Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Actually not quite.

Myrelle "in defiance of all laws and customs married all of her warders" or something like that.

Except the Aiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I know, just that randland in general, it's not strictly legal everywhere.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Verin never disappoints. She was a badass bookworm.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The true RJ self-insert

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If i were the chosen one I'd want the love of three drop-dead gorgeous babes as well :colbert:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was gonna make a joke about Randland having whatever laws he feels like, then I realized the continent doesn’t actually have a name. That’s more surprising than I thought it’s be cause I could have sworn it did.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can be sure we wouldn't be calling it Randland if it did.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It started getting called "the Westlands" in the Big Book of Bad Art after Jordan realized people were calling it randland

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Technically it's called the Westlands but I don't think it's ever actually stated in the narrative itself and that only comes from the RPG source book.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kinda annoyed the land of madmen has absolutely no place in the story what-so-ever. Sanderson even teases it in the intro, but it really is just there to justify an ocean or two, I guess?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
early on in the series I expected there to be a lot more globe trotting instead of the "squatting in the same five places doing nothing" that marks the late middle period of the series

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.amazon.com/Origins-Wheel-Time-Mythologies-Inspired/dp/1250860520

god I can't loving wait

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Kinda annoyed the land of madmen has absolutely no place in the story what-so-ever. Sanderson even teases it in the intro, but it really is just there to justify an ocean or two, I guess?

It's a Mad Max joke. The place is Mad Max Australia with channellers instead of guns and cars.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1539654698986221569?s=20&t=BhETpASjscbqDKRRUBmd9g

:eyepop:

It seems that people are finding these auditions on vimeo and not youtube.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 22, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

jng2058 posted:

It's a Mad Max joke. The place is Mad Max Australia with channellers instead of guns and cars.

Sold, show me the WoT equivalent of the Doof Wagon

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AnEdgelord posted:

Sold, show me the WoT equivalent of the Doof Wagon

Rand built it in Cairhien. Well, had it built.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm rereading and am about halfway through Lord of Chaos. It's crazy to watch how stupid everyone is when Egwene is in the room. Literally anything Egwene plans goes perfectly. Even when her plans fail it works out better for her than if the plan succeeded. It's just boring. Elayne has grown on me this reread but I'm sure when I get to the pregnancy arc I'll be annoyed at her knowing she has plot armor.

I enjoy reading pretending it's the actors from the show in these roles though. It's made me hate Egwene less and hope that she's less of a narcissist. Maybe they'll cut out her attempting to dream rape one of her best friends and then giggling about it in the show. That would help make me hate her less.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
No that part is critical to the story, and if Rafe cuts it out then he's even more cowardly than I thought.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gawyn would be so annoying if he and Egwene survived the last battle. He’d continue through life thinking he’s the main character who always makes the critical right choices and never realize all his success comes from everyone being afraid of Egwene steamrolling them with her dictatorial leadership style.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Here's a breakdown of all known S2 filming locations if any are interested

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1541845283776016384

EDIT: i just watched this and there's a lot of poo poo i didn't know and have never seen before, check it out.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

We also got confimation that Xelia Mendes-Jones is deffo in season 2 in a recurring role thanks to a Variety article about the Fallout series.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/fallout-amazon-series-cast-kyle-maclachlan-xelia-mendes-jones-aaron-moten-1235305085/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maiden handtalk confirmed. Dialect coach made a post about her work on the show.

Naomi Joy Todd posted:

Finally, for this show we are also inventing a new sign language. I am liaising with a wonderful actor, presenter, and creator in the deaf community called Gavin Lilley to create this language. We have worked together to build a language from the ground up, and are now working to teach it to the actors who use it to communicate in the show. It is a thrilling thing to do, and I’m so excited to see them using the language on screen!

https://naomijoytodd.co.uk/2022/04/27/the-wheel-of-time/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loving hell, yes.

I hope they somehow, inexplicably include the not-mocking comment from Liah to Aviendha.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

Maiden handtalk confirmed. Dialect coach made a post about her work on the show.

https://naomijoytodd.co.uk/2022/04/27/the-wheel-of-time/

I'm not a fan of all the changes the show has made and still think the last episode was a really boring and trite finale despite generally liking the first 7 episodes, but I'll never stop being impressed by how much effort everyone involved in the show seems to be putting in to make it. The behind the scenes videos on Prime show loads of effort into designing all the different cultures, cities etc, the Amazon trivia thing has loads of information, photos, maps and everyone involved just seems to be having a blast as well as really wanting to tell the story. It certainly comes off like if they can get a season or three behind them that all the production stuff happening in the background will really pay off long term for them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

tsob posted:

all the production stuff happening in the background will really pay off long term for them

Speaking of production stuff check out this high fall rehearsal

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfY0UymjesC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tsob posted:

I'm not a fan of all the changes the show has made and still think the last episode was a really boring and trite finale despite generally liking the first 7 episodes, but I'll never stop being impressed by how much effort everyone involved in the show seems to be putting in to make it. The behind the scenes videos on Prime show loads of effort into designing all the different cultures, cities etc, the Amazon trivia thing has loads of information, photos, maps and everyone involved just seems to be having a blast as well as really wanting to tell the story. It certainly comes off like if they can get a season or three behind them that all the production stuff happening in the background will really pay off long term for them.

also important to consider that rafe judkins has very much gone on record saying that he wanted more episodes in season 1, so they were definitely working with a truncated timeline there. will be interesting to see what they can do if/when they get the support they want

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

Speaking of production stuff check out this high fall rehearsal

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfY0UymjesC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

People getting blasted off walls by OP? I can't think of a need for this. Sea Folk falling from masts maybe?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

People getting blasted off walls by OP? I can't think of a need for this. Sea Folk falling from masts maybe?

Lookin at some of that guys other stuff I was 50% convinced this was training/rehearsing for season 3 poo poo. He's got some parkour, desert warrior stuff going on.

Could be falling off of Falme walls :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean I am totally on board with people actually doing sick falls instead of camera tricks, I don't want to sound like I'm not.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of the sea folk, hopefully the coward Rafe lets them go tits out :sun:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hexel posted:

Speaking of the sea folk, hopefully the coward Rafe lets them go tits out :sun:

listen if we didn't get Qartheen fashion we ain't getting sea folk fashion

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given the staffs efforts to position the show as being less objectifying to women than peers like Game of Thrones I doubt they'll have Sea Folk going bare chested. Maybe they'll be equal opportunity objectifiers and have everyone naked bar their jewelry when off-shore though, and hang some dong as well as show the occasional breast? Aiel sweat tents could give opportunity for that, even if Sea Folk ships don't. They're a lot more common in the story too.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think the sweat tent will be all cheeks and no dong. The show got a PG-13 feel to me.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Seanchan concept art

Caption reads: I’ve never shared these before, partially because the final versions ended up looking very different on screen. But it was fun exploring these different looks of Seanchan culture with @isismussenden on @thewheeloftime

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfcNIApvCew/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hexel posted:

I think the sweat tent will be all cheeks and no dong. The show got a PG-13 feel to me.

There is at least one full-frontal female shot in the background of Moraine's bath scene in the white tower. That's a bit much for PG-13.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

Seanchan concept art

Caption reads: I’ve never shared these before, partially because the final versions ended up looking very different on screen. But it was fun exploring these different looks of Seanchan culture with @isismussenden on @thewheeloftime

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfcNIApvCew/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yeah they're going more Aztec style than Japanese. I was really hoping that would be the case.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

There is at least one full-frontal female shot in the background of Moraine's bath scene in the white tower. That's a bit much for PG-13.

I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps to that precedent, with bare breasts or full frontal of either sex being mostly non-sexual and small parts or extras. With as little of it as happens with the Sea Folk in the books (since almost all their on-page time is in harbor or on land), it wouldn't be out of place for it to come up at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I also recently finished the series. I overall enjoyed it quite a lot, though I agree the series definitely drags rear end for a few books. I have some character complaints.

-Perrin: Perrin has this entire like 8 book long plot arc where he refuses to poo poo or get off the pot regarding embracing becoming a leader and it drags on for way too loving long. It made sense that he was pulling the "I'm not a leader, I'm a simple blacksmith" when he had to defend the Two Rivers and shortly thereafter, but he's leading armies for half a dozen books after and is still "I'm a simple blacksmith, tear that flag down" and it's infuriating. He finally embraces being a leader...just in time to say "only I can go fight this secondary antagonist that no one else cares about at all in the Matrix, take over Tam" and fucks off and his entire role in the last battle has nothing to do with his main plot thread that he waffled on for the entire series. Awful.

-Egwene: Egwene's development is extremely weird to me, because it doesn't feel like she develops so much as she's replaced by another character entirely. She goes from hot-headed, impatient novice to omni-competent political schemer and leader virtually the nanosecond she's appointed Amyrlin. Every scene she gets from that moment on is basically Egwene either owning or setting up an own on everyone opposing her, and I'm pretty sure the only character she's not allowed to just totally clown on for the rest of the series is Rand. I didn't dislike her but I found her arc to be flat and unsatisfying because it doesn't really feel like she grew into her position, it's just explained away by Siuan tutoring her offscreen.

-Mat: Mat starts off terrible and it takes a while for him to actually become a character, but his sideline stuff actually gets quite good and his weird relationship with Tuon is interesting. My only real complaint about him mostly comes from him not getting enough room to breathe - it really feels like there needed to be some room for him to gently caress with Seanchan culture in some way. The end-of-book status quo being "Mat is effectively cool with slavery" is weird.

-Gawyn and Galad: I'm putting these two together because I find their perspectives equally pointless. I don't understand what either of them getting as much page time as they did added to the story. Gawyn's entire plot arc is "argh, I hate the main character for dubious reasons because I'm not the main character" and his actions in the last battle are unconscionably stupid. Galad's plot arc is "I'm the *reasonable* religious zealot", he gets a last second "I'm Rand's brother" thing that adds absolutely nothing, and then he rides off to get owned in the exact same way Gawyn did while accomplishing nothing. What's the point?

-Moiraine: I don't really have a problem with Moiraine in general so much as her treatment in the last battle. They make a big point of her going with Rand and Nynaeve to the bore, but after her final conversation with Rand pre-battle I'm pretty sure she doesn't get another line in the book. While Rand was having existential mind battles and Nynaeve was helping Alanna I really would have liked something for Moiraine to do - maybe have her verbally sparring with Moridin or something?

-The Black Tower: The tiny glimpse we get into Black Tower politics in the last couple of books just makes me sad that we got so little of it. The stuff going on there was a lot more interesting and compelling than The Search For Faile or the agonizingly boring Andoran succession.

I give Brando Sando a whole heap of credit for managing to write a fantasy battle that lasts like 700 pages and juggles about 15 perspectives while remaining engaging throughout and not becoming completely incoherent.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 1, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There was a plan for later books where Mat would not be okay with the slavery thing, so it's less that in the final books he's cool with it and more that "first we have to deal with the war to unravel reality, then we deal with slavery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Congrats you’ve basically nailed the same points everyone basically agrees with in the books. What I kinda wonder though, he must have known about all the complaints people had about the series since it went on for so long, did he just not give a poo poo?