Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

LLSix posted:

The chicken fighting the fox is the high point of that section. If you didn't enjoy the fight or anything up to that, you're not going to like it. Sorry, but good on you for trying something different.

Understood. I've found other stories in the genre that I enjoyed, but I guess this one isn't for me. Just wondered if the writing or story changed significantly. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I on the other hand got to the chicken/fox fight and knew my sleep was hosed for the night. One of those books that makes me get big stupid grins on my face and have to put the book down for a minute

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

pradmer posted:

When does it get good? I tried it when it was still on royalroad and read until a chicken fought a fox and gave up because it was pretty bad up to that point.

Yeah as the others were saying it's more about the comedy and the daily life shenanigans. What kind of stuff do you enjoy? It kinda relies on knowledge of Cultivation tropes.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I just started reading the KU version of Beware of Chicken, having read some of the story a few years ago when it was only on RR.

I don’t want to discount the fact that not all artistic endeavors are for everyone, a fact that I’m a firm believer in, but… the chicken vs fox fight happens in chapter 3, literally 6% of the way through the book. I can understand not appreciating what the story is going for, especially if you aren’t familiar with the cultivation genre tropes it pokes fun at, but that’s not giving a lot of time for it to get its legs under itself before writing it off.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Silynt posted:

I just started reading the KU version of Beware of Chicken, having read some of the story a few years ago when it was only on RR.

I don’t want to discount the fact that not all artistic endeavors are for everyone, a fact that I’m a firm believer in, but… the chicken vs fox fight happens in chapter 3, literally 6% of the way through the book. I can understand not appreciating what the story is going for, especially if you aren’t familiar with the cultivation genre tropes it pokes fun at, but that’s not giving a lot of time for it to get its legs under itself before writing it off.

Fair. This is back when it was all on royalroad and there were effectively infinite other stories to try if something didn't grab me right away. That's why I asked to see if I was missing something.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm re-reading Cradle before Dreadgod arrives I see why I was confused about the guy Suriel comes to deal with right at the start - I was always unsure if he was meant to be an Abadon level dude returning to Cradle, or just a [low]gold+ summoned from elsewhere on Cradle and his crime was returning to Sacred valley. At one point during a Suriel PoV she refers to him as "the gold practitioner", and I figured she'd know, but now I think that's just a little author error. The people in Sacred valley thought of him that way, because they thought gold was the mythical peak and his clan gave him a gold badge, but there's no reason for Suriel to think that, and the guy has to be Monarch+ since he ascended beyond Cradle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Right, he's "Gold" insofar as they gave him the gold badge and he was like "no other golds around? sure this'll do for now even though I'm way past it" and he's (presumably) still carrying it when Suriel undoes him, but yeah he's not actually gold, he's Monarch+

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I think it was confirmed by Will off the record that the Li Patriarch was a Sage. Back then he did lots of Q & As on his blog, doing worldbuilding and stuff. I think he always advised nothing was canon until it was in the books but off the top of my head I can’t think of an example where he contradicted himself. Maybe the name of one of the Judges? I think that’s why Reaper has the joke about the Judge changing their name.

There used to be an archive somewhere with all the stuff he posted about Cradle, the Word of Will of something like that. Dunno if it’s still around.

Edit: Also, I find that whole scene very interesting now that we know how Sacred Valley works. The Li Patriarch HAS to establish his overwhelming strength as soon as he arrives because if he waits too long his strength won’t be nearly as overwhelming anymore.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 23, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Strictly speaking Will said he's equivalent in power to a Sage, IIRC he was an archlord when he ascended, then got other magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh man that Li dude was even more of an idiot if he was only Sage level. Not only do you have the Abideen who could come at any moment but you also have the Monarchs on Cradle.

Or just anyone in Sacred Valley after a few weeks as Adama found out :v:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zore posted:

Or just anyone in Sacred Valley after a few weeks as Adama found out :v:
I think the rub there is that his other, non-Cradle magic might be unaffected by the Sacred Valley suppression field.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Silynt posted:

There used to be an archive somewhere with all the stuff he posted about Cradle, the Word of Will of something like that. Dunno if it’s still around.

https://abidanarchive.com/

Darkrenown posted:

At one point during a Suriel PoV she refers to him as "the gold practitioner", and I figured she'd know, but now I think that's just a little author error.

So this was partially a case of Wight not having fully worked out the magic system at that point, but also not wanting to overwhelm the reader with too much terminology at that point.

https://abidanarchive.com/events/7/#e621
https://abidanarchive.com/events/1/#e476

Abidan Archive posted:

Zhanzy
Suriel mentions Li Markuth as Gold whereas we know he is greater than that and possibly an archlord so is this a mistake ?

Will Wight
That was me looking for an imperfect solution to a problem.I never intended Li Markuth to merely be Gold, which is why he says as much when he shows up, and of course Suriel knows exactly what his power level is. However, I didn’t want to throw new terms at the reader in book one, so I had her refer to him in the same way everyone else was.Of course, now it’s confusing. In hindsight, I should have said something like “The stronger practitioner’s core.”

https://abidanarchive.com/events/1/#e476

What's interesting to me is, as a self-pub author, he can go back and update this if he wants. I'll be curious to look when the Kickstarter print editions ship whether he does update this to be clearer, since he is updating the interior to have bloopers anyway.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Silynt posted:

No one owes a book or an author anything. If it doesn't click for someone in the first 6% or the first 60% deciding to drop it and move on is perfectly valid.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

8one6 posted:

No one owes a book or an author anything. If it doesn't click for someone in the first 6% or the first 60% deciding to drop it and move on is perfectly valid.

Ok.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Picked up Beware of Chicken because of this thread and the bandit fight had me grinning like an idiot.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019

8one6 posted:

Word. Hence why KU is so attractive to some.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
How the gently caress is Beware of Chicken so good? I don’t even read litRPGs or whatever and holy crap, hit on all cylinders. Between this and Joel Sheppard I can’t believe the amount of great content I’ve read on KU just in the last month.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I usually post over in the other SF/F thread, but figured I'd give it a shot over here: has anyone read The Blackpowder Deliverance? Unironically liking it so far but I'm only about half though. Written a lot better than I would have thought for self-pub steampunk.

8one6
May 20, 2012

If anyone is in the mood for a supers/comics read Forging Hephaestus by Drew Hayes is a pretty solid read. (It's also a long read though.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

8one6 posted:

If anyone is in the mood for a supers/comics read Forging Hephaestus by Drew Hayes is a pretty solid read. (It's also a long read though.)

Yes, it's fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Remulak posted:

How the gently caress is Beware of Chicken so good? I don’t even read litRPGs or whatever and holy crap, hit on all cylinders. Between this and Joel Sheppard I can’t believe the amount of great content I’ve read on KU just in the last month.

Amusingly, Beware of Chicken's author is as surprised as everyone else.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Its kind of ironic that Beware of Chicken is so good since The author has said he planed for it to be another power fantasy harem fic that KU is full of but instead we get one of the best Cultivation based novels I have read.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Dreadgod audio preview just went up on Will Wight's YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HkCaZsJeo

Transcript on Abidan Archive:
https://www.abidanarchive.com/events/23-dreadgod-audio-excerpt/

Uh oh. What is neo-Dross up to?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

8one6 posted:

The Sequel was good too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight I read the Blackpowder Deliverance. I really don't know where I got this from. Maybe it was the forums but I'm pretty sure it was from a random authors note on RoyalRoad, and good Lord you think Amazon suggestions are bad? Author recommendations are 100x more useless because you can never tell when they're being polite, they actually like the book, or they're just plugging their friend. Or been paid to plug someone. Most of these I've seen have been for other serials but sometimes it's a real book. Usually I've either already read them or they suck really bad, but this one was pretty good. It got sold as some kind of 'black powder thriller' (what does that even mean?), but whatever. It's about a small time thug who really does not want to be one, but just has to because the part of town he lives in is completely owned by either a relatively small mob boss, or the Chandler's Union which is literally a mafia with good branding. It's a mystery novel of the type where nothing is particularly twisty or surprising, but instead a twisted political mess where everyone is a scum bag.

It's got some fantasy elements to it, but not particularly original. I'm pretty sure it's basically a straight rip off of Dishonored, actually, which also featured a union turned mafia, although the game never clarified if it was an actual trade union or a guild. Anyway, it's a vaguely 1800s setting, complete with steam ships, trains, and poo poo like phonographs and patented medicine. I guess it's probably a spoiler but it mentions it in the first few pages: the city is literally rotting, weird cancerous growths just show up and people haul it out of the city to burn, and working in the burn pits is pretty much considered to be as healthy as selling yourself into a mine labor contract before OSHA and modern equipment existed. Aka you'd be lucky to live out a year most places.

All in all I give it a 6/10, it wasn't interesting enough to recommend but it wasn't too mediocre to bother talking about. The author should try coming up with something original instead of writing a Dishonored fanfiction with serial numbers filed off, though. All this needed was whale cultists to really sell it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Victorkm posted:

The Sequel was good too.

Good to know. I just started on it a couple of hours ago.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Remulak posted:

I liked Beware of Chicken so much I looked up Joel Sheppard since you put them in the same sentence. Recently took a break on the David Drake RCN series thinking "I still want to read some mil SF, but give me some dang aliens!" oh yeah I can't put this one down :thumbsup:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I liked Beware of Chicken so much I looked up Joel Sheppard since you put them in the same sentence. Recently took a break on the David Drake RCN series thinking "I still want to read some mil SF, but give me some dang aliens!" oh yeah I can't put this one down :thumbsup:

If you're willing to descend a level of quality and need more than Shepard's 8 huge doorstoppers, Glynn Stewart has the Duchess of Terra series that fits your description. It isn't as good as Shepard's stuff, more on the turn your brain off and enjoy airport fiction level, but is still in the top 5% of KU and it's nice to read mil sf that isn't written by a crazy person (plus he writes insanely fast). My list of decent sci-fi/fantasy authors on KU is basically Shepard, Stewart, Rachel Aaron, Will Wight, and Drew Hayes though after Beware of Chicken was so good, I'll probably have to add casualfarmer to the list.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I will second the Glynn Stewart recommendation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There's now an official recap comic for Reaper: https://imgur.com/a/um9GwET?fbclid=IwAR1ZYXsOJth7QAJiroQhJiFXKiAXhI-qxToKZsLAkvI8lqcGxfxzxjEjHBA

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Holy crap that is really good.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Wow. I don't even like graphic novels normally but I would buy this for the whole series if it existed.

Actually no, I hope Will Wight does a Kickstarter with this artist to produce an anime version of Cradle. His team has already looked into what would be involved in getting an original anime produced, I believe. I would back that!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I always imagined Lindon and Ziel were more jacked

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

As with most of the art, both official and fan varieties, the way the characters are drawn doesn't really match their descriptions. Yerin should be a lot shorter compared to Lindon, for example.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

Tonight I read the Blackpowder Deliverance. I really don't know where I got this from. Maybe it was the forums but I'm pretty sure it was from a random authors note on RoyalRoad, and good Lord you think Amazon suggestions are bad? Author recommendations are 100x more useless because you can never tell when they're being polite, they actually like the book, or they're just plugging their friend. Or been paid to plug someone. Most of these I've seen have been for other serials but sometimes it's a real book. Usually I've either already read them or they suck really bad, but this one was pretty good. It got sold as some kind of 'black powder thriller' (what does that even mean?), but whatever. It's about a small time thug who really does not want to be one, but just has to because the part of town he lives in is completely owned by either a relatively small mob boss, or the Chandler's Union which is literally a mafia with good branding. It's a mystery novel of the type where nothing is particularly twisty or surprising, but instead a twisted political mess where everyone is a scum bag.

Finished it tonight myself, nice to see he stuck the landing. I liked the book overall and agree with a lot of your review. The setting is extremely Dishonored (there's even an 0451 reference near the end) but as far as I remember there is no magic or anything other-worldly except for that weird cancer stuff. Voe was a great character, and his relationship with Fen was a highlight of the book for me, but some of the other characters like that one slave of Harlow's are pretty undeveloped. I'm surprised at how good the prose was compared to some of the other self-pub stuff I've been abusing myself with lately. But not like that is an especially high bar.

tldr, better than it should be, i recommend it for anyone who likes muskets

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eason the Fifth posted:

Finished it tonight myself, nice to see he stuck the landing. I liked the book overall and agree with a lot of your review. The setting is extremely Dishonored (there's even an 0451 reference near the end) but as far as I remember there is no magic or anything other-worldly except for that weird cancer stuff. Voe was a great character, and his relationship with Fen was a highlight of the book for me, but some of the other characters like that one slave of Harlow's are pretty undeveloped. I'm surprised at how good the prose was compared to some of the other self-pub stuff I've been abusing myself with lately. But not like that is an especially high bar.

tldr, better than it should be, i recommend it for anyone who likes muskets

Yeah it's an acceptable 7/10 or so I guess. But nothing to write home about either.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

8one6 posted:

I will second the Glynn Stewart recommendation.

Duchess of Terra is good. Most of it is fairly reasonable people solving problems in a reasonable way as well as dealing with the aftermath of paranoia/reasonable contingency planning against threats. Love it when “kill slavers” is a core recurring thread.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

As with most of the art, both official and fan varieties, the way the characters are drawn doesn't really match their descriptions. Yerin should be a lot shorter compared to Lindon, for example.

It's one thing to write "Lindon is tall" and another to avoid cutting off his head in every panel.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019

LLSix posted:

Amusingly, Beware of Chicken's author is as surprised as everyone else.

I asked him when book 2 was hitting Amazon and he said he didn't know, but hopes for sometime this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's one thing to write "Lindon is tall" and another to avoid cutting off his head in every panel.
He's supposed to be this bigass bruiser but everyone just gives him anime protagonist babyface instead.

Okay in this comic he's not really a babyface, but his face doesn't scream THUG either like the books describe