Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
And Aether! Limsa, moments after disaster:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

Huh, got dced which happens, but 245 player queue? Guessing this was not on my end, nor on SEs end as that is a lot, but nowhere near a full server load o.o

Twibbit posted:

Everyone in the dungeon also was kicked, but only 3 of us came back so far
It's definitely on SE's end, people on several datacenters report disconnects and hundreds of people in the queue when they come back, mine was just about 600 people in front of me on Excalibur. Your 3/4 of the party just got lucky to get back early before the queue was longer :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Queues in this game seem to resolve quickly. Have I just been lucky? I've never waited more than a minute or two.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

Queues in this game seem to resolve quickly. Have I just been lucky? I've never waited more than a minute or two.

That's always the case unless the servers suddenly have a hiccup and everyone logs back in at the same time, like what just happened, or an expac releases.

In the latter case it is severe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

If the queue is less than a hundred then it's not actually the case that the world is full. It's just that they only process one login at a time for technical reasons so it takes a minute to get to everyone

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Inzombiac posted:

Nah that's normal, the usual like 40-50 person queue is just limiting the number of people logging in at once, the world isn't actually full. You only get real queues when the server crashes, like today, or when an expansion launches.

There were really bad queues for Endwalker, since the game had an influx of WoW refugees in the previous year so they had a lot more people than they expected. The waits were multiple hours at peak times, it was rough. It also revealed an old flaw in the client software from back in the 1.0 days, where you could randomly get disconnected and lose your place in line. They did finally fix that, at least.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Do you guys keep every artifact set in your glamour dresser? That eats up a lot of space, and I feel like most of them have limited potential for mixing and matching, being class locked to begin with. I keep most of mine on retainers, unless I really really like the set, and then I usually just use the whole set.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just throw away AF sets. You can reclaim them for a pittance at any time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I keep everything that can't be desynthed or turned into seals. I am psycho and also dumb as hell

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I don't keep anything that can be gotten back from a Salvager in my dresser unless i'm actively using it for glams. I can spare the 1000 gil it costs to get something back.

I hit 400/400 in my dresser recently and even with the coming dresser size increase, I've worked on cleaning out what I currently have in there. I think I'm now at 257/400. I figure if I do it now, I can get rid of pieces I don't really care about and then I'll be able to leave my dresser alone for years to come.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Can't the artifact sets generally be put in the armoire?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Martman posted:

Can't the artifact sets generally be put in the armoire?

Only the original ARR armor sets, and only the non-upgraded versions.

Most of what fits in the armoire are seasonal event items and some achievement rewards.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Fastest mogstation purchase I've ever made

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Only the original ARR armor sets, and only the non-upgraded versions.

Most of what fits in the armoire are seasonal event items and some achievement rewards.
Oh oops I guess I was thinking of those original ones. Yeah just trash 'em and calamity salvage them if/when you need them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Aside from the obvious stuff (FFXIV Store purchases), I keep anything that I like that would otherwise be a pain in the rear end to replace, like a specific drop from a hard-to-run dungeon (usually content within the current leveling band or content with limited drop opportunities like Skalla), something that would require an inordinate amount of effort to replace like Anemos gear, or expensive glam items. I make a few exceptions for pieces I like that I both use frequently and have applied a Jet Black/Pure White to.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Fastest mogstation purchase I've ever made

gently caress. gently caress those are the expedition shorts without the leather straps aren't they? I'm gonna have to...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

gently caress. gently caress those are the expedition shorts without the leather straps aren't they? I'm gonna have to...

Note that those are not part of the set - they're girl-only Garo pieces. IIRC, every role except NIN/RPR and tanks (with the sole exception of GNB) can get an equivalent version.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

Note that those are not part of the set - they're girl-only Garo pieces. IIRC, every role except NIN/RPR and tanks (with the sole exception of GNB) can get an equivalent version.

Uggghhh. Why not dudes too?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

where the gently caress are the hotpants for DUDES yoshi-p

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Because dudes get to be toyetic

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

The Spring Bottoms you can get from the vendor near the fashion challenge are close enough and work for all roles (female only as well, the male version is longer)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Martman posted:

Oh oops I guess I was thinking of those original ones. Yeah just trash 'em and calamity salvage them if/when you need them.

Unless they’re the Heavensward sets, those are a bit of a pain in the rear end to get again since they cost seals

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Control Volume posted:

where the gently caress are the hotpants for DUDES yoshi-p

You gotta build your own short shorts by combining pants with something that gives leg tattoos. Ravel Keeper's Sandals of Aiming is the main one I can think of

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Unless they’re the Heavensward sets, those are a bit of a pain in the rear end to get again since they cost seals
Man... I'm just wrong and confused today. I really thought they all unlocked at the calamity salvager, no idea why they made it that confusing. To be fair though a full set of that armor including weapon is less than 600 centurio seals which is not a huge deal if you suddenly need a particular glam.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

You gotta build your own short shorts by combining pants with something that gives leg tattoos. Ravel Keeper's Sandals of Aiming is the main one I can think of

drat, I didnt even know there was glamour tech like this

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Martman posted:

Man... I'm just wrong and confused today. I really thought they all unlocked at the calamity salvager, no idea why they made it that confusing. To be fair though a full set of that armor including weapon is less than 600 centurio seals which is not a huge deal if you suddenly need a particular glam.

it's a leftover of them figuring out what they wanted itemization to be, how they wanted people to gear up, and the existing patterns for gear retirement. In 2.x and 3.x both the first capped tomestone set was artifact gear (in ARR's case, the i90 version you get from your level 50 job quest). in ARR, when the tomestones advanced to the point where the former capped tome was deprecated, they moved it to dungeons, which didn't really work out long-term since nobody runs level 50 expert dungeons now.

HW is therefore a halfway point in the development of gear progression, since they had hit on the idea of "first capped tomestone set moves to seals" but hadn't fully committed to the idea of "artifact gear for the expansion is your base set at level cap."

Having the first set of capped tomes be job locked instead of role locked gear also meant gearing slowed down, which meant progression slowed down as people had to commit to gearing one job over one role, in an era where job variance within each role was immense and swapping out even one DPS meant massive potential variance in your strategies and what you're allowed to do. In ARR slowing progression down was wanted because they were still trying to fudge their way to content longevity, and in HW it was a response to requests for raiding to be harder--so they gave Midas savage pretty harsh gear gating.

the hidden corners of this game have a LOT of these relics of previous decisions, though it's become more and more difficult to find them as things gradually get smoothed out.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 30, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

A Moose posted:

Do you guys keep every artifact set in your glamour dresser? That eats up a lot of space, and I feel like most of them have limited potential for mixing and matching, being class locked to begin with. I keep most of mine on retainers, unless I really really like the set, and then I usually just use the whole set.

No, because I really only care about glams for my main job, which is currently reaper. So my glam dresser is something like 90% a mix of reaper and universal glams and then a tiny handful of others that I just really liked enough to give them a plate. Off the top of my head that's a nin glam I have used forever, current gnb af, an alch glam that mixes af1 and 2, gsm af2 and wvr af... 4? The shb set. Oh and a healer glam. Looking forward to the cap going up because there's a bunch of crafted reaper sets I've been meaning to make but can't justify it since my dresser is nearly full and so is my reaper specific glam retainer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Any recommendations for the best quickly soloable dungeons to grind up a ton of GC seals for the ARR relic in a jiffy?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Any recommendations for the best quickly soloable dungeons to grind up a ton of GC seals for the ARR relic in a jiffy?
Might not be the quickest per run, but if you still need the Starbird minion you could grind out the first 90 MSQ dungeon for that drop with trusts and rack up a crapton of GC seals in the process.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I'd probably just Trust out whatever ShB/EW dungeon you find the easiest or need a minion from. Otherwise, just the highest-level dungeon you can solo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Probably whatever the highest level you can comfortably solo without using the Duty Support or Trust system, since those practically halve the amount of gear you get.

I don't know if there's now some break point between the GC turn-in value and time taken, but I didn't see anything like that when I last went looking a year or two ago.

You might also look into the daily DoH/L turn-ins, since those reward seals too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Regalingualius posted:

If I'm going for seals I generally hit the roulettes so I can mulch tomestone gear while I'm at it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Onean posted:

Probably whatever the highest level you can comfortably solo without using the Duty Support or Trust system, since those practically halve the amount of gear you get.

Yup. Usually whatever the highest level dungeon you can do from two expansions ago is fastest, since you'll be able to nearly one-hit normal trash and can safely power through most boss mechanics. Hard St. Mocianne's will probably be your best bet, since its trash is fairly straightforwards and it lacks bosses with weird immunity phases.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Fastest way to get GC seals is to buy cheap green gear people mb from quick ventures, it's trivial to get over a 1 to 1 seal/gil return.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you can beat ravana ex in a minute or less as a 90 dps, then open the coffer as a paladin to have three to four items to turn in.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
The best dungeon unsync'd is Shisui, but I think the best seals per second is mass crafting level 80 accessories from the second ShB tier.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Where the heck am I supposed to get 590 accessory gear? Seems like the raid only drops left side stuff.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Consummate Professional posted:

Where the heck am I supposed to get 590 accessory gear? Seems like the raid only drops left side stuff.

You can buy it with the tomestones of astronomy from Radz-at-Han.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Augmented crafted gear as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
To list the entire set of currently relevant options for accessories:
580: Crafted, Extreme Trial 1, Normal Raid
590: Augmented Crafted, Limited Tomestones
600: Savage, Augmented Limited Tomestones

580 crafted accessories are generally better than all the 590 stuff if pentamelded. Pentamelding costs >1M gil and is unlikely to be a thing you want to do this late into the patch. For some jobs (specifically: healers who want min Piety), using one pentamelded 580 crafted ring remains best-in-slot.