Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Epilogue Hahaha Nasu just wants more screentime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I guess the only thing I remained a little disappointed with after the whole sequel is said and done involves Ryuki - FULL GAME SPOILERS BELOW

We already know he's mentally unstable and also relatively crazy, so him being infected with TC-PERGE doesn't really seem to matter much if at all. I know from the moment it was first introduced I knew he had it (and so did probably every other player), so it became not about "if" he has TCP but rather "when did he get it" and "how is it affecting him?"

For the most part Ryuki doesn't really change much at all. He remains consistently pretty crazy. I am unsure if the true zigzaggy timeline goes further and directly shows Ryuki's worst freakouts where he spouts gibberish and stands still for hours all happening in the "Present" (thus post-infection), but even if that were the case he would have been infected with TCP for six years at that point and he hasn't gone missing or had his brain completely turned to mush...he just drinks a lot and accidentally shoots a guy he thought was pulling a gun on him.

I would have gone back myself and checked his scenes, but the True Timeline really screws with my perception and I would probably have to go through the whole game again from the start with that knowledge to piece all of it back together properly in my head.

I guess I feel the plot point of "Ryuku is infected with TC-PERGE" should've had at least one major consequences besides a non fatal shooting of a completely unimportant background character.

I suppose I just don't really understand Ryuki's purpose in the game in general. I do like him, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I agree that Ryuki feels a tad bit underbaked, especially because once you're done with his endings, he basically fucks off for most of the rest of the game. I think it would have been nice to have a little back and forth between the two sides so you're not like "Oh, you" when you're finally playing as Mizuki again and "Oh, you" when Ryuki comes back into play

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was a good game :unsmith: I'd put it at least on the same level as the original, a worthy sequel. Some parts are better, some parts are weaker. Gonna have to marinate a bit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ryuki Chapter 5 R1:

What the gently caress.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

Ryuki Chapter 5 R1:

What the gently caress.

Make sure to go to that last location on the list last for an extra surprise :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah I didn't even think it could go that high

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I forget where I read it and I dunno if it's legit but I remember that Komeji's design sort of came about as Uchikoshi remember some dude "who had a really square face" and him just wanting to take that to it's absolute logical extreme for no apparent reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Average A-Set Fans vs Average Komeji Enjoyers

E:
https://i.imgur.com/iFTwYXp.mp4

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 1, 2022

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm not very far in this game but I love that this game allows me to be TWICE as irritating to Kagami.

Is Komeji's weird square head ever explained? Or is that just a thing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's just a thing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mizuki route chapter 3: Holy gently caress the Masked Woman's somnium. :catstare:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thinking back on it after the AI:NI game clear, and I just realized

Jin Furue basically got handed some of the worst genetic luck possible? Being born to two monstrous parents with the hosed up tumor disease, the unwilling and kidnapped donor boy keeping him alive, and then presumably by the time Jin became sentient enough to try to at least apologize to Uru about the entire situation it isn't accepted and he is sucker punched then murdered

Rough life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nyoro posted:

Thinking back on it after the AI:NI game clear, and I just realized

Jin Furue basically got handed some of the worst genetic luck possible? Being born to two monstrous parents with the hosed up tumor disease, the unwilling and kidnapped donor boy keeping him alive, and then presumably by the time Jin became sentient enough to try to at least apologize to Uru about the entire situation it isn't accepted and he is sucker punched then murdered

Rough life.

I think I just assumed that the tumor stuff was due to the usual genetic fuckery, but do we know that Chikara was meddling with Jin? I know he said he was almighty when he was born, which would seem to suggest that he was seen as a culmination of Chikara's work.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I think I just assumed that the tumor stuff was due to the usual genetic fuckery, but do we know that Chikara was meddling with Jin? I know he said he was almighty when he was born, which would seem to suggest that he was seen as a culmination of Chikara's work.

he’s the “allmighty” because he has a % shaped birth mark on his face and his dad is an insane cultist

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, that makes sense. Also the Order of the %'s symbol in the AI sight always looked like Ultraman to me.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I imagine this game will be controversial as: ending spoiler like ZTD it makes the player a character and doesn't explain why it does that very much which makes the twist feel arbitrary.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's extremely smart that they are making games in this series basically self contained. Zero time dilemma's problem, besides being bad in its own right, was the massive weight of expectation sitting on it to deal with everything that had been set up. If an aisom has a wack twist I just shrug and look to the parts I had fun with anyway, it didn't Ruin the Canon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LostRook posted:

I imagine this game will be controversial as: ending spoiler like ZTD it makes the player a character and doesn't explain why it does that very much which makes the twist feel arbitrary.

I mean, honestly, it was pretty much entirely metatextual and it kinda fits with the underlying theme of simulation theory to address the person controlling the simulated reality

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just remembered something that always annoyed me about Virtue’s Last Reward. Sigma sees a hologram of an old man he has never seen before who say “I am Zero.” He knows Zero is a part of their group. Why does he never go “hang on…one of the group is a guy in a robot suit covering his face and we have no idea what he looks like!? K is Zero!?!?!”

Like surely he can’t be so dumb as to not make that completely logical conclusion.

Edit: yes I realize K wasn’t actually Zero but in that situation only someone who’s completely brain dead wouldn’t go “hmmm could it be K?”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 2, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But K is nice!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mizuki Chapter 1:

Iris just referenced "Chug Jug With You", I changed my mind this game is terrible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

Mizuki Chapter 1:

Iris just referenced "Chug Jug With You", I changed my mind this game is terrible

How much do you think that single bar of American Boy cost them

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

wait hold the phone. Was it ever explained why Gen was in Tokiko's somnium?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

wait hold the phone. Was it ever explained why Gen was in Tokiko's somnium?

He was the result of genetic experimentation by Chikara. So assumedly he would've has a least a passing acquaintance with her given she was passing through the institute pretty regularly to talk to Tearer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

To add on to that, Present Tokiko did previously threaten Amame with...something. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the deaths of everybody she cares about so obviously Gen and Shoma would be right up there and even probably stewing in Tokiko's mind too (Shoma is also in her somnium, incidentally)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Very cool game. I do feel like ultimately it's not quite as elegant or tight as the first game but part of me wants to consider that more of a praise of how well put together the first game was and how hard it is to pull off these kind of meta twist-heavy stories (and Uchikoshi has certainly dropped the ball IMO in some of his older games) rather than a pointed critcism about this game. AI 1 was just such a cool/good balance of being able to figure it out at basically the same time as the characters so everything felt organic and clean; in this game I kind of had just get on for the ride and stopped trying to force the pieces together.

I also think I just kind of hate the Gen/Mame ending? It's such a bizarre state for the characters (including Boss siccing the cops on them in the first place) to be put into that situation and boy it felt forced. AI 1 had the Iris ending which also had Date taking the idiot ball the whole way through but this felt way worse than that somehow.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Just finished the game entirely.

Generally had mixed feelings while playing but overall I think I'm definitely positive about it. I remember early on in both Ryuki and Mizuki's sides I thought the game was really lacking the first game's overall charm and general feeling of, like, class? Not sure how to put it, but on both routes a few somniums in they picked up massively; Amame's first somnium really was the big point I was like "ok no this game is actually really really good", and then Iris' Somnium is incredibly funny and definitely felt like a cute homage to the first game. I think overall I ended up liking Ryuki as a protagonist a lot more, even though Mizuki has the Bibi, Tearer, and Amame2 Somniums which really are some of the best, it made more sense for him to just ignore the law sometimes and get consequences over it and he was just generally a lot more interesting than Mizuki. It also felt like you spent a lot less time with the new characters who really did not feel anywhere near as strong as the characters from the first game, bar Shoma and Komeji.
Lien, Kizuna, and Gen all just felt like they were on a scale from inoffensive to frankly kind of annoying which was a pretty big disappointment when it has to live up to people like Hitomi and Mayumi who are frankly amazing. Also holy poo poo Amame really had the biggest character upgrade, going from barely named bit character to basically the final culprit and one of the more compelling characters was incredible.

I do think that the game feels paced pretty weirdly, like it felt like there was significantly less downtime to just talk with people in comparison to the first game? Stuff happens at a breakneck pace very often, both early on when there isn't really any time to ease into stuff unlike the first game where poo poo felt fairly calm at first, and later on when pretty much all of the branches feel some sort of rushed; the Komeji>Shoma route has like 20 minutes worth of cutscenes and QTEs without being able to open the menu or save which was insanely annoying the first time I played that since I wanted to stop right after the Somnium, and then there's just a single, very short place to look around before you're immediately thrown into Shoma's Somnium, and then there's both of the routes that split off from Lien's Somnium which feel like they just, end incredibly abruptly after discovering the other part of Jin/Uru's corpse and could've used another Somnium. I also felt that ending the game on Amame's Somnium felt a little anticlimactic, like even though that Somnium is fantastic it has the feels of the Rohan/89 Somnium in terms of being a very penultimate Somnium, not like the Saito/Boss or Saito/89 Somniums in terms of feeling like proper final sendoffs.

The Reverse Psync thing with Ryuki's Somnium never being reintroduced also felt like a massive missed opportunity, what with Mental Locks basically freeing the mind and causing the Reverse Psync to begin with I was really expecting a lategame Somnium where you just swap between Mizuki/Aiba and Ryuki/Tama every Mental Lock and they keep Reverse Psyncing eachother, uncovering the days that we missed they weren't active on during the present, since they each have 2/3 days where we don't really exactly know what they were up to.

Some random other assorted thoughts;
-Dahlia Boat apparently is some weird quadruple meaning thing? BOAT when turned into numbers is 2 15 1 20; 2151200 being the date for the Nirvana Initiative. db is the uploader of Fray to Free in the real world youtube. Running it through a rot 22 cipher has it say "helpme fsex". According to the friend I streamed it to Dahlia is an Ace Attorney reference? While Boat refers to 999, so the name is literally just references to video games Uru likes, which makes since considering Tokiko "Have you heard of GTA" Shigure probably supplied him with games.
-Ryuki being a Frayer seems to be important to the grand cosmic narrative Tokiko seems to be playing somehow? There's a few times his thought processes only really make sense if he's following the player's memories (like when he returns to the ferris wheel 6 years later on the day shoma went there just for the date to turn and for shoma to "disappear" because this was actually 6 years into the future, or how he knows both "dahlia" and "boat" and has a mental breakdown when he realizes he shouldn't possibly know both), which is weird, but Ryuki genuinely being halfway conscious of the frayer bullshit is the only way to really make sense of some of that.
-Hitomi saying she hadn't seen Date in a while initially was genuinely heartbreaking but it makes so much sense that she only says this when he's been gone for 6 years.
-So Tokiko like, what, uploaded herself into the Morphogenetic Field/basic laws of the universe and so can just materialise whenever?? I genuinely don't understand what actually happened to her in the Divergence ending.
-There's real weird poo poo happening at ABIS, the Gen/Amame ending feels like it comes out of nowhere and Date mentions in multiple endings the reason he didn't go to ABIS is because there's probably ties to Tearer or Naix inside ABIS which seems like setup for AI3.
-I still haven't input the Nirvana Spell but I'll probably do that tomorrow, completely forgot about it until my friend brought it up again.

Also, Marco model apparently exists?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The whole plan is actually stupid on multiple levels. Even if everything is a simulation, the universe regularly divides by zero with black holes and quasars and gamma ray bursts. Do you really think it cares about some insignificant part of the biomass on a podunk planet in the back rear end of some noname galaxy doing something odd?

Also you know what happens when simulations break? Everything crashes! The odds of "you" having a presence outside the simulation is next to zero, and therefore you will disappear completely once the simulation stops.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished the game. I'll probably put detailed thoughts later, but it's a pretty solid package I had a good time with, though I think I liked the first game better overall.

Nate RFB posted:

Very cool game. I do feel like ultimately it's not quite as elegant or tight as the first game but part of me wants to consider that more of a praise of how well put together the first game was and how hard it is to pull off these kind of meta twist-heavy stories (and Uchikoshi has certainly dropped the ball IMO in some of his older games) rather than a pointed critcism about this game. AI 1 was just such a cool/good balance of being able to figure it out at basically the same time as the characters so everything felt organic and clean; in this game I kind of had just get on for the ride and stopped trying to force the pieces together.

I also think I just kind of hate the Gen/Mame ending? It's such a bizarre state for the characters (including Boss siccing the cops on them in the first place) to be put into that situation and boy it felt forced. AI 1 had the Iris ending which also had Date taking the idiot ball the whole way through but this felt way worse than that somehow.

Yeah this ending felt bizarre because of how nothing in it was really explored. The whole thing with Boss going berserk and ABIS apparently being compromised... goes nowhere outside of that ending. So it feels contrived (on top of the other contrivances in the game). In short the only important bits that carry over to the main route is that Date was in disguise as Gen, there was a dead body in the freezer, and Amame is probably a dangerous fellow. If it was supposed to be set up for something beyond that, it sure doesn't feel like it with how Boss just inexplicably goes nuclear, including on Mizuki for some reason, instead of just bringing everyone in like every other time.

With the Iris ending in the first game, Date basically got infected with Iris's delusions during the somnium, even though following said delusions instead of trying to go against them was clearly a bad idea, so that was something of a logical extension. This comes out of nowhere and just doesn't get followed up on, so it's a very awkward splinter ending, especially compared to the others. Like the Lien and Kizuna ending fills in a chain of events that happens offscreen in the main timeline, and has the Bibi reveal. And the Shoma and Komeji ending is there to give the Komeji family a happy ending, when it's impossible in the main timeline for that to happen (and also giving some hints to Shoma's condition).

The fact that the sole plot hard lock in this game is just to blockade the player and not the characters (like how Date got pieces of info he couldn't have possibly known in the first game) doesn't help since none of the protagonists really carry over important information like Date did. It's just a password and a bullshit alias that doesn't have much bearing on things. And everything gets quickly re-explained in the main route.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ymgve posted:

The whole plan is actually stupid on multiple levels. Even if everything is a simulation, the universe regularly divides by zero with black holes and quasars and gamma ray bursts. Do you really think it cares about some insignificant part of the biomass on a podunk planet in the back rear end of some noname galaxy doing something odd?

Also you know what happens when simulations break? Everything crashes! The odds of "you" having a presence outside the simulation is next to zero, and therefore you will disappear completely once the simulation stops.

Hold on... you're telling me the insane cult run by a woman who is literaly suicidal might be some kind of death cult? whaaaaat?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The more I think about the more I'm annoyed that wanting the game not to spoil anything from 1 just meant the returning cameos felt pointless since they weren't allowed to have grown or changed at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The more I think about the more I'm annoyed that wanting the game not to spoil anything from 1 just meant the returning cameos felt pointless since they weren't allowed to have grown or changed at all.

Date walking around wearing a mask of a serial killer because "people know him that way" was an extremely stupid decision and I hated it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Date walking around wearing a mask of a serial killer because "people know him that way" was an extremely stupid decision and I hated it.

Same, lol. and we get cheated out of any scenes with him and Hitomi outside one that's played for laughs at the end. Also having him have amnesia a second time to justify why he was gone for 6 years was also really stupid to me. I would have preferred some sort of deep cover or that he was trapped by Tearer for that long instead of "I stumbled around and worked random jobs until seeing something on TV a few days ago made me remember everything"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
What the gently caress am I supposed to do in (Mizuki chapter 2) the genetics institute at night?? I think I've exhausted literally everything and the game just keeps looping guards. Am I supposed to get caught by one??

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do in (Mizuki chapter 2) the genetics institute at night?? I think I've exhausted literally everything and the game just keeps looping guards. Am I supposed to get caught by one??

There's an easy to miss black notebook on the closest desk on the right. Pick it up and pass it to Lien.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes, I completely missed that. Thanks.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Arist posted:

Mizuki Chapter 1:

I'm convinced the devs either watched this video as soon as it came out in May and had to scramble to put that line in a month before release, or they have access to morphogenetic fields :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67kKiD10oE

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a dumb reason, but Greg Chun's Date is just way better than DC Douglas's Date.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

It's a dumb reason, but Greg Chun's Date is just way better than DC Douglas's Date.

Him asking Ryuki to wipe his hard drive is like the best line delivery in the game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

His scream of terror when Mizuki says that she deleted all his cuckoldry porn is sublime.