Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ysBaqfHRcE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

GIVE ME MY TEA BITCH

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Vagabong posted:

Beans on toast is a proper tea, don't trust anyone who says brits eat it as a snack.

Its Gascoigne like Paul Gascoigne yeah? How do the French pronounce it? Has From ever issued a clear pronunciation guide?

The game has voice acting, it's gasz-coin

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

fun hater posted:

GIVE ME MY TEA BITCH

Where'd you leave your tea bitch?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The only time I actually ran out of bloodvials and echoes at the same time was when I started the first DLC Boss.
I didn't even notice the reincarnating 6 vial drop right outside the boss arena.

Those games are even more confusing than the way Danny says 'impudent'

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 30, 2022

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Hel posted:

It's funny because the big thing FromSoft popularized was the Estus flask, so moving away from that in Bloodbourne really hosed people up.

I think that FromSoft was looking at DS2, which had both the Estus Flask and lifegems (which are functionally blood vials), and thought that maybe having both a replenishable and consumable heal option would be too much for BB. That, or maybe they thought that the Rally mechanic would be enough to keep players from burning through all their vials

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

This video was hilarious and this movie is insane, thanks for linking this. I absolutely lost it at the precious gospel singing children.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like we'll never get to the bottom of this until we find out whether or not Lipton's flag has a gold fringe.

Shinji2015 posted:

I think that FromSoft was looking at DS2, which had both the Estus Flask and lifegems (which are functionally blood vials), and thought that maybe having both a replenishable and consumable heal option would be too much for BB. That, or maybe they thought that the Rally mechanic would be enough to keep players from burning through all their vials

Yeah the vibe I always got was that the intention was for health recovery to be balanced around vials + Rally very specifically. But I'm guessing (lacking any BB experience :argh:) that realistically, Rally doesn't do enough and doubly so if you're struggling with the game. I'd go as far to say, somewhat unintuitively, in practice vials are the true estus equivalent and Rally is more akin to topping up with lifegems.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 30, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DoctorWhat posted:

I have a very limited amount of kitchen space. Also I make rice with additional ingredients (buttered onions, and peas) and never learned how to do that properly in a dedicated cooker.
Mine dings to let me know it's time to fluff the rice, and I just dump extra ingredients in there then.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like we'll never get to the bottom of this until we find out whether or not Lipton's flag has a gold fringe.

Yeah the vibe I always got was that the intention was for health recovery to be balanced around vials + Rally very specifically. But I'm guessing (lacking any BB experience :argh:) that realistically, Rally doesn't do enough and doubly so if you're struggling with the game. I'd go as far to say, somewhat unintuitively, in practice vials are the true estus equivalent and Rally is more akin to topping up with lifegems.

The real secret to to the rally system is that it pairs best with learning the gun parries. If you get a parry off and get clipped while doing it, you nearly always have enough time to do a dodge-dash forward and into a visceral attack, and then visceral attacks will give you back your fully rally meter of health. You can stack some Caryll Runes on that give you extra HP back when you visceral and/or give you back silver bullets and it really helps smooth everything out.

Still watching NCG's video in bursts but I don't think I've seen him do parries in the Bloodborne bit at all so far. He even manages to break the Cleric Beast's head twice, triggering the special visceral opening both times, and doesn't run in to shove his hand in its skull. I get that because that was obviously a blind run and he didn't know about it, but man once you know how to create those openings on bosses does Bloodborne go fast.

But as far as the Blood Vials vs Estus goes, I'm going to speculate there's a few big reasons behind the change:

1. They wanted a healing item that was faster to use than the Estus. The chug animations are too long for Bloodborne fights considering parrying is your only defensive option, and while more enemies can be parried in BB than the Souls games, it's still not universal. All of their other Souls/Soulslike games have a defensive block of some kind available.

2. They wanted something that encourages more forward momentum. You get blood vials by enemy drops or by buying them with the blood echoes from defeated enemies. Moving forward into more danger is the only way to accomplish this. Very artful, clever, etc.

3. The waypoints in Bloodborne are way more limited than... I suppose every game besides Demon's Souls. It's rare for there to be more than 1 per area, and they can be really big areas. On a practical level, Bloodborne also doesn't let you sit at lamps to refresh/reload the area and your gear. Most likely because of an optimization issue with the game itself. With that limitation in mind, the only thing you could do to restock your blood vials is what is already in the game, loading in and out of the hunters dream at a lamp. :negative:

Vagabong posted:

Its Gascoigne like Paul Gascoigne yeah? How do the French pronounce it? Has From ever issued a clear pronunciation guide?

I don’t know who that is but I looked it up and yeah, that’s how it’s supposed to be pronounced.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 1, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

father gas coin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DeafNote posted:

The only time I actually ran out of bloodvials and echoes at the same time was when I started the first DLC Boss.
I didn't even notice the reincarnating 6 vial drop right outside the boss arena.

Those games are even more confusing than the way Danny says 'impudent'
i liked the really bad Hello Neighbor ripoff with the old lady that is just "steal all her poo poo and leave her destitute!!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA-bjpKvIw8
Eddy Burback spends 3 weeks traveling across America eating at every Rainforest Cafe in America (and Canada)

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Are you saying I've been wrong in pronouncing it "daddy gas-co-igni" all this time?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Vials do get refilled upon death at least.

But enough about blood, have some tossed salad and scrambled eggs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foau4PrnFTw

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
300 video bad. Big surprise. Same old talking points that ultimately comes down to well even though Snyder may be critical of fascism, fascists aren't going to see that and endorse the society depicted in the movie. And it's like yeah because if you have fascist tendencies then you're going to ignore anything that's critical of them and think that the Spartan's throwing babies off a cliff is actually better for society.

Its weird that we accept that people have different interpretations of Art but then still want to find a way to blame the Art when someone has the 'wrong' one.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
every video negative of a synder movie is bad

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Say what you want about Snyder movies, at least they can still fuel discussion years after they were made. That's not something I see about Marvel movies outside of very boring speculation about cameos or future movies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is it fueling discussion when its literally the same discussion over and over again

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrynWtBDTE
Youtube continues to be garbage as food youtuber and DIY/lifehack debunker Ann Reardon posted a video about how dangerous "fractal wood burning" was and of course Youtube removed her video as violating the rules while leaving up all the videos telling you how to do it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Say what you want about Snyder movies, at least they can still fuel discussion years after they were made. That's not something I see about Marvel movies outside of very boring speculation about cameos or future movies.

Say what you will about making GBS threads your pants on national TV, but I bet people would remember it.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Snyder is that guy that only one of your friends is very passionate about, and it's the same friend that complains that Superman is really boring.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Superman is a good character, imo

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Superman's great (usually). Some people just don't understand the character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Alright I'm not going through this strained poo poo again, how about Kettles eh? What's the deal with those?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Alright I'm not going through this strained poo poo again, how about Kettles eh? What's the deal with those?

has superman ever eye lasered a nice cup of tea. i feel like thats the sort of thing hed do

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I have never watched a Snyder movie or hated on a Snyder movie but I have posted in this thread which is worse than either

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

300 video bad. Big surprise. Same old talking points that ultimately comes down to well even though Snyder may be critical of fascism, fascists aren't going to see that and endorse the society depicted in the movie. And it's like yeah because if you have fascist tendencies then you're going to ignore anything that's critical of them and think that the Spartan's throwing babies off a cliff is actually better for society.

Its weird that we accept that people have different interpretations of Art but then still want to find a way to blame the Art when someone has the 'wrong' one.

I think his argument is that in that film he's not, and in fact presents it uncritically and heroically. Which is worthy of criticism imo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I watched man of steel once but it was being shown by a retired cop in a church and I didn't pay attention

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Congrats on getting your tweets in the video.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

And people bringing them up to compare to other movies that aren't trying to do the same thing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Karloff posted:

I think his argument is that in that film he's not, and in fact presents it uncritically and heroically. Which is worthy of criticism imo.

The movie is Spartan propaganda. That's why it starts with someone telling you that it's Spartan propaganda. Snyder talks about the babies being thrown off a cliff as being a "really, these are your heroes?" moment. It's abhorrent. The film knows it is, Snyder knows it is, but the Spartan's don't. I don't need an opposing viewpoint of someone finger-wagging about how this is bad, actually.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its homophobic

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

DrVenkman posted:

The movie is Spartan propaganda. That's why it starts with someone telling you that it's Spartan propaganda. Snyder talks about the babies being thrown off a cliff as being a "really, these are your heroes?" moment. It's abhorrent. The film knows it is, Snyder knows it is, but the Spartan's don't. I don't need an opposing viewpoint of someone finger-wagging about how this is bad, actually.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Congrats on getting your tweets in the video.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i hope a spartan throws zack snyder off a cliff

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the dawn of the dead remake still owns though

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 1, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah, deny him the spartan kick

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

He may have intended it as a satire. I don't know the inside of his brain. But if that's the case, in my opinion he failed. He made a far more effective bit of propaganda than he did a satire.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is very weird to keep claiming stuff present in the original comic as the tell that the movie is satire, when Frank Miller is a big old fascist who has clarified multiple times he believes or at least believed at the time all the East vs West BS in the comic. I don't really know what's in Snyder's head, possible he thought just showing fascist art should be so on its face ridiculous that everyone would process it as satire. However the narrator is not intended as unreliable in a condemnatory way in the comic as Frank Miller wrote it, and adaptational changes to this element were minimal.

The biggest change Synder made was recognizing (possibly even noting the historical inaccuracy of it) that the comic had no real women roles at all. Then adding one for Gorgo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wonder if there are any other directors making movies in Hollywood right now