Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

drunken officeparty posted:

Annie just waltzing in and taking V when that was like half of season 1

Having more than one security camera? Nah, gotta redirect that to stock buybacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

drunken officeparty posted:

Annie just waltzing in and taking V when that was like half of season 1

This is Homelander's Vought, all competent security has been terminated for not being loyal enough.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Oh hey Soldier Boy really is a huge dick but maybe he has like a thin sliver of compassion buried deep down.”

*Episode 7 happens, especially the Noir poo poo*

“Yeah nevermind.”

I also love that all the survivors of Herogasm getting depowered means that Love Sausage is indeed stuck with an enormous non-prehensile hog. And that if Termite hadn’t gotten squished he would have been permanently tiny. Turns out some powers are horrifying if they get taken away at the wrong time!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What an episode, it's a shame we're probably not get any more of the adventures of hughie and soldier boy cause that was all great.

I was shocked that Hughey had been holding out hope that Soldier Boy was actually a good guy hero. I thought he had fully accepted the idea he was working with a psychotic rear end in a top hat to do bad things in order to take down a more dangerous psychotic rear end in a top hat. Soldier Boy isn't even the first psychotic rear end in a top hat he aligned with, does he still have hope that Butcher is gonna turn into a cool dude after they kill Homelander?

He's such a dope.

Also hilarious that Hughie freaked out at a nun ineffectually gnawing on his neck. He's v'ed up, she couldn't hurt him and he could have just tossed her aside but instead he screamed "do something! do something!" while flailing around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What a fantastic episode.

I love that they show Butcher's self-loathing and guilt and how he conflates Lenny with Hughie just so they can then show Butcher STILL consciously making the choice to hide the Temp V's lethality from Hughie in order to get what he wants, just to really hammer home what an absolute monster he is.

Also a big fan of Starlight not buying that Butcher will have told Hughie, and Frenchie not disagreeing with her over that perception.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

That line about Black Noir wanting to be Eddie Murphy in the Nicaragua flashback makes more sense now. Dude just wanted to be a cheesy 80s comedian, a lot of trouble could have been avoided if Soldier Boy had just let him have Beverly Hills Cops

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I thought Kimiko was gonna sprout extra arms or something but instead that storyline remained boring while the rest of the show got more awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chadzok posted:

I thought Kimiko was gonna sprout extra arms or something but instead that storyline remained boring while the rest of the show got more awesome

I actually really loved the contrast between Hughie and Starlight's relationship drama in prior episodes vs the way Kimiko and Frenchie handled it in this one by being absolutely open in their emotions and supportive of each other even though Frenchie was clearly horrified when he learned she wanted to take Compound V.

Still not a fan of the delivery mechanism of getting there with the utterly baffling,"This small time Russian gangster with two(2) henchmen to her name is terrifying the CIA black books operative who has faced off with the most powerful superhumans in the world" storyline though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Jesus Christ, I was so terrified Homelander was going to hurt the cow. Like, yeah, I thought at first he was just going use his mouth, but him milking the cow normally actually made me nervous. The saw how delicate he was and realized...he's done this before

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
kinda sad that cartoon crimson countess wasnt a chimp

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Good episode but I gotta ask why you would load multiple bullets into a revolver to shoot yourself.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Pirate Jet posted:

Good episode but I gotta ask why you would load multiple bullets into a revolver to shoot yourself.
Person about to commit the ultimate irrational act in behaving irrationally shocker ;)

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
maybe that revolver had a bump stock and he was just making sure the job got done

thorough people, the butchers

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

maybe that revolver had a bump stock and he was just making sure the job got done

thorough people, the butchers

Dude did the McCree right-click on his own head.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, the show implies he might have a body count that matches Homelander or even higher. He regularly commits massacres. One was even mentioned this episode.

I think him killing Soldier Boy is what is going to cause Homelander to finally lose it.

I'm kind of hoping it goes the other way around and Homelander ends up killing Soldier Boy to protect his long-time buddy and one-time mentor Black Noir

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Pirate Jet posted:

You want it to be at full power, don’t you?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 hours!)

just watched the new one. didn't love it - i don't like the hard dive into 'all of this is happening because these individuals are addicts/mentally ill' this episode took, although i at least appreciate how completely they tied everything in to that. if that angle is working for you, then it was probably solid and coherent, but i thought it was all pretty trite and contrived.

on the bad side: lots of kimiko and frenchie, the tired 'inside somebody's head all episode' bullshit with butcher, and i just really can't stand starlight at this point. soldier boy being homelander's dad does nothing for me except makes the story smaller. MM is likeable but man do i not care about his family sideplot.

hughie and soldier boys stuff was entertaining to watch at least, homelander and maeve's scene was good, and a-trains new lease on life/powers has me curious.

i think last episode was so distractingly entertaining it made me feel like the show had jumped to a new level but this week we're back to the sort of crappy show the boys. there were good moments in here but overall, the direction they're going is basically what i assumed they would a few episodes ago and it's boring me. the people the show supports are the ones i don't feel a connection with so nothing really lands. i'm probably done with the show after next week.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 1, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Y'know for all that this show has desensitised me to gore and violence, that scene with Ashley and A-Train was the most uncomfortable I think I've felt in the entire run. That's some Twilight Zone levels of existential horror and I love it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't decide if Ashley just throwing out horrifically stereotypical "black" lines at A-Train is more scary if she's deliberately doing it to taunt him or she is being utterly sincere and thinks this is somehow genuine encouragement.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hoss did you just typo your way into calling the one Asian character in this show “kimono”?

It's crazy how auto complete on Android devices contains basically no proper nouns outside of like the top 50 names in the US, and how it will "correct" without selecting the corrections and there is seemingly no way to disable this.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
So he's not everybody's racist grandpa, he's everybody's abusive dad

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

roomtone posted:

just watched the new one. didn't love it - i don't like the hard dive into 'all of this is happening because these individuals are addicts/mentally ill' this episode took, although i at least appreciate how completely they tied everything in to that. if that angle is working for you, then it was probably solid and coherent, but i thought it was all pretty trite and contrived.

on the bad side: lots of kimiko and frenchie, the tired 'inside somebody's head all episode' bullshit with butcher, and i just really can't stand starlight at this point. soldier boy being homelander's dad does nothing for me except makes the story smaller. MM is likeable but man do i not care about his family sideplot.

hughie and soldier boys stuff was entertaining to watch at least, homelander and maeve's scene was good, and a-trains new lease on life/powers has me curious.

i think last episode was so distractingly entertaining it made me feel like the show had jumped to a new level but this week we're back to the sort of crappy show the boys. there were good moments in here but overall, the direction they're going is basically what i assumed they would a few episodes ago and it's boring me. the people the show supports are the ones i don't feel a connection with so nothing really lands. i'm probably done with the show after next week.

agreed on everything except the last sentence. i'm gonna hold out hope that the show will give us a couple of more memorable moments.

but yeah, as the two posters stated a couple of pages ago that this was equal to if not better than herogasm, i have to say, after watching it, i was gravely disappointed. the butcher dream sequence was pretty good, but that was probably the only real highlight of the episode. everything else was either not noteworthy, weird, or totally expected.

people kept talking about the "twists" in this episode, and i'm sorry, but nothing, aside from the A-Train heart transplant stuff was surprising.

- Soldier Boy being homelander's father was not surprising in the least. yes, at the start i wasn't making that connection, but as the show went on, i could totally see that happening, and sure enough, it did.
- the stuff with noir wasn't very revealing either. we knew he ran in the last episode cause he more than likely betrayed SB, and he probably betrayed him cause he was an immense rear end in a top hat to him. turns out that too, was also the case. the only thing we learned that we didn't know before was why he doesn't speak, which okay fair enough, that mystery was solved.
- stormfront can't be homelander's mother. i mean, yes it would fit in quite nicely with his oedipal mommy issues that he's got going on, but wouldn't stormfront, being his possible mother and all....be aware of her own pregnancy and delivering the most powerful supe in the world? would she not have questions about why a guy who worked for vought that was just like her boyfriend, who replaces her boyfriend, and has almost the same power sets as set boyfriend?

CODChimera posted:

turns out no one really cared about supersonic

homelander will argue he was an illegal, so problem solved

Takes No Damage posted:

Take more than one vial. Take more than one vial! You're standing right in front of it all TAKE MORE THAN ONE VIAL!!

GOD DAMMIT :argh:

Doesn't help that I just saw the exact same trope in a season 1 episode of Agents of SHIELD.

was literally yelling at the t.v. when i saw that :lol:

speaking of which:

- why didn't annie warn kimiko and frenchie of the side effects?
- how did she know whether to grab the green vials or the blue ones?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Pretty sure the Stormfront theory would be taking her eggs and making him in a test tube, not her actually giving birth to him.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Homelander has already stated he is a test tube baby. Liberty would have been more than happy to donate her eggs for the cause.

Also, I have a theory that involves body horror, so don’t look if you don’t need that in your head. They’re gonna cut off Maeve’s and put them on Stormfront. She doesn’t need her limbs to work her Fallopian tubes. Ugh. I hope I am wrong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

agreed on everything except the last sentence. i'm gonna hold out hope that the show will give us a couple of more memorable moments.

but yeah, as the two posters stated a couple of pages ago that this was equal to if not better than herogasm, i have to say, after watching it, i was gravely disappointed. the butcher dream sequence was pretty good, but that was probably the only real highlight of the episode. everything else was either not noteworthy, weird, or totally expected.

people kept talking about the "twists" in this episode, and i'm sorry, but nothing, aside from the A-Train heart transplant stuff was surprising.

- Soldier Boy being homelander's father was not surprising in the least. yes, at the start i wasn't making that connection, but as the show went on, i could totally see that happening, and sure enough, it did.
- the stuff with noir wasn't very revealing either. we knew he ran in the last episode cause he more than likely betrayed SB, and he probably betrayed him cause he was an immense rear end in a top hat to him. turns out that too, was also the case. the only thing we learned that we didn't know before was why he doesn't speak, which okay fair enough, that mystery was solved.
- stormfront can't be homelander's mother. i mean, yes it would fit in quite nicely with his oedipal mommy issues that he's got going on, but wouldn't stormfront, being his possible mother and all....be aware of her own pregnancy and delivering the most powerful supe in the world? would she not have questions about why a guy who worked for vought that was just like her boyfriend, who replaces her boyfriend, and has almost the same power sets as set boyfriend?

homelander will argue he was an illegal, so problem solved

was literally yelling at the t.v. when i saw that :lol:

speaking of which:

She’s stolen a sample of V before with the gecko guy’s help iirc so she knows what the normal version looks like

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This wasn't spelled out but pretty sure only established hero can take V to return their powers in case 'the V was burned off', it will kill adults who weren't treated with V in their childhood, so there are no side effects for Kimiko, and taking two vials would've probably done nothing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

isn't Stormfront dead?

Starlight will bust Maeve out

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, I have a theory that involves body horror, so don’t look if you don’t need that in your head. They’re gonna cut off Maeve’s and put them on Stormfront. She doesn’t need her limbs to work her Fallopian tubes. Ugh. I hope I am wrong

whatever youre smoking stop smoking it my dude

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Homelander has already stated he is a test tube baby. Liberty would have been more than happy to donate her eggs for the cause.

There's an article in today's Daily Mail attacking Megan Markle for her plan to become president, despite her never expressing any intention to do so. So at least your not the only case of someone getting angry at a thing they made up in their head.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Homelander calmly telling Maeve that he's going to just harvest her eggs was pretty chilling, and unfortunately pretty topical. Whilst the meta advertising has been great all season I don't think Kripke has that kinda sway with the supreme court?

A Train finally summoning the courage to do the right thing, horrifically murder a white supremacist then die, only to be forced back into the Vought machinery was great. I did not think they could do anything more with him. I wonder if he'll try and join Annie for real now, or now he's back at full fitness he'll just regress back to his old self.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mr Interweb posted:

- stormfront can't be homelander's mother. i mean, yes it would fit in quite nicely with his oedipal mommy issues that he's got going on, but wouldn't stormfront, being his possible mother and all....be aware of her own pregnancy and delivering the most powerful supe in the world?

they can extract eggs and put them in someone in else, in fact that has come up

edit: severely beaten

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

She did. She's trying to call Butcher back as promised and he's not answering, and Frenchie says maybe Butcher passed on the warning she had for Hughie, and she asks him if he really thinks that is likely and Frenchie has to admit he doesn't think it likely. If you're asking thinking Kimiko would get a brain tumor and die, the Compound V is different to Temp V, it has permanent effects instead of permanent and Kimiko had already been shown back in season one as one of the few adults who are lucky enough to take it and get powers instead of dying horribly. Temp V seems to have a 100% success rate at giving powers temporarily, but kills you within 3-5 uses. You can guarantee Stan already knew that when he told Robert Singer they were developing it for the military, I just wonder if he also has a cure developed he plans to blackmail the Government with or he just assumes the mortality rate is "acceptable".

Mr Interweb posted:

Already answered, but yeah she's seen Compound V before.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

Stormfront is a nazi, incest would be a step up for her.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I really want to see Homelander lose his powers and likely turn into the most pathetic person on Earth. What is there to him apart from that? He does not even have any clothes apart from the costume or a name.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
His name is John.

Also, “Huh, what’s black and white and red all over?”

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Wondering if there is a distinction between 'uses' and 'doses' , cause 1 shot left a lot in the vial. Crossing my fingers that hughie isn't condemned to die

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Other good details
Depicting cartoon Black Noir as a a black sheep was really on the nose. Soldier Boy alienated and abused the gently caress out of that guy. Probably not a coicedence he was also the only poc in Payback. I wonder if part of the bond between Noir and Homelander was the fact that neither got to have a normal life, sure Noir grew up in a normal household but being a supe meant he didn't get to experience it in a genuine way and had to retreat into his own head just to get through it. He meets Homelander who he knows didn't get to be normal either and unlike Soldier Boy he isn't the whipping boy to him any more. I do wonder if he's related to Edgar as well, they treat him like a Company Man but we've already seen Stan be a father figure to Victoria. So it would make sense if he had history.

It looks like perhaps Soldier Boy's relationship with Gunpowder was just hazing after all too. Soldier Boy was a sadist but bullying his team in the conventional way seemed more his thing.

Stormfront's talk of wanting to create a Master Race of Supes makes sense if you piece it together that they did in vitro using two of the most powerful supes up to that point. It's unclear how heritable the effects of compound V are, certainly Voight was trying to refine the process to have more control over the type and extent of powers.

My guess is that Homelander and Soldier Boy team up but the alliance is short lived. To fight them/cure their condition Butcher and Hughie take permanent V which enhances their respective powers even further. Hughie and Homelander will get depowered and Butcher will lose control of his powers and go full Dr Manhattan but not be able to keep it together and seemingly explode from the power, taking out Soldier Boy with him but it's ambiguous whether he's "dead" leaving a cliffhanger at the end of the season.

Then the next season will have a crippled but still alive Homelander eventually figure out how to restore his powers with Compound V while trying to hide the fact that he's powerless and a race to kill him before he's invulnerable again.

And lol imagine the alternate universe where Noir gets cast in Beverly Hills Cop.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Wondering if there is a distinction between 'uses' and 'doses' , cause 1 shot left a lot in the vial. Crossing my fingers that hughie isn't condemned to die

I think they gave the 3-5 wiggle room so each character can take as much as the plot demands.

Also, I love the mini game of "What line wouldn't Jensen Ackles cross? I feel like any instance of tell, don't show is a good contender so my money is currently on a cut montage of "Soldier Boy: Historical Motherfucker."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

TIP posted:

they can extract eggs and put them in someone in else, in fact that has come up

edit: severely beaten

Oh -so that’s why homelanders brains are scrambled!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It's also gonna be funny if Hughie tries to teleport Homelander into the Earth's core but Homelander comes back 5 seconds later because Hughie misjudged how deep he had to go and only went sixty miles down or something.