Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is there any word about a print version or a digital version that doesnt have circa 2008 page resolutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Join Ashley's Patreon for access to the hi-res version of the comic :)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
She's said before once she wraps up the story, she'll put out something physical (again) before resuming her work for the follow-up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Join Ashley's Patreon for access to the hi-res version of the comic :)

thank you

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dang. Even this setting's version of hell doesn't want anything to do with Starfish.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Killed off Starfish, killed off the aldish war crimes pervert at the shrine, scrabbled around in the suddenly-empty box labelled 'overweight sex crimesters,' desperately pulled Starfish out of the trash can while brushing an apple core and some used gum off him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the way starfish's post-death panel lingered on him had people morbidly suspecting he'd come back, but that gun took like six years to fire. he's even got the same expression!

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch10/ch10_164.html

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Is it bad if i read the name of the new chapter (cover posted today) as "Post morbin"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's Murkophin' time.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It looks like probably-Sette and probably-a lion in the distance there, but it's hard to do more then vague speculation on what that means.

However down in Lady I's brambly nest, we've got a bunch of the main characters down there, both living and dead, with the notable exception of Duane. I'm assuming because in the story both living and dead characters exist within the khert but Duane is a bit of a unique anomaly in regards to the khert and isn't exactly dead or alive.

Somewhat related, as with most things in Unsounded, it probably raises more questions then it answers. That can be intriguing but being teased with so many things for so long is also mildly frustrating knowing there's all the answers floating around in Cope's head glacially being leaked out, especially after coming off of the regular multiple month between chapters break.

Anyhow, mild criticism aside, I'm interested to see what all plays out in this chapter, since it is supposed to be the last chapter in the first "book" before a probably even longer break before the story is supposed to move up to Alderode.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Perhaps Duane is the lion? That was my assumption.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That... actually might be it, especially since it appears it might be tailless.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Aren't lions used in Ssaelit symbolism?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah according to the author, there used to be a race of talking roughly human level intelligent lions on the planet but they all got wiped out a really long time ago. The repeated mention when brought up on the AMA tumblr that they are extinct makes me lean hard towards our heroes will meet one some day, especially with some of the time fuckery of the khert.

Anyhow lions are closely related with the guy Ssael and that religion Ssaelism is based on. The scars on his face are often interpreted as lion claw marks, and if I remember, he might have died with fighting a group of them. They are generally revered with the Ssaelit half of Alderode. For instance, one of the Ssaelit only branches of the military Duane was in was called "The Lions of Mercy".

There's more too it that I can't currently remember as I just woke up, but to be fair, most of that stuff (including the things I can't recall) hasn't actually happened in the comic yet, so there's plenty of room for change, but they've been mentioned and at the very minimum I can say:

habeasdorkus posted:

Aren't lions used in Ssaelit symbolism?

yup!

e: just remembered Duane's Ssael mask in the pageant they recently had wore a lion's mane as part of the costume. I'll probably keep remembering things here and there but I'll stop for now.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2022

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
All the Aldish soldiers last chapter had little lion helmets

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_02.html

And we return with what looks like Sette's skull, Jivi's hat, Boo, and perhaps Toma's or another peaceguard insignia (he did like to collect them for his daughter) or someone else's military insignia (Elka or an Aldish one? There's one of those flying dragon things I won't attempt to spell on it, so it could be from someone who rode them (Lem) or someone who killed one?) That's in the khert so who knows when, but it is a bit harrowing. With Lady I's hand and some sort of smoke eel squishy fish hybrid around? More mysteries, of course.

In current time it looks like one of the battlefronts is near. Overall, it's worrisome but both intriguing and teasing, as usual.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Never knew what "a carriage that's up to no good" looked like before reading this update

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm, with the port city being attacked by the Silver, raids across northern Cresce from this town, uprisings from lizardfolk across the country, and the destruction of Ethelmik, how badly has Cresce been hurt?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If my understanding of the situation is correct, most of the damage has been done along the border (at least as far as Alderode or the silver is concerned); it's just that Cresce also has to deal with the lizard uprising, which is more spread out across the country.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

New page.

I used to think Vamp was a pretty big fella, but turns out it's Roger who's short for a Copper.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 6, 2022

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

From what I've read, coppers continue to grow as they age, and that ramps up real quick late in life. Coppers supposedly live to about 400 years old in a full life, thus Mikaila's friend there speculating that those huge ones they see might be 4 centuries old. They are said to typically get reclusive late in life, so combined with being extremely in the minority race wise, is why the question is raised about if they had ever seen any like that before.

By comparison, I think Vamp was around 300 or so? And Roger was like 80 or something, somewhere around 18 years old in human years so pretty young for a copper. I'm mostly pulling those numbers out of my rear end from stuff I read years ago as it would take manually combing through asks from forever ago to verify, but it's roughly close enough to get the general idea. Even Ashley frequently says she doesn't dwell on those specifics and just sort of ballparks a lot of that stuff when asked. Anyhow, that's why Mallory was pretty dang big but not as big as these guys, and Roger was fairly normal sized.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That makes sense. I recall a guy in Duane's first flashback, too; a Copper guard, tall, but within human limits.

That said, if it's in relation to their age (and Mallory was already pretty archaic), I have to wonder how these guys talk.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Didn't realize that different Aldish castes got physically huger the older they got, huh.

Edit: So those tube/pylon looking things are for extending the dammakhert, right?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 6, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the aldish even give one another the willies, what an unsettling nation

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Goddamned Coppers. Bunch of big, ductile gits if you ask me. Barnacles on the people of Alderode!

What do we think are the big glowy stakes? Some type of pymaric device? Weapon? Industrial equipment?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I remember Cope saying somewhere (probably in her Q&A blog) that one of the (many) deeper issues present in Alderode is the fact that so much of their leadership is dominated by really, really old guys set in their ways, self-assured in their experience. Turns out they're all absolute units, too. Other than the fact they're terrible wrights, small wonder nobody gets any kind of reform going.

Speaking of which, I've been given the caste page a look-see and I've gotta ask: have we actually met any Bronze? They're supposed to be the most common caste, by a large margin, but I can't think of a single named or even incidental character who qualifies. Every other caste is represented, except I guess the Kussen.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

What do we think are the big glowy stakes? Some type of pymaric device? Weapon? Industrial equipment?

My guess is that they're what extend/exert the hosed up Aldish khert. They plan to stay, and change the people living there. Deeply cursed poo poo. (Edit: I remember reading that the dammakert will change fetuses so that when born, the babies have a caste... so that would be basically genocide if so?)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Speaking of which, I've been given the caste page a look-see and I've gotta ask: have we actually met any Bronze? They're supposed to be the most common caste, by a large margin, but I can't think of a single named or even incidental character who qualifies. Every other caste is represented, except I guess the Kussen.

We've seen them, at least. The Brother's Adelier chapter has a couple of Vampire's rebels have a couple panels of speaking before Duane blew them up, and I think we also see some "brown skin, brown eye, brown hair" types in the background with the Aldish military forces. I can't recall any named characters. My recollection is that the Bronze are extremely poorly treated in the caste system.

GunnerJ posted:

My guess is that they're what extend/exert the hosed up Aldish khert. They plan to stay, and change the people living there. Deeply cursed poo poo. (Edit: I remember reading that the dammakert will change fetuses so that when born, the babies have a caste... so that would be basically genocide if so?)

Oh, yeah, that'd definitely fit the definition of cultural genocide.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

We've seen them, at least. The Brother's Adelier chapter has a couple of Vampire's rebels have a couple panels of speaking before Duane blew them up, and I think we also see some "brown skin, brown eye, brown hair" types in the background with the Aldish military forces. I can't recall any named characters. My recollection is that the Bronze are extremely poorly treated in the caste system.
Correct.

Unsounded Wiki posted:

The BRONZE

Known in Tainish as 'semon', the Bronze caste are of an erratic longevity, experiencing anywhere from 50 to 150 years of natural life. The largest caste, the Bronze are light brown-skinned, brown-eyed, and brown-haired. Most are encouraged towards the military, accounting, menial arts, agriculture and construction.

Bronze are the least respected of the official castes due to an assumption that they are less worthy because they are so common. They have no reputation for beauty, no great longevity, no particular inclinations. They are painted as the Sullied Median, and it's assumed that if the caste system was allowed to falter, interbreeding would result in a country full of coarse and common Bronze. Other castes often refer to them as Clay and they are assumed to be of mixed heritage. They are criminals, brutes, and savages, and have a difficult time clawing their way above their station. Still, they make up much of the military, do much of the farming and physical labour, and Alderode could not run without them.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

So those tube/pylon looking things are for extending the dammakhert, right?

habeasdorkus posted:

I don't positively know, but if I were to guess, the big glowing rods are Vliegeng (flying war dragon) food. The "frost giants" (a plant or vegetable I guess) that they eat that only grow in the far north, and have to be trucked (or hound carted) in because they don't grow that far south. Thats something that has been confirmed in the AMA stuff before, keeping a supply chain going to keep the giant flying dragon snake war machines operational when they are too far away from their typical feeding grounds (like this far south in this Alderode outpost that was fairly recently seized). To take it straight from the wiki:

"Vliegeng, or flying snakes, are large animals native to the frozen northeast of Alderode. There are several species; one has been domesticated for aerial transportation and war. They are social animals and live in small packs. Their diet primarily consists of frostgiants, a type of enormous, frozen bamboo-like grass that grows thickly on Alderode's northern coasts, but they will also eat fish and meat."

Giant frozen looking bamboo like stalks transported in from afar to feed the war animals they are relying on seems likely. It's supply chain stuff. I could be wrong, I don't have any inside info other then paying too much attention, but it seems likely.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Iirc the most prominent bronze in the comic so far was Lemuel's friend Teeth. Other than that I can't really think of any at all that weren't incidentally in the background. It is, however, about time for me to do a reread.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wasn't that guy a Silver? I checked the archive and he had blue eyes and black hair.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Alderode... bad?

I did not expect the last panel!

...also, the big guy looks like a bronze, so even if i'm wrong about Teeth i am vindicated in that there is a prominent bronze character at some point

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 8, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alderode really is a horror show, isn't it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

"How do you write men so well? You've mentioned before you're not married, if that's still true. But you're able to write men without resorting to the usual tropes and cliches - is it just a matter of a lot of research and study?"

"Indeed. Sometimes I go visit them in the zoo; sit outside the cages and sketch figure studies. They’re fascinating creatures."

quote:

"Based on what that soldier guy said-- is rape endorsed by the Alderode state in cases like these? Like as a mandate to expand their borders or whatever? I know soldiers actually did that stuff in real life and based on what little I know about Alderode it makes a sickening kind of sense. Yikes"

"Yes. Claim the women, slaughter the men, expand their own population with stolen babies. The Ssaelit are particularly keen on this policy lately thanks to the losses they’ve suffered in the plaguelands. Don’t ask how Duane would feel about this because you will not like the answer."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
super excellent how we're getting reminders of alderode's pervasive misogyny on top of their literally genocidal magic towers

they're horrible on every level at once!

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I love how mansplaining exposition makes perfect sense in this hellhole of a country. Not even joking, this is hilarious in a horrible way!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cresce's bad, but jesus it's easy to root for them over Alderode.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm beginning to think this curse is just a huge liability.

Also, I've said it before (at least twice), but the Soud and Ssaelit are playing a losing game here. Alderode pretty much explicitly only tolerates them insofar as they bolster their armed forces against Cresce. The Soud in particular are seen by the other castes as perpetual outsiders, cut off from the Dammakhert. Victory over Cresce just means the violence of the state will turn inwards, towards them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Ssaelit really need a better missionary game, tbh.