Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think of you're looking for bright side stuff the number of comics has increased vastly but that implies a commensurate growth in the potential reading audience. That audience is likely hugely fragmented but hopefully in a good way, beyond the "two guys on a couch" premise being required to draw them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Something like Hugo with imagemagick for batch image conversion and some sort of tagging system for archives and such?

Kind of. At least, that's the prior art I'd be drawing on for some of its features.

I have grand ambitions: make it all GUI so that the artist can focus entirely on the content management; automatically optimize the generated site with things like prefetching the next page, minimizing file sizes, managing multiple resolutions for different contexts; generating an RSS feed, an archive, and a search page; organizing it with optional tags, chapters, and whatnot; putting accessibility features like transcripts and descriptions in the right place; making backups and incremental publication easy and keeping old versions around; easily integrating with social media, hosting solutions, comment platforms, and the like; even things like supporting multiple languages.

Unfortunately, I deplete all of my programming energy at work, so for now all I'll be doing with this dream is dreaming it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

my new comic will be uploaded to image hosts at random, in no particular order.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's basically what Pictures for Sad Children is now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

A lot of this is also nostalgia and comes from one of the folks who made it through the good old days successfully. Jeffrey Rowland had to found an entire distribution company just so he and his friends could write webcomics back in the aughts. And IIRC the amount of work Topatoco took up meant he stopped writing webcomics himself. There's tons of webcomic artists who back then couldn't really make their projects work or get any eyeballs on them because they didn't have connections to other artists.

Interestingly enough, very little of what I read is on Webtoons... but then I read a lot of comics that have been around for over a decade.

yeah all of this sort of handwaves away that back in the hazy glory days of webcomics the only ways to actually make money doing it were vanity press publishing or a Paypal tipjar, and the only people actively trawling the internet for obscure hobby art projects were SA goons and Portal of Evil guys looking for hosed up fetish poo poo to laugh at. toss up your own Wordpress site and promote it via your personal friends' word of mouth and don't ever bother with Kickstarter or Patreon and you'll get the same 40 pageviews a month you woulda got in 2007.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 21, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah all of this sort of handwaves away that back in the hazy glory days of webcomics the only ways to actually make money doing it were vanity press publishing or a Paypal tipjar. toss up your own Wordpress site and promote it via your personal friends' word of mouth and don't ever bother with Kickstarter or Patreon and you'll get the same 40 pageviews a month you woulda got in 2007.

it was better this way

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Speaking of successful authors self-hosting their webcomics, Skin Horse by Shaenon Garrity & Jeffrey Wells, has concluded after nearly 15 years. It's set in the same universe as her earlier work Narbonic (itself excellent), but can be read on its own. I've been waiting for this for years and am definitely going to settle in and read the whole thing now.

Official PDFs and hardcopies can be preordered now, and are expected to be available sometime this fall, but the whole thing can be read without gaps on the website.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ive been following this series of comics (dog names, someone else, no matter what) on twitter and just realized they've also got a dedicated website so here's a link

recommended if you like stories about true crime, being online, and very normal guys

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

dmboogie posted:

ive been following this series of comics (dog names, someone else, no matter what) on twitter and just realized they've also got a dedicated website so here's a link

recommended if you like stories about true crime, being online, and very normal guys

I've heard of No Matter What, it's the one about the guy who was like, accessory to murder and is now appearing on a true crime podcast? Something like that?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

dmboogie posted:

It's really good. Deeply depressing and way too real.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I've heard of No Matter What, it's the one about the guy who was like, accessory to murder and is now appearing on a true crime podcast? Something like that?

thats the broad strokes yeah

it updates decently often but its still a pretty short read to get all caught up so i dont wanna get too in-depth with the summary

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

dmboogie posted:

thats the broad strokes yeah

it updates decently often but its still a pretty short read to get all caught up so i dont wanna get too in-depth with the summary

Can confirm about it being quick to catch up on - i mainlined the whole thing in one sitting. Art's a little rough for me but it fits the mood/setting they're going for.

On a different front i'm trying to track down a webcomic. Involves a female android that needs human contact to survive going on a cross nation road trip with a cute pet android that's plotting a revolution and a NEET guy she met online.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

dmboogie posted:

Hey I liked this, thanks for sharing. The author's good at making the Terminally Online parts feel authentic without like, feeling like it's being mean about it, I guess.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Vattu: And so she says, you can't dismantle the master's house with the master's tools, and I go, I says, they're the only tools I got baby!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wittgen posted:

Today's Wilde Life made me extremely bummed out. Poor frog.

It's alright, man-man's struggling sense of self preservation finally lost the battle.

This might be a spoiler if we didn't all know it was an inevitability.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 28, 2022

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

fritz posted:

Vattu: And so she says, you can't dismantle the master's house with the master's tools, and I go, I says, they're the only tools I got baby!

This all feels like a concluding speech. Wonder what Dahm will get up to next. Lord knows he's been working on Vattu long enough.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

DoctorWhat posted:

That's basically what Pictures for Sad Children is now
Or almost certainly Templar, AZ.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dmboogie posted:

I read these a few months back, definitely more a fan of Dog Names than the rest which is slowly turning into melodrama more than the terminally online but you're a convicted accessory.

:allears:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i like dog names for what its trying to achieve (balancing absurdity of the situation with the horror) and the portrayal of modern online teens as natural drama hounds, but i think im too judgemental and mean to give the main character the sympathy its asking me to.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

toss up your own Wordpress site and promote it via your personal friends' word of mouth and don't ever bother with Kickstarter or Patreon and you'll get the same 40 pageviews a month you woulda got in 2007.
This is what I've been doing and I actually get 60 views a month. I had to check that to make this post; you have to be fairly committed to just not looking at that stuff and doing it for the fun of it.

Hi my comic is Vigils for Friends, it's about ghost hunters but it's not like (or as good as) A Ghost Story. I'm not doing false modesty by the way, I think my comic is good, but AGS is excellent. There that's all the promotion I am doing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SavoyTruffle posted:

This is what I've been doing and I actually get 60 views a month. I had to check that to make this post; you have to be fairly committed to just not looking at that stuff and doing it for the fun of it.

Hi my comic is Vigils for Friends, it's about ghost hunters but it's not like (or as good as) A Ghost Story. I'm not doing false modesty by the way, I think my comic is good, but AGS is excellent. There that's all the promotion I am doing.

This is good! Gave me a good laugh. The primary school chapter even managed to hit me all emotional like.

Gonna keep following the adventures of these ghost-hunting lesbians

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SavoyTruffle posted:

I'm about a third of the way through and I'm enjoying this. I feel similarly about new sweaters and weird old skulls.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

SavoyTruffle posted:

i can't think of a higher compliment to have not only been spoken about so kindly by someone who makes comics but by someone who makes comics that make me laugh for real. the 10th one of the entire series got a for real laugh out of me. poo poo rules, its exactly what it needs to be. idk why but the british-isms keep knocking me on my rear end. screaming "THATS gently caress ALL" at a ghost trying to remember a tv show they might have watched is great

e: hey. i know that

fun hater fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 1, 2022

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

SavoyTruffle posted:

Gosh, I love this! Thanks for posting it.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
Ahh thanks very much everyone! It is very British - specifically Cornish. Glad you got the Bloodborne stuff, fun hater. The longer story that's currently running isn't necessarily the way it's going to be permanently, I'm just experimenting with it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

SavoyTruffle posted:

Ahh thanks very much everyone! It is very British - specifically Cornish. Glad you got the Bloodborne stuff, fun hater. The longer story that's currently running isn't necessarily the way it's going to be permanently, I'm just experimenting with it.

Some of my favourite bits:

- the extremely believable (and very British) hated project developer and his random extreme precision about his phone's model
- the microboop
- the objectionable tit touching
- the malapropisms/language mistakes. "I need you to learn the word Semantics" really got me.
- the guy with his own app getting his comeuppance

The girl who's always cold is also extremely relatable, speaking as someone's who is living with such a specimen.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Ahahah okay I was not expecting the Knightmare callout, nice

Edit: Yeah this is great, good job

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 1, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

fritz posted:

shirts and skins posted:

This all feels like a concluding speech. Wonder what Dahm will get up to next. Lord knows he's been working on Vattu long enough.

Dahm posted it'd be ending by uhhh September, I think? so yeah we've entered End Of Vattu, or: countdown to coup :ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Dahm posted it'd be ending by uhhh September, I think? so yeah we've entered End Of Vattu, or: countdown to coup :ohdear:

I’m not sure if there’s anyone left to try. The emperor’s dead, the chain of succession is toast, the Empire’s main export is gone and anyone trying to take the throne by force has to get past a unified and very temperamental army of ex-conquered peoples first

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SavoyTruffle posted:

That's a good comic, I just read the whole thing and added it to my rss feed. Thanks for making and posting about it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SavoyTruffle posted:

I haven't gotten around to reading it but I've heard good things about your comic from the Dilcast (btw for anyone else reading this post: anyone who's a fan of It Hurts/Please Forgive Me should listen to the Dilcast)

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I haven't gotten around to reading it but I've heard good things about your comic from the Dilcast (btw for anyone else reading this post: anyone who's a fan of It Hurts/Please Forgive Me should listen to the Dilcast)
I didn’t realise they’d spoken about my comic on there, oops! Need to catch up. Gob and Stu (and Josef of IH/PFM) talked me into starting the comic in the first place, and their comics (Stu’s is Merry Hell) are a big influence.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Carefully letting my eyes drift past this page because I still think I can hold out for a printed copy of the last Vattu book

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i like the her

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
loving YES thank you so much

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fun hater posted:

i like dog names for what its trying to achieve (balancing absurdity of the situation with the horror) and the portrayal of modern online teens as natural drama hounds, but i think im too judgemental and mean to give the main character the sympathy its asking me to.

the author is very mean to milo on social media so I think you might have the right idea of it actually

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I have a lot of thoughts about it because yeah, Milo is acting like a developmentally arrested young adult but he literally was institutionalized during the last half of his teenage years so, y'know. I like the absurdity of the situation I guess, using the murder accessory set up as background for him being unable to process and engage with anything and being pushed to more bad choices like a lot of terminally online people. It's like "Tumblr witch steals bones" cranked up to 10.

Like, sorry about the murder and all but stop trying to post through it. Log off. Delete your account. It's not helping.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DoctorWhat posted:

the author is very mean to milo on social media so I think you might have the right idea of it actually
For a minute there I thought you meant Milo Yiannopoulos

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

I read these a few months back, definitely more a fan of Dog Names than the rest which is slowly turning into melodrama more than the terminally online but you're a convicted accessory.

:allears:
Also I scrolled past this post real fast and thought someone had quoted me.

I remember this from before and just binged up to date. It hurts my soul in a way where that's a compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

For a minute there I thought you meant Milo Yiannopoulos

Congratulations. You're the first person who's thought about Milo Yiannopoulos in 5 years.