Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lots of people on my twitter getting very upset about bojo getting caught with his pants down. Apparently this is a resigning matter, you would be fired immediately if caught in and other job, shocking behavior etc.

Just seems very prudish to me. There are so many good reasons to hate him and so many good reasons to get rid of him but is this really one of them? Who cares? Guy got a consensual blowie at work from his literal wife, it's hardly the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Reminder that the government have a tax free childcare scheme, from 0-3 you get £2000 a year towards nursery costs. From 3 onwards you get 30 hours free.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Lots of people on my twitter getting very upset about bojo getting caught with his pants down. Apparently this is a resigning matter, you would be fired immediately if caught in and other job, shocking behavior etc.

Just seems very prudish to me. There are so many good reasons to hate him and so many good reasons to get rid of him but is this really one of them? Who cares? Guy got a consensual blowie at work from his literal wife, it's hardly the end of the world.

Anyone caught getting a blow job or in any compromising sexual situation at any place I've ever worked would be dismissed without notice (and paid off their month or whatever) (eg 2 people doing it in a signalbox, 2 people doing it on a boardroom table to name just 2 real life examples from 2 different organisations).

No it's not the end of the world, but it is just another factor in the complete sleazebag that is Blo Job.

Ed: also, wasn't he still married to someone else at the time?
And one may also wonder whether she felt obliged to do it as a 'power' thing as in some cases of sexual harassment between a boss and lower rank? (without knowing the exact details of their relationship at the time). Eg see the film or read the book Disclosure.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 1, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Getting a blowy at work tends to not really be viewed as acceptable behaviour, regardless of your relationship with the other party.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel like if you're literally the leader of the entire country (allegedly) you should probably get yer blowies on your own time, no?

It's not like he's a call centre worker or some other poor fucker being ruthlessly exploited by capitalism, he should be doing his loving job, he's (allegedly) responsible for the wellbeing of 65 million people.

It's not even in the top twenty worst things he's done, but it still speaks extremely loving badly of him

forkboy84 posted:

Getting a blowy at work tends to not really be viewed as acceptable behaviour, regardless of your relationship with the other party.

Also yeah, this - if he were a call centre worker or some other poor fucker being ruthlessly exploited by capitalism, he would be terminated immediately. Regardless of where we stand on whether it's prudish to think loving at work is acceptable or not, surely he should be held to the same standards as, say, a call centre worker or some other poor fucker being ruthlessly exploited by capitalism?

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 1, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ThomasPaine posted:

Wasn't his wife, and he was trying to get her a job (haha) at the time.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

ThomasPaine posted:

I see your point and felt the same way about Hancock getting done for shifting his assistant or whatever instead of the PPE contracts going to his mates or any one of the other endless gently caress ups he made over covid, but it was a good thing nonetheless.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean, it's probably compounded a bit by the fact he tried to get his mistress a cushy job over it, and then had that story squashed by newspapers (for all the good it did him).

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Guavanaut posted:

I think I just found the ultimate dad joke. This is a level beyond :dadjoke:

https://twitter.com/AlexSelbyB/status/1542537899207540736

(but also yes childcare costs in Britain are bad)

The best thing is you think it might be over when they go to school - but if you work get ready for breakfast and after school club charges that are basically the same.

My parents basically give us about £500 worth of childcare each month, on top of the £500 ish we pay for.

The extra jubilee bank holidays were brilliant - still had to pay for nursery even though they were shut.

God knows how people can afford it down south - we live in the area with apparently best child care costs to wages and it still sucks

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Keirs solemn election pledge: we will never appeal to anybody anywhere

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
What gets me is the fact that childcare is SO expensive, but at the same time the average childcare worker earns absolutely gently caress all, so it's unsustainable on both sides of the equation.

OTOH I picked up my daughter from her 'requires improvement' nursery the other day, and the lady who runs the business had her brand new RS4 parked outside, so perhaps it is the private sector which is to blame?! No, no it can't be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Traditionally that would be what your extended family would be for.

Oh wait we destroyed all that to cater to the free market too *laughs in whiggery*

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yes OK criticise him for all the actual shady stuff involved wrt him trying to get her a job and whatnot, but so much of what I've seen isn't that, it's :popeye: this is inappropriate behavior, a BJ on the clock!!! :eyepop:

Just screams prudishness to me, as if half the people talking wouldn't be delighted if they were getting sucked off at work. Maybe focus on the actual heinous stuff he's doing. If a good PM was caught with their pants down they'd still be a good PM. Boris is a poo poo PM and he's no better or worse for the act itself. It's completely irrelevant.

The whole Clinton and Lewinski thing should also have been a matter between them and his wife. It had no business becoming a huge scandal, and when it did it mostly ended up coming down on the person with the least power. Carrie is a poo poo too so :shrug: that's not a thing that's going to happen here, but the principle is the same. Just tabloid nonsense that shouldn't be an issue one way or another.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's just one of a million examples of him not taking his job seriously and treating it as a power fantasy.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Depending on your earnings and how much you are paying for childcare, it may be worth seeing if you are eligible for Universal Credit.

You can earn quite a considerable sum and still get something back from the government. Universal Credit for us pays for 85% of our childcare costs up to a total of £646. Combine that with the standard allowance, housing allowance and child support allowance and you end up getting something even with the reduction due to earnings.

In addition, once you are on UC, you can then get 15 hours childcare a week free once they are 2 years old.

You may not get a massive amount, but its something. I've also found that if both people are in work, working more than 16 hours, you don't get hassled to find other paid work or jobs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just want to inform people that, unrelated to perusing the forums, I literally did that "spit-take at a joke and damage electronic equipment" meme and killed my desktop.

I am a loving lemon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Boris lives where he works. If you problematise him getting suction at home, he's just gonna end up roaming the streets sticking it into postboxes etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Just want to inform people that, unrelated to perusing the forums, I literally did that "spit-take at a joke and damage electronic equipment" meme and killed my desktop.

I am a loving lemon

Tell us the joke

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tell us the joke

No, don't! Don't tell us the (electronics) killing joke!

We will none of us be able to post, it will be the end of all things

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

No, don't! Don't tell us the (electronics) killing joke!

We will none of us be able to post, it will be the end of all things

It's the Black Mirror version of that Monty Python killing joke bit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes OK criticise him for all the actual shady stuff involved wrt him trying to get her a job and whatnot, but so much of what I've seen isn't that, it's :popeye: this is inappropriate behavior, a BJ on the clock!!! :eyepop:

Just screams prudishness to me, as if half the people talking wouldn't be delighted if they were getting sucked off at work. Maybe focus on the actual heinous stuff he's doing. If a good PM was caught with their pants down they'd still be a good PM. Boris is a poo poo PM and he's no better or worse for the act itself. It's completely irrelevant.

The whole Clinton and Lewinski thing should also have been a matter between them and his wife. It had no business becoming a huge scandal, and when it did it mostly ended up coming down on the person with the least power. Carrie is a poo poo too so :shrug: that's not a thing that's going to happen here, but the principle is the same. Just tabloid nonsense that shouldn't be an issue one way or another.

Nah, gently caress that. The Clinton & Lewinski thing was a public matter because he hosed around with an intern. How many 22 year olds do you think can just say no to the President of the United States? And then he lied about it.

Boris got a blowjob on the clock, from a woman he was trying to get a cushy job for, & who he then pressured newspapers to quash covering that fact. This is not a matter of prudishness. I couldn't give a poo poo if Boris dresses up as a baby & shits in his nappies while Carrie acts his mummy so long as they are doing it in a private place. Pointing out that thing B is bad does not mean that thing A is suddenly not bad. I'm capable of being outraged at the flights to Rwanda & increasing poverty & attempts to crush the unions at the cost of safety while still thinking it's bad that he thinks he's so above facing consequences that he can get sucked off at work.

Saying it's just prudishness is myopic. It's not prudish or an issue of decorum & "proper Prime Ministerial conduct" type poo poo, this is just the latest example that Johnson acts as if consequences are for the little people & if you can't see how that's really dangerous then gently caress, better go to Spec Savers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, gently caress that. The Clinton & Lewinski thing was a public matter because he hosed around with an intern. How many 22 year olds do you think can just say no to the President of the United States? And then he lied about it.

Boris got a blowjob on the clock, from a woman he was trying to get a cushy job for, & who he then pressured newspapers to quash covering that fact. This is not a matter of prudishness. I couldn't give a poo poo if Boris dresses up as a baby & shits in his nappies while Carrie acts his mummy so long as they are doing it in a private place. Pointing out that thing B is bad does not mean that thing A is suddenly not bad. I'm capable of being outraged at the flights to Rwanda & increasing poverty & attempts to crush the unions at the cost of safety while still thinking it's bad that he thinks he's so above facing consequences that he can get sucked off at work.

Saying it's just prudishness is myopic. It's not prudish or an issue of decorum & "proper Prime Ministerial conduct" type poo poo, this is just the latest example that Johnson acts as if consequences are for the little people & if you can't see how that's really dangerous then gently caress, better go to Spec Savers.

I would like to co-sign this

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do you think Liz and Phil ever did it on the throne?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

I am a loving lemon

What were the...mechanics of this? How fragile is your desktop set up? How powerful are your spit-takes? Can we have a video re-enactment

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The shrinking ghost of Scottish Labour howls even quieter this time

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I agree, but as I say that's not the angle a lot of people I see are taking. They're focusing on the inappropriateness of the act itself, not the broader context he did it in. Yes, criticise the abuse of power etc, but don't just suggest that him getting a BJ in Number 10 is a bad awful thing in itself because really? :shrug: Who cares?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's a focus group somewhere being asked if they would like Starmer more if he got caught getting a BJ at work.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In a true democracy we would all have the opportunity to get sucked off in number 10

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

Keirs solemn election pledge: we will never appeal to anybody anywhere

Of all the thousands of things you can criticise Starmer for, this isn't one of them.
The Tories have gone with "A vote for Labour is a vote for Scottish independence" stories at the last couple of GEs. Getting out ahead of it won't stop them from doing the same, but it'll blunt the tactic.
And it's a line of attack that works for the SNP, too. I'm not suggesting there are hundreds of thousands of Scottish voters who'd switch to Labour on that sort of rumour (or enough seats where that might result in a different result), but it exists to convince SNP voters that there's no point voting Labour - they'll get their vote anyway if they vote SNP.

I'm not actually sure what the point of Scottish Labour is, these days. They're basically: "What if Labour, but even more moribund?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ We certainly can blame them, because barring a huge swing there's no electoral calculus that allows a Labour government without SNP support.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Boris lives where he works. If you problematise him getting suction at home, he's just gonna end up roaming the streets sticking it into postboxes etc

Boris wouldn't stick it in a postbox. He wouldn't be able to get it up for thinking it was a Muslim woman.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
For comparison purposes the city of Helsinki, the Finnish capital and the most expensive place to live in, has a calculator for daycare costs. If you were a single parent with the income of 4000€/month you would pay 87€ for a single child. At 3000€/month a single parent would pay nothing. A family of two parents and one child with a total income of 4000€/month (so two 2000€ wages which is really low for Helsinki) would pay 28€/month. A family of three with a total income of 8000€ would pay 196€. Those are presuming the child is in care 5 days a week.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ataxerxes posted:

For comparison purposes the city of Helsinki, the Finnish capital and the most expensive place to live in, has a calculator for daycare costs. If you were a single parent with the income of 4000€/month you would pay 87€ for a single child. At 3000€/month a single parent would pay nothing. A family of two parents and one child with a total income of 4000€/month (so two 2000€ wages which is really low for Helsinki) would pay 28€/month. A family of three with a total income of 8000€ would pay 196€. Those are presuming the child is in care 5 days a week.

Lol.

Lmao.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Boris getting his dick sucked isn't even in the top 1000 things he's done that should get him fired.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

kingturnip posted:

Of all the thousands of things you can criticise Starmer for, this isn't one of them.
The Tories have gone with "A vote for Labour is a vote for Scottish independence" stories at the last couple of GEs. Getting out ahead of it won't stop them from doing the same, but it'll blunt the tactic.
And it's a line of attack that works for the SNP, too. I'm not suggesting there are hundreds of thousands of Scottish voters who'd switch to Labour on that sort of rumour (or enough seats where that might result in a different result), but it exists to convince SNP voters that there's no point voting Labour - they'll get their vote anyway if they vote SNP.

I'm not actually sure what the point of Scottish Labour is, these days. They're basically: "What if Labour, but even more moribund?"

Spoiler: the Tories are going to say that Labour would form a coalition with the SNP anyway

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What were the...mechanics of this? How fragile is your desktop set up? How powerful are your spit-takes? Can we have a video re-enactment

It was mostly hitting my monitor but there's coffee dripping down the walls more than two metres away... I have poo poo-all lung capacity but throughput is clearly nothing to sneeze at. In fact my sneezes are something to fear!

As for the monitor I found that if I tilted it then coffee stated pouring out from the internals, so that monitor is like triple dead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Boris getting his dick sucked isn't even in the top 1000 things he's done that should get him fired.

I liked Ash Sarkar's quip that he's "a man who is only prime minister because he lacks the hip flexibility to suck his own dick"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why I don't share that ethics researcher's concern about sex robots. Anything that keeps men like him busy most of the day can only benefit society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah but this is one of the issues with dealing with a narcissistic sack of poo poo, you end up getting eroded to the point where youre like “well this isn’t as bad as the time they…”. They erode your standards.