Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I love that Ishii just bolts from the scene in the first clip, clearly knowing that he's about to burst out laughing and that there's no way he can stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Yoshi-Hashi was definitely that guy for years if we're talking mediocre. But if we're talking 3.25 stars which is good but not notable I'd say Regal is that guy.

Regal was my pick, too. Especially in '90s WCW, Regal could deliver a match around that level that was the best or second-best match of the night and also forgotten in 24 hours.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I always considered Chavo Guerrero the most mediocre wrestler ever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He got a hobbyhorse over though

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
This might be rose-tinted glasses, but I enjoyed his Pepe run. Might’ve gone too long but he looked like he was having fun with it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Chavo Guerrero and D-Lo Brown set the world on 72 degrees farenheit with a series of 3* matches sure to be remembered for days to follow.
(Unless they happened in WCW in 2000 in which case they would known as 'easily the most underrated matches in WCW in that year')

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

What’s that quote or tweet or whatever from like a decade or so ago that predicted the rise of AEW? Like “someday a rich dude who loves wrestling is going to make good wrestling”

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MancXVI posted:

What’s that quote or tweet or whatever from like a decade or so ago that predicted the rise of AEW? Like “someday a rich dude who loves wrestling is going to make good wrestling”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pPP3Q51CV4

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stealth Tiger posted:

After the star rating questions from last page I feel obligated to ask, who is the most consistently mediocre worker? You guys mentioned bad wrestlers who managed a good match, and great wrestlers who had bad matches, but who always delivers a match that is fine? Just cranking out a conveyor belt of 3.25 star matches every single time, regardless if they are given a once in a lifetime opportunity against an amazing wrestler, while simultaneously if they are put in a terrible situation they manage to avoid having it be an all time dumpster fire that gets mocked relentlessly.

I'm looking around cagematch a little bit and I might have to nominate X-Pac. He never had the highs the other members of the clique reached, wasn't responsible for any of the most memorable moments of the attitude era, then worked TNA after that but never had performances like some of the TNA originals had. But on the other hand, he was definitely a step above the work rate of the average stiff of the new generation era, wasn't involved in anything trainwreck awful during the attitude era or after, and his indie bookings as he got older seemed to be decent, from what I've heard.

Someone already mentioned him, but yeah, throw out some lovely battle royals and a Shane match and Dolph is consistently "fine." (Actually some ****s in there I had forgotten about)

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

drat, at about 7:31 minutes Bryan even predicted The Wizard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stealth Tiger posted:

After the star rating questions from last page I feel obligated to ask, who is the most consistently mediocre worker? You guys mentioned bad wrestlers who managed a good match, and great wrestlers who had bad matches, but who always delivers a match that is fine? Just cranking out a conveyor belt of 3.25 star matches every single time, regardless if they are given a once in a lifetime opportunity against an amazing wrestler, while simultaneously if they are put in a terrible situation they manage to avoid having it be an all time dumpster fire that gets mocked relentlessly.

I'm looking around cagematch a little bit and I might have to nominate X-Pac. He never had the highs the other members of the clique reached, wasn't responsible for any of the most memorable moments of the attitude era, then worked TNA after that but never had performances like some of the TNA originals had. But on the other hand, he was definitely a step above the work rate of the average stiff of the new generation era, wasn't involved in anything trainwreck awful during the attitude era or after, and his indie bookings as he got older seemed to be decent, from what I've heard.

Randy Orton.

If he didn't have the RKO he'd be entirely forgettable.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Are there any brother sister tag teams in the Indys?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

tbf pretty much EVERYONE had been saying for a very long time that all wrestling needed was a younger billionaire who loved wrestling and wasn't stupid. The needed ingredient for a good national promotion were well known forever. But it was very hard to keep the faith that such a specific person would ever show up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Suplex Liberace posted:

Are there any brother sister tag teams in the Indys?

Diamante occasionally teams up with her brother, I believe.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Who was/is the most consistently good booker? I'm not talking about who had the hottest angles or the biggest gates. But which booker booked a wrestling show that was consistently interesting for its audience and kept internal disputes to minimum for the longest period? Doesn't matter how big or small the promotion as long as it survived under their watch and drew consistent crowds.

A couple of noms off the top of my head:

Sanshiro Takagi (who inspired this question) has kept DDT consistently in the top five men's wrestling promotions in Japan for decades now, helped it survive several major setbacks including the loss of tv, and the promotion itself has had a direct hand in creating several of the world's biggest wrestlers and had young talent ready in reserve when they went elsewhere.

Super Dragon has kept PWG a highly anticipated product even if the peak of quality is approaching a decade in the rear mirror. True most of PWG's reputation rests on the backs of the wrestlers who appeared there, but there are other high quality indies with cards packed full of great wrestling and none of them have PWG's aura and reputation.

I don't know much about McMahon snr. but you have to be doing something right if a streak as long as Bruno's was a draw.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hard not to just say Giant Baba. Especially from the late 80s when they started to move to clean finishes. You have the transitions from Baba on top to Jumbo & Tenryu to the Pillars, over 250 consecutive selloust in Tokyo

There's always the story of the first time Misawa beat Jumbo at the Budokan, June 1990, Tsuruta was scheduled to win but on the night the fans outside the venue were chanting MISAWA, between the matches they chanted MISAWA, queueing up for merch, of course Misawa's merch was selling like hotcakes. So Baba goes to Jumbo & tells him he's losing tonight, cease the day. He read the room & was willing to change his plans when it became obvious it was the right thing to do.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Would FTR fit the old term belt marks? And is that even a bad thing? Older dudes used to use it to make fun of performers who cared more about accolades than how much money they earned. But with FTR I think it's more about leaving a legacy.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they are absolutely marks for anything old yeah

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Most modern wrestlers would probably be considered marks of some stripe or another by the old guard, based purely on the fact that it seems like a lot less of them are only in it for the money and fame and more because they loved wrestling growing up and want to emulate their heroes.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are some of the longest and worst feuds of all time with regards to match quality? I've watched SummerSlam 06 and No Mercy 06 and the Chavo Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio matches absolutely sucked. Then they wrestle a loser leaves SmackDown match which I haven't watched but I'm going to assume is bad. Then Rey is out injured for a year and wrestles another match at SummerSlam 07 against Chavo which was really poor followed by an I Quit match on SmackDown which again, is bad.

Then yesterday I watched No Way Out 04 and they have another stinker. I'm watching my way through the 04 PPVs and I'm dismayed to find out they're wrestling again at The Great American Bash. Chavo Guerrero absolutely sucks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kane and Undertaker feuded on-and-off-again for the better part of a decade and pretty much all of it sucked

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

History Comes Inside! posted:

Most modern wrestlers would probably be considered marks of some stripe or another by the old guard, based purely on the fact that it seems like a lot less of them are only in it for the money and fame and more because they loved wrestling growing up and want to emulate their heroes.
But then, and someone can correct me if I am being unfair to the concept of the old guard, they also complain when people like Ultimate Warrior are purely in the business to make as much money as they can without a "love for the business"

Does this all boil down to every old wrestler believing he was the only one who perfectly navigated the waters of "looking out for yourself without being a mark for yourself"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

But then, and someone can correct me if I am being unfair to the concept of the old guard, they also complain when people like Ultimate Warrior are purely in the business to make as much money as they can without a "love for the business"

Does this all boil down to every old wrestler believing he was the only one who perfectly navigated the waters of "looking out for yourself without being a mark for yourself"

it boils down to "retired wrestlers wanted to get paid to do shoot interviews and the best way to do that and get people to listen to it is by burying people"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Both Bork Lazer/Reigns and Cena/Orton have gone so long in the tooth that any goodwill they originally had with the first few matches has been squandered.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think there was never a cena/orton match that i understood why someone could care about it going in. not sure though. felt like hogan versus big boss man more than hogan/savage. i don't really know what the conversation is. sorry if i messed it up

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Kevin Nash embodies this attitude. If you care about losing to him or winning the belt you're a mark because this poo poo is fake. Now when it comes time for Nash to do the honors...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

unfair and uncalled for. kevin nash simply wanted to remain bankable. all a wrestler had to say to get him to book himself to lose to them was that they want to make a lot more money and they'll share the money with him as a percentage of all future earnings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

NWO was great because you had three guys who only cared about getting paid, so they made a very bankable faction that made everyone a lot of money. But when they couldn’t just coast by being cool, things fell apart to a disastrous degree.

Instead of being 100% focused on the money, they could have put a bit of that into having good matches, and made more money.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well eventually the money was gonna be in the downfall of the nWo and good luck negotiating that poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The nWo is the story of how talents make the worst managers.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Cavauro posted:

i think there was never a cena/orton match that i understood why someone could care about it going in. not sure though. felt like hogan versus big boss man more than hogan/savage. i don't really know what the conversation is. sorry if i messed it up

They really tried to make them generational rivals, but Cena’s feuds with Edge, Punk and Batisra were all much more memorable.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They really tried to make them generational rivals, but Cena’s feuds with Edge, Punk and Batisra were all much more memorable.

One of the most embarrassing moments I've seen in wrestling was them doing the Hogan/Rock staredown spot in the Rumble to absolutely no reaction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cavauro posted:

Hogan and Boss Man had a really good cage match at least.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
Have Honma and Makabe ever had a singles match against one another? I feel like I’ve seen it, but can’t find it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

only temporary posted:

Have Honma and Makabe ever had a singles match against one another? I feel like I’ve seen it, but can’t find it

Only one cagematch has listed is the opening round of the 2015 New Japan Cup

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What two wrestlers have had more televised singles matches than Kane and the Big Show? They wrestled each other 22 times from 1999-2014. For the record, Big Show went 13-7, with 2 no contests.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

What two wrestlers have had more televised singles matches than Kane and the Big Show? They wrestled each other 22 times from 1999-2014. For the record, Big Show went 13-7, with 2 no contests.

Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston have had 23. 29 if PPVs count.

Their overall record is 14-14-1 so clearly we need a rubber match.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
When was the last time someone in a major promotion won a televised match clean with a bridging/holding German Suplex?

I'm only kinda half-serious when I ask this, but it struck me the other day: A German Suplex these days is pretty much exclusively a move that is used for a near-fall, but I can't recall a single instance of it being used since I started watching wrestling to actually pin someone.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breetai posted:

When was the last time someone in a major promotion won a televised match clean with a bridging/holding German Suplex?

I'm only kinda half-serious when I ask this, but it struck me the other day: A German Suplex these days is pretty much exclusively a move that is used for a near-fall, but I can't recall a single instance of it being used since I started watching wrestling to actually pin someone.

El Lindaman beat TJP with a German Suplex in the Best of the Super Juniors

Depending on whether you want to categorise All Japan as a major promotion still, Kento Miyahara's finish is a straitjacket German Suplex

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

An arm-trap German is Kento Miyahara's finishing move and he only recently lost the Triple Crown, if you want to stretch the definition of major promotion

e: drat GWB, you sniped me :argh: