Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks to you and the goon who suggested cablemod. I ended up picking up a cable on Amazon that uses g16 (brand is GunMjo) and it works great and looks very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

mariooncrack posted:

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/copy-of-hhkb-bundle-hotswap

Not sure if this supports ISO but I think it's what you want.

Oooh, thanks for this - looks like the route I need to be taking...

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Who wants a squishy 1% keyboard?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001839735074.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just ordered three, thank you.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just in case anyone is wondering, Exit Strategy is back to being really active on the QMK discord, posting shots of his cool new >100% keyboards he’s designed and made. Kind of sucks.
Goes by Fate, can see his new prototypes in the #build-pics channel.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Opioid posted:

Just in case anyone is wondering, Exit Strategy is back to being really active on the QMK discord, posting shots of his cool new >100% keyboards he’s designed and made. Kind of sucks.

I wasn't going to engage but then I saw some poor guy asking about buying something from him, so grenade tossed.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If anyone's been holding out for one of those new Nuphy keyboards, they're back in stock, as are the low profile Gateron switches and alternate keycaps.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Opioid posted:

Feels bad man. Is he really just an out and out scammer then?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ijyt posted:

I wasn't going to engage but then I saw some poor guy asking about buying something from him, so grenade tossed.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Feels bad man. Is he really just an out and out scammer then?

The most charitable interpretation I can imagine (based on the facts in this thread, I'm not in the QMK discord) is he's still focused as a hobbyist who realized actually selling his creations was too much work. He could enjoy showing off his creations, and someone else asked about getting one for themselves in exactly the same way we did in this thread. If he's smart and ethical, ES would turn down the inquiry.

This is the absolute best-case scenario I can conjure. I'm not inclined to offer that much charity at the moment.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unfortunately we have already established that he is unethical. (Also already established: that I am a dumb rube ripe for the exploiting.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If he's smart and ethical, ES would turn down the inquiry.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Roast his rear end!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Welp.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

now that's out of the way...

anyone got a cool source of knobs or is there something beyond volume/pageup (or down) they use their rotary encoders for? Been splitting time between the Sofle at home and the Sinc at the office and didn't know if I should be messing with the default behaviours

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Mr. Mercury posted:

now that's out of the way...

anyone got a cool source of knobs or is there something beyond volume/pageup (or down) they use their rotary encoders for? Been splitting time between the Sofle at home and the Sinc at the office and didn't know if I should be messing with the default behaviours

I've bought a few knobs from here and I can recommend them: https://lovemyswitches.com/knobs/

I mostly use it for volume adjustment or scroll wheel up/down.

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

I PM'ed the mod of the QMK discord asking if he needed any screenshots or links to the Exit Strategy related posts. He says he has been sent a bunch, so hopefully they will do whatever necessary to prevent others from being scammed.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Barkhawk posted:

I PM'ed the mod of the QMK discord asking if he needed any screenshots or links to the Exit Strategy related posts. He says he has been sent a bunch, so hopefully they will do whatever necessary to prevent others from being scammed.

That was me!

Also to reiterate, gently caress this guy lol

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ijyt posted:

:munch:

Gearman posted:

I've bought a few knobs from here and I can recommend them: https://lovemyswitches.com/knobs/

drat, that is a fine selection of knobs (:quagmire:). If When I finally succumb to the lure of a rotary encoder, I'll remember to check them out

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oop, definitely not getting my money back now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ah so that's what it was. He realized that $250 was way less than the boards were worth, so instead of coming back and telling us "it's taking longer than I thought parts are more expensive than I thought yadda yadda" he just pocketed our money and then sold the boards to someone else for twice the price.

:ms: at least and I deserved the fleecing I got.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nobody deserves to get fleeced. Thanks all for looking out for members of your community. :gbsmith:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Gearman posted:

This is excellent! Nor if only international shipping wasn't so unreasonable :freep:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ijyt posted:

That was me!

Also to reiterate, gently caress this guy lol

Yeah okay gently caress him. Choke on those switches I
mailed you, shithead.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Is there such a thing as a modern buckling spring keyboard other than Unicomp or a full custom? I have a vintage Model M that I love, but it's too big for my desk and I miss the Windows key. From looking at r/mechanicalkeyboards I think I want something with a 96% or 1800 layout (I want to keep the 10 key for sure) with the keys that go *ping*. If not, is there another switch that approximates the feel of those old IBM switches?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rockear posted:

Is there such a thing as a modern buckling spring keyboard other than Unicomp or a full custom? I have a vintage Model M that I love, but it's too big for my desk and I miss the Windows key. From looking at r/mechanicalkeyboards I think I want something with a 96% or 1800 layout (I want to keep the 10 key for sure) with the keys that go *ping*. If not, is there another switch that approximates the feel of those old IBM switches?

Nope. I've heard that kalih box pinks are the closest mechanical approximation to buckling springs, but if you want the genuine article then it's Unicomp or nothin'.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ah that's too bad, thank you. Guess I'll look for a bigger desk LOL

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

e: reading comprehension fail, move along, nothing to see here

e2: No wait I'll post something: Unicomp will probably go under at some point in the not too distant future, and I really really hope the technology is purchased by a company big enough and interesting enough to make modern keyboards with it. Buckling springs are one of mankind's most magnificent achievements, and should not be missed out on by the masses because they don't come with blinkenlights.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 2, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I use the box pinks in my Sofle and they're quite nice, as someone who used an M for about 12 years

Worth a go anyway

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Cool I will take a look at those Pinks and maybe try to grab a Unicomp in case they aren't available in the future. My Model M is a '95 or something and is in good shape but has a lot of miles on it I would imagine. Thanks goons.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The guys who mailed him stuff should file a police report. See who’s laughing then.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

The guys who mailed him stuff should file a police report. See who’s laughing then.

The ones laughing would be the police.

I mean yes he definitely committed fraud but the amounts involved relative to the work involved in crossing jurisdictions, etc. etc. mean no law enforcement official will care and you can't hire a lawyer without paying more than all of us were collectively defrauded for. It was a $250 life lesson.

e: Did he actually ship one or two of the five goon boards? He said he did IIRC but I don't know if anyone actually received a board and I assume no one did unless someone posts here otherwise.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 2, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I know it's not what you guys ITT are really into but I'm getting on really well with my MX Keys Mini. Really nice typing action - I prefer it to my full size mechanical to be honest - fits easily in my work bag, really space efficient on my desk.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Eric the Mauve posted:

The ones laughing would be the police.

I mean yes he definitely committed fraud but the amounts involved relative to the work involved in crossing jurisdictions, etc. etc. mean no law enforcement official will care and you can't hire a lawyer without paying more than all of us were collectively defrauded for. It was a $250 life lesson.

e: Did he actually ship one or two of the five goon boards? He said he did IIRC but I don't know if anyone actually received a board and I assume no one did unless someone posts here otherwise.

I guess our justice system works a bit differently then the one in the US.

You could try to send him a letter in legalese and hope that scares him enough, but I doubt it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I honestly have contemplated pursuing legal action just on principle even knowing it will cost me four times what just accepting the life lesson would cost me, because gently caress that guy. But it's small claims stuff and the harsh truth is nobody cares. I don't doubt I could get a summary judgment but I'll pay a lawyer a four digit number for it and then most likely no one's going to bother to enforce it.

Alternatively I could probably pursue it without a lawyer and still get a judgment in my favor but that would require a large investment of time I don't really have.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 2, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rockear posted:

Besides unicomp (which has a TKL board now if you want a smaller one and has windows keys on many boards) there's also the model f's that are being produced here:
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/
They're around $400 but probably worth it if they last 20+ years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I honestly have contemplated pursuing legal action just on principle even knowing it will cost me four times what just accepting the life lesson would cost me, because gently caress that guy. But it's small claims stuff and the harsh truth is nobody cares. I don't doubt I could get a summary judgment but I'll pay a lawyer a four digit number for it and then most likely no one's going to bother to enforce it.

Alternatively I could probably pursue it without a lawyer and still get a judgment in my favor but that would require a large investment of time I don't really have.

I touched on this in an earlier post. It crossed state lines so it's actually a federal beef but in practice nobody will care about the chump change amounts. Treating it like a failed dickstarter and moving on with your life is probably going to be the optimal choice.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rexxed posted:

Besides unicomp (which has a TKL board now if you want a smaller one and has windows keys on many boards) there's also the model f's that are being produced here:
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/
They're around $400 but probably worth it if they last 20+ years.

Oh wow yeah the 77 key version is pretty much exactly what I want... now I just need to decide if the ping is worth $400 to me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Midjack posted:

I touched on this in an earlier post. It crossed state lines so it's actually a federal beef but in practice nobody will care about the chump change amounts. Treating it like a failed dickstarter and moving on with your life is probably going to be the optimal choice.

Naw, I want my money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

We need to burn bitter herbs and chant something to cleanse this thread of a ghost of perma'd posters past