Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ll take two tickets!

I assume this is staged and with CGI, but if not doooppppppeered. Hell even if it is staged it’s still dope looking.

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1542503905027772417?s=21&t=Jj0OrVIawiz3Iw6BJbsq0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’ll take two tickets!

I assume this is staged and with CGI, but if not doooppppppeered. Hell even if it is staged it’s still dope looking.

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1542503905027772417?s=21&t=Jj0OrVIawiz3Iw6BJbsq0Q

That _has_ to be fake.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I'd watch that movie lmao, that's pretty good CGI.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cimber posted:

That _has_ to be fake.

Yeah, but as I said I’ll take two tickets!

Dune buggy brings back fond memories of one of my favorite childhood action movies.

https://youtu.be/SQUeQOIlcDM

Yes I know Chuck is trash, shame as he was a kid fav, but I’ll take still having cool and good Arnold any day of the week.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Do Russians use mines? I’m worried that the retreat will feature a ton of mines / IEDs and require years of bomb disposal work before the areas can be reoccupied by returning UA civilians following the wars end.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nystral posted:

Do Russians use mines? I’m worried that the retreat will feature a ton of mines / IEDs and require years of bomb disposal work before the areas can be reoccupied by returning UA civilians following the wars end.

Oh they certainly do! And there have been lots of cases e.g. where they pulled out around Kyiv and left all manner of booby traps and poo poo behind.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

It will indeed require years of bomb disposal work. They'll still be digging Russian mines and unexploded ordinance out of Ukraine long after you die of old age.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrath posted:

Oh they certainly do! And there have been lots of cases e.g. where they pulled out around Kyiv and left all manner of booby traps and poo poo behind.

Lots of ones in toys, one in a loving piano, and just literally the worst poo poo possible. It’s kind of why that old video of a Chechen TikTok warriors recording himself stepping on mine is some sweet sweet karma.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Lots of ones in toys
:stare:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ruscrimes24/status/1542105836360712201?s=21&t=oggyTflbticBMCjd3TqGSQ

https://twitter.com/tamara_tamisa/status/1542487553487605762?s=21&t=oggyTflbticBMCjd3TqGSQ

https://twitter.com/rohanarezel/status/1497671096799092736?s=21&t=oggyTflbticBMCjd3TqGSQ

I’m not gonna lie if they found the person doing it and wasted them…well gently caress around and find out.

That’s said the best outcome is to find them and put them on trial.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 30, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

I rememebr hearing that poo poo back when they were fighting in Afganastan in the 80s. They would drop toys laiden with explosives knowing kids would pick them up. Wounding kids was the purpose, because maimed kids are a drain on the villagers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cimber posted:

I rememebr hearing that poo poo back when they were fighting in Afganastan in the 80s. They would drop toys laiden with explosives knowing kids would pick them up. Wounding kids was the purpose, because maimed kids are a drain on the villagers.

Yeah, the butterfly mines are made of plastic and designed to maim, not kill.

They are well documented used in Afghanistan rig toys, it’s not even a topic of debate it’s just an accepted fact by anyone, just not the Russians… except when they’re reminiscing and laughing about all those maimed children. The fact gently caress General probably did a lot of that back then.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

It bears repeating, the Ukrainians are fighting tooth and nail for a reason.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

That specific type of weapon was used a lot by them in Afghanistan when they would booby trap toys, so yeah they're recycling old tactics. It's just so profoundly hosed up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’ll take two tickets!

New Twisted Metal reboot?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://t.me/combat_ftg

If you got some cash to waste there's artillerymen willing to deliver your message to the nearest Russian via shell.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I mean the shell explodes before the Russians see it but I’d pay to have “неразорвавшаяся оболочка - или это?” written on a few.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

https://t.me/combat_ftg

If you got some cash to waste there's artillerymen willing to deliver your message to the nearest Russian via shell.

21st century is so weird, but also cool. I might have to look into this service.

Your signed shells are in progress.
Our volunteers are constantly looking for more soldiers to help with signs.
Please be patient. You will receive your photos ASAP.

If your sign needs to be done by a special date - note it.

No need to text me every day 🙏

P.s last photo with shells looks cool, but signs look bad so we have to redo them

P.s.s videos are more problematic then photos of shells.

Subscribe on our social media
Inst - instagram.com/help_army_cherkasy
Facebook - facebook.com/helparmycherkassty/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Wow you guys are fighting a brutal war against Russia and amazing people all over the world with how well you're doing. So what's your job in this war?"

"I write messages on ammunition and film it for others to see."

The future is weird.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

"Wow you guys are fighting a brutal war against Russia and amazing people all over the world with how well you're doing. So what's your job in this war?"

The future is weird.

Well it is donations by other means. lol

But yeah very weird.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

21st century is so weird, but also cool. I might have to look into this service.

Your signed shells are in progress.
Our volunteers are constantly looking for more soldiers to help with signs.
Please be patient. You will receive your photos ASAP.

If your sign needs to be done by a special date - note it.

No need to text me every day 🙏

P.s last photo with shells looks cool, but signs look bad so we have to redo them

P.s.s videos are more problematic then photos of shells.

Subscribe on our social media
Inst - instagram.com/help_army_cherkasy
Facebook - facebook.com/helparmycherkassty/

High above the alleys of Manhattan, a Nestle executive begins to get an erection.
A thousand kilometers to the south, William Gibson frowns at his sudden indigestion.
For this fraction of a moment, the balance remains.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

joat mon posted:

High above the alleys of Manhattan, a Nestle executive begins to get an erection.
A thousand kilometers to the south, William Gibson frowns at his sudden indigestion.

Russia signs over a cut of grain sales to nestle in exchange for guided missiles

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Anybody here been under artillery attack? I've heard it sucks exponentially more than mortar attacks, which I and many others here are familiar with. And this is what's being lobbed against both sides in this stupid war.
What is it like?
I imagine this question would mainly cover 2003 Iraq invasion vets.
edit: I've only experienced mortar attacks

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 1, 2022

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Judging by how a lot of US combat vets that went to Ukraine came right back in a few weeks, I'm gonna assume it's super, super bad.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Anybody here been under artillery attack? I've heard it sucks exponentially more than mortar attacks, which I and many others here are familiar with. And this is what's being lobbed against both sides in this stupid war.
What is it like?
I imagine this would mainly cover 2003 Iraq invasion vets.

I'm sure they called it 'shell-shocked' for a reason.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

joat mon posted:

In 1983 Gibson imagined a world where activists/terrorists would go-pro themselves as they slaughtered the lobby of a megacorp and fought a holding action with police and live streamed it around the world as a distraction for someone to steal something further in the building.

The question is, was his vision of the future dark enough?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Murgos posted:

In 1983 Gibson imagined a world where activists/terrorists would go-pro themselves as they slaughtered the lobby of a megacorp and fought a holding action with police and live streamed it around the world as a distraction for someone to steal something further in the building.

This Die Hard reboot sounds awesome.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

This Die Hard reboot sounds awesome.

I refuse to watch media where Adam Smasher is the protagonist.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Murgos posted:

If they were in a prolonged gunfight with cops that means A. cops were getting shot because B. they were actually doing their loving jobs so really when you think about it its a brighter future than what we've got

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1542871757719232512

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62#Variants

Variant from 1982. Nice

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp, unless they were operating without their full crew complement, looks like someone didn't make it out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Welp, unless they were operating without their full crew complement, looks like someone didn't make it out.

T72s and later operate with 3 crew. It's quite possible that they're only putting 3 guys in the T62s, and just figuring out how to make do down one man. This is pure speculation on my part, however.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What is it like?

Artillery can quite literally scramble your brains and damage your internal organs if it hits close enough, even if you're in a protected position. Even worse, unlike, say, an air strike, it can go on for hours and can start with absolutely no warning, end with no indication, and only when you think it's finally let up, start up all over again. All the while you're powerless to do anything about it other than cower in whatever hole you've found that provides enough cover from being turned inside out by flying shrapnel. Some WWI accounts say it's worse than being gassed because while gas is a horrible way to die, it was sporadic and relatively brief in duration. A concentrated artillery barrage becomes your entire life, and American soldiers haven't faced a real one in a long, long time.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

There's something oddly sad about sending in an undermanned T-62M.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
T-62s don't have autoloaders, so you need to budget an extra man over T-72s

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bird food bathtub posted:

The future is weird.

Very William Gibsonesque.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

catfry posted:

T-62s don't have autoloaders, so you need to budget an extra man over T-72s

You can double up duties on your TC or your Gunner. It drastically reduces that person's efficiency at both jobs by something worse than 50% reduction in performance.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Stravag posted:

If they were in a prolonged gunfight with cops that means A. cops were getting shot because B. they were actually doing their loving jobs so really when you think about it its a brighter future than what we've got

It's all sunshine and rainbows over here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stravag posted:

They were doing their job, which was to protect property and serve wealth. Same as the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What is it like?

I always thought it was interesting that our battle drill for reacting to artillery fire was to hit the deck, then pick a direction and run for your lives, whereas for 107mm rockets my battle drill was to roll out of bed and go back to sleep on the floor. (at least before they started using willy pete)

When was the last time we were in a conventional artillery fight? Vietnam? Maybe there has been some small-scale stuff here and there but I'm not sure if that was a big thing in Iraq.