Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/Jordan_Devlin1/status/1542525497799839745

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Presumably because doing the shoelaces of someone accused a physically abusing an ex is below Tana

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

why is he comparing John Cena to Jim Varney :confused:

Scoop Slam Ernest

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Scoop Slam Ernest

But I digress

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/skinnymysterio/status/1542606446654889986?t=OHCyrvBcJH_-zgSxO5C43w&s=19

https://twitter.com/Jrodbad/status/1542606818438008840?t=hyLU9qsxMuMBTfDZ7US_hg&s=19

https://twitter.com/FedBadTNF/status/1542619228670492672?t=nGzmwE3zJOJ4sAxaor-KnA&s=19

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
literally who are they even talking about? there's nobody in AEW that was told by WWE they couldn't wrestle anymore.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the original Edge is in AEW as 'Luchasaurus'

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

literally who are they even talking about? there's nobody in AEW that was told by WWE they couldn't wrestle anymore.

Bryan is the closest to that but they told him he can wrestle again too and his current time off seems to be him continuing to be careful about concussions.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Adam Cole is closest because Vince was gonna make him a manager

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He said he HATED his time there. He was hired specifically to come up with new podcast and web show ideas, and then literally zero of his ideas ever went beyond landing on Vince's desk and getting immediately rejected. And some of them sounded like can't miss pure gold hits. Meanwhile the higher ups kept making deals with complete morons who came to Dan with ideas like "hey our research shows that colour runs are popular with the New Day's demographics, so maybe the New Day guys could do a colour run and stream themselves doing it and interact with the audience to drive engagement", and everyone was completely baffled because the ideas didn't make a loving bit of sense and were just some marketing bros slapping together buzzwords they heard somewhere.

Towards the end of his time there they weren't even recording new episodes of existing podcasts because the WWE didn't care and were just happy running reruns and best of episodes to fulfill contractual obligations with advertisers.

It's been a year and they're still releasing best of episodes of the New Day podcast which makes no sense when you can just pull up the old episode at anytime.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Presumably because doing the shoelaces of someone accused a physically abusing an ex is below Tana

Dalton :allears:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Penguin Patrol posted:

Adam Cole is closest because Vince was gonna make him a manager

Didnt they not want Christian wrestling anymore either?

Though he's not injured so who knows

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The kicker: This was a comment on a picture of Claudio and Yuta together.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JT Smiley posted:

It's been a year and they're still releasing best of episodes of the New Day podcast which makes no sense when you can just pull up the old episode at anytime.

Yeah, it's completely baffling. They have no idea (well I say "they", but Dan made it 100% clear it was all Vince) and just jumped on the podcast train because it was the hot new thing and now they don't give a gently caress anymore and recording new episodes probably costs a few bucks so nah.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

The kicker: This was a comment on a picture of Claudio and Yuta together.

That post should say "I don't watch NJPW or AEW". Ignoring the fact that they think he's a NJPW guy, them saying he's had no storyline is ridiculous.

Starts as essentially the designated pin taker for Best Friends.
Gets named by Danielson to Mox as one of the key young talents they could be building up.
Shows interest in joining after a few run-ins with them and is refused entry after getting slapped by Regal but doesn't back down.
Has an absolute star making performance against Mox leading to him joining the BCC and getting very over with crowds.
Won the ROH Pure title and is the current holder.
Became part of the feud with the JAS.
Sent to Japan to be in BOSJ as the AEW and BCC representative.

And then he was in two fantastic matches this week where he was super over with the crowds and holding his own, but nope, I don't know who he is so he's not been built up in any way.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Everyone loves to fantasy book the WWF/WCW Invasion but it would be exactly the same scenario of "I don't know who any of these people are, what's the storyline?" to the average WWF viewer at the time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

If they keep releasing best of episodes it stops the podcast going inactive, so all of the zombie subscribers who just let it run every week still look like engaged listeners on some marketing person’s spreadsheet that justifies why you should pay them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

keithy george posted:

Everyone loves to fantasy book the WWF/WCW Invasion but it would be exactly the same scenario of "I don't know who any of these people are, what's the storyline?" to the average WWF viewer at the time.

Twitter is full of idiots currently that Kingston hating Claudio hasn't been explained to that all and they don't understand it. Of course they do understand it but they like pretending that just because they do The Acerage Fan does not (they are less intelligent than the average fan as the average fan view of Kingston is "emotional angry person who has grudges with everyone and thus this is entirely understandable and internally consistent.")

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/L16Michael/status/1542533190795010049

The Chris Regal Memorial Thread: A Crowd Full of Desperados

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Household names like Madcap Moss and Shenky

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I know the AEW announcers kept saying his name that way but it’s formally El Desperado

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Desperados is his brother

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He'd better let somebody love him before it's too late.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Desperados is his brother

Only the first Desperados. They had to do some mask shuffling when the brother signed with WWE, so the current Desperados is someone else entirely.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

Twitter is full of idiots currently that Kingston hating Claudio hasn't been explained to that all and they don't understand it. Of course they do understand it but they like pretending that just because they do The Acerage Fan does not (they are less intelligent than the average fan as the average fan view of Kingston is "emotional angry person who has grudges with everyone and thus this is entirely understandable and internally consistent.")

They haven't explained Eddie/Claudio because they want it to be a mystery to people who don't know and also use it as a plot anchor to flesh out the story and the inevitable feud

It's loving awesome

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

jesus christ lol This guy is applying way more awe than any wrestling show deserves. It's supposed to be a fun time that helps distract from the hell world. It's not supposed to be some traditional birthright passed from father to son jesus. It's just a wrestling show dude

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shard posted:

jesus christ lol This guy is applying way more awe than any wrestling show deserves. It's supposed to be a fun time that helps distract from the hell world. It's not supposed to be some traditional birthright passed from father to son jesus. It's just a wrestling show dude

WWE for them is the only wrestling they knew for near 20 years, and now they have what they perceive as some existential threat to their existence. The same sort of arguments are always leveled when a gap opens and a competitor rises, like when the ABA came up to make basketball exciting as the NBA was boring as gently caress, and people desperately choose sides as if their thing will die because the competition emerged (and not that the competition emerged because of failures of the main brand).

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
any day now AEW will run out of pops and the crowds will die down

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Hoss Corncave posted:

That post should say "I don't watch NJPW or AEW". Ignoring the fact that they think he's a NJPW guy, them saying he's had no storyline is ridiculous.

"AEW has no stories" is the most widespread galaxy brain bad take by far at this point. People really believe that it's not a storyline unless the wrestlers have like 27 matches in a row and the announcers recap it every 5 minutes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Stabs Boys are now so great they've reached "worthy of bad takes" status by the twitterati

https://twitter.com/jdiablethe2nd/status/1542557559495745538?t=zAen-un-cubjFmiXV4G1gw&s=19

https://twitter.com/BuckStarsky22/status/1542569455385018368?t=fwpVlBq0DL9LcfFUvHT9Rw&s=19

https://twitter.com/leswhining/status/1542608092151443457?t=iDZWz_Tubecp1AwWEN52_w&s=19

https://twitter.com/Khanophile1/status/1542566470651191296?t=jcnvlRjk7rWLeL3k0AkZow&s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Basically sodomized.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

One of my favorite things in the world is when someone thinks they're insulting you but is actually giving you an overwhelming compliment. "Crowd full of desperados" - how does any human brain clock that as a bad thing?

Drakkel posted:

"AEW has no stories" is the most widespread galaxy brain bad take by far at this point. People really believe that it's not a storyline unless the wrestlers have like 27 matches in a row and the announcers recap it every 5 minutes

Honestly I kind of love this take because it's not a bad faith argument, most of these people genuinely believe that "good storytelling" means repeating and recapping stories so frequently that you barely have to watch the shows to follow them. It's such a baffling way to consume media, I can't think of anything that works similarly.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
These outlaw muds how crowds don't know how to work. They're trying to get their poo poo in, cheer all the spots. WWE fans know to hold their pops.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

which company's audience believes the weirdo bullshit that al snow says? like there's one pop on a show and that's it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Picking just the one of these I remember, they beat the Lucha Bros as part of a multi man in December.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you give away all the pops there will be no pops left. They're a finite resource and AEW is burning through them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We already passed peak pops in the early 00s.

Unless someone works out how to frack a wrestling audience the industry is hosed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

AEW are hoping to move onto Renewable Pops by 2030.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I have seen people on twitter unironically say that AEW has too many good matches and that they'll eventually "run out" of matches. Not even in terms of what they do on free TV, as if you should save certain PPV matches like you're squirreling money for a rainy day.

This is also the most WWE-brained thing imaginable because it's admitting that you don't create new draws in wrestling, the pool of wrestlers you want to see wrestle is finite and will eventually run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

I loving wish I was as cool as Despy :(