Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Crosspost from the Oath thread. I completed my first 30k squad!

Rocks rocks rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

pretty sure i'm just an idiot, but how do i get contemptor arms for the resin FW contemptors? can't find them on the site.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, what exactly is the point of the Pathfinder consul? Doesn't seem like it can actually do much of anything to justify the cost on its own, and making it less incredibly fragile (or shootier) sinks even more cost into one of the most fragile models a Legion army would get.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

pretty sure i'm just an idiot, but how do i get contemptor arms for the resin FW contemptors? can't find them on the site.

oh, they took all the resin arms off the FW store, seemingly because of the forthcoming plastic kit having sprues with most? all? of the options

as for when, if, or what form they'll come back in, ~it's a mystery~

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Assessor of Maat posted:

oh, they took all the resin arms off the FW store, seemingly because of the forthcoming plastic kit having sprues with most? all? of the options

as for when, if, or what form they'll come back in, ~it's a mystery~

Given everything I've heard from the retailer end of things, as well as some various mutterings from "my uncle who works at Nintendo", they will not be returning. Everything "generic" will be moving exclusively to plastic.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Broken Record Talk posted:

Given everything I've heard from the retailer end of things, as well as some various mutterings from "my uncle who works at Nintendo", they will not be returning. Everything "generic" will be moving exclusively to plastic.

Unfortunate in this case, since there's a component missing from the Legion-specific Contemptors required to mount the plastic gun arms on them that (as far as I know) isn't included on the weapon sprues, just the actual Contemptor sprue.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Unfortunate in this case, since there's a component missing from the Legion-specific Contemptors required to mount the plastic gun arms on them that (as far as I know) isn't included on the weapon sprues, just the actual Contemptor sprue.

Genius move.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ijyt posted:

Genius move.

Considering they changed the hand designs so every previous weapon upgrade is incompatible with the new MkVI armor... it's on brand.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

So, what exactly is the point of the Pathfinder consul? Doesn't seem like it can actually do much of anything to justify the cost on its own, and making it less incredibly fragile (or shootier) sinks even more cost into one of the most fragile models a Legion army would get.

The Pathfinder is probably the only trap consul choice. I can't really think of anything they offer that another consul doesn't do better

These look great! Nice work!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

What's the piece? I've got a few of both kits, so I'm interested to see if it's there or not!

If not, as Ijyt said, it's extremely on-brand for them

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

SkyeAuroline posted:

have the contemptor sprues from the AoD box right in front of me; the necessary parts are there. might be some trimming required for the plastic upper arm part to fit the resin shoulder, I don't have a resin one to compare but the connection between them looks slightly different

what is a problem, is there's only the one pair of shoulders and upper arms on that sprue. with a melta, las, auto, bolt and fist all wanting them even if you magnetize.

there's a possibility the other sprue(s) in the boxed version will have more, but it's GW, so...

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 1, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Assessor of Maat posted:

have the contemptor sprues from the AoD box right in front of me; the necessary parts are there. might be some trimming required for the plastic upper arm part to fit the resin shoulder, I don't have a resin one to compare but the connection between them looks slightly different

what is a problem, is there's only the one pair of shoulders and upper arms on that sprue. with a melta, las, auto, bolt and fist all wanting them even if you magnetize.

there's a possibility the other sprue(s) in the boxed version will have more, but it's GW, so...

Yeah, the upper arm is the bit I was concerned about based on what's been shown of them. The old contemptors have shoulders but not the upper arm, and the resin upgrade kits included the upper arm as a result - at least the previews for the extra arm weapons didn't show upper arms. I can't really look at the kit in person myself to check - even setting aside financial difficulties my local scene has been 100% dead since 8th dropped and HH/40K became non-compatible, so any money spent on it is as good as thrown in a fire.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

my local scene has been 100% dead since 8th dropped and HH/40K became non-compatible, so any money spent on it is as good as thrown in a fire.

If my scene is anything like yours, the few HH holdouts might suddenly be seeing a massive influx of frustrated current and former 40k players. We bought 60 boxed sets, with only about 20 of them pre-sold, and folks who did not currently play ended up buying another 15ish of them. Our group has doubled in the last two months, purely because of the new rules.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Broken Record Talk posted:

If my scene is anything like yours, the few HH holdouts might suddenly be seeing a massive influx of frustrated current and former 40k players. We bought 60 boxed sets, with only about 20 of them pre-sold, and folks who did not currently play ended up buying another 15ish of them. Our group has doubled in the last two months, purely because of the new rules.

The only store that had holdouts closed and was bulldozed. The one active Warhammer-related store is pure 40k (they don't even like having Sigmar players there), the other is a mixture of various games but is invite-only for all of their social media and only allows scheduling games through said social media (it's some dude's clique that happens to have a storefront). It's dead and I'm okay with that. I continue to stick around for the lore, creative modeling stuff, and maybe roping people into TTS or something. And, of course, I'm too broke for this poo poo any more.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

These own. Nice work

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Still playing with lists. This one is called “I actually want to play Alpharius.” It’s a Headhunter Leviathal as long as Alpharius uses Everywhere and Nowhere to give my Tacticals and Lernaeans Deep Strike.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Still playing with poses, but made some progress on my preator

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Very cool, I like the Tengu-like effect of the helmet.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
hey thanks, that's what I'm going for!

still needs a lot of de-AOSification, but its getting there

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

hey thanks, that's what I'm going for!

still needs a lot of de-AOSification, but its getting there

Cables. Lots of cables. Have you tried an Anvilus backpack to see how it looks? Though I still think Maloghurst's is coolest and I need that mini to pilfer for bitz.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
PDF!

Fulmentarii are expensive beasts now. Locutarii can take legatine axes.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Beerdeer posted:

PDF!

Fulmentarii are expensive beasts now. Locutarii can take legatine axes.

... hey, wait a second. The Hammerfall Bunker has rules in this PDF. Isn't that a Primaris fortification?

Also, lmao @ Fulmentarii keeping AP2 plasma.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Floppychop posted:

Anyone know a good source of Salamander-looking shields? Doesn't have to be GW approved.

The Saurus Warriors and Temple Guard from the Lizardmen/Seraphon have some pretty draconic looking shields

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SkyeAuroline posted:

... hey, wait a second. The Hammerfall Bunker has rules in this PDF. Isn't that a Primaris fortification?

I think this occupies the spot old deathwind drop pods would, so it's relatively consistent with the fluff.

Still sucks it's got new Aquilas moulded onto it, this would look sick with Eyes of Horus everywhere.

1/7 down! FotA is the dumbest idea I've ever loved.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

moths posted:

I think this occupies the spot old deathwind drop pods would, so it's relatively consistent with the fluff.

Thankfully, I can just use my old Deathwind Drop pods as proxies for that abomination of a model :getin:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wait they got rid of the deathstorm drop pods? Those were going to be part of my orbital assault list for fucks sake.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo, looks like they're actually still around. I never realized they made it out of Epic.

I am very old.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The Legion Deathstorm Drop Pod Squadron (1-3 Deathstorm Drop Pods, 90 points each) is on page 83 of Liber Astartes and Liber Hereticus. GW did not take it away.

(Was there ever a Deathwind Drop Pod? Seems like Deathwind Missile Launcher was the name of the weapon system inside Deathstorm Drop Pods back when Deathstorm Drop Pods were a 40k unit put out by Forgeworld when the Horus Heresy wasn't its own game yet.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 1, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stephenls posted:

The Legion Deathstorm Drop Pod Squadron (1-3 Deathstorm Drop Pods, 90 points each) is on page 83 of Liber Astartes and Liber Hereticus. GW did not take it away.

(Was there ever a Deathwind Drop Pod? Seems like Deathwind Missile Launcher was the name of the weapon system inside Deathstorm Drop Pods back when Deathstorm Drop Pods were a 40k unit put out by Forgeworld when the Horus Heresy wasn't its own game yet.)

Phew, thank you! Saved me flipping through the book

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

jadebullet posted:

The Saurus Warriors and Temple Guard from the Lizardmen/Seraphon have some pretty draconic looking shields

Those should be able to work in a pinch. They're smallish, but look the part.

As I'm looking through actually building a list, my smooth brain is getting confused on the rites of war and allowing units to be taken as troops.

For example, I'm looking at Covenant of Fire for Salamanders. It says you can take Pyroclasts and Tactical Support units with flamers as Troops choice. Does this mean they can fill the compulsory troops choice in a detachment? Or can you only take units that are explicitly stated to be compulsory troops as such?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Floppychop posted:

Those should be able to work in a pinch. They're smallish, but look the part.

As I'm looking through actually building a list, my smooth brain is getting confused on the rites of war and allowing units to be taken as troops.

For example, I'm looking at Covenant of Fire for Salamanders. It says you can take Pyroclasts and Tactical Support units with flamers as Troops choice. Does this mean they can fill the compulsory troops choice in a detachment? Or can you only take units that are explicitly stated to be compulsory troops as such?

Elsewhere in the book, any time a Rite of War allows you to take a specific type of unit as a non-compulsory Troops choice, it says "non-Compulsory troops choice," so I assume any time it just says Troops it means you can take them as compulsory troops. But the catch is that Rites of War don't automatically give your new Troop options the Line Sub-type -- although, in this case, Covenant of Fire does give Pyroclast Squads and Legion Tactical Support Squads equipped with Dragon's Breath flamers the Line Sub-type. So go wild with those flamethrowers, I guess.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Also remember that Line isn’t like Obsec (unless you’ve got Maloghurst). You need Line to score but anyone can deny scoring.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

Phew, thank you! Saved me flipping through the book

:rolleyes:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Tried coming up with a Deathwing list, leaning on what's in plastic with some weapon upgrades. It's hardly any men on the table. I'd think the rhinos would end up popped and the veterans gunned down in the open. The specific points values and options aren't really dialed in.

Still seems like it would be a fun, tightly scoped army list to convert with lots of black-and-bone mixed armor schemes and each guy could be customized.

pre:
The Unbroken Vow			
HQ			
	Corswain		200
		Paladin of the Ninth Order	
		5 Deathwing Companions	150
		Legion Rhino	35

Troops			
	Legion Veterans		115
		Deathwing	
		5 Additional	90
		Power Swords	50
		Artificer Armor	10
		Legion Rhino	35

Legion Veterans		115
		Deathwing	
		5 Additional	90
		Power Swords	50
		Artificer Armor	10
		Legion Rhino	35

Legion Terminator Cataphractii		175
		5 Additional	150
		Plasma Blaster (2)	20
		Volkite Chargers (8)	16
		Land Raider Spartan	350

Heavy			
	Legion Kratos		300

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, the Kratos is such a space marine tank. Almost no range. It's options are entirely all in your face.

(Derp, meant to edit, hit quote.)

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Holy poo poo, who came up with the point costs on those superheavy tanks in the PDF? 750pts for a Baneblade when the Fellblade is 650 and better in almost every way? 850 points(!!!) for a Shadowsword when the Falchion has a twin-linked version of exactly the same main gun, and more armor, and better sponsons for 650pts?

And here I thought the Glaive had gotten nerfed into uselessness. These tanks should be 550pts at most.

At least the Land Raider Achilles looks solid given that it's now the only tank in the game that doesn't need to care about meltas and chainfists, and its melta sponsons now have twice the firepower because they're now dreadnought melta cannons rather than ordinary multi-meltas. Kinda wish the quad-launcher was an Auto weapon though.

And why is the Phobos a separate entry when it's completely identical to the Proteus carrier? Couldn't they have just had a generic Land Raider entry in the main book that covered both?

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 1, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Aesaar posted:

And why is the Phobos a separate entry when it's completely identical to the Proteus carrier? Couldn't they have just had a generic Land Raider entry in the main book that covered both?

You see, the horizontal dimensions of the model are slightly different, which means it has different firing arcs....

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The .pdf balance is all over the place. Outside of a few gems, its all pretty poor.

Given how they've handled this I wouldn't really hold out much hope for militia

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Finished my Word Bearers test model

Also, my pre-order arrived and wouldn't you know it, but the bookmark I got has a flaw in the red paint on the eye. It almost looks like there was a bubble or something that popped. Contacted support on Wednesday but no response yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Finished my Word Bearers test model

Also, my pre-order arrived and wouldn't you know it, but the bookmark I got has a flaw in the red paint on the eye. It almost looks like there was a bubble or something that popped. Contacted support on Wednesday but no response yet.

That looks fantastic, especially the flames on the tilting shield and the bolter.