Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Had the first names of the Deep and Black Noir been revealed before? Either way both are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What a twist at the end of this weeks episode, it was directed by Sara Boyd!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rushputin posted:

Had the first names of the Deep and Black Noir been revealed before? Either way both are perfect.

Kevin and Earving, respectively.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Billy Butcher just isn't a good guy. That he couldn't tell Hughie that they're basically ingesting poison every time they go on a power trip means he values the power trip more than Hughie as a person. It's arguable how unable Billy is to cope with telling people about his feelings to people he cares about, but the lesson of the story seems to be that he's pretty drat toxic to everyone around him. Frenchie and MM seem to realize this and keep an arm's length, but Hughie doesn't, and he gets sucked into this madness with dosing themselves to make them supes for a day. Which the show already acknowledged was a total hypocrisy on their part, especially Billy since he basically wants to exterminate all supes, but he's an ends justify the means kind of guy. And that is bad news for anyone around him.

Butcher isn’t a good guy but I think his motivations are a bit more complex than just liking the power and sacrificing Hughie for it. There’s not really much point in telling him if they’re already dying and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

PostNouveau posted:

There's a shocking amount of brand loyalty for Kirklands. I've never had any of their booze, so I dunno if it's just stockholm syndrome from Costco members who are stuck with Kirklands products.

Costco brand liquor, like most Costco branded products, is relabeled mainstream branded stuff. Can't speak to the whiskey, but e.g. their bourbon was from a Woodford Reserve distillery (though I don't think they sell it anymore). The Kirkland label means Costco can lower the cost without pissing off the manufacturer, so in most cases it's very decent mid-range liquor at crappy liquor prices.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Rushputin posted:

Deep's back in a therapy session in season 1, Black Noir's in the Niaragua flashback

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rushputin posted:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kevin and Earving, respectively.

i love the goon brain

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm just glad we can put to bed the Black Noir theories that it's a different person in the suit now

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

massive spider posted:

Butcher isn’t a good guy but I think his motivations are a bit more complex than just liking the power and sacrificing Hughie for it. There’s not really much point in telling him if they’re already dying and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

Yeah, Billy probably actually cares about Hughie at this point, but he can't meaningfully act on it. Instead he chooses to do a selfish thing. If Hughie knew he were dying, he might want to have a talk with Starlight about it, just as a closure thing.

My point was that Billy chooses the selfish option, not having an awkward conversation, not confronting the fact that they are doing harmful drugs, because he is unable to interact with people in his life. His reasons, or motivations, for it may be complicated, but the fundamental point is that Billy Butcher plain hurts people near him. These are choices he makes.

Whether the show "pays this off" with some kind of horror story for Hughie, probably not in the sense of his literal death, but both of them have to come to grips with taking something that will, according to Vought, kill them if they don't stop. Right now, Billy isn't helping with this, at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kirkland vodka is straight up Grey Goose I’ve heard.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vintersorg posted:

Kirkland vodka is straight up Grey Goose I’ve heard.

FWIW Grey Goose has always denied this but they're very similar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slangin that yayo

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm predicting Frenchie attempts to make a plastic bag with death gas canister like we saw in the cartoon sequence, the only one with the agility to attempt to put it on is Kimiko, and it goes really badly for everyone.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The ultimate Trump move is that the two people on the phone at the end of the episode team up and immediately betray each other

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wish we could have more Jensen Ackles after this season :sigh:

And before someone says; no I'm not watching some stupid show about vampires or whatever

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That DICK! posted:

i love the goon brain

Watching everything with subtitles turned on goes a long way, otherwise I would miss a ton of little details.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I'm predicting Frenchie attempts to make a plastic bag with death gas canister like we saw in the cartoon sequence, the only one with the agility to attempt to put it on is Kimiko, and it goes really badly for everyone.

Yeah there's no way Soldier Boy falls for the same set up twice, hopefully Frenchie thinks a little bit outside the box.

Golden Bee posted:

The ultimate Trump move is that the two people on the phone at the end of the episode team up and immediately betray each other

That's a given.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Habibi posted:

Costco brand liquor, like most Costco branded products, is relabeled mainstream branded stuff. Can't speak to the whiskey, but e.g. their bourbon was from a Woodford Reserve distillery (though I don't think they sell it anymore). The Kirkland label means Costco can lower the cost without pissing off the manufacturer, so in most cases it's very decent mid-range liquor at crappy liquor prices.

Starlight had the Kirkland Signature Tennessee Whiskey, which is about Jack Daniel’s/George Dickel is terms of quality I’ve heard.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I assumed the canister gas was going to be a shitload pure vaped thc

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

tokin opposition posted:

I assumed the canister gas was going to be a shitload pure vaped thc

absolute king poo poo that Soldierboy recognized the great taste of halothane immediately. hopefully it took the edge of his ptsd in the moment.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

christmas boots posted:

FWIW Grey Goose has always denied this but they're very similar.

back when I was bartending, I did a Christmas party for Costco employees and the regional manager got real hosed up and would not shut up about how Kirkland sources their booze from mid-high tier producers without the brandname. He was a good tipper so I take his statements at face value.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Lace the weed with the knockout drug,bing bang boom there’s ya boy.

Or have a booby trapped lube bottle or something.

I really really loving loved what our silent friend saw in the abandoned gas station and with their arms crossed and dragging the chair.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 1, 2022

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

I wish we could have more Jensen Ackles after this season :sigh:

And before someone says; no I'm not watching some stupid show about vampires or whatever

Shut up nerd

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

back when I was bartending, I did a Christmas party for Costco employees and the regional manager got real hosed up and would not shut up about how Kirkland sources their booze from mid-high tier producers without the brandname. He was a good tipper so I take his statements at face value.

It's since been thoroughly debunked, but for the longest time people swore their vodka was just re-branded Grey Goose. It finally took Costco and Grey Goose to say "no, it's not theirs/ours," and people *still* claim/swear it's re-branded Grey Goose, because at a certain level of quality, vodkas start tasting the goddamned same, and "well, of COURSE they'd say that..."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All vodka tastes the same. Tito's Burnett's grey goose stoli Smirnoff poplov it's all the same poo poo

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I really liked the animal versions of payback. And disliked how soldier boy taunted the black team member by quoting the Jeffersons.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Novichok is the deadliest nerve agent known to man. After the assassination attempt on Sergei Skripal, it killed a dumpster diver who found the discarded bottle that the novichok was in.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Did they redo the Stan Edgar convo with Giancarlo’s voice, or was the actor really good?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gaius Marius posted:

All vodka tastes the same. Tito's Burnett's grey goose stoli Smirnoff poplov it's all the same poo poo

Lol, absolutely not true.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Gaius Marius posted:

Vodka shouldn't have a "flavor" outside of alcohol. Burnett's is absolutely not in the same tier of clarity and smoothness as Tito's let alone Grey Goose.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I loooved the cartoon stage play representation of what happened in Payback and in Nicaragua. It was perhaps more brutal than having the actors do it in a flashback.

I found the reasoning for Kimiko wanting to V back up a little contrived, like maybe buy a gun, but I appreciated that they made the will-they-won't-they between her and Frenchie into something sweeter by having her declare them family.

Episode got a bit schmaltzy for its usual style at parts, but still amazing. I love how Deep and A-train just have their own ongoing B-plots, though I hope those'll eventually lead them into the A-plot again.

Also impressive that the show keeps finding ways to surprise, did not expect to see two old ladies frigging themselves. Well done Kripke.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Chamale posted:

Novichok is the deadliest nerve agent known to man. After the assassination attempt on Sergei Skripal, it killed a dumpster diver who found the discarded bottle that the novichok was in.

Lace the weed with novichok?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There are actually several different versions of Novichok and while, yes, in theory it's the deadliest nerve agent ever unofficially and now semi-officially known to exist, body chemistry and biology is really weird. There's ways things *should* work and then there's the way things *do* work when they're actually used.

That being said, this is a TV show, so it's going to work however the writers and directors want it to work.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 hours!)

They probably have a plan for why they didn't, but I think Soldier Boy's depowering ray would've worked better in Kimiko's case if it was temporary.

You avoid having to contrive a reason that she'd want them back ('to protect my family' isn't convincing when their plan was to get out of violent life after this, and her powers are as likely to invite continued violence as well as being potentially risky even for Frenchie), since she was so against them before. It just seems stupid that she wouldn't have considered the benefits of having powers vs not until now. I suppose this explains the point of the terrible Nina subplot though, to motivate this change back.

Also it wouldn't have required Starlight to be a giant hypocrite by going to get Kimiko's powers back for the same basic reason as Hughie did - to protect someone they love. Why is she so easily convinced by one and not the other? Or more importantly, why is the show? It's okay for Kimiko to want all this power because her intentions are pure, I guess, which is why they've portrayed Hughie's as pathetic even though it's basically the same idea. They're making it all about patriarchy, which is why Kimiko should get them back, why Starlight's access to these powers isn't even questioned, and Hughie and Butcher shouldn't have them because men will use them poorly. I think that's patronising because there's a better political story about power that they could've been telling with this, but they've squashed it and are fracturing the characters in order to stay on this track.

Then they also wouldn't have had to make Starlight just walk into Vought with no reistance because the plot wants to hurry up and get Kimiko's powers back, not rehash Vought infiltration, if the power sapping was temporary.

The whole thing has just been one crappy plot point lurching into the next.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 1, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

roomtone posted:

The whole thing has just been one crappy plot point lurching into the next.

Yeah, it's almost like they based it off a comic book or something.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I understand generally the patriarchal aspect but how does that factor in Victoria?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 hours!)

Aces High posted:

I understand generally the patriarchal aspect but how does that factor in Victoria?

I hadn't thought about her in relation to this yet, because she's pretty separate in her storyline, but my first thought about it is that she was raised as a pawn of Stan Edgar so she represents his will rather than her own and only betrays it in service of Homelander because he is a greater threat. She isn't really popping heads of her own volition, she's been groomed by Edgar to do it and now basically forced to work with Homelander.

The only real humanising moment she's gotten in all of this is when she got the V for her daughter so she can be strong and better protect herself from these powerful men who are dictating her life, which plays into the same theme in obvious ways, too.

I think it hadn't occurred to me to connect up my complaint in the previous post with Victoria because there isn't really any hypocrisy or bad plotting here in the same way. The scene of her injecting her daughter is played a lot more ambiguously than the stuff with Kimiko in this episode, so it's less patronising and self-righteous. Have partiarchy as a theme on the show, of course, it's the lovely quality of how they are going about it with all the starlight/hughie/butcher/kimiko stuff that is making me roll my eyes.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 1, 2022

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Aces High posted:

Edgars was totally acting in a fatherly role to her, they had multiple scenes of it, her following his instructions, him patronising her etc. . She rebelled against her 'father' for her own career/life/child's life but it's not as if they didn't paint that with a really thick brush in the build up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PST posted:

Edgars was totally acting in a fatherly role to her, they had multiple scenes of it, her following his instructions, him patronising her etc. . She rebelled against her 'father' for her own career/life/child's life but it's not as if they didn't paint that with a really thick brush in the build up.

She didn't "rebel," though. When he asked her why, she specifically said she did it for her daughter's sake, and he even acknowledged it again in that scene between himself and Homelander.

It's only recently that she's decided if she can't make a deal with the angels, then she'll deal with the Devil.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I called it on one big detail and totally got it wrong on another.

Soldier Boy being Homelanders father, I said it in a previous post. It makes sense after all, if you are creating the next generation you are going to use the strongest sources you got and SB was definitely that on the father side. Is Stormfront the mother? It wouldn't surprise me. They likely have harvested genetic material from every superhero out there, they could easily get away with such a thing. It makes me wonder what some wacky combinations could be if they mixed totally random supes together.

There is no way that Homelander or Soldier Boy won't be able to exist without trying to kill each other, both have massive egos. Sure, maybe they each yearn for family in their own ways, but it's their version of family they want. No way will they be able to co-exist or want the same thing, even if both are absolute assholes and more alike than not. Ironically, their worse traits are probably why they would bond, while the more positive traits (if any) will have them slugging the other. It's not like they can really care about the other. Only question is will SB live? Or will he die.

As for what I got wrong, Noir. I thought he was a totally different guy, and that isn't the case based on last night. It makes him so much more a better character now that we know more of his backstory and what happened to him proper. Anyone else remember if his head was half caved in when we saw him in the flashback? We saw his burnt face and eye damage, but I don't recall any real other damage. It doesn't appear he has any real strong healing regen abilities. The cartoon parts was quite good.

Did anyone else expect Hughie to kill the guy after he saved Butcher to show how far down the rabbit hole he had gone? As for Butcher, I got no doubt he cares about the team, unfortunately he cares more for his mission and will see it through no matter the cost. The end result is all that matters. Speaking of the team, it's only a matter of time before they take the proper version of V to save themselves from the temp v killing them, that's all but a given based on how many times they used temp V by now.

Kimiko is going to be right back as she used to be? Hasn't Vought tried to reuse V on the other supes who lost their abilities? You think it would be one of the first things they would do. Whatever the case, we finally learned if SB's blast power was only temporary removing abilities or if it was permanent. Minus the V being reused, that is.

If the right wasn't already up in arms before now (they have been) this episode only hammered home what the show is saying about such people.

Also, The Deep will probably have to eat that octopus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Last Call posted:

Also, The Deep will probably have to eat that octopus.

no, sorry - the deep would never reciprocate, that's not the kind of guy he is