Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I legit thought the Russian meltdown was faked so that they could steal American fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mr. unhsib posted:

I legit thought the Russian meltdown was faked so that they could steal American fuel.

Yeah that and the radio transmission to Kelly I thought were part of some scheme to get ahead. I was surprised they didn't show Kelly telling Danielle about it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just wanna say I told ya so anyone who thought this poo poo would idolise musk

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

I wonder if Chernobyl will happen on the Soviet flight and that'll be the kicker this season.

DamnGlitch posted:

looking at the promo art I do think there's gonna be a multi staged issue that fucks each of the missions and requires three way cooperation leading to some kind of breakthru... i think a lot of other shows would go very negative for drama (and I bet the middle of this season is gonna be messy as poo poo) but it's proved to be pretty optimistic so I'm hoping for the best (not getting this from star trek these days for fuckin sure)

lol

What an amazing episode. I was jumping up and down in my seat screaming no no no no as the russian ship slowly rolled over on the astronaut. That was incredibly compelling and so hard to watch. This show gets better the further it goes on and it's a real shame it is on Apple TV and not getting as much attention as it deserves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was thinking it would be a tough choice. Stay strapped in and get smashed, or undo the carabiner and float into deep space and eventually suffocate while hoping everyone gets their poo poo together and looks for you.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I was thinking it would be a tough choice. Stay strapped in and get smashed, or undo the carabiner and float into deep space and eventually suffocate while hoping everyone gets their poo poo together and looks for you.

Yeah I felt bad for that lady, she was pretty much hosed whatever she did.

Hope the soviet guys animosity doesn't grow into outright hostility, had a good lol over them sneering at the defector. Was that the guy who got shot on the moon in s2?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I understand it's good drama but having a multi-episode arc about "if they find out you're gay, you'll never go to space again" followed by "yeah the Russian defector can go on our first Mars mission, no biggie" seems... unlikely

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

I understand it's good drama but having a multi-episode arc about "if they find out you're gay, you'll never go to space again" followed by "yeah the Russian defector can go on our first Mars mission, no biggie" seems... unlikely

I don't see how those two are connected? Also in this hypothetical alternate world where the space race is hotter than it ever was in reality and the USSR never declined/collapsed and are even expanding into south/central america I can absolutely see the US doing that as a giant middle finger to the soviets.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Have they said how long it would take to get to Mars?

It's about 8 months one way with our technology but they obviously have better tech.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I don't see how those two are connected? Also in this hypothetical alternate world where the space race is hotter than it ever was in reality and the USSR never declined/collapsed and are even expanding into south/central america I can absolutely see the US doing that as a giant middle finger to the soviets.

The idea is that if you're hiding a secret (like being gay), the Russians can blackmail you with revealing your secret to NASA in exchange for espionage. When you defect on the moon, you almost definitely don't have the opportunity to relocate your family away from the reach of the KGB, so that's huge blackmail opportunity right there. More specifically, Margot knows personally that the KGB can and will use violence against loved ones for blackmail and would never have allowed the defector into space.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

xerxus posted:

Have they said how long it would take to get to Mars?

It's about 8 months one way with our technology but they obviously have better tech.

Pretty sure either Margo or Danielle dropped that it was a 6 month trip. Hohmann transfer from Earth to Mars is ~8-1/2 months. Lunching from Luna doesn't really get you anything extra since you're still transferring from (high) Earth orbit to Mars orbit, so if they're shaving 2-1/2 months off the travel time they're doing some extra on the Earth-Mars injection and on the Mars orbit injection. Expanse style flip and burn.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The idea is that if you're hiding a secret (like being gay), the Russians can blackmail you with revealing your secret to NASA in exchange for espionage. When you defect on the moon, you almost definitely don't have the opportunity to relocate your family away from the reach of the KGB, so that's huge blackmail opportunity right there. More specifically, Margot knows personally that the KGB can and will use violence against loved ones for blackmail and would never have allowed the defector into space.

The not going to space because you are gay was because they were bigots at the time and had nothing to do with Russian espionage. If NASA found out she was gay then Russia would not be able to blackmail her by threatening to reveal the secret because it wouldn't be a secret. If Russia found out and NASA didn't know they would still send her to space because they wouldn't know. I don't think you thought this one through very well.

Did you not see the scene in this episode where the defector video chatted with his American wife and son?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 1, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm very happy that we are getting so much space stuff this season, the previous really lacked that.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

The not going to space because you are gay was because they were bigots at the time and had nothing to do with Russian espionage. If NASA found out she was gay then Russia would not be able to blackmail her by threatening to reveal the secret because it wouldn't be a secret. If Russia found out and NASA didn't know they would still send her to space because they wouldn't know. I don't think you thought this one through very well.

Did you not see the scene in this episode where the defector video chatted with his American wife and son?

Yes the blackmail works because of the homophobia. You get fired from the job you love if the Russians reveal your secret, so you have incentive to keep spying for them or you get fired. It’s the dictionary definition of blackmail. The whole reason the FBI brought in Dr Venture was to suss out who is a likely target of said blackmail.

Sure the defector has an American wife and kid, but what about parents or grandparents or cousins? “Spy for us or we hurt your family” is also Blackmail 101, so government employees with top secret clearances are screened and bounced for blackmail risks. You can’t even smoke weed today and get a government clearance, because that secret can be used for blackmail.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yes the blackmail works because of the homophobia. You get fired from the job you love if the Russians reveal your secret, so you have incentive to keep spying for them or you get fired. It’s the dictionary definition of blackmail. The whole reason the FBI brought in Dr Venture was to suss out who is a likely target of said blackmail.

Yes, blackmail works because of homophobia. If NASA doesn't know you are gay and the Russians find out they can threaten to reveal it because NASA won't let you go to space if they find out because of homophobia. If NASA already knows you are gay the Russians can't threaten to reveal something to NASA they already know and you are a worthless espionage target anyway because NASA would have already sidelined you because of homophobia. The arc was about NASA being homophobic in accordance with the times and had nothing to do with Russian espionage.

Sure the defector has an American wife and kid, but what about parents or grandparents or cousins? “Spy for us or we hurt your family” is also Blackmail 101, so government employees with top secret clearances are screened and bounced for blackmail risks. You can’t even smoke weed today and get a government clearance, because that secret can be used for blackmail.

Right, and since the show has given us exactly zero reason to think he is in that situation, and even went so far to show his American family being pressured by the soviets with harassment we can assume you've made up a plot hole that doesn't exist in universe.

The two arcs had zero to do with each other. Goons continue to be the worst at watching TV.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Right, and since the show has given us exactly zero reason to think he is in that situation, and even went so far to show his American family being pressured by the soviets with harassment we can assume you've made up a plot hole that doesn't exist in universe.

The potential that he could be in a blackmailable situation would automatically disqualify him from any government work, much less a highly publicly visible one. You're welcome to find me an example of a Cold War Russian defector who got security clearance, but it never, ever happened.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

but have you considered that this show needs to recycle as many characters as possible to avoid introducing new ones for unknown reasons?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was with yer mom back on thuh moon back in 83. Now I'm a rootin rootin protestor. I'll drink a beer to that.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The Democrats are on the side of big oil AGE

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I guess we're not doing spoilers now.

I was honestly amazed they were going to send the private ship back home without going to Mars, and praising the writers for it, then they throw in a twist I honestly didn't see coming, and then that ending...

Wow. What an episode. Back to it's best, imo, by just being pure space drama. There's clearly going to be some sort of way they get everyone to Mars (you don't set up "Russians don't like traitors" and then kill them all, you don't set up Nasa v Helios and then send one of them back). Helios to rendezvous, nab all the fuel, and get everyone there I guess?

Love it, want the next episode ASAP.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't see the tech bro leaving people to die so he could achieve his goals?

Also, the rules for the forum are that you don't have to do spoilers once something has aired. I usually do spoiler tags for a few hours after to give people a chance to realize the episode came out.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I have posting diplomatic immunity

Anyway I hope they nationalize Helios

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bawfuls posted:

but have you considered that this show needs to recycle as many characters as possible to avoid introducing new ones for unknown reasons?

I already said I liked it for dramatic purposes!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bawfuls posted:

now THAT was a fuckin episode hot drat!

Hell yeah it was. Chernobylship is a sexy beast too, got the Soviet space design aesthetic down just right.

CommanderApaul posted:

Pretty sure either Margo or Danielle dropped that it was a 6 month trip. Hohmann transfer from Earth to Mars is ~8-1/2 months. Lunching from Luna doesn't really get you anything extra since you're still transferring from (high) Earth orbit to Mars orbit, so if they're shaving 2-1/2 months off the travel time they're doing some extra on the Earth-Mars injection and on the Mars orbit injection. Expanse style flip and burn.

They're using NERVA engines, not chemical rockets, so there's a lot more oomph available than on a lowest energy Hohmann transfer. Usual NERVA estimates are two to four months. A six month trip is pretty leisurely.

This is the drug Ed's taking, by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandrolone_decanoate

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

Hell yeah it was. Chernobylship is a sexy beast too, got the Soviet space design aesthetic down just right.

They're using NERVA engines, not chemical rockets, so there's a lot more oomph available than on a lowest energy Hohmann transfer. Usual NERVA estimates are two to four months. A six month trip is pretty leisurely.

This is the drug Ed's taking, by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandrolone_decanoate

i was confused why ed was taking HRT, guess the "ed is trans" twist isn't happening /s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm trying to figure out how the episode's writer put both "step foot" and "set foot" into the same scene

Either it's some crazy committee scriptwriting or some kind of next-level verisimilitude

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
basically the only thing bad that happens in space is when the dumb non-US countries be gently caress up's.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is a curious sort of straddling this show has taken, where overall the message is very clear that the survival of the Soviet Union has been very good for world history, but the Soviets are still portrayed largely as a menacing, mysterious, reckless force in space.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the soviet union is only good when we're in timeskip mode. clearly this show is made by *spits* anarkiddies

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018

mcmagic posted:

basically the only thing bad that happens in space is when the dumb non-US countries be gently caress up's.

No?

Most of season one was disaster after disaster for NASA. The main crisis of season two comes from a trigger-happy marine shooting when they shouldn't have. Sure there haven't been any massive NASA engineering catastrophes this season but a huge amount of the conflict comes from NASA administrative mismanagement.

In other news, I really like how they have handled Ed and Danielle's relationship recently. There is definitely tension there and Ed's ignorance in what he thinks is friendly banter definitely pushes what Danielle is willing to tolerate, but they are still very close friends with a a long and deep history. I like that they didn't go the typical route of "two characters who were friends have conflict and are now mortal enemies. I just think it's been really well written.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Calling it now - all three crews end up on one ship heading to Mars, resulting in a huge slap fight about who gets to walk the planet first.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

mcmagic posted:

Numerous US launches have killed their own astronauts so far? What are you talking about?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The potential that he could be in a blackmailable situation would automatically disqualify him from any government work, much less a highly publicly visible one. You're welcome to find me an example of a Cold War Russian defector who got security clearance, but it never, ever happened.

Sure. Grigori Tokaty defected to the UK and later worked for the Information Research Department, a secret department in the UK Foreign Office, one can assume he had at least a low level clearance to do so. Peter Deriabin defected to the US and subsequently worked for the CIA and was even involved in interrogations of later defectors. Jan Sejna defected to the US and then worked in counterintelligence for the CIA and then as a consultant to the DIA. Ken Alibek defected a year after the fall of the USSR and blew open the Soviet bioweapons program and then worked as a consultant for the US government on the same.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What isn't clear to me is how the three launch parties all happened to get going at the exact same time. Was it an agreement between all of them, tacit or explicit? Did they all just zero in on each other's spy-deciphered launch dates, whipping their teams to a new deadline every time they learned of another team's slip or advance?

On what level of officialdom is this a "race"?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume they just all found the best time to launch on the pork chop plot.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Space flight is all about applying relatively low amounts of trust to "fall" out of orbit of one body, and into orbit with another. The ability to do this is expressed as dV (delta-v) - the amount you can adjust your velocity.
You want to travel to Mars when Earth's orbit is at it's closest velocity and just behind Mars, such that the velocity of Earth through the solar system "throws" you at Mars - the point where the smallest velocity change puts you in Mars orbit.

The Earth orbits at 30km per second. That's an enormous velocity, and you have to have it working for you, not against you.
This means anyone trying to go to Mars will conclude the same or extremely similar time to start.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah they mentioned there was a two week ideal launch window.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

They put the defector Cosmonaut on the NASA mission? Hahahaha what could possibly go wrong? Also, Chekhov’s North Korean rocket!

E: Okay, see we aren't doing spoilers after it airs. Cool. ^That was my real-time reaction and also before reading the last 40 posts or so. I also found the idea of the former Cosmonaut getting a security clearance and being allowed to be an astronaut to be jarringly unrealistic. I figured he was going to tearfully sabotage the NASA ship saying he had to because the KGB was going to kill his entire family tree.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Better that than "Ha-haaah, I was double agent the whole time!"