Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

It's American politics in general. It's hardly limited to guns. If you find discussing American politics futile, I'm not sure what this discussion has for you.

Where did they say the discussion is futile? It really seems like y'all just keep twisting new ways to tell Mulva that they should stop posting here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cease to Hope posted:

It's American politics in general. It's hardly limited to guns. If you find discussing American politics futile, I'm not sure what this discussion has for you.

It's not futile, there were a ton of things that could have happened along the way to ensure this situation never happened. It never had to be this way. And at some point things will probably change again. Possible not in my lifetime, but neither this situation nor this country are eternal. Conversely it is what it is, and pretending it isn't isn't actually talking about the issue. Guns in America aren't just "There are a lot of guns and there's a lot of gun violence and we should have less guns to have less gun violence. Maybe no guns!". Because even if you say "Even if we can't just get all the guns in one move we can pass common sense legislation to mitigate the harm they cause." we are right back to "The Supreme Court just struck down legislation like that with loving nothing.". Like it's the most vague and meaningless precedent that is now legally important because it came from 6 random assholes, and it's vagueness will be used to challenge a bunch of other poo poo that will in turn be decided by these assholes.

So other than just arbitrarily not talking about reality at certain point it's going to be a bit of a downer conversation, because we aren't in a good place as a country. Like I said it was less than 2 weeks from "Oh a tiny bit of good news!" to "Open season on a lot of existing laws.". There was an entire week and change of a nice thing happening before we were back to kick to ribs. That is what we are dealing with, and pretending isn't going to make it go away.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
This could very well be my fault, but I'm finding it a bit hard to understand what points are being made here.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have a hard time seeing how arguing that Americans are uniquely lovely in their relationship with guns isn't also an argument for much stricter gun control than the rest of the world.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Xarn posted:

I have a hard time seeing how arguing that Americans are uniquely lovely in their relationship with guns isn't also an argument for much stricter gun control than the rest of the world.

It sounds like Mulva is trying to make the case for something along the lines of "unless you ban all guns, no gun control works because Americans are uniquely horrible"?

But even though I've read and re-read all of the recent posts, the points being made seem very obfuscated. So I could be completely wrong about that. And if I am, Mulva/others, please correct me on that.

But, if nothing else, this is the correct take

Koos Group posted:

I'm finding it a bit hard to understand what points are being made here.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's really very simple to everyone who isn't an American.
Ban Americans from owning guns

Problem solved bing bong!

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's really very simple to everyone who isn't an American.
Ban Americans from owning guns

Problem solved bing bong!

You could probably limit that to white men.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xarn posted:

It is an argument. Now you only have to......convince Americans and their state to do it.

Which is the argument. Maybe keeping it short will make that clearer.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Mulva posted:

It is an argument. Now you only have to......convince Americans and their state to do it.

Which is the argument. Maybe keeping it short will make that clearer.

I'm still confused. If this is your argument, why have you stated multiple times, or at least inferred, that passing gun control legislation doesn't matter because of SCOTUS (bolded parts mine)?

Mulva posted:

Why are you asking me like you didn't do it yourself? If you think it's a bad idea you also could have...not done it. I've said why I did it, it's part of the post you didn't respond to. I think policy itself is irrelevant if it doesn't talk about how it's going to enact change, and that the most important part of that process is the people and systems that would have to enact that change. Their character is the point. On the 12th I was mildly shocked that it seemed like the smallest bit of positive gun control would happen with that boyfriend loophole. I was quickly reminded of why I had the views I had when less than 2 weeks later the Supreme Court just went "lol naw" to some entirely straightforward gun legislation from New York, and did so in a way that can challenge a whole lot of state laws across the entire country.

1 step forward, NINE loving MILLION back. This is the reality of the world that any gun control has to exist in. You can't just say "It would be a social good to do this" like that means anything in a world where your social systems will actively criminalize a miscarriage if you happen to be in the wrong state. But that's my viewpoint, and I never got yours. Which I asked for.

Do you or do you not think that the actual people and systems you will have to deal with to enact change are important when formulating an idea of what to do?

Mulva posted:

It's not futile, there were a ton of things that could have happened along the way to ensure this situation never happened. It never had to be this way. And at some point things will probably change again. Possible not in my lifetime, but neither this situation nor this country are eternal. Conversely it is what it is, and pretending it isn't isn't actually talking about the issue. Guns in America aren't just "There are a lot of guns and there's a lot of gun violence and we should have less guns to have less gun violence. Maybe no guns!". Because even if you say "Even if we can't just get all the guns in one move we can pass common sense legislation to mitigate the harm they cause." we are right back to "The Supreme Court just struck down legislation like that with loving nothing.". Like it's the most vague and meaningless precedent that is now legally important because it came from 6 random assholes, and it's vagueness will be used to challenge a bunch of other poo poo that will in turn be decided by these assholes.

So other than just arbitrarily not talking about reality at certain point it's going to be a bit of a downer conversation, because we aren't in a good place as a country. Like I said it was less than 2 weeks from "Oh a tiny bit of good news!" to "Open season on a lot of existing laws.". There was an entire week and change of a nice thing happening before we were back to kick to ribs. That is what we are dealing with, and pretending isn't going to make it go away.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 1, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalit posted:

I'm still confused. If this is your argument, why have you stated, or at least inferred, multiple times that passing gun control legislation doesn't matter because of SCOTUS (bolded parts mine)?

What's confusing about this? In addition to getting laws passed we have to deal with a corrupted system and unaccountable wizards. These are not contradictory arguments, these are barriers that exist.

Edit- were you actually confused by the rhetorical use of "you only have to"? I think that was meant not so much as a statement that there was only one barrier but a rhetorical statement on the unlikelihood of overcoming that barrier and reaching the next.

Edit- on for further reflection the unaccountable wizards are included in the "and their state".

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 1, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

What's confusing about this? In addition to getting laws passed we have to deal with a corrupted system and unaccountable wizards. These are not contradictory arguments, these are barriers that exist.

Edit- were you actually confused by the rhetorical use of "you only have to"? I think that was meant not so much as a statement that there was only one barrier but a rhetorical statement on the unlikelihood of overcoming that barrier and reaching the next.

While they might not be 100% contradictory things, if that's Mulva's position, then the order these two things occur absolutely matters*. So why bother stating passing laws is the issue in that summarized statement I responded to? Especially when they were handwaving away gun legislation that was passed!

*Just to explicitly spell it out, if SCOTUS is the issue, those laws will just get struck down again. Then, if these "unaccountable wizards" ever change to whatever criteria you (and/or Mulva, if they agree with your response here) deem necessary, those laws will still need to be passed again.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 1, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kalit posted:

I'm still confused. If this is your argument, why have you stated multiple times, or at least inferred, that passing gun control legislation doesn't matter because of SCOTUS (bolded parts mine)?

....and their state didn't cover it for you?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Mulva posted:

....and their state didn't cover it for you?

See my above posted response to Harold Fjord. Why bother bringing up citizens' views (who 100% do not impact SCOTUS rulings) and the legislative/executive branches?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kalit posted:

See my above posted response Harold Fjord. Why bother bringing up citizens' views (who 100% do not impact SCOTUS rulings) and congress/the executive branch?

Because everything matters. It's not a one part problem. People need to support gun control, their representatives need to support gun control, the courts need to support gun control. If any part of that process fails, you get nothing. The people and their representatives can support gun control, but if the courts say "Lol nah" it's done. Now you need their representatives to support gun control and holding the courts to task. The representatives of the people and the courts can support gun control, and if the people don't? They elect representatives that don't and will pack the courts. The people and the courts could support it, but if their representatives don't they can make it impossible to do anything.

e: Why is that throwing you?

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 1, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
And of course we also have federal and state layers. Important because you can align everything up at the state level and then get shut down by scotus. Lots of different places agents of capital can step in and shut it all down.

I guess if we're already just talking about the federal layer is covered.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 1, 2022

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

Tell me you've never opened a history book or stepped outside the US without telling me you've never opened a history book or stepped outside the US.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Serious posts please, gentlemen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok.

I'm reading the Columbine book that I think was recommended in another thread. It's shocking how little changed. Eric was clearly not ok, he's been reported to the cops who knew about his vandalism and theft and hate lists on the www and pipe bombs and did nothing. They got the guns by getting an 18 year old friend get them into a gun show and buying another from some guy. Something that as far as I can tell anyone could still do. The cops stood outside and took three hours to clear the school (though apparently that was the SOP at the time). And then they covered up knowing about Eric and Dylan before the shooting.

I haven't finished the book but as far as I can tell so far, it seems that their concern wasn't the lack of UHC or their 401k. So I think if teenagers everywhere had easy access to guns, there would be a lot more school shootings everywhere, because teenage depression and believing everyone is beneath you is hardly an exceptional thing.

Of course school shootings are statistically not a significant risk, but if it's enough to do active shooter drills, it's enough to address in a more direct way. Other gun murders have different causes obviously but fewer guns everywhere would help regardless.

E: just got to the part where the NRA held its convention in Denver 10 days after the shooting :lmao:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 1, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qsYcXEoIyo

Saw an interesting take that tries to analyze masse shootings through a social and Freudian lens. The TLDR is that while gun control is an important component, it's only half the equation. The other half is the way our society raises children in an atomized society, especially boys. The one assertion which IMO she got wrong is that this violence is a result of bullied children lashing out, but other than that I think there's a lot of interesting stuff for discussion.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bullying is the norm among conservatives, who believe everyone else exists to the detriment of themselves. So while they themselves are likely bullies, they are often learning it at home. Hurt people hurt people and all that jazz

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The thing is, though, that while there are many many factors, none of them are unique to the US except ease of access to firearms. I guess you could argue that the specific combination and ratio of factors is unique to the US but it's just a cop-out. Of course we should also address all the factors that contribute to this, but downplaying the role our gun culture plays is just appeasement.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bel Shazar posted:

You Americans and seeing everything through race.

No children, the sickness is within all of you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Harold Fjord posted:

Bullying is the norm among conservatives, who believe everyone else exists to the detriment of themselves. So while they themselves are likely bullies, they are often learning it at home. Hurt people hurt people and all that jazz

Funny how when you teach boys the only acceptable emotional outlet is anger and violence, that's how they act out when dealing with emotional problems endemic to being a teenager.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The thing is, though, that while there are many many factors, none of them are unique to the US except ease of access to firearms. I guess you could argue that the specific combination and ratio of factors is unique to the US but it's just a cop-out. Of course we should also address all the factors that contribute to this, but downplaying the role our gun culture plays is just appeasement.

The problem is that there are other countries with plenty of access to firearms, and yet America remains basically the only one with a mass shooting problem. Sure, getting rid of the guns would solve the problem purely because it destroys the medium by which the violence is expressed, but the violence remains under the surface and finds other ways to come out. Even if the civilian population were to have those guns taken away, lot of those would-be psychos will simply seek positions of power where they can be violent assholes without fear of reprisal.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Funny how when you teach boys the only acceptable emotional outlet is anger and violence, that's how they act out when dealing with emotional problems endemic to being a teenager.

If you're suggesting that addressing toxic masculinity is a good way to address gun violence (since we are in the gun control thread), it doesn't seem like a feasible/optimal way to go about that to me. Toxic masculinity/bullying is still a massive problem in .... probably every country? Mass shootings are not.

This makes it seem like one issue is much easier to solve than the other to me.....

E:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The problem is that there are other countries with plenty of access to firearms, and yet America remains basically the only one with a mass shooting problem. Sure, getting rid of the guns would solve the problem purely because it destroys the medium by which the violence is expressed, but the violence remains under the surface and finds other ways to come out. Even if the civilian population were to have those guns taken away, lot of those would-be psychos will simply seek positions of power where they can be violent assholes without fear of reprisal.

I suggest you look at https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/4/9850572/gun-control-us-japan-switzerland-uk-canada to look at the difference of our gun control laws vs other countries. Even though Switzerland is one of the less restrictive countries for guns outside of the US, they still have requirements such as (for handguns):

quote:

Private gun ownership generally requires a license, for which an applicant "must be at least 18 years of age, may not have been placed under guardianship, may not give cause for suspicion that he would endanger himself or others with the weapon, and may not have a criminal record with a conviction for a violent crime or of several convictions for nonviolent crimes," according to the Library of Congress's review of Swiss gun laws. The license is valid for six to nine months, and it's usually valid only for one weapon.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 2, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not a matter of easier it's that they are inextricably entangled

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

It's not a matter of easier it's that they are inextricably entangled

But you can [mostly] mitigate one threat even if you haven't solved the other. So why wouldn't you want to focus on the concrete solution for one that's been solved by other countries in the mean time while you try to find the unknown solution to the other one?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 2, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The problem is that there are other countries with plenty of access to firearms

no, there really isn't anything that comes even close to the US. setting aside tiny countries and countries that are an active warzone, the US has 3-4 times the guns per capita as the next closest countries: serbia, canada, uruguay, and finland, which have ~32-40 guns per 100 people. even if literally every gun in those countries is held in private ownership by a different individual household, the US still comes out way ahead, as 44% of american households have a gun.

on top of that, those countries all have fairly restrictive gun laws, limiting what kinds of guns may be owned, and requiring licensing, tracking, and safe storage. they do not have nonsense like legal open carry.

sure, it would also be good to address the underlying causes of crime and suicide. but the US has a unique gun problem on top of that.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

You Americans and seeing everything through race.

No children, the sickness is within all of you

Absolutely, and yet I'm still willing to bet if you disarmed and pacified the white male population most of these problems would go away.

Yes, the problem is not exclusive to white people or to men... but as the source of most of our specific problems I feel like the country would be better off if we were defanged.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalit posted:

I suggest you look at https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/4/9850572/gun-control-us-japan-switzerland-uk-canada to look at the difference of our gun control laws vs other countries. Even though Switzerland is one of the less restrictive countries for guns outside of the US, they still have requirements such as (for handguns):

IMO none of these regulations would have prevented Uvalde. He didnt use a handgun, and if the restrictions were similar for rifles then the kid would have just grabbed his fathers guns and done the same thing.

Which raises the important question of "why isn't any other country having a similar epidemic?" which i think that video does a good job trying to explain.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

the kid would have just grabbed his fathers guns and done the same thing.

he did not live with his father and his grandmother did not own guns. additionally, the gun he killed those people with is illegal is canada, uruguay, and all of europe. canada and the EU ban large magazines, while uruguay bans semi-automatic rifles with a caliber larger than .22LR as well as large magazines. additionally, those countries require you to go and get licensed to buy a gun.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO none of these regulations would have prevented Uvalde. He didnt use a handgun, and if the restrictions were similar for rifles then the kid would have just grabbed his fathers guns and done the same thing.

Which raises the important question of "why isn't any other country having a similar epidemic?" which i think that video does a good job trying to explain.

You still need a license for semiautomatic rifles in Switzerland: https://www.ch.ch/en/safety-and-justice/owning-a-weapon-in-switzerland/ (that's giving the benefit of the doubt these rifles do not count as "large magazines", which I'm unsure of). And in Canada. The UK has banned them completely. The Uvalde shooter bought an AR rifle days after his 18th birthday. So, no, it's far from a fact to claim that it would have still happened

And why are you trying to make an incredibly false claim, such as "would have just grabbed his fathers guns"? His father hadn't even seen him for at least a month before this occurred. The shooter lived with his grandparents, who didn't have any guns in their house.

Stop trying to make wild claims that directly contradict what happened.

E: Beaten, but yea, what Cease to Hope said

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 2, 2022

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Shooting in a mall in Copenhagen today, 3 people killed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-62031793

BBC posted:

We are expecting an update from Copenhagen police in the next hour but before then let's take a look at what we know so far:

Police were called at 17:37 local time to reports of a shooting at Field's mall in south Copenhagen
Several people were killed and others wounded, but police are yet to provide any specific figures
They arrested a 22-year-old man, who they described as an "ethnic Dane"
Police chief Soeren Thomassen said the motive was unclear, but he could not rule out an "act of terrorism"
Eyewitnesses and videos shared on social media show panic among shoppers as gunfire rang out inside the mall
A concert by British singer Harry Styles at a 17,000-capacity venue less than a mile from the scene was cancelled at the last minute due to the shooting

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shooting at Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois, leaves at least 5 dead, 16 wounded, city says

quote:

One parade attendee, Miles Zaremski, said he heard what he believed to be about 20 to 30 gunshots, in two consecutive spurts of gunfire, at about 10:20 a.m. CT, 20 minutes after the start of the parade. The hail of gunfire caused a stampede of people to flee, he said. He told CNN he saw a number of people bloodied and on the ground and described the scene as chaotic.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/04/us/highland-park-illinois-shooting-july-4-parade/index.html

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

On the live feed on CNN reporter said neighboring towns of Highland Park still want to do their 4th of July celebrations.

:wtc:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jiro posted:

On the live feed on CNN reporter said neighboring towns of Highland Park still want to do their 4th of July celebrations.

:wtc:

As the Protagonist of Reality this will not happen to me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What was that about Denmark again?

At least 60 shots were fired, 6 dead and 24-30 injured. I think the main difference with Denmark is that they are going to find out why he was allowed to own a (bolt-action) rifle and fix the issue or loophole so that it doesn't happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The main difference with Denmark is that was the most people killed in a shooting there since the Nazis occupied the country.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

What was that about Denmark again?

At least 60 shots were fired, 6 dead and 24-30 injured. I think the main difference with Denmark is that they are going to find out why he was allowed to own a (bolt-action) rifle and fix the issue or loophole so that it doesn't happen.

I did a quick lookup on Denmark gun laws in Wikipedia. Apparently it's not the hardest thing in the world to legally own a bolt action rifle there. I mean it's light-years more difficult than in the US but that's not saying much. Semi auto rifles on the other hand, that's nearly impossible and handguns are difficult but not impossible to legally own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

I did a quick lookup on Denmark gun laws in Wikipedia. Apparently it's not the hardest thing in the world to legally own a bolt action rifle there. I mean it's light-years more difficult than in the US but that's not saying much. Semi auto rifles on the other hand, that's nearly impossible and handguns are difficult but not impossible to legally own.

Yes, I didn't write it in the post but there were early rumors that he's had some violent mental breakdowns which should've prevented him from having a gun. But it's very early on so there's no clear picture wtf happened.