Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dksalfo saved the ice mayhem incentive with a 10k donation, gently caress yessss thanks whoever that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
That... appears to have been a 10k solo donation. :stonk:

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donation/894360

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh god i did not realize this was dungeon entrance randomizer as well lmao this gonna be great

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This should be a fun mess to watch.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You're a fun mess to watch

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

You're a fun mess to watch

I wish.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You are a FOOL

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You are a FOOL.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

You are a FOOL

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This is another case where the randomizer is just completely unintelligible unless you’re someone who plays that rando or have an excellent memory for Ocarina of Time. It’s sufficiently comfy vibes that it’s worth having on for background noise, at least.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

wyrm

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kestral posted:

This is another case where the randomizer is just completely unintelligible unless you’re someone who plays that rando or have an excellent memory for Ocarina of Time. It’s sufficiently comfy vibes that it’s worth having on for background noise, at least.

spike is doing a better job explaining this than past gdq randomizers but yeah i imagine it is still real hard to follow if you've not really seen one before

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This run is entertaining but I hate randomizers. I'm happy that they exist for people who like them but I hate randomized speedruns because WR is completely determined by RNG and it sucks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elephant Ambush posted:

This run is entertaining but I hate randomizers. I'm happy that they exist for people who like them but I hate randomized speedruns because WR is completely determined by RNG and it sucks

close to nobody, including speedrunners, plays randomizers because they really care about world records. they either do them as races, as co-op runs or just for fun, for exactly the reason you pointed out.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah WR for randomizers is more trivia and less something people are actually trying to progress on -- that's why the scene is based more around races.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What I want to know is what items we're really looking for, starting backwards.

Like, I can wrap my mind around 'we need light arrows and the 7 crystals to beat gannon' and then 'we'll need hookshot, hoverboots, and bombs to get the 7 crystals'

And then you kind of understand that they're checking all these chests looking for a certain number of items, or items that enable further checks around the game world.

However when nobody lays out what exactly we need it just feels like randomly wandering around and it's really hard to follow.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Agent355 posted:

What I want to know is what items we're really looking for, starting backwards.

Like, I can wrap my mind around 'we need light arrows and the 7 crystals to beat gannon' and then 'we'll need hookshot, hoverboots, and bombs to get the 7 crystals'

And then you kind of understand that they're checking all these chests looking for a certain number of items, or items that enable further checks around the game world.

However when nobody lays out what exactly we need it just feels like randomly wandering around and it's really hard to follow.

This! Actually, wow, if there were a visualization of this, it would become so much more accessible. Flowcharts sometimes can be used for good!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
OoT Rando is like doing a neat sudoku except onxe you determine where a 4 goes you need to spend 17 minutes walking there to fill it in.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Spike kinda zoomed over it at the start but Bow, Light Arrows, and Magic (like, as a concept) are the hard requirements for beating Gannon. And then they need to clear whichever 5 dungeons have Medallions to get to Gannon.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
With shuffled dungeon entrances, the requirements are hard to specify: for example, Deku Tree can be completed with no items and Dodongo's Cavern can be completed with just a bomb bag but only if you can get into them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

This! Actually, wow, if there were a visualization of this, it would become so much more accessible. Flowcharts sometimes can be used for good!

OOTR is actually graph based logic so theres a giant loving flowchart for this

that gets even worse when the more esoteric stuff like skullsanity, cowsanity, songsanity gets turned on

also the logic tends to get really messy if something important is in spirit temple or gerudo training grounds due to a high variance of items needed to get items due to the game not wanting to let you softlock on bad key usage

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

you are a FOOL

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Are these two a couple?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Married.

Which is weird because I always thought spike was gay? I don't know where I got that impression.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is this the first husband and wife team speedrun at a GDQ? Successfully attracting a mate is surely the speedrunner’s greatest challenge.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Married.

Which is weird because I always thought spike was gay? I don't know where I got that impression.

His love of Disney musical songs and strong theatre kid energy?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
if you're interested in watching and learning ZOOTR, the 2 primary places to watch matchups on Twitch would be on ZeldaSpeedRuns who has 2 weekly races (the NA Weekly which is about 6 PM Eastern on Saturdays and the EU Weekly which is at the moment at 9 AM Eastern Sunday). They also run Freaky Friday which is some special themed weird settings and DDR showcases which is not dancing themed, but is the mode where you can do kind of anything as long as you can get until a dungeon door in a non glitched way. They also to host main tourney stuff but that just ended.

Theres also TheSilverGauntlets who have a lot more lower key stuff like Challenge Cup or League. Right now they're focused on Triforce Blitz (which us a logic puzzle of a 3 piece triforce hunt that runners get 2 hours to beat) and Mixed Pools (which is a bunch of shuffled entrance pools)

I am also contractually obligated to mention ZSR has other Zelda stuff but after GDQ ends the LTTPR crosskeys tourney is starting.l so theres that if you like Crosskeys because it's the best LTTPR mode.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
nut stick nut nut stick

the two nut strategy

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I am also contractually obligated to mention ZSR has other Zelda stuff but after GDQ ends the LTTPR crosskeys tourney is starting.l so theres that if you like Crosskeys because it's the best LTTPR mode.
I am looking forward to bombing out of the crosskeys tournament again because racing crosskeys is pain

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Incoherence posted:

I am looking forward to bombing out of the crosskeys tournament again because racing crosskeys is pain

rando is pain

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got to say, randomising the music as well is a bad choice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Got to say, randomising the music as well is a bad choice.

it's great in a standard oot randomizer stream, less great for gdq

also i really really want a lttp randomizer w/ enemizer at gdq some time, enemizer is absolutely loving hilarious

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think LTTP is the better randomizer for people who don't really know whats going on. It's just much cleaner and straight ahead compared to OoT.

Just make somebody do a crosskey or potsanity or something in LTTP instead of this.

This is fun too, it just doesn't quite hit the same

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The real problem is the gdq audience needs like, a little bit of Rando sprinkled into the blunt to get the party going but all the Rando players have such a tolerance they need to slam face first into mountains of bullshit on the table like Scarface just to feel anything.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Crosskeys as a marathon run seems kinda bad because it's entrance randomizer which makes the whole thing fairly incomprehensible. They've done a couple other fancy settings in the past but you want it to at least vaguely resemble the original game. So in this case, it's just dungeon ER so you at least can understand most of it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that's fair. Maybe just run a more simple setting assuming most of the audience is only passingly familiar with a given randomizer.

I don't think these settings in OoT are crazy beyond entrance randomizer, which is already tough, but OoT is just hard to follow anyway.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SeXReX posted:

The real problem is the gdq audience needs like, a little bit of Rando sprinkled into the blunt to get the party going but all the Rando players have such a tolerance they need to slam face first into mountains of bullshit on the table like Scarface just to feel anything.

my friend have you heard of RSL

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I love randomizer runs normally but I haven't played OoT and I tuned off for a few hours because after an hour I still had no idea what was going on. Best of luck though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Have they checked to make sure light arrows aren't behind 50 skulltulas or somethign dumb like that.