Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rageaholic posted:

My UHD steelbook of Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow: All You Need Is Kill shipped from Best Buy :getin:

Where the gently caress do I put this on my shelf/in my binder? With the Ls? The Es? I've been calling the movie Edge of Tomorrow for years but this new release restores the original title.

I’ll probably reshuffling to L’s, although mine hasn’t shipped. Which is weird because my Everything, Everywhere 4K is showing up tomorrow apparently.

Mad Men series collection has the worst goddamn packaging. You HAVE to touch the discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

what’s “F for Fake”?

I’ve only seen a film called “? About Fakes”

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I put in the new Arrow True Romance 4K just to check out the visuals for a minute and I accidentally watched the whole movie (it's never looked better)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Happy Hippo posted:

I put in the new Arrow True Romance 4K just to check out the visuals for a minute and I accidentally watched the whole movie (it's never looked better)

Lol I've done that so many times. Best time was when I first got the Bluray for The Sound of Music, intending to just check out the new restoration (I had previously watched it on VHS in Japan when the English teacher screened it for class). I was living at home at the time since I had just come back from living in Japan, and my mom walks in and is surprised I'm watching it. She tells me that she watched it on a school field trip when she was a little girl in Hong Kong and proceeds to sit down and join me. A little while later, my dad walks in and sees that we're watching it and kinda berates the movie as being old. He then proceeds to sit down and watch it.

We ended up watching the entire movie as a family. :unsmith:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Took some effort to find a copy with a slip.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Hasturtium posted:

Mac and Me

Mac and Me is like uncomfortably well done for how terrible it is. Like, you'd think the budget would have been gone early in and it just keeps hitting with too-legit-for-the-film special effects and dance sequences and poo poo.. idk. it's surprisingly watchable and i hate that about it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the aliens clearly took a lot of effort to realize on screen, they just made some fundamentally bad decisions.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My Ultra Q set has the four discs on two spindles. They’re so hard to remove that I feel like I’m going to snap the disc in half every time. I’m guessing Ultraman and UltraSeven are going to be the same.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

My Ultra Q set has the four discs on two spindles. They’re so hard to remove that I feel like I’m going to snap the disc in half every time. I’m guessing Ultraman and UltraSeven are going to be the same.

The steelbook release, right? Unfortunately it’s the same on the other steelbooks as well. I managed to get Ultraman and Return of Ultraman in the bigger plastic case releases, but Ultra Q and UltraSeven are an absolute bear to get the discs out.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sniep posted:

Mac and Me is like uncomfortably well done for how terrible it is. Like, you'd think the budget would have been gone early in and it just keeps hitting with too-legit-for-the-film special effects and dance sequences and poo poo.. idk. it's surprisingly watchable and i hate that about it

It was scored by Alan Silvestri, and Nick McLean, cinematographer for a dozen ‘80s comedies, shot it pretty well considering what’s happening onscreen. The most exasperating thing about Mac and Me is how much it looks and sounds like a real movie of the time despite it being awe-inspiringly cynical and stupid. That outta nowhere McDonald’s musical number is a moment for the ages.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1542873200564002819

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Oof. What a time for me to be saving money. Enjoy, goons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Forget this Criterion crap, the big news of the day is that I Know What You Did Last Summer is getting a UHD release in time for October.

25th Anniversary of the theatrical run, god help me

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

Forget this Criterion crap, the big news of the day is that I Know What You Did Last Summer is getting a UHD release in time for October.

25th Anniversary of the theatrical run, god help me

I meant to post about that last night after the discussion of upcoming Halloween UHDs. Never seen it but I was 9 when it came out so I was always “what’s that about” during the commercials. Saw a couple scenes. I hear it’s not the best, but also a lot better than most slashers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I meant to post about that last night after the discussion of upcoming Halloween UHDs. Never seen it but I was 9 when it came out so I was always “what’s that about” during the commercials. Saw a couple scenes. I hear it’s not the best, but also a lot better than most slashers.

I'm a few years older than you so I was old enough to see it when it came out and I definitely have a lot of nostalgia for it, I wouldn't claim to be able to judge it objectively.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The steelbook release, right? Unfortunately it’s the same on the other steelbooks as well. I managed to get Ultraman and Return of Ultraman in the bigger plastic case releases, but Ultra Q and UltraSeven are an absolute bear to get the discs out.

Yeah, all three are the steelbooks. It’s unfortunate that they are otherwise gorgeous cases but fall down on the most important thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got the Blu-Ray of Eraserhead. That's one that I used to own years ago but ended up selling when I was getting rid of my Blu-Ray collection. I have a collection again, though, and already have Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me as far as Lynch movies go but not Eraserhead.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My first year film student collections grows, the scarface uhd was like 12 bucks on amazon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Shrek of the Mutilated this month from VinSyn

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shiroc posted:

Yeah, all three are the steelbooks. It’s unfortunate that they are otherwise gorgeous cases but fall down on the most important thing.

I don’t know why those in particular are so tough to get discs out of either, none of the other steelbooks I have are like that. It’s infuriating.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vinegar Syndrome's new releases announced:

Righting Wrongs
Shriek of the Mutilated
Two Undercover Angels / Kiss Me Monster
Cyber Vengeance
Rollerbabies / Mount of Venus

Partner labels:

Don't Let the Angels Fall
Heartbreakers
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
Jack Be Nimble
Lux Aeterna
The Oregonian
Ravage
Raw Nerve
Sampo
Satan's Children
Tremble All You Want
Viktoria
We're All Going to the World's Fair

Absolutely ordering We're All Going to the World's Fair and Lux Aeterna

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Shrek of the Mutilated

Lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's basically just Diet Scream.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar are quite winsome, or so I'm told. May have had a Buffy poster.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I Know What You Did Last Summer is getting a UHD release in time for October.
I wish someone had told them that it’s a 4th of July movie

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar are quite winsome, or so I'm told. May have had a Buffy poster.
They don't hold a candle to the real heartthrob of that movie

Johnny Galecki

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The early 00s were such a Wild West for terrible DVD packaging. The Warner keep cases, the Simpsons heads, the Northern Exposure puffy jackets, etc.

Star Trek in particular kept doing godawful poo poo. The Enterprise and TOS releases had enormous plastic cases that couldn’t fit right on a shelf and the former all looked identical regardless of season. Voyager and DS9 insisted on those thin stacked jewel cases that were held together with literal tape on the spine and the former came in gaudy neon colors. Even TNG, one of the first TV seasons on dvd that I can remember, came in big storybook-esque cardboard cases that hosed up easy and never closed right.

Warner and 20th century fox continued with weird packages even after 2010s.

This is the xmen collection package i purchased in 2012, shortly before stopping purchasing marvel nonsense in physical

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I loved all those Evil Dead releases with the Necronomicon packaging. I mean, that poo poo's all got latex rot by now but back when they first came out they were awesome. I kind of regret selling my Evil Dead DVD, I had it kept nicely in storage and it was still in like new condition.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

King Vidiot posted:

I loved all those Evil Dead releases with the Necronomicon packaging. I mean, that poo poo's all got latex rot by now but back when they first came out they were awesome. I kind of regret selling my Evil Dead DVD, I had it kept nicely in storage and it was still in like new condition.

How's this for awkward packaging?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I firmly stand by having all physical releases of movies with cool jackets covered in the aforementioned cool jackets. Release Death Proof in an Icy Hot jacket, release Drive with a scorpion jacket, release Top Gun with a bomber jacket, release Death Game (or Kill Bill) in a yellow jumpsuit top/yellow jacket.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

I will never part with my Necronomicon editions. I will also never take them out of the bags I had to store them in to stop the flakes from getting everywhere.

Good thing I also have Evil Dead on VHS and Blu-ray and Evil Dead 2 on VHS, Blu-ray, 4K and another DVD (had to talk myself out of a laserdisc a few months ago because I couldn't justify spending $60 on a format I can't even play)

Also, unrelated, but my VS order has finally shipped!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Expect No Mercy was so drat great :allears:

Are TC 2000, Talons of The Eagle, and Expect No Mercy the only Billy Blanks/Jalal Mehri collabs? I’ve seen Tiger Claws, but with only Jalal showing up it just wasn’t the same.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SlowBloke posted:

Warner and 20th century fox continued with weird packages even after 2010s.

This is the xmen collection package i purchased in 2012, shortly before stopping purchasing marvel nonsense in physical

My favorite thing about this is the nice compact case the movies actually go in next to the dumb pile of garbage.

King Vidiot posted:

I firmly stand by having all physical releases of movies with cool jackets covered in the aforementioned cool jackets. Release Death Proof in an Icy Hot jacket, release Drive with a scorpion jacket, release Top Gun with a bomber jacket, release Death Game (or Kill Bill) in a yellow jumpsuit top/yellow jacket.

Cruising in a BDSM harness.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Crash comes in a leg and you have to pull the disc out from the wound.

Same mold they’ll use for the Videodrome edition.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Videodrome comes on a disc that goes inside a case that looks like a Betamax tape, that goes inside the gaping wound of a full size fake James Woods. It’s a real conversation piece when you have people over. Mostly why you would want to be reminded that James Woods exists.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Videodrome comes on a disc that goes inside a case that looks like a Betamax tape, that goes inside the gaping wound of a full size fake James Woods. It’s a real conversation piece when you have people over. Mostly why you would want to be reminded that James Woods exists.

Because Videodrome exists, it's a reel Catch-22

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
walmart sent out all the preorders for Everything Everywhere All At Once today, 3 days early. I saw it recently so I'm going to hold off on a rewatch but I'm sure reviews will pop up soon. The alt cover is on the slipcase and the case itself though, no standard cover mix

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the last Red Shoes 4k at the only Barnes and Noble left in the city of Seattle. They also had Citizen Kane so I canceled the Amazon order.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My Severin order arrived! They sent me the wrong stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gripweed posted:

My Severin order arrived! They sent me the wrong stuff!

Haha on the plus side they may let you keep it! Bonus :cool: