Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"I deserve this"

You are a FOOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Agent355 posted:

Have they checked to make sure light arrows aren't behind 50 skulltulas or somethign dumb like that.

Their settings cut off actual Skulltula rewards at 20 and Spike got that and found nothing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SeXReX posted:

The real problem is the gdq audience needs like, a little bit of Rando sprinkled into the blunt to get the party going but all the Rando players have such a tolerance they need to slam face first into mountains of bullshit on the table like Scarface just to feel anything.

Its true

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"I deserve this."

"NO! NOOOOO!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Have they checked to make sure light arrows aren't behind 50 skulltulas or somethign dumb like that.

For the GDQ seed only 10 and 20 skulls are on for items.

The usual play for ZOOTR in a seed where trials are off are to open up Ganon's Castle and then rush to his fight because he'll tell yu ou what region they're in, and you can then go find them.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is that a mod thing? I don't remember Ganon straight up telling you how to fight him in the normal game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Flesnolk posted:

Is that a mod thing? I don't remember Ganon straight up telling you how to fight him in the normal game

Yeah, they modded Ganon to give a hint for it (along with making so you can read all the gossip stones without the mask of truth) which comprise the games hint system

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flesnolk posted:

It is yeah, since the lights are in his tower normally. I think on the way up the stairs?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SeXReX posted:

The real problem is the gdq audience needs like, a little bit of Rando sprinkled into the blunt to get the party going but all the Rando players have such a tolerance they need to slam face first into mountains of bullshit on the table like Scarface just to feel anything.

The evolution randomizer was super good because it's ultimately just a stat randomizer but still just random enough to make the strategy change.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

It is yeah, since the lights are in his tower normally. I think on the way up the stairs?

nah light arrows are given to you in the temple of time when you get the shadow and spirit medallions

the chest along the way is the boss key to Ganons room

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The evolution randomizer was super good because it's ultimately just a stat randomizer but still just random enough to make the strategy change.

Yeah that was a good pokemon run to watch and the couch had good chemistry.

Randomizers need to be comprehensible enough that viewers can get excited when a good thing happens/is found, because thats the real appeal.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Pokemon Rando also has the benefit that, afaik, people don't generally use settings that hide badges on the invisible items or behind generic trainers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Agent355 posted:

Yeah that was a good pokemon run to watch and the couch had good chemistry.

Randomizers need to be comprehensible enough that viewers can get excited when a good thing happens/is found, because thats the real appeal.

The evo run was my favorite RPG/strategy focused run in a long time because 4 people just cooperatively figuring out what the best thing to do next is is awesome. I dunno if there are other similarly cooperative runs from the past but I'd love to see more like that

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agent355 posted:

What I want to know is what items we're really looking for, starting backwards.

Like, I can wrap my mind around 'we need light arrows and the 7 crystals to beat gannon' and then 'we'll need hookshot, hoverboots, and bombs to get the 7 crystals'

And then you kind of understand that they're checking all these chests looking for a certain number of items, or items that enable further checks around the game world.

However when nobody lays out what exactly we need it just feels like randomly wandering around and it's really hard to follow.

Yeah, that's the key to randomizers and some people are a lot better at conveying it than others. Also depends on the game. I've always found OoT a bit more difficult to parse in that respect than the 2D zelda randomizers.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SeXReX posted:

Pokemon Rando also has the benefit that, afaik, people don't generally use settings that hide badges on the invisible items or behind generic trainers.

Let me tell you about Pokemon Crystal: Full Item Randomizer.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alternate way to enjoy a good randomizer:

Crowd Control

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, that's the key to randomizers and some people are a lot better at conveying it than others. Also depends on the game. I've always found OoT a bit more difficult to parse in that respect than the 2D zelda randomizers.

OOT is probably harder to parse unless you really have a guide to logic because theres some really obscure antisoftlock logic that sometimes gets triggered and screws hints up (I'm looking at you paradox letter)

It does have a lot nicer movement tech though and the ability to do a lot more sequence breaks

LTTP probably has easier to piece together logic but like you're not going to really do any major sequence breaks in it in most normal settings.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Agent355 posted:

What I want to know is what items we're really looking for, starting backwards.

Like, I can wrap my mind around 'we need light arrows and the 7 crystals to beat gannon' and then 'we'll need hookshot, hoverboots, and bombs to get the 7 crystals'

And then you kind of understand that they're checking all these chests looking for a certain number of items, or items that enable further checks around the game world.

However when nobody lays out what exactly we need it just feels like randomly wandering around and it's really hard to follow.

I think this could be a really cool gdq run category, even for us non OoT players, with a comprehensive overlay of game stuff

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think this could be a really cool gdq run category, even for us non OoT players, with a comprehensive overlay of game stuff

Nukes had been basically running like a biweekly intro to OOT rando stuff on the GDQ channel for the last few months

They might still be archived. Or like pop into a weekly, theres nothing more than ZOOTR race chat does is love other than tired memes is trying to figure out the logic chain and constructing elaborate worst case scenarios.

Like last week where there was the first logical hookshot on 50 skulltulas but you could sequence break the second and it turned out that the first 50 skull one really wasnt important anyway

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Yeah, this honestly feels like a UI challenge at this point. If there were some way to see what was left to check, what the critical path items were, what leads into them, etc., that would make this so much more accessible. There's no way you could do it directly through Twitch, but maybe an offsite thing?

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
TAS time!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Time for the best part of every GDQ.

The part where the robot shows up everyone in the room.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kestral posted:

Yeah, this honestly feels like a UI challenge at this point. If there were some way to see what was left to check, what the critical path items were, what leads into them, etc., that would make this so much more accessible. There's no way you could do it directly through Twitch, but maybe an offsite thing?
Part of the appeal of playing a randomizer like this is that there are often several paths to reach a given area or check: see the hookshot/gold scale thing Nukes did (which is not expected by the placement logic but was useful here). There are also ~250 checks in the game in these settings, with probably a hundred different sets of requirements; communicating that is hard enough even if you know what you're looking at.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

the race channels all have a bot set up to do this stuff, mostly powered by a google spreadsheet that the people on comms and tracking fill out as the race goes on

like you type in !path and the bot spits out all of the pathed locations + what items were found there + maybe how the path resolves

the onlyy thing that really doesnt get touched would be where to check, but a lot of comms are runners who have a mental checklist and will bring up whatever's left

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
kliouyfgvbhnju

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 2, 2022

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This is really long for a TAS, I hope the commentary is good

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's off to a good start.

using the long cutscene to mod in a little video explaining some basic techniques is cute and a really good idea.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm a little disappointed it's pre-recorded. Where's the fun if there's no chance of things going hilariously wrong?

Edit: Ok, a TAS portal run is definitely something.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 2, 2022

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Incoherence posted:

Part of the appeal of playing a randomizer like this is that there are often several paths to reach a given area or check: see the hookshot/gold scale thing Nukes did (which is not expected by the placement logic but was useful here). There are also ~250 checks in the game in these settings, with probably a hundred different sets of requirements; communicating that is hard enough even if you know what you're looking at.

yeah for example like the seed I gave before with last week's EU weekly, like logically the game expected you to collect 50 skulltulas with no hookshot, so you could do the following things logically and not get softlocked

turn in 50 skulls get a hookshot

use the hookshot to get into water temple

get a wallet from water temple

go buy blue fire from the kakariko potion shop

use the blue fire to unfreeze king zora as an adult and receive your longshot

use the longshot to cross the broken bridge in gerudo valley to get to gerudo training ground

get your rutos letter from the back half of GTG

return to child and turn in the letter to King Zora to open up zora's fountain

return adult and go to ice cavern in zora's fountain

get your hover boots from ice cavern

use thje hover boots beat shadow temple to collect the forest medallion and trigger the prelude of light check in temple of time and get epona's song

or you could just like hop past King Zora like a champ or reverse wasteland and break the stupid blue first paradox letter loop and get the much easier hookshot (that wasnt hard required to beat the game)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

my dreadful confession... i think tas runs are boring.....

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tas runs should be designed to be visually interesting, so not all games really support them and I'm not sure speedrunners really know what makes tas runs interesting to non-speedrunners.

So far this one is good though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I know things are off schedule but you don't do tasbot right after spike hyped up the croud so much

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

yeah for example like the seed I gave before with last week's EU weekly, like logically the game expected you to collect 50 skulltulas with no hookshot, so you could do the following things logically and not get softlocked

Hmm. What I'm getting from that is, this is a competition that is fated to be pretty much impenetrable to anyone who isn't part of its community. I'm not too bothered by this, GDQs are by definition celebrations of niche video game communities. I feel certain there's a better way to present this information, though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

Hmm. What I'm getting from that is, this is a competition that is fated to be pretty much impenetrable to anyone who isn't part of its community. I'm not too bothered by this, GDQs are by definition celebrations of niche video game communities. I feel certain there's a better way to present this information, though.

Probably, but it kind of exists in the space where GDQ isn't going to probably be the best place for it and if you want more info you should look at the smaller communities.

Mostly because of the chat volume tbh.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
TASBOT is fun when it's clowning on a game in funny ways or breaking a really well known game like Mario. i think the more a TAS resembles the human run the worse, and this one has a lot of time that looks human

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The little "donation received" icons on the bottom of the screen are interesting from a psychology perspective, since you get to watch the effect of the donation reader in real time. It's really noticeable how much faster the donations come in when someone is actively goading chat, a phenomenon that absolutely baffles me. I'd like to know more about these people who doesn't have a set amount they intend to donate, who just chucks in another $5 every time a person on the mic tells them how cute and good Twitch chat is.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im actually enjoying this run for reminding me that portal 2 exists and is excellent

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

People are like, obscenely easy to manipulate. It's (one of many reasons) why capitalism is so bad. At least here it's for a good reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AARD VARKMAN posted:

TASBOT is fun when it's clowning on a game in funny ways or breaking a really well known game like Mario. i think the more a TAS resembles the human run the worse, and this one has a lot of time that looks human

I would not say really any of this run looks human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I do think this run has too much waiting in an elevator to be interesting.

It's 50% incomprehensible screen flashing and 50% waiting in an elevator.

I still like TAS in general because they're kinda nuts, but I feel like they coulda picked a better one to show off. I hope the OoT tas is better if they hit it.