Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think a few might show up in Stormcast lists, either being powered out with Krondys or as something to fill put some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Agreed. I mean, The Burning Head is only 20 points and it's a better Arcane Bolt so why not use it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s always a good idea to have unbinds - endless spells aren’t the only magic you can use them on, and magic will not stop being powerful.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished 5 more crossbow ghosts, the five on the right. This will probably be it for Age of Sigmar a bit, I've got a huge 40k backlog to get back to.

This puts me at over 4,000 points of painted ghosts.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Chainclaw posted:

Finished 5 more crossbow ghosts, the five on the right. This will probably be it for Age of Sigmar a bit, I've got a huge 40k backlog to get back to.

This puts me at over 4,000 points of painted ghosts.

These look really great!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So my GHB 2022 arrived today and something I think is important that no one has mentioned: I can't find any language that says Coalition Battleline doesn't count this time around.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Mors Rattus posted:

So my GHB 2022 arrived today and something I think is important that no one has mentioned: I can't find any language that says Coalition Battleline doesn't count this time around.

Oh hell yes that was part of the last ghb I hated.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Floppychop posted:

Picked up my Skaven tome today and started flipping through it.

They really don't want you to overcharge the Skryre stuff. The risk to reward is way out of whack. Like the ratling gun has a ~72% chance of dying.

Is there any chance you could expand on the Skaven tome/AoS experience? I love the faction, and Skryre especially, from Total Warhammer...wondering about them in AoS and how they are to play, model etc? That new set with the rat ogres in dreadnought gear looked rad as hell and I'm tempted by it.

Not really picked up actually playing any tabletop stuff since COVID, just got back into the hobby side, but I am curious how Skaven do generally etc

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Page 10, under "Allied units", second sentence. "Allied units do not count towards the number of Battleline units in your army".

Sorry. :(

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
coalition units are famously not allies!!!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Coalition units and Allied units aren’t the same, gonna need a faq.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The Coalition rules about not being counted toward your required battleline are in the tomes and FAQs for factions and did not change.

Allies and Coalition do retain the battleline role even if it doesn’t count toward your 3 required, which means that they do become Galletian Vets if under 5 wounds.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

stackofflapjacks posted:

Is there any chance you could expand on the Skaven tome/AoS experience? I love the faction, and Skryre especially, from Total Warhammer...wondering about them in AoS and how they are to play, model etc? That new set with the rat ogres in dreadnought gear looked rad as hell and I'm tempted by it.

Not really picked up actually playing any tabletop stuff since COVID, just got back into the hobby side, but I am curious how Skaven do generally etc

You are in luck as I had my first game with the new book this weekend and I am pretty excited about it. The new book really opens up the faction with so many new choices for battle line and there are a lot of small quality of life changes that I enjoyed coming from the last book. Now this was a friendly game to learn the new book (and re-learn AOS) so I took a broad list to try new stuff and we pulled our punches to extend the game. A few good shots from the match. I cannot believe how much of this army is getting closed to fully painted.

I took the Verminlord Warpseer out for the first time and the Bravery buff was pretty handy, and Warp Gale was gold at keeping the dragon at bay. Giving him Flaming Weapon is going to be required if I want them to punch with any kind of weight, and they were a bit more brittle than I was expecting. The Stormvermin with their new bodyguard rule did well, keeping a few wounds off the Verminlord and the Clawlord, and they still hit well.

I took a small squad of Stormfiends (the rat ogres in Dreadnought gear) with my Arch-lock in tow for More-More-More Warp Power. Another first time on the table for me, I was surprised how little the Ratling gun rat did vs how insanely well the Windlauncher did. The gas fiend killed several Stormcast a turn while the cannon felt a bit weak. A tournament list will still run 6, but I was happy what this little hit squad did, especially if I can get them to pop out of a Gnawhole later on in the fight. I'm also pretty pleased with my Arch-lock conversion. Not the first person to do it, but I really like how this rat came together.

I took 2 groups of 40 Clan Rats as my main screen. Honestly, I may just go with one group of 40, or even 60 depending on mood. In the past edition, I was a firm believer of keeping Clan rats cheap and expendable. Any wounds they did was pretty bonus as they were there to get in the way. With the changes to weapon ranges and the fact that I get back d3 slain rats every battle shock phase, I was really happy. That said I don't think I had enough resources to keep both units, especially two big units, supported. With so many choices for battle line, I think one good tarpit unit should do nicely. More games will tell here.

All in all, I'm pretty excited for more games as the faction feels way more open with more interesting combos to try. For a new player, the new Start Collecting should do you well. The Storm Fiends are great, and get scary with Engineer support. You will always need more clan rats as a Skaven player and the Grey Seer on foot is handy. Wither can be a really neat spell when it goes off. Honestly, what kind of Skaven do you want to play? Its a big faction that has some great models but also a LOT of missing models or very old, ugly models. It can be a bit tricky, but this has lead to some great 3D printed models (some pulled directly from Total War no less).

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 3, 2022

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Crazy Ferret posted:

All in all, I'm pretty excited for more games as the faction feels way more open with more interesting combos to try. For a new player, the new Start Collecting should do you well. The Storm Fiends are great, and get scary with Engineer support. You will always need more clan rats as a Skaven player and the Grey Seer on foot is handy. Wither can be a really neat spell when it goes off. Honestly, what kind of Skaven do you want to play? Its a big faction that has some great models but also a LOT of missing models or very old, ugly models. It can be a bit tricky, but this has lead to some great 3D printed models (some pulled directly from Total War no less).
I just got two Vanguard boxes, yes-yes! Since I'm a pretty slow hobbyist, by the time I finish there should be some plastic options for my favorite Skaven units... hopefully.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/03/sunday-preview-yet-more-classic-kits-return-on-a-made-to-order-basis/

Next week sees a brief return of some made to order Skaven kits.
And not much else. v:v:v

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skirmish preview is happening.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I mean yes, but that's not a pre-order or something like that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

stackofflapjacks posted:

I'm only one game in with the new tome, but I'll try to give my thoughts.

If you're set on pure Skryre, it's going to be a bit rough with how the Galletian veteran stuff works. Yeah you can make your Stormfiends bounty hunters, but you can bet your opponent is going to select the key objective to be the proving grounds at the worse possible time.

Overcharging weapon teams was always one of my favorite part of Skryre because you had to weigh the risk/reward on it. Now if you overcharge you have to go in assuming your weapon team is going to die, but hoping that it does enough damage on the way out. Like the afore-mentioned 72% chance of the ratling gun team welping itself. Only things I've found to be worth overcharging is the Warp Lightning Cannon and the Bombardier's/Engineer's spells.

That being said, Stormfiends are nuts right now in terms of damage output. Use Skryre's Warpstone Shard ability for +1 damage and put More-More Warp Power on them and they'll mulch drat near anything. The last game I had I was solidly losing, but then I got the double-turn and my 2 units of Stormfiends wholesale deleted all my opponent's units that were giving me grief. Shard + bounty hunters + MMWP means your Stormfiend with a ratling cannon is dumping 3D6 shots hitting on 2+, wounding on 2+, -1 rend, and 3 damage against GV units.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

That being said, Stormfiends are nuts right now in terms of damage output. Use Skryre's Warpstone Shard ability for +1 damage and put More-More Warp Power on them and they'll mulch drat near anything. The last game I had I was solidly losing, but then I got the double-turn and my 2 units of Stormfiends wholesale deleted all my opponent's units that were giving me grief. Shard + bounty hunters + MMWP means your Stormfiend with a ratling cannon is dumping 3D6 shots hitting on 2+, wounding on 2+, -1 rend, and 3 damage against GV units.
I thought Bounty Hunters was melee-only 🤔

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Welp, then we messed that up.

Still lets the melee of the ranged stormfiends deal 3 damage though

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

I just love the hell out of Ikit Claw, how does that made to order stuff work with it being limited time? Should I order thanquol while he's still around? The rest of those heroes aren't on the website yet, is this a teaser for made to order coming next week or soon?

I think one of the new vanguard boxes would be great, might have to grab a few of those named guys for fun painting. I really dig the whole warpstoned vibe, pestilens and all the assassin's are fun. What's the Warhammer AoS skirmish game called? The skaven came out with a combo Nethermaze and those gutter runner proxies are such great models

I want to want to get into playing with my plastic army dolls..but I'm really enjoying dabbling in the hobby side I never enjoyed as a kid. So trying a box of this faction, a box of that has been nice and not building any armies yet or needing to build a list just yet. But drat the Stormfiends look sick, can't wait to build those and paint em, nevermind when they get the DLC treatment in WH3

I'll have to dig out my old horrible Imperial Guard I slopped paint on as a 13 year old and share in the Unspiration thread once I paint some new stuff

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

stackofflapjacks posted:

I think one of the new vanguard boxes would be great, might have to grab a few of those named guys for fun painting. I really dig the whole warpstoned vibe, pestilens and all the assassin's are fun. What's the Warhammer AoS skirmish game called? The skaven came out with a combo Nethermaze and those gutter runner proxies are such great models

AoS skirmish game is called Warcry. Underworlds (nethermaze included) are more like lcg with minis (you can still use minis from it in aos or warcry of course)

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Four more nighthaunt banshees done. Almost done painting nighthaunt. Painted a little darker for this batch.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a big squig

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/04/new-faqs-and-erratas-tighten-up-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

It's new FAQs and errata time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gorgeous

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The FAQs seem to confirm that it is the intent that Coalition units not counting as part of your required Battleline should be a general rule...except that it's applied scattershot to battletome errata (and doesn't show up in Stormcast, Tzeentch, Nurgle or Slaanesh errata, for...reasons...) rather than being applied as a general core rules FAQ or errata.

Games Workshop!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

Skirmish games reveal stream starts in 10 minutes.

Looks like we might get Witch Hunters and Slaanesh?

First reveal is Heart of Ghur for Warcry, the full reveal of the guys they showed off during Warhammer Day.

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1546120685352894466

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 10, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Hashut callbacks weren't a thing I saw coming in AoS

Chorfs when, GW

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chorfs have been a thing in the setting since they expanded it in 2nd ed. But just various minor mentions in the lore as there's at least one in 2nd Core that talk about corrupted dwarves having a stronghold somewhere.

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1546125867881054209

And for Underworlds we're getting a pair of Good Boys. :3:
And a Witch Hunter too.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 10, 2022

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

drat, those Witchhunters look amazing.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Underworlds is a game I have never actually played a game of but own maybe 10 warbands because the warbands are just fun to paint. Make it 11 because those witch hunters :discourse:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Same. It’s exactly what I want from GW: interesting and varied high quality groups of themed minis for ~£20. I’ll probably never actually play a GW game but I will consistently keep buying war bands so long as they keep pumping new ones out.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I hope those minis are a sign of things to come with the Dawnbringer Crusades

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I quite like those Inquisitors. Are they usable in anything in the main game? Cities of Sigmar, I’d guess, but I still have basically zero knowledge about AoS in a practical sense.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They will most likely get a free AoS Warscroll.
How well they will actually play in that game remains to be seen, but it's usually not that great.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Unit of Spirit Hosts done.

One unit remaining for my Nighthaunt army then I move on to... another army.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Same. It’s exactly what I want from GW: interesting and varied high quality groups of themed minis for ~£20. I’ll probably never actually play a GW game but I will consistently keep buying war bands so long as they keep pumping new ones out.

My only complaint about GW putting out minis like this is that scale creep has made them tough to fit on a standard 1"x1" RPG grid.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

abravemoose posted:

Unit of Spirit Hosts done.

One unit remaining for my Nighthaunt army then I move on to... another army.

These are all beautiful, thank you for posting them as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

stackofflapjacks posted:

These are all beautiful, thank you for posting them as you go.

Thanks, this means a lot to me.