Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

absolutely bonkers that this is all done with RCE. This seems like it'd be hard just to mod normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Holler holler get dollar

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Oxyclean posted:

absolutely bonkers that this is all done with RCE. This seems like it'd be hard just to mod normally.

At this point we don't know how it was done, since they haven't been truthful about anything else.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
finally teh nintendo direct

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe tasbot pirated botw2

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lmfao they actually, ACTUALLY wrote ACE code to define a model with bones, the absolute madmen

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This gets better and better.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm not a sub so welp guess I'm left out

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
okay, this is adorable

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kestral posted:

At this point we don't know how it was done, since they haven't been truthful about anything else.

I felt somewhat inclined to take the word of it being an unmodded cart running on real HW.

But now that there's what looks like clearly new maps and models,, I have no idea what to think.

Oh there it is.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'd have more fun if they were upfront about what was fake for fun and what was actually unearthed in the code, but I bet most viewers are really enjoying it so w/e.

Oh poo poo it is gonna be 'OoT plays twitch chat'. Just the worst fuckign timeline.

I know other people love this but man, I just like the other tas stuff and not the gimmicks so much.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I usually hate "lol we used ace to build a game inside the game dawg" runs but this is amazing, imagine being so joyless you think this is an insult to the marathon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

the tas crew are the most vicious liars out there not a word they say is true

cute tho

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010
Can't wait for the writeup about how this happened, tbh.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
drat what an ending

I spammed the red bull emote

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oxyclean posted:

I felt somewhat inclined to take the word of it being an unmodded cart running on real HW.

But now that there's what looks like clearly new maps and models,, I have no idea what to think.

Oh there it is.

this is, in fact, all possible with ace

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Same. Definitely curious to see how any of this was possible.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If they somehow wrote internet access with ACE does that mean they're using it to grab the new models and voice lines?

... Can you even add internet access to an N64 with a software change? Or I guess TASbot had internet and was just loading it on the fly.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Agent355 posted:

I'd have more fun if they were upfront about what was fake for fun and what was actually unearthed in the code, but I bet most viewers are really enjoying it so w/e.

Oh poo poo it is gonna be 'OoT plays twitch chat'. Just the worst fuckign timeline.

I know other people love this but man, I just like the other tas stuff and not the gimmicks so much.

Please shut up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

They did twitch on an SNES or was it an NES before. So that's believable at least.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Please shut up.

I will not.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bremen posted:

If they somehow wrote internet access with ACE does that mean they're using it to grab the new models and voice lines?

... Can you even add internet access to an N64 with a software change?

they wrote internet access to a super nintendo through its controller port some years back, so

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vinciolo posted:

Can't wait for the writeup about how this happened, tbh.

i'm legit gawping at them having used ACE to code in two fully rigged models. that's a step above even the kind of stuff people were doing with SMW

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Here go read this webpage so you know what was unearthed in the code https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

and as a bonus it'll keep you from throwing around terms like "worst timeline" in a thread about an event that regularly raises millions of dollars for Doctors Without Borders

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggg

that Japanese voice, that blew it, why the hell did they do that lmao, totally out of step with everything before

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

I usually hate "lol we used ace to build a game inside the game dawg" runs but this is amazing, imagine being so joyless you think this is an insult to the marathon

I'm sorry, you may not have noticed but this is SomethingAwful.com, what were you expecting?

And yeah, that was wonderful. Triforce% is going to be legendary.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

that was really cool and i had fun

umbasa 🙏

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agent355 posted:

I will not.
is there anything this week that you liked

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

That was pretty cool imo

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm real glad this got met though. It would've been a huge bummer for these dudes if they didn't get to show it off. I imagine they definitely would've cheated it in somehow.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

is there anything this week that you liked

Almost everything!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

that was loving cool and I'm glad people are happy

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

that was really fun to watch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bremen posted:

it's possible that they streamed it in directly but, if it's just gathering model data to implement, it'd probably be easier to code TASbot in advance with all the information needed

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there were a few tasbot blocks a few years ago that did this kind of thing but were sorta lame, this one kicked rear end

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

That was pretty drat cool, and the ending was cute! I've followed OoT stuff for almost 2 decades, and it's cool to see the beta content we've known about for a long time coded into the actual cartridge.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
That was cool, and really sweet

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Vermain posted:

i'm legit gawping at them having used ACE to code in two fully rigged models. that's a step above even the kind of stuff people were doing with SMW

From my limited game dev experience, I know for sure it's not hard to build meshes with only code and then throw colors on textures with only code and slap those on the meshes, but to do this with button presses is just beyond nuts and amazing. The work that went into this is next level.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Bremen posted:

... Can you even add internet access to an N64 with a software change? Or I guess TASbot had internet and was just loading it on the fly.

They talk near the start about TASBot being plugged into all four controller ports. So once they get the ACE up and running it's able to stream any additional content and code in via the ports. Like an extension port. This also lets they use assets that are way larger than would fit on a cartridge. It's a very fancy rom hack.

Excited to watch this once it's published https://twitter.com/RetroGameMechEx/status/1543033025209966592

Edit: Ah here we go https://twitter.com/RetroGameMechEx/status/1543076091761500160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
That was absolutely the coolest thing I have seen in a long long time.