Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As Nero Danced posted:

drat dude, thanks for the correction, sorry you needed it but glad you're doing better.

If you take Lexapro, a rare side effect is catastrophic liver damage. So if you suddenly get really bad pain in your lower left back? You pay attention to that fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I finished up season 1. It was good all in all and I really enjoyed it, I probably won't be continuing to season 2.

Some problems I had: The superhero origin stuff is revealed way too early. The whole theme of the show is "What if these superheroes are just human". All of their evil is a very human level evil and then half way through the first season they show that they are literally just humans pumped full of drugs. Instead of having the theme be displayed through the characters actions, they just directly state it through a plot macguffin and eliminate any subtlety. I would have liked to have been dragged a little further down the "ordained by God" propaganda they present.

The Deep stuff all sucked so much. This powerful scene in the first episode where he rapes a primary protagonist is then turned into a comedy beat where the rapist becomes the rapee in little scenelets that might as well have had loving Yakkety Sax playing over top of them. The writers literally send him out to pasture at the end and apparently they bring him back for season 2? Man, what the hell.

I think the biggest bummer for me though was that ultimately it was a heist story with no heist. It has Billy setting up this crack squad and putting all the pieces in the place, all for just the same old poo poo to happen with characters off doing their own things before the credits roll. A real lack of payoff that I think is necessary if I just watched 8 hours of this show.

I'm sure season 2 onwards is good as well, I might read the plot synopsis at some point.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's weird, but Homelander's weird mommy issues probably put him in a better than average headspace to receive information about his mom/girlfriend.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean if we’re going to apply medical reality to these superheroes, then you’d also assume that Stormfront went through menopause decades before Homelander was created, thus rendering the theories about her moot. But it’s also a good plot twist if she ends up being HL’s mom, so who cares? I’m okay with A-Train getting all of his strength back if it makes for a good story.

Also to the poster above, I’d recommend you keep watching because the show only gets better as it goes. This season is the best one yet, imo.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This show just gets better, holy poo poo. This loving ep turned an exposition dump into a tour de force. Every beat landed with max impact.

I was so sucked into it that I finally got that "escapism" I've always wondered was real.

And though it all, will Annie save Hughie? And what's Soldier Boy gonna do when he learns about his grandson?

As predictable as it is to us, absorbers of waaaaay too much content. Going full Oedipus on Homelander would be :discourse:

Edit: I'm excited about the extreme toxicity that a Homelander and Soldier Boy team up brings. Made more interesting in the fact they're both frauds and trying to hold that up.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 2, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Beartaco posted:

I finished up season 1. It was good all in all and I really enjoyed it, I probably won't be continuing to season 2.

Some problems I had: The superhero origin stuff is revealed way too early. The whole theme of the show is "What if these superheroes are just human". All of their evil is a very human level evil and then half way through the first season they show that they are literally just humans pumped full of drugs. Instead of having the theme be displayed through the characters actions, they just directly state it through a plot macguffin and eliminate any subtlety. I would have liked to have been dragged a little further down the "ordained by God" propaganda they present.

The Deep stuff all sucked so much. This powerful scene in the first episode where he rapes a primary protagonist is then turned into a comedy beat where the rapist becomes the rapee in little scenelets that might as well have had loving Yakkety Sax playing over top of them. The writers literally send him out to pasture at the end and apparently they bring him back for season 2? Man, what the hell.

I think the biggest bummer for me though was that ultimately it was a heist story with no heist. It has Billy setting up this crack squad and putting all the pieces in the place, all for just the same old poo poo to happen with characters off doing their own things before the credits roll. A real lack of payoff that I think is necessary if I just watched 8 hours of this show.

I'm sure season 2 onwards is good as well, I might read the plot synopsis at some point.

The scene where The Deep is assaulted isn't meant to be a comedic moment

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

At this point I'm mostly just rooting that Soldier Boy survives the season as he's a great addition to the show and world. Great choice to keep it vague whether he plans on aiding or still wants to kill Homelander after this episodes revelation.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
homelander doesnt do bennies, no chance they can get on with each other

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

The scene where The Deep is assaulted isn't meant to be a comedic moment

And yet it's sandwiched between the scene with him and the lobster at the supermarket, and scene of him talking with the local Gil-esque Vought guy. Everything with him after episode 1 is explicitly played as a comedy bit, but as the audience we're expected to take the scene where he's sexually assaulted seriously?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think we're very much expected to look at that and go "Haha the rapist is being raped".

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Beartaco posted:

And yet it's sandwiched between the scene with him and the lobster at the supermarket, and scene of him talking with the local Gil-esque Vought guy. Everything with him after episode 1 is explicitly played as a comedy bit, but as the audience we're expected to take the scene where he's sexually assaulted seriously?

yes, this is a show built on tonal whiplash

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Beartaco posted:

I think we're very much expected to look at that and go "Haha the rapist is being raped".

I think it's meant to make you uncomfortable with what's happening to him while also kinda uncomfortable with the fact that you're feeling bad for a rapist

I feel like it exists as an argument against exactly the type of lovely attitude you're talking about

it seems to be saying, "is this what you want? is this what you consider justice for a rapist? isn't this horrible? don't you feel bad about it even though he's a piece of poo poo? and even though it's happening with a beautiful woman in a beautiful house? isn't rape and sexual assault always wrong?"

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't think it's a damning indictment on the show or anything. I think it's stupid more than anything else but I believe you're way off if you think that scene is played for anything but laughs.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Something very Metal gear solid about an old soldier having his seed tampered with and creating a spoilt blonde megalomaniac who has a team of misfit terrorists including a guy in a gimp mask and a guy with an octopus moniker

I mean Kojima has been gushing about the show lately and mentioned he has an idea for a game that shared similarities to the boys...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Beartaco posted:

I don't think it's a damning indictment on the show or anything. I think it's stupid more than anything else but I believe you're way off if you think that scene is played for anything but laughs.

You got some kind of insider knowledge of authorial intent or is this just how it made you feel?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hadn't seen it in a while so I pulled up this terrible video of a TV on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86K6PdeFr9A

and after watching it again I can say even more confidently that there is nothing comedic about that scene

they're clearly trying to make it as uncomfortable and visceral as they can

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TIP posted:

I think it's meant to make you uncomfortable with what's happening to him while also kinda uncomfortable with the fact that you're feeling bad for a rapist

I feel like it exists as an argument against exactly the type of lovely attitude you're talking about

it seems to be saying, "is this what you want? is this what you consider justice for a rapist? isn't this horrible? don't you feel bad about it even though he's a piece of poo poo? and even though it's happening with a beautiful woman in a beautiful house? isn't rape and sexual assault always wrong?"

Especially because it comes right after his whole vulnerability about his gills and then he gets humiliated as a freak for having them. It's so out of sync for what the show paints as humor that I don't see that read at all.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

You got some kind of insider knowledge of authorial intent or is this just how it made you feel?

I've watched a film before and I can tell the difference between a scene shot to be a comedy and a scene shot to be a drama. What do you want me to dig up a Film Studies 101 essay on this? This is a weird thing you folks are going to bat for.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beartaco posted:

From the thread that brought you "is homelander racist," "is stormfront racist," and "is soldier boy racist"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Beartaco posted:

I would give S2 a shot, it's where the show really finds its throughline as being about the current moment politically. It's much more focused and polished while still being tonally crude and unhinged. Antony Starr really owns his role too, Homelander was always a villain but I feel like S2 they really nail the feeling that any scene with that character can turn into a horror movie at a moment's notice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well I (and like, everyone else) predicted that V24 would gently caress Butcher and Hughie up, I didn't predict how much how fast. I guess the question is now if they're gonna survive via something like getting shot up with permanent V or if they're just gonna survive their 5th dose with giant brain tumors and the whole next season is gonna be some race against time to kill Homelander before they die.

roomtone posted:

Also it wouldn't have required Starlight to be a giant hypocrite by going to get Kimiko's powers back for the same basic reason as Hughie did - to protect someone they love. Why is she so easily convinced by one and not the other? Or more importantly, why is the show? It's okay for Kimiko to want all this power because her intentions are pure, I guess, which is why they've portrayed Hughie's as pathetic even though it's basically the same idea. They're making it all about patriarchy, which is why Kimiko should get them back, why Starlight's access to these powers isn't even questioned, and Hughie and Butcher shouldn't have them because men will use them poorly. I think that's patronising because there's a better political story about power that they could've been telling with this, but they've squashed it and are fracturing the characters in order to stay on this track.

The difference in the situations is that Starlight justifies her not letting Hughie take V24 because she can protect Hughie. With Kimiko depowered, both she and Frenchie are just two humans, in danger from the mob and potentially Homelander. Additionally Hughie's motives are not pure compared to Kimko's, it's well established by this point that he wants powers less for protecting Starlight and more because he feels emasculated/powerless and having powers fixes that. Also there's the in-story justification of Kimiko being more receptive to the permanent V without it really loving her up since she used to have powers... which was only theoretical, I'll give you, but makes more sense than just giving it to Frenchie when we know it's dangerous to adult non-supes.

As for why Butcher shouldn't have powers, see also: every episode.

quote:

Then they also wouldn't have had to make Starlight just walk into Vought with no reistance because the plot wants to hurry up and get Kimiko's powers back, not rehash Vought infiltration, if the power sapping was temporary.

Did you literally miss when she was frying cameras and avoiding guards?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Tender Bender posted:

I would give S2 a shot, it's where the show really finds its throughline as being about the current moment politically. It's much more focused and polished while still being tonally crude and unhinged. Antony Starr really owns his role too, Homelander was always a villain but I feel like S2 they really nail the feeling that any scene with that character can turn into a horror movie at a moment's notice.

Starr is outstanding. I can't believe this show has not one, but two New Zealand actors in major roles. This has to be a new record for us.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dont get too excited, only one of them's getting the accent right

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Eau de MacGowan posted:

dont get too excited, only one of them's getting the accent right

Oi

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

A show theme is the cyclical nature of power and trauma. Sometimes, a superhuman who was raised to be the ultimate killing machine is mean to their underling, who in turn is sexually domineering to an underling via corporate power, so on so forth eventually a superhero who we’ve seen rape and be raped is coercing his Scientologist Vassar tenured speechwriting wife into a three way with an octopus. Who’s right? Who’s wrong? Thankfully we won’t have to think too hard about it because there’s a fella who wants to gently caress his dad bad enough to put a stop to it all

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you take Lexapro, a rare side effect is catastrophic liver damage. So if you suddenly get really bad pain in your lower left back? You pay attention to that fucker.

:stare: I take Lexapro

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Soldier Boy to Black Noir after brutalizing him for trying to rise above his place: “I see you getting out of line again, trying to move on up”, the italicized in a deliberate singing cadence.

https://youtu.be/_-OnRQ4P0VY

:thunk:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wheeee posted:

Soldier Boy to Black Noir after brutalizing him for trying to rise above his place: “I see you getting out of line again, trying to move on up”, the italicized in a deliberate singing cadence.

https://youtu.be/_-OnRQ4P0VY

:thunk:

congratulations on figuring out the obvious pop culture reference

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Beartaco posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't say its treated with deep gravitas, and theres definitely a black comedy to it. But I don't think black comedy is necessarily intended to make the viewer lol out loud.

Example, the Onion's web show Sex House is a 'comedy' about sex abuse and exploitation, which is fully aware its deeply disturbing and also absurd. Or the film Happiness. If there are any laughs there they're uncomfortable ones.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Beartaco posted:

I've watched a film before and I can tell the difference between a scene shot to be a comedy and a scene shot to be a drama. What do you want me to dig up a Film Studies 101 essay on this? This is a weird thing you folks are going to bat for.

It's probably a good thing you're not going to continue watching.

A) I don't think this show is for you
B) You should probably stop posting in this thread before you make yourself look even stupider

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mu Zeta posted:

I heard that Blondie rap song at work and now I really like it and wish they would release the full Soldier Boy cover.

I showed the Soldier Boy version to a girl at work who loves Ackles from Supernatural but hasn't yet watched the Boys.

She thought it was kinda funny, but dumb, but then looked at me and said "oh....that was a real song, wasn't it?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was a real song and the first rap to reach number one.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it speaks a lot to debbie harry's insane charisma that she can pull off those lyrics and make them seem not ridiculous

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it speaks a lot to debbie harry's insane charisma that she can pull off those lyrics and make them seem not ridiculous

really? I feel like the appeal of the rap break in the song is that it's goofy as hell

she's very charming but it's hard to miss how weird that section is

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

TIP posted:

really? I feel like the appeal of the rap break in the song is that it's goofy as hell

she's very charming but it's hard to miss how weird that section is

look, the man from mars shot me dead and now i'm eating cars. im just coping ok

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chamale posted:

I wonder who those actresses are. Putting out the casting call for some hot old ladies must have been interesting.

Liz Taylor (no, not that one) and Joanette Connell. Neither of them has done porn, according to IMDB.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, you could see brain in Noir's injury in the flashback. Massive scar/burn tissue as well. Might explain why he's hosed up, might just be insane cause he crippled a kid in a ballpit like it's no big deal.

The best thing I absolutely love about the a train situation is, Ashley could just be lying her rear end off. She could just be doing this for revenge. She finally had a member of the seven, the people that made her life a living hell, under her thumb. Who's gonna contradict the lady who is only second to Homelander in the company?

I called it with sb, but I'm hoping that next episode they run a bit more with it.

I'm thinking sb might have some issues besides PTSD. I think he may also have a screw or three loose. Given the "what did you say?" remarks, he's hearing poo poo no one else heard. Maybe being tortured for 40 years took it's toll on his mind.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Hey, he doesn't have shell shock, gently caress you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Here's a thought. We know Noir's first name, but not his last name. Does anyone else think that he might be Stan Edgar's brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jedit posted:

Here's a thought. We know Noir's first name, but not his last name. Does anyone else think that he might be Stan Edgar's brother?

would be a real dick maneuver to continue to eat almonds in front of your deathly allergic brother, particularly when he asks you to stop, and particularly when youre an animated meerkat