Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

"Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 miles per hour (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured, but in a disoriented state. When it recovered, it attacked the crew.[3]"

I think about this article every time I send up one of the giant brown bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

"Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 miles per hour (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured, but in a disoriented state. When it recovered, it attacked the crew.[3]"

Why are they even using a cop to test the system? Not having to feel bad if they die?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/mfwuXsu.mp4

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Agents are GO! posted:

Why are they even using a cop to test the system? Not having to feel bad if they die?

calling cops pigs is an insult to pigs, pigs are way more empathetic and thoughtful

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Altogether useful too

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can use pigs to get rid of bodies, cops just start asking stupid questions about them and try to shoot anyone who answers

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Why would you fix this. Hell it should be a special weapon effect

I think I've finally figured out how I'm going to work this into the mod:

Ignition!, player upgrade. Prerequisites: at least one weapon with an elemental upgrade on it.
Effect: attacking an enemy with an elemental debuff has a chance (probably based on number of debuff stacks and how low on health it is) to turn it into a firework, causing it to rocket upwards and explode when it hits the skybox (or the ceiling). Explosion colour depends on what debuffs it has.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

You can use pigs to get rid of bodies, cops just start asking stupid questions about them and try to shoot anyone who answers

you moron, you use cops to get rid of bodies before they're dead

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXZmx7iPBY

I kind of wish it was feasible for this to be a real way to play the game, because… it’s kinda neat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXZmx7iPBY

I kind of wish it was feasible for this to be a real way to play the game, because… it’s kinda neat.

playing a little American Theft 80's and it feels like this.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

boat peggle looking good

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Now do boat plinko.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I had a thought for super cavitating explosions where the water disappears or something for boats to "fall" into to get bounced up.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

https://twitter.com/skateEA/status/1542539425405493248

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oh good, skate plinko

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh god, please let the guy who originally made this make a new vid about this one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
become a skate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

I had a thought for super cavitating explosions where the water disappears or something for boats to "fall" into to get bounced up.

People are definitely clamoring for ways to launch boats around! A cavitation bubble is an interesting idea for one way to do it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fight giant mantis shrimp and get launched

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

People are definitely clamoring for ways to launch boats around! A cavitation bubble is an interesting idea for one way to do it.

Maybe like a column/cone/hemisphere of water changing z-axis?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wasabi the J posted:

Isn't that more or less how real torpedoes work?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dialhforhero posted:

Now do boat plinko.

Give the boat horse captains

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Polaron posted:

Isn't that more or less how real torpedoes work?

Yes but this time on jello water

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dervinosdoom posted:

Give the boat horse captains

One of the things I've lowkey wanted to do is to add a ship customization option that is the ship's pet. You'd be able to pick a species (e.g. cat, dog, goat, elephant, walrus), name it, and then the only effect is that it'd be visible in one of the backgrounds used for before-mission cutscenes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the things I've lowkey wanted to do is to add a ship customization option that is the ship's pet. You'd be able to pick a species (e.g. cat, dog, goat, elephant, walrus), name it, and then the only effect is that it'd be visible in one of the backgrounds used for before-mission cutscenes.

if you're gonna do that, you need to have an assortment of unlockable hats

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

if you're gonna do that, you need to have an assortment of unlockable hats

Also something I had considered doing! The main sticking point being the UI behind placing your hat (or cat ears, or whatever) on the ship.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

But, do hats go on the bridge/conning tower? The gun directing radar? On each turret?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

On the ship's pet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zereth posted:

On the ship's pet.

that's what I was thinking initially

hats on the ship for matching outfits would be cute too

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh god, please let the guy who originally made this make a new vid about this one.
Helix Snake is the god king of Skate vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaUR6u8nHoM or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnxaJUIFYg

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Also something I had considered doing! The main sticking point being the UI behind placing your hat (or cat ears, or whatever) on the ship.

I think all the stuff you've been posting about your game-in-progress is really neat, and it's cool to see snapshots of where things are (when they go hilariously wrong). I loved the one with the dazzle camo paint that was a layer or something that didn't move with the ship, and it also dazzled the smoke.

Seconding/thirding/fourthing/whatever-ing you add a ship's pet and also hats for the pet. If there's an icon for the ship in the HUD (like a little battle-damage monitor that goes green to red as different sections take damage), you should also have a hat on that ship.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Arrath posted:

But, do hats go on the bridge/conning tower? The gun directing radar? On each turret?

Hanging on the top of the inexplicably ubiquitous flag pole that's on each and every ship. Yes, even the submarines.

But yes, this topic of discussion reminds me of Deep Rock Galactic, and how every time several goons and I think to do so, we fill out the survey for the game and tell the devs we want hats for Steeve.

There's already a mod for it, just make it official, dammit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sINTMuBybLU

As for the pets themselves, are they unique to each ship? Having them in the background of mission select should be fine, but it'd also be neat to see them milling around the decks of the different boats all tiny-like. For submarines, have them float in a life preserver, getting tugged behind the sub by a rope. Kinda like a reverse anchor, I suppose, except with none of the weight or stopping power. And of course, make any NPCs be unable to see or react to it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Hanging on the top of the inexplicably ubiquitous flag pole that's on each and every ship. Yes, even the submarines.

You have indirectly given me an idea for how to make hats work. Thank you!

As for pets: the reason I considered doing them as just "this animal is in the background somewhere" is because it's the only way I could think of to make it scale at all. Basically each animal would need to have 1 drawing made of it, and that's it. That lets me have a wide variety of animals, and thus more customization options. But even this minimal level of functionality is enough work that I can't prioritize it for 1.0.

It'd make a good free DLC or something, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If a ship wore pants

Etc

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Still working on that doom mod. Fairly early on I implemented recursion guards, so on-damage effects couldn't proc on-damage effects, avoiding the issue where (say) poison damage applies more poison stacks faster than it wears off.

This past weekend, I overhauled the guards completely so that some effects could proc off each other; for example, the fragments from fragmentation shots can now proc poison/acid/fire on things they hit. The mod now has a more general system for defining which effects can proc off which other effects that still guarantees no infinite recursion.

While working on it, though, there were a few iterations where that guarantee did not hold, and I ended up with test situations like:

- fire a rocket into a room full of enemies
- Fragmentation Shots procs on every enemy caught in the blast, causing them to release fragments 1 frame later
- every fragment that hits an enemy explodes (this is hitscan, so it happens on the same frame the fragments are spawned)
- these explosions spawn more fragments (after a 1 frame delay)
- ...continue until you reach a state where none of the fragments hit anything, probably because everything in the room is dead.

In practice, what this looks like to the player is:
- HUGE CONSOLE WARNING MESSAGE SPAM
- game freezes for a second or so
- everything is dead, including the player if this is one of the builds where fragmentation shots could self-damage

This one I don't think is making it into the final build, although I'm probably going to keep "fragments from fragmentation shots explode (without spawning more fragments)" around as an optional upgrade.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

make fragments non hitscan?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rebrand it as the Fission Gun.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ToxicFrog posted:

In practice, what this looks like to the player is:
- HUGE CONSOLE WARNING MESSAGE SPAM
- game freezes for a second or so
- everything is dead, including the player if this is one of the builds where fragmentation shots could self-damage

This one I don't think is making it into the final build, although I'm probably going to keep "fragments from fragmentation shots explode (without spawning more fragments)" around as an optional upgrade.

Congratulations on recreating Noita in the Doom engine...?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zamujasa posted:

Congratulations on recreating Lemmings in the Noita engine

that would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

LifeSunDeath posted:

that would be amazing.

How long has it been since we had a decent Lemmings game? Thirty years? Noita is practically made for Lemmings!