Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

The 7th Guest posted:

will not be taking any questions

I'm an Earl main and I agree with this tier list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Booky posted:

live a liveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Just like Moon before it I'm loving these little weirdo untranslated JPN-only games getting ports 20 years after the fact

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just finished watching RRR

big recommend to anyone with three hours to kill

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing some DUSK and enjoying myself.

What would you all call the best classic-doom like? Aka keys, secrets, 9 guns, etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

What would you all call the best classic-doom like? Aka keys, secrets, 9 guns, etc.

DUSK is probably the best modern take on the boomer shooter, and i think dark forces is probably the best contemporary boomer shooter of its era (aside from doom, ofc)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never heard of “boomer shooter” til yesterday and now I’ve seen it twice, what’s going on ???

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never heard of “boomer shooter” til yesterday and now I’ve seen it twice, what’s going on ???

This is what happens when you don't read posts

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whenever I see the word “b**mer” I involuntary start thinking about guillotines

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

it's dusk. nothing remotely comes close.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
try thinking of someone going 'hup hup hup hup' while dual wielding shotguns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relax Or DIE posted:

try thinking of someone going 'hup hup hup hup' while dual wielding shotguns

I can't find a good quality clip of it, but pretend I posted a video of that one cutscene in Wild Arms 4 where a guy uses two shotguns to keep himself alfoat to blow up a bunch of missiles in the sky.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's here!!! My new PC!!! It's finally here!!!

...okay, now how can 2 injured people get it out of the box and put it under the desk...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1542643526919344128?t=PG7UERh24kiDNxkZjf1Irw&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finally got Doom Eternal and why are there cutscenes and a storyline about some ancient civilization and their king getting in the way of ♪ DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN, DUN DUN DUN DUNNNN! DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN, DUN DUN DILLA-LILLA-LILLA-LAH! ♪? :mad:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

I finally got Doom Eternal and why are there cutscenes and a storyline about some ancient civilization and their king getting in the way of ♪ DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN, DUN DUN DUN DUNNNN! DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN, DUN DUN DILLA-LILLA-LILLA-LAH! ♪? :mad:

Doom 2016 saying here's the plot no gently caress that BOOM BOOM was the peak of the franchise

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Doom 2016 saying here's the plot no gently caress that BOOM BOOM was the peak of the franchise

Seriously. It's exactly what I expected from the sequel, like when the Robot-Nerd-Man is trying to explain how to gently dismantle hell-fuel engines and Doomguy just ignores him to stomp the poo poo out of it. Instead there's all these scenes of priests going,"Ahhh my old friend remember when we met on the Plains of Frenzy and you helped co-sign for me to get financing on a Toyota Camry? Well I also added you as a secondary credit reference for a sweet Vespa I had my eye on now your credit rating is has sunk as low as the King of Felknor's empire fell in the Strifening of Kanshallah, which of course has its origins in...."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doomguy can have a little backstory, as a treat

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's here!!! My new PC!!! It's finally here!!!

...okay, now how can 2 injured people get it out of the box and put it under the desk...

Okay it actually has handles to grab it that rocks.

Goddamn it's giganormous, but I guess it makes sense because jfc I didn't realize the 3080 was so big, more than half the length of the PC. It does have a lot of space for extra poo poo and a transparent side so I can check for dust/faulty components on the inside.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

A random NPC just namedropped Ifrit. I did a big ol' Leonardo DiCaprio point :getin:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hatty posted:

My GOTFH22 sponsored by Jay Rust

10) Tunic
9) Cotton Fantasy
8) Rune Factory 5
7) Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origins
6) Neon White
5) Pocky and Rocky Reshrined
4) Triangle Strategy
3) Omori
2) Kirby and the Forgotten Land
1) Elden Ring

Oh poo poo is pocky and rocky out I was waiting for that one

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

It means modern Doom (1993) clone. I guess because we can't say Doom clone anymore? :shrug:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, poo poo, I realized now they installed Windows 10 Pro Trial and I have to reinstall to get Windows 10 Home once I get a license. Also the PC has some foam that goes from top to bottom that seems to cover the GPU, but I don't know if I have to take it out or not, on one hand it could be there to keep it on place but on the other it could burn when turning on the PC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's not a boomer shooter unless it's racist and ceaselessly demands your money

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I did my first run through Sastasha! I ended up going with NPCs so I could take my time to look around and figure out what was happening without pissing anyone off. Which turned out to be a good idea cause on my second run with actual people we raced through the whole thing, pulled half the dungeon at once and promptly wiped. Also I'd totally forgotten that this game was an MMO so when chests showed up and spat purpz at me I was really confused for a moment. But I now have a badass red leather coat and I look super cool :cool:

Also played some more Triple Triad and what the gently caress are some of these new rules :stare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wall pulling is normal for parties, wiping is not. Could either be inexperienced tank/healer or lvl 90 ones not used to having most of their buttons missing lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm kind of stuck on Bravely Default. I have a bunch of jobs that seem kind of crap, and I'm trying not to have everyone be too similar but otherwise they're kind of ineffective. Also the battle system is great but my hatred of random encounters makes me burn through my resources quickly which makes the dungeons tedious.

I think I've settled on a good mix of jobs? I have a Black&White Mage, a White&Time Mage, a Knight&Spell Fencer and a Valkyrie&Spell Fencer. Ao I kind of failed on keeping people different?

Ranger is strong but very specific, Thief and Monk are fragile as hell, Merchant costs resources I need and Summoner is strong but not really worth it early on. I do have Agnes using Summoner on occasion and I have the first 3 summons, but spamming Fira seems more effective?

I dunno. This is why I never get far in job systems. I don't really want everyone being exactly the same, but they all end up that way and I get bored. Any advice?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Strife

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The next batch of jobs should help a lot with your problem, you get Not-Bard/Not-Viking/Chemist and a counterattack-centric job, but Valkyrie is so good for physical setups that it’s kinda hard to ignore it. Also not-Viking helps with other jobs’ fragility iirc since they get to draw aggro, unless I’m remembering wrong.

Also just turn off random encounters, or at least scale them to 50%.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Well, poo poo, I realized now they installed Windows 10 Pro Trial and I have to reinstall to get Windows 10 Home once I get a license. Also the PC has some foam that goes from top to bottom that seems to cover the GPU, but I don't know if I have to take it out or not, on one hand it could be there to keep it on place but on the other it could burn when turning on the PC.

The company should have put a notice somewhere, yes remove the foam unless you want to only use your computer in 2 minute bursts before it shuts itself off over temps

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SeXReX posted:

The company should have put a notice somewhere, yes remove the foam unless you want to only use your computer in 2 minute bursts before it shuts itself off over temps

What if I want the record for the hottest PC, huh?

/s aside, yeah I know. That said it's not really foam wrapper but a block akin to the white ones you put on packages to make cushion on delicate packages.

Also Thief and Monk are fragile on BD but they also have great damage potential, that's their stich. (Godstrike on Thief is insane damage once you can do BP battery setups)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

it's not a boomer shooter unless it's racist and ceaselessly demands your money

Halo Infinite? :v:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

The next batch of jobs should help a lot with your problem, you get Not-Bard/Not-Viking/Chemist and a counterattack-centric job, but Valkyrie is so good for physical setups that it’s kinda hard to ignore it. Also not-Viking helps with other jobs’ fragility iirc since they get to draw aggro, unless I’m remembering wrong.

Also just turn off random encounters, or at least scale them to 50%.

Immediately after I posted that I changed my load out a bit. Gave my Valkyrie Thievery instead and I switched Agnes back over to Rydia mode. Glad to hear about the new jobs, though I'm not sure who to give aggro to. I'll figure it out. I'm about to walk out of the Twilight Ruins.

I think my biggest issue is not being able to heal before tackling the boss of a dungeon. Bravely Second fixed that issue but I kind of want to experience both games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bravely Default is probably worth experiencing but I’m gonna be like 100% real and admit I cashed out at the “bad” ending that seemed better than the true ending on top of being not a slog. BS did a much better job of holding my interest partly because it just knows what it’s about and embraces it 100% wrt writing and also because the main story is like half weird new jobs.

Also Catmancer. It’s just a blue mage that punches but it’s called Catmancer and summons cats to do blue magic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Bravely Default is probably worth experiencing but I’m gonna be like 100% real and admit I cashed out at the “bad” ending that seemed better than the true ending on top of being not a slog. BS did a much better job of holding my interest partly because it just knows what it’s about and embraces it 100% wrt writing and also because the main story is like half weird new jobs.

Also Catmancer. It’s just a blue mage that punches but it’s called Catmancer and summons cats to do blue magic.

You missed out on the best boss fights of any jrpg

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

You missed out on the best boss fights of any jrpg

Bloodborne is a JRPG.

Also yeah I’m aware, but slogging through the four elemental bosses again and again wasn’t worth it, but maybe I’ll try again eventually.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

it's silly nonsense that perfectly fits the "10 year old kid smashing the action figures together" vibe of doom eternal

eternal also lets you completely ignore the entire plot if you want, which is a step ahead of 2016 aggressively locking you in the cutscene closet several times

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

i am, to this day, still unreasonably pissed that they didn't translate it as "nekomancer"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

i am, to this day, still unreasonably pissed that they didn't translate it as "nekomancer"

Granblue Fantasy did translate their version as that. Funnily it and Bravely have different names in Japanese too (Cat User vs Black Cat Mage akin to FF Mages).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Either Bravely Default is hard, or I suck but I just wiped against DeRosa. I could just lower the difficulty down to Easy but it's starting to feel like a slog. I always petered out on about Chapter 5 of Second, but I'm starting to feel like that's a better game. Maybe I'm just in a fowl mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Walla posted:

Either Bravely Default is hard, or I suck but I just wiped against DeRosa. I could just lower the difficulty down to Easy but it's starting to feel like a slog. I always petered out on about Chapter 5 of Second, but I'm starting to feel like that's a better game. Maybe I'm just in a fowl mood.

It’s not exactly hard but the game can be broken in half with incredible OP job combos, and as you advance it kind of expects you to figure out and start using some of those combos