Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I had a similar situation happen to a friend - when the fraudsters called they already had a tonne of personal information like account number and sort code, address, date of birth etc (I'm guessing via some kind of online data leak). They read all that back to 'prove their identity', then rinsed his accounts dry with a series of transfers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm glad I hate doing this poo poo over the phone and prefer to go in person.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
That's why if you're sending a present to someone direct from Amazon or whatever, best to alert them to the fact (and for yourself to check delivery tracking wherever possible) even if it does 'ruin a surprise'. Far rather a 'ruined surprise' than lose £50k!

Also agree there should be a public awareness campaign of adverts, banks NEVER phone you up and ask you to transfer money to another account.

Guavanaut posted:

The most valuable advice I've had on it was always call back the bank/phone company on their fraud number, and do it from a mobile or a different number. Like if they call saying "hello bla bla bank bad need to transfer" say "and which bank is this?" and if it is one you bank with just thank them, hang up, and call the number on the back of that card, but some of them are lovely enough to keep a (non-digital land)line open and fake dialtone.

That's the kind of thing that would be good for the drink drive style ads.

I've told mum she MUST do this - but I tell her in between hanging up on the probable scammer and calling the bank to phone one of us whose voice she KNOWS - using the same phone they called her on - so she can know if the line is being 'held' by the scammer. Phoning one of us interrupts the process. And if she is still worried it might be genuine, also advise her to use the mobile to call the bank using the phone number of a statement - she still gets paper statements - if the scammer phoned on the landline and vice versa.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 2, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

All the banks repeat it all over their materials, there's only so much education can fix. The real issue is the impunity these scammers operate with and how disinterested the police are in dealing with it, but to some extent the problem is having a globally-avalaible communication system to begin with.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1542792687119646720

What's a dodgepot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A dodgy person. As opposed to a dashpot, which you get on doors.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

All the banks repeat it all over their materials, there's only so much education can fix. The real issue is the impunity these scammers operate with and how disinterested the police are in dealing with it, but to some extent the problem is having a globally-avalaible communication system to begin with.
That and people don't pay attention to messages from banks. And given the behaviour of banks over the past couple of decades I don't blame them.

Getting a "beware of these common scams" message between all the "YOU COULD GET A CREDIT CARD WITH NO INTEREST" and "FREE TRAVEL INSURANCE for Portsmouth and Isle of Wight only WHEN YOU OPEN A PREMIUM ACCOUNT" alerts is a bit like sitting down and reading

There needs to be a trusted regional or national resource with funding to reach people (as well as fraud squads giving a poo poo).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess you could mandate that all transfers over a certain amount between two accounts with no preexisting connection are reviewed by an actual person, but I guess that would cost the banks money and probably annoy customers to boot.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My sister fell for an Amazon scam a few weeks ago, she has very little money to begin with so it really stung. Fortunately her bank did refund her after a month or so, not sure if her overdraft charges got refunded. She wouldn't really describe how they got her money, I imagine it was similar to the scam described as she'd recently also had her debit card pinched by a friend's son and so would have been extra weary about protecting her money, but working against her that time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I propose a free market solution, simply make banks liable for any fraud that happens to their customers and let them figure out how to fix it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

I guess you could mandate that all transfers over a certain amount between two accounts with no preexisting connection are reviewed by an actual person, but I guess that would cost the banks money and probably annoy customers to boot.

Ha yes. I gnash my teeth when I have to go through a big palaver of verification texts (especially annoying if I'm somewhere with dodgy or non-existent mobile phone signal!) and have to remind myself it's for my (and the bank obviously) own protection. 'Tiz a big pain in the butt though - especially if it is simply amending a standing order by a few p.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm glad I hate doing this poo poo over the phone and prefer to go in person.

I'm now imagining you getting scammed by someone spoofing a bank building

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

I dunno, I think the banks seem happy to put a lot of money into fraud prevention. I guess when fraud succeeds it ends up costing them a lot more, even if they don't have to compensate for any losses.

It should at least be an option. I would be perfectly happy knowing that my bank had to call me any time more than £500 was to go out of my account

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

At least that's a much more amusing mental image.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

This is the single worst policy this government could enact around housing. Instead of doing anything at all, they plan to make it so that a 1 million pound house is just barely affordable for above average earners instead of a 300,000 one. So £300,000 houses will rise to £1m because that's what affordable monthly payments will look like.

It is the ultimate pull up the ladder policy. It's a loving travesty

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/01/no-10-considers-50-year-mortgages-that-could-pass-down-generations

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX56xKAwM88

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol it was that sketch or this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIezBv9Lb78

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can't believe I forgot about this song the other day when the story of BJ's BJ came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTIukwWj5VU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah that's where my mind went.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

In places where online/telephone banking isn't so common you have stories of people being 'charmed' by witch doctors instead.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

That has actually happened
Bad idea to set it up in a town that had a real branch already imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

In places where online/telephone banking isn't so common you have stories of people being 'charmed' by witch doctors instead.
Civilized countries have replaced them with insurance companies and unnecessary diagnostics.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I got a notification once that "my" purchase of Amazon gift cards had failed because I had no money, called the bank and they were instantly like "yes this is obviously not you" and had the card cancelled etc. Sometimes it pays to be poor. If the scammers want to gently caress me they'll have to get in the queue. :smuggo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
old wrighty's been kicked off radio 2 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62010156

i will miss him singing over the top of songs and laughing at his own jokes

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i actually don't mind him, it's jeremy vine i can't stand

he is just unbelievably dense

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
was doing a phone in on energy drinks a couple of weeks ago and he asked someone why we can't have "a photo of someone shaking" on the tins like we have cancer victims on fag packets lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i honestly wonder if him and robert peston talk the way they do because of an undiagnosed neurological illness

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

crispix posted:

i honestly wonder if him and robert peston talk the way they do because of an undiagnosed neurological illness

Trashfuture did an interview with ihm in june, and it's one of the most surreal things I;ve ever heard. Partly because it took me 10 minutes or so to realise it was the real Vine, and not a bit. But also because his takes are so utterly devoid of content. He's the absolute embodiment of "oh there's a controversy here" and never looking deeper than that.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
from the FT

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Trashfuture did an interview with ihm in june, and it's one of the most surreal things I;ve ever heard. Partly because it took me 10 minutes or so to realise it was the real Vine, and not a bit. But also because his takes are so utterly devoid of content. He's the absolute embodiment of "oh there's a controversy here" and never looking deeper than that.

poo poo you just made me realise it's july :aaa:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I got an unsolicited email supposedly from my bank (I think) a month or two ago, came from a dodgy email address - something like 09uaskdf.[bank].sdaklfjalsdf@[bank].asdklf.com. It was asking me to click some random embedded link and enter all my details to get access to an email on their secure server. Dodgy as gently caress.

Because I've been on the internet a few times I recongised this as incredibly suspicious so I immediately rang their fraud department asking what the gently caress, did you send this? The guy on the other end took a look and confirmed it was legit - the email was just something about a change of card number of something - but I said to him you know how bad this looks? If legitimate emails are coming from random loving addresses how can anyone have a hope in hell.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my ma thought her gmail had been hacked because they've changed the CSS

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
she thought her phone had been hacked a few months ago but it was just an unsolicited text from someone calling her "mum" and asking her to send them money for a new phone

strangely she was alerted to the fraud because the scammer said they'd dropped their phone in boiling rice and she didn't think me or my sisters eat much rice

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Feeling a bit :tinfoil: now, I got two phishing texts last night within about 10 mins of each other.

happyhippy posted:

Sorry to hear that, loving sucks. Surprised the bank cant get it back.
They absolutely can, they just don't want to take the hit unless it gets traction. You'll notice whenever these stories about an innocent old lady getting scammed out of her husband's war pension start getting traction and someone like Martin Lewis (or Watchdog in the old days) gets involved, there'll suddenly be a grand gesture where they'll give it back 'as a gesture' (as a PR stunt), and nobody ever really questions why an old lady living on her own in a bungalow has or needs 50k kicking around spare in a current account.

Necrothatcher posted:

It would annoy rich people. 90% of the population have no reason to be transferring more than 5k without contacting the bank to prearrange it. The most money I've ever done that with was 5k to pay for my wedding from my parents. My wife putting the down payment on the house involved a day of phonecalls to make sure no fucker at any bank started refusing anything.

EvilHawk posted:

Because I've been on the internet a few times I recongised this as incredibly suspicious so I immediately rang their fraud department asking what the gently caress, did you send this? The guy on the other end took a look and confirmed it was legit - the email was just something about a change of card number of something - but I said to him you know how bad this looks? If legitimate emails are coming from random loving addresses how can anyone have a hope in hell.
I'm currently running the gauntlet of trying to get benefits and they literally phoned me from a hidden number and started asking me a bunch of ID verification questions. I hung up, and had to spend the better part of 3 days trying to get through to various call centres. Eventually got through to find out yes that's how they operate, no there's no way to safely prearrange the verification and also my application had been cancelled for refusing to co-operate.

The email thing is similar to online safety. Used to be you could scriptblock anything that wasn't from the official domain. Now though you have CDNs, cloud providers and a bunch of 3rd party embeds that all look suspiciously like someone's embedded a hostile script into the page.

So many pages that just don't work (especially on mobile) if you switch on any kind of safety feature or script blocking. I loving hate modern web design.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 2, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just been out for a walk, sounded like some rear end in a top hat was tooling around in a V12 with straight pipe exhausts or some poo poo.

Nope, spitfire. Just managed to catch it as it had finished swooping overhead and harassing birds (probably foreign migrant ones).

Comrade Fakename posted:

The April Fools bit was where the theme park for the elderly was only limited to a small area in Kent, rather than the current situation where it spans the entire country.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

EvilHawk posted:

I got an unsolicited email supposedly from my bank (I think) a month or two ago, came from a dodgy email address - something like 09uaskdf.[bank].sdaklfjalsdf@[bank].asdklf.com. It was asking me to click some random embedded link and enter all my details to get access to an email on their secure server. Dodgy as gently caress.

Yeah it's really not great. I had a previous bank call me and ask me to "confirm my identity" by giving them personal information. I told them that they had called me and I wouldn't be doing that. When I rang the bank back I found out it had actually been a legit call (although about something unimportant).

My current bank has the right level of communication - they have contacted me maybe twice by letter for actually important stuff and they send all the messages I couldn't care less about to an inbox on my online account. They've never called. And all online payments use multi-factor authentication.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 2, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/elfbatross/status/1542553571199172614

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/MarkEHigginson/status/1543131615139954688?t=DEbBVsnu5_qWMjUxk6zr4w&s=19

:thunk: we may never know

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

There's a lot to like about this but I think my favourite bit is the "made in china" seal of approval with what appears to be a distinctly non-chinese flag

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was the flag of a bit of China until 1997, so I think it's allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Some great articles on BBC recently. I particularly enjoyed this one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-61495035

quote:

Climate "doomers" believe the world has already lost the battle against global warming. That's wrong - and while that view is spreading online, there are others who are fighting the viral tide.

quote:

But when asked how confident they were that climate action would significantly reduce the effects of global warming, more than half said they had little to no confidence.

Doomism taps into, and exaggerates, that sense of hopelessness. In Charles's case, it all began with a community on Reddit devoted to the potential collapse of civilisation.

"The most apocalyptic language that I would find was actually coming from former climate scientists," Charles says.

:shepicide: