Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for refusing to scam the government with my roommate?

quote:

So a couple of weeks ago my roommate told me she applied for a rental assistance program and that she put down that I live with her and the entire amount of the rent in the application (so both her and my portion). She also failed to report my income. She ended up getting approved and told me that the program would be directly paying the apartment so she would not see a cent of that money.

She told me all of this AFTER she got approved. So I had no say in the matter when she applied. Then she asked me to pay her for my half of the rent. I said are you reimbursing the program for my portion of the rent? She said no. I said then why would I give you that money? Then I would just be paying you... She said "ohh you're right. Well you're welcome."

Fast forward to yesterday and she tells me that I need to start paying her my portion of the rent because she was "awarded" that money and she needs to stand up for herself and not be taken advantage of. I told her that's not fair considering she claimed my half of the expense as her own to get it subsidized by the government and is now trying to pocket extra cash from me.

The purpose of the rental assistance program is to help with cash, not provide her with another source of income for free. She is essentially trying to act as the middle man and have my rent covered by the government without my consent so that she can then pocket my money. I am refusing to participate in this as I believe paying her is not only completely unfair to me but that it would also make me complicit in her defrauding the government. AITA?

How dare you take advantage of me by not giving me free money!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is so easily solved by a simple phone call. As long as she's good with burning that (terrible, bad, poorly made) bridge forever.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

How about a different kind of leftovers drama

AITA for throwing out wife's leftovers?

:guillotine:

Dude ate her leftover pizza and is now doubling down on tossing it so as not to admit he ate her food.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Biplane posted:

This is so easily solved by a simple phone call. As long as she's good with burning that (terrible, bad, poorly made) bridge forever.

I mean if she doesn't then if they're jointly liable for the rent and she knows about this fraud that she is benefiting from because it's paying half the rent bill then she can easily be swept up in the inevitable fraud charge.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alchenar posted:

I mean if she doesn't then if they're jointly liable for the rent and she knows about this fraud that she is benefiting from because it's paying half the rent bill then she can easily be swept up in the inevitable fraud charge.

Yeah that's what I figure, instant nope the moment they're trying something that could blow back on me. The extra greediness gambit was just a fun extra lol on the side.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Here. Actually have some content.

AITA for raining on my brother’s parade?
Posted by
u/No_Salamander8403

NTA. I had parents who did this sort of poo poo ALL THE loving TIME. My father would always favour my brother in all circumstances. When he said he'd teach me and my brother how to ride a bicycle, my brother, being older and more athletic, was able to get it much quicker than I could. Me, being about 5 or 6, was struggling, so he hit me and told me to "gently caress off."

When I got a bunch of presents for my birthday, he just grabbed a bunch of them and gave them to my brother, and told me I had to learn to share. Of course my brother didn't have to "share" his presents with me. Funny that.

After my parents split, and we had our court-ordered visits with that piece of poo poo, it was always "hey, older sibling, where do you want to go." He bought both of us football shirts (Liverpool FC for my bro, Bayern Munich for me), but made sure to tell me that I looked like poo poo in that shirt. You know, that sort of thing. Imagine that happening all. the. loving. time. Every act of kindness is always accompanied by a remark meant to cut me down and make me feel like poo poo.

I have gone complete non-contact with him, and the last thing I said to him was to tell him that I hated his loving guts, and that if I ever run into him, I will gently caress him up. Would you be surprised to learn that he also regularly beat my mother?

Which leads me to:

value-brand cereal posted:

,,AITA for running away when my fiancee got in touch with my mother?
https://www.rareddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/j7uvw9/aita_for_running_away_when_my_fiancee_got_in/ [if anyone wants the comments]

MOTHERFUCK PEOPLE LIKE THIS. Don't loving tell people who've gone non-contact with family members that we have an obligation to forgive them just because we're related. That poo poo happens for a reason, you loving turd. gently caress you, gently caress off, go gently caress yourself.

Captain Hygiene posted:

How about a different kind of leftovers drama

AITA for throwing out wife's leftovers?

:guillotine:

Also, vegetables are icky, so too bad for the wife's other food needs too I guess

One of my best friends has coeliac disease, so I have a good idea of how much of a loving pain it is for someone having to live with that condition. gently caress this loving guy, I hope his wife leaves him. What a loving tosser.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 1, 2022

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Hygiene posted:

On the other hand, lol at putting up with a con and then dropping your monocle in shock when she tries to con you next.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't see what leverage the roommate has to collect with

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Lobe posted:

"I'll take you down with me for not reporting this as soon as you found out."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

She has nothing except a willingness to get in op's face about it. Which is enough to win probably 80% of the time, per the entries in this thread.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The other side of these momma's boys:

[24/m] My mom (44/f) is gonna spend my birthday with her boyfriend and i'm gonna be by myself, which is upsetting for me. Is there anything i can do?

quote:

Keep in mind, i don't really have any friends, it's mostly just me, her and my grandmother. I really want the family to be together but unfortunately, she's spending the day with her boyfriend. WHy? Because he gets 2 days off a week and unfortunately my bday has to be on one of those days. She goes over to his house every week on the same day since he lives so far away, way before i even wake up (6-7 am). So i won't even see her. She won't be here.

She said she might do something with me later but that's days later. It's not the same. It'll just be and and my grandmother but Birthday's are a hard time for me and make me emotional so i prefer to be surrounded by family. Would i be wrong to say something about this? To just spend 1 week not at his house. I know i'm an adult but i don't like spending days like this (IE: holidays and birthdays) alone. I've never had to

Can i do anything? I feel like that'd be crossing a line.

tl;dr: My mom's boyfriend gets 2 days off a week and my mom always spends those days with him, one of those days is on my birthday and she's gonna be in another city and i'm gonna spend my bday all alone. I hate spending holidays by myself. Is there anything i can do? Would it be wrong to ask her not to see him for just one week?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That one's just sad, this guy seems like he's got real social anxiety problems.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

reignonyourparade posted:

Insurance is just gonna sell it for scrap if you really want it they've got no problem deducting the estimated scrap value out of the payout they're giving you.

Yeah this is what the guy says in the comments, he kept the title as a salvage vehicle.

e: whoops that was four pages ago

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for going being upset my wife's boss called her an angel

Good thing you're infertile since you'd be a terrible father

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Serephina posted:

The other side of these momma's boys:

[24/m] My mom (44/f) is gonna spend my birthday with her boyfriend and i'm gonna be by myself, which is upsetting for me. Is there anything i can do?

:(

Hope this guy finds some friends, made me sad.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for using a squirt bottle for cats on my nephew?

quote:

My nephew, Michael, just finished his sophomore year and is fifteen years old. Due to circumstances that I would rather not discuss on Reddit, I am Michael's legal guardian at the moment.

The only real issue I've had with Michael is the fight to get him out of bed every morning on time for school. I made him set an alarm on his phone, but he just about always would turn it off and then sleep in. I would try putting Ravioli, my cat, on his chest, but Michael would just swat her away.

I learned that my sister would oftentimes let Michael lay in until it was eleven, then drop him off at school and lie that she had car troubles so it would be an excused late arrival. It took me throwing off his blankets and physically dragging him out of bed by his foot for Michael to get up.

I was running late for work one morning, and Michael was refusing to get up again. I didn't have time to drag Michael out of bed and I told him this. Michael was not budging, so I grabbed a squirt bottle that I used to house-train my cats, filled it in the sink, and then squirted Michael with it until he got up.

He got out of bed and ran to the bathroom in under thirty seconds. A huge improvement from ten minutes of playing tug-of-war with Michael. I started to use the spray bottle every morning until he actually started using his alarm and getting up on time.

I and Michael were visiting my cousin, Lucinda, and Michael made a joke like "I don't want Uncle Shaun to spray me again." Lucinda asked for elabroation, then scolded me on the way home, saying that using the squirt bottle was "demeaning" to Michael and that I'm treating my nephew like an animal.

I don't see it that way at all. I simply can't drag him out of bed every morning. If we were both a decade younger, it might have been possible. But Michael's fifteen and a big kid at that. Plus, now he's getting up on his own. AITA For using a squirt bottle for cats on Michael.

And he posted cat tax

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the leverage the roommate that is attempting to be fleeced has. All she has to say is no I don't like that I'll call them and tell them I didn't know you didn't put my income down.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

“I’ve been giving her the rent money in cash every month. I had no idea what she was doing”

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for threatening to fire my fiancée

quote:

I (35M) and my fiancé (25F) work at the same bar together. That’s actually how we met was when she started working there 4 years ago. I asked her on a date not long after and we’ve been together ever since.

Currently, my fiancée is 33 weeks pregnant. While I understand working and being on her feet is very hard for her, she just has really dropped the ball at work. Ever since she found out that she’s pregnant she’s been sleeping in, showing up late, missing shifts, trying to leave early, giving away shifts last minute, and just having a bad attitude towards work in general.

Yes it’s difficult for her to work now and she gets tired easily, but I really don’t think it excuses her behavior. She’s been named in multiple negative reviews and it’s been brought up by the owners more than once.

Over the weekend, she was working during brunch and she decided to leave early without being approved to do so. I had to come in to cover her because no one else was available. By time I got there, multiple tables had walked out from waiting for so long since we were understaffed to begin with.

I didn’t get home until late since I was scheduled to close anyways and I was furious. I slept on the couch and when she tried to get me to come to bed I sat her down and told her how she couldn’t pull something like that again, or she would be fired.

She obviously didn’t like this and threw a fit, calling me names and crying about how she needs this job. She ended up going to her friends house for the night. I know she’s going through a lot, but I’m just tired of picking up the slack for her at work. So, AITA?

Hmmm, she's 25, started working 4 years ago... 10 year age difference and her boss....
:thunk:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for using a squirt bottle for cats on my nephew?

And he posted cat tax

A Good Uncle/Foster Dad imo

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hughlander posted:

AITA for threatening to fire my fiancée

Hmmm, she's 25, started working 4 years ago... 10 year age difference and her boss....
:thunk:

Wow

OP posted:

quote:

America hates women.
True it’s really terrible how little jobs do for expecting mothers. There’s barely even maternity leave I don’t understand it

:ironicat:

Reddit's verdict is not enough information

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my brother that he should marry his buddies?

quote:

My brother Kyle married Mia a week ago. Me and Mia are very close to each other and I was very happy to be a family. Mia was very excited and spent a lot of time planning their wedding. The problem is my brother who, despite his age (33), still behaves like a small child, especially if his buddies are nearby. Mia knew about this, so she asked him to act more seriously for just this one day. And I do not mean that they have a straight face all the time, just so that they do not throw food (something like that happened on Mia's birthday). Kyle promised nothing like this would happen. However, of course, he did not keep his promise. During their first dance, Kyle would either shout at his buddies or make silly faces while ignoring Mia all the time. When the cake rolled into the room, he and his friends took a handful of cake and threw it at her, destroying her dress and makeup. Already then I saw that she was close to crying. I wanted to yell at my brother, but Mia stopped me and said that if I wanted to do something for her, I could help her fix her makeup and hair. It is worth mentioning that Mia has practically no contact with her family because most of them are toxic and controlling, so she still needs the help of a psychologist. So he is a very submissive person who is afraid to oppose others and I knew my brother was taking advantage of it. When me and Mia returned to the room, we noticed that my brother and his friends were gone. So I asked my mother if she knew where they were, she said that they went to the beach because they were bored. Then I couldn't stand it anymore. I went outside and called my brother. We started arguing and under the influence of emotions I told him not to waste Mia's time and just to marry his buddies. At that point he disconnected and did not speak to me for the next 5 hours. His friend said I overdid it and I should apologize to him.

Edit: after reading your answers, he talked to Mia and asked if he still wanted to be with my brother. She said she doesn't really know herself but is afraid of being left alone. I assured her that both me and the rest of the family would support her. Everyone loves me very much. Throughout the time she went with my brother, she helped each of the family, for example, helped to prepare dinners, cleaned and sometimes even looked after the children. Even my mother for whom Kyle couldn't do anything wrong is pissed at him. Kyle still believes he didn't do anything wrong and blames Mia for "turning his family against him." I suggested that she stay with me in the apartment for a while because he and Mia share their apartment. After some thought, she agreed and soon we are going there to take her things.

Good family, poo poo brother.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AngryRobotsInc posted:

A child who is specifically conceived through IVF, using genetic compatibility testing, to provide organ or cell transplants for their sibling. It is extremely hosed up.

I can kind of understand how parents would go for that if it meant saving their child's life. What I don't understand is how it's possible to not love this donor child at least as much as the first one. I guess it's the difference between seeing the second child as a second child that helped save her brother's life, and seeing her as a means to saving the older child who now has to be taken care of for 18 years? Second one just seems really sociopathic to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I can kind of understand how parents would go for that if it meant saving their child's life. What I don't understand is how it's possible to not love this donor child at least as much as the first one. I guess it's the difference between seeing the second child as a second child that helped save her brother's life, and seeing her as a means to saving the older child who now has to be taken care of for 18 years? Second one just seems really sociopathic to me.

Unfortunately the attitude can be very much 'we need an accessory to maintain our precious doll'. You've been reading this thread long enough to know how many parents consider their children to be property.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my brother that he should marry his buddies?

Good family, poo poo brother.

Weird as gently caress pronoun use though.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Runcible Cat posted:

Weird as gently caress pronoun use though.

"after reading your answers, he talked to Mia and asked if he still wanted to be with my brother. She said she doesn't really know herself but is afraid of being left alone. I assured her that both me and the rest of the family would support her. Everyone loves me very much."

Usually I can muddle my way through the typo-ridden poor writing and figure out what someone was trying to say, but this is approaching pure gibberish.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I just assumed it was AI generated :shrug:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Castaign posted:

"after reading your answers, [w]e talked to Mia and asked if [s]he still wanted to be with my brother. She said she doesn't really know herself but is afraid of being left alone. I assured her that both me and the rest of the family would support her. Everyone loves m[ia] very much."

Definitely bizarre, maybe they were using voice texting?

I like reading this thread because it reminds me that at least I'm not some of these gently caress ups, but it also makes me wonder how half of them manage to find partners/get married. I guess at least I have standards?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I did audibly laugh when I originally read "Everybody loves me very much"

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (M36) influencer GF (F35) is locked in the bathroom and won't leave until I apologize, I don't know what she wants me to apologize for. She is sharing the situation with her audience.

quote:

We were eating lunch in our living room. I (M36) told her(F35) me and some buddies(M38 & M32) were gonna drive(Ford Fiesta stick shift) down to the beach to paddle board. Her facial expressions suddenly changed, told me I was being very hurtful and non inclusive. Side note, she is a bit to the heavy side(BMI of 37) which I don't mind at all. We then got into an argument where she got more and more upset, talking about how I am insensitive to her anxiety. I then got mad because I have been dealing with social anxiety and depression for the last couple of years, and I feel like I am very aware of people's mental health.

She ran to the bathroom and locked herself in.

I can see on her Instagram(11K followers), that she is talking about the episode on her story. She said something along the lines of "when your boyfriend says a trigger you didn't even realize you had. I always say sorry, but this time I want an apology".

What did I do wrong, how should I proceed? I guess I should apologize, partly because I really need to go to the bathroom. But I don't think I really did anything wrong?

TL:DR my GF is locked in the bathroom and won't come out until bi apologize, I don't know what she wants me to apologize for.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it sounds like he knows why she's locked in the bathroom, but taking at face value, lol if the concept of moving under muscle power triggers you because... you're aware of being overweight but not even that badly by American standards? or being upset that your boyfriend has friends and is telling you his plans, which is kind of even funnier but also sadder if we take her... Instagram stream preaching or whatever at face value also

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

took me twice to read that she felt they weren't being inclusive because of the paddle boarding and not because she was too fat to fit in a ford fiesta.

edit: wait I'm not even sure that's it

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 2, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Goddamn between "everyone loves me very much" and "I should apologize, partly because I really need to go to the bathroom" we got done good thread titles this morning.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

That reminds me- when abusive people use (self-) therapy as a tool or justification for their abusive behaviour, is that still weaponised therapy or is that term only ever used for when an abuser manipulates their therapist into it? What do you call it when someone incorporates the language and justification of therapy/self-help into their abuse

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure 11k followers means she's not even wealthy, what other possible reason would you stay with someone who openly gaslights you for their Instagram account? Jesus Christ.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whorelord posted:

took me twice to read that she felt they weren't being inclusive because of the paddle boarding and not because she was too fat to fit in a ford fiesta.

edit: wait I'm not even sure that's it

i really can't tell if she's supposed to be mad for, but the only reason I can think of that's not really stupid is not bothering to invite her, although... telling a good friend about my plans, especially a girlfriend, is pretty much an implicit invitation unless it's some kind of close family function. and even then it probably still is.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I did audibly laugh when I originally read "Everybody loves me very much"

yeah it's definitely meant to be "everyone loves Mia very much", along with the muddled pronouns voice-to-text could be the answer.

Also I LOVE stories where a family gets to trade a toxic fail-child for a lovely ex-spouse-of-fail-child, cutting the former out of their life when they mistreat the latter.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

The Bramble posted:

My (M36) influencer GF (F35) is locked in the bathroom and won't leave until I apologize, I don't know what she wants me to apologize for. She is sharing the situation with her audience.
I (M36) told her(F35) me and some buddies(M38 & M32) were gonna drive(Ford Fiesta stick shift)

Didn't give the age of the Fiesta, reported to mods.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can buy 11,000 followers for like 20 bucks in an afternoon, and so help me if it gets somebody out of the toilet I need to use I'll spend double

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do you think he says (Ford Fiesta stick shift) every time he mentions his car in real life too?