Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fellblade posted:

Some real dumb hot takes like I am saying losing is bad and shouldn’t be in games.

The game presents you with a choice, you pick an option and lose the game. That tells the user they made the wrong choice.

So you play again and maybe get into the same spot, you pick the other option this time and lose the game. What the gently caress?

This is confusing for users without an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game to know that the events hours in the past probably led to this, is that so confusing?

I am not saying remove it from the game, I am just stating that is a situation you should try to anticipate and avoid when designing game mechanics.

i feel like users very new to the game will understand that if they did not prepare for a country the game is signalling wants to eat you, when an event fires saying "hey do u want to get eaten or try to fight them off", their reaction won't be surprise and wondering which option to pick, it will be "oh poo poo this is do or die now, huh". jesus christ. expecting the people who play vicky 3 to have a 5 second memory is almost insulting to Paradox gamers, and that's.. really saying something lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It's such a weird outside case, that someone entirely new to paradox games starts up the game, ignores all the signage pointing them towards powerful nations, lacks any historical/intuitive knowledge about what nations are going to be stronger than other, turns on ironman, and then rather then being unceremoniously conquered by their powerful neighbour is vassalised (does the A.I ever even pick that peace option?), and after all that is surprised that their campaign ends poorly.

Like i'm sure this has happened, but the odds of it occuring regularly has to be pretty low.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It'd be kinda cool if V3 had some evolved version of being a CK style vassal when you get annexed with some additional gameplay. Like you control your own military to help the AI overlord out, like how a bunch of German states technically still had their own militaries. So you're still kinda playing like as an independent but you got much better protection from being a part of a larger whole. Kinda like being a governor in Stellar Monarch but 19th century instead. Maybe your goal once annexed is to try to re-gain your independence?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It'd be kinda cool if V3 had some evolved version of being a CK style vassal when you get annexed with some additional gameplay. Like you control your own military to help the AI overlord out, like how a bunch of German states technically still had their own militaries. So you're still kinda playing like as an independent but you got much better protection from being a part of a larger whole. Kinda like being a governor in Stellar Monarch but 19th century instead. Maybe your goal once annexed is to try to re-gain your independence?

Isn't that just like the various degrees of vassalage that V3 does have?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Every US state its own playable country.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Vagabong posted:

It's such a weird outside case, that someone entirely new to paradox games starts up the game, ignores all the signage pointing them towards powerful nations, lacks any historical/intuitive knowledge about what nations are going to be stronger than other, turns on ironman, and then rather then being unceremoniously conquered by their powerful neighbour is vassalised (does the A.I ever even pick that peace option?), and after all that is surprised that their campaign ends poorly.

Like i'm sure this has happened, but the odds of it occuring regularly has to be pretty low.

Slam pick Albania in every game where it is an option always

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Slam pick Albania in every game where it is an option always

Slam picks Albania cranks the sim speed to max, goes and gets a hotdog

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Every US state its own playable country.

Goon challenge: making Mississippi not the worst state in the union.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Goon challenge: making Mississippi not the worst state in the union.

You win the second California gains statehood

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

You win the second California gains statehood

They have a cool flag though.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I mean you folks can believe your ‘feelings’ on the matter and I guess I’ll continue believing the actual humans this happened to and we can go on living our lives.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

I mean you folks can believe your ‘feelings’ on the matter and I guess I’ll continue believing the actual humans this happened to and we can go on living our lives.
Most of us still don't even understand what you're on about so sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I believe those humans you speak if exist, even if I don’t exactly know what your talking about. But I do not think a game should be balanced around that. Unless you personally know thousands of people this happened to.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
People who went surprised_pikachu.jpg when they got a game over in a video game are lucky to have a staunch ally in you, I guess?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Fellblade posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellblade posted:

Losing at a video game isn't a traumatic experience, on paradox games it's just something that happens when you're learning the ropes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I started as a one-province-minor next to a famously expansionist great power, this proved to be a challenge for me so I'm never playing the game again and have very possibly lost my ability to feel human.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mans posted:

Losing at a video game isn't a traumatic experience

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be fair, "people picking extremely bad nations as a new player" is a problem that Paradox games have had in the past, but that's why they've had recommended nations for like half a dozen titles now. Designers can only idiot-proof a game so much and if a player is dead set on stepping on their own dick, it doesn't make sense to strip mechanics out of the game in the hopes of preventing them from doing it. Diplo annexing exists because it's a thing people want to do to other nations. The fact that it can happen to you is a necessary consequence of that. The fact that it can't happen to you unless you explicitly consent to it is the concession made to player agency.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Getting my rear end handed to me for tens to hundreds of hours is what made eu4 enjoyable for me when it did click

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

have very possibly lost my ability to feel human.

If you still feel human you're not playing enough Paradox games.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Fellblade posted:

Ok

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm not even sure I understand the complaint that this argument is about. Every German minor fighting to the death to avoid unification would be both ahistorical and not fun for the one unifying Germany (which is the role players are far, far more likely to take than "German minor that gets annexed to form Germany"). Not saying ahistorical things shouldn't happen, but historical-ish outcomes should be what the game's systems are oriented towards.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 1, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pakled posted:

I'm not even sure I understand the complaint that this argument is about. Every German minor fighting to the death to avoid unification would be both ahistorical and not fun for the one unifying Germany (which is the role players are far, far more likely to take than "German minor that gets annexed to form Germany"). Not saying ahistorical things shouldn't happen, but historical-ish outcomes should be what the game's systems are oriented towards.

And isn't it all a moot point because a dev diary showed a popup that was basically "Do you want to tag switch to the new overlord"?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

And isn't it all a moot point because a dev diary showed a popup that was basically "Do you want to tag switch to the new overlord"?

Which is kinda funny. "Great job unifying Germany, Bismarck. Now I can make the Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe the Chancellor like I always wanted!".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Can you provide a specific example of the events that led up to someone accidentally getting diploannexed? Because as it is, the reason people are bringing up quote unquote feelings is because they've got nothing to go on here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fellblade posted:

I run an emotional support group for people who fel off a platform in Mario, if you want to join, I'm sure we'd be able to accommodate you

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

steinrokkan posted:

I run an emotional support group for people who fel off a platform in Mario, if you want to join, I'm sure we'd be able to accommodate you

Do you have one for people who got eaten by piranha plants that pop up from pipes? Asking for a friend.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Victoria 3: I mean you folks can believe your ‘feelings’ on the matter

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Victoria 3: Factories don't care about your feelings

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

Victoria 3: Factories don't care about your feelings
Maybe they just need time to process them. :v:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You think it isn't an issue but then famous youtuber KootzPlays tries to start an epic V3 Hanover series and gets his followers to review bomb the game after he helps Prussia annex himself.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Fray posted:

Isn't that just like the various degrees of vassalage that V3 does have?

Yeah I thought this was why Vic 3 has varying levels of autonomy for vassals. So you can play as European colonies and trade companies, and also do historically accurate things like play a non-european country and beg the British to make you a protectorate so you don't get annexed by the French, or vice versa.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1544344311428698112

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm glad Afganistan doesnt have their little panhandle that the British and Russians agreed to give to the Afgans in the late 1800s so that their (Russia & English India) borders would not officially touch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 5, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do they have a good Wool industry? Then you can play Hide and Sikh.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

m...mods?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Spoilers please for upcoming achievements