Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I knew it! :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

also if you really are ebaum we exchanged some pretty nasty emails about 20 years ago

lol no
I got this username in a name change thread years ago

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah they explicitly lay that out actually. i think its probably a legal cya but it's still interesting; when they do the conversion, what happens if there isn't enough liquidity to actually make that happen?

the most obvious immediate answer is that in that scenario coinbase would be bankrupt, so the entire thing is moot. but imo that looks like they're trying to shift liability

Coinbase likely only authorizes charges that are covered for 120% in crypto.
so let's say the processor sends them a 'the charge is $18. authorize?' message.
coinbase checks if the user has at least $22 worth or crypto. if so, they send a 'yes' back, immediately take the crypto out of the account at a rate that is very favorable to them, sell it. they can sell it on the actual market that they control, or they can buy it themselves, because of course there's no split between the prop trading desk, the exchange and the debit card department.
the money gets entered on the invoice for the end of the month: 'coinbase owes metabank $18 (minus part of the interchange and processor fees and whatnot)'

that's kind of the beauty in issuing these as debit cards rather than credit cards. there's no risk. if the balance isn't sufficient, the charge doesn't get authorized. if the api call times out before coinbase sends yes, the charge doesn't get authorized.
the one risk, and that's for the merchant if they're stupid, is with actual offline transactions. the ones where a shopkeeper says 'I'll just write down your cc# and charge you later' (because there's a power outage or whatever. this is getting super rare). those kinds of operations are still possible, and they'll probably get rejected because the card settings don't allow offline transactions, or the balance is simply gone because Joe Bitcoiner already knows what's up and would actually like to double spend his btc irl

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 2, 2022

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
why isnt my butts fdic insured

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
to be fair to bitcon it is incredible how many idiots exist in this day and age, truly a momentous time to be a scam

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:gerard: posted:

On Friday, July 1, Voyager announced it was “temporarily suspending trading, deposits, withdrawals and loyalty rewards.” [Voyager, archive; WSJ]

How screwed is Voyager? Three-quarters of their assets — about $600 to $700 million in BTC and USDC owed by 3AC — are missing. [Press release; Yahoo Finance]

please, David, the SA-approved terminology is "away from them" (including the quotes)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
How dong-razzled is Voyager? Three-quarters of their "assets" — about $600 to $700 million in BTC and USDC owed by 3AC — are "away from them". [Press release; Yahoo Finance]

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
https://twitter.com/coinfessions/status/1541360691755507717

i hope this one is real

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

if it's any consolation to that coincel, that guy is gonna get liquidated as well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

please be true.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I WANT TO BELIEVE

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hammerite posted:

How dong-razzled is Voyager? Three-quarters of their "assets" — about $600 to $700 million in BTC and USDC owed by 3AC — are "away from them". [Press release; Yahoo Finance]

Amy and I has written up precisely how FDICked Voyager is for your delight, including the exact law they're playing fast and loose with.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

divabot posted:

Amy and I has written up precisely how FDICked Voyager is for your delight, including the exact law they're playing fast and loose with.

quote:

In the Q3 2022 earnings call, voyager CEO Steve Ehrlich said:

Ehrlich is German for "honest".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Honest Steve's bitcoin storage. "We "won't" "steal" "your" "money""

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
NOOOOOOOOOO

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

FDIC insured? No, risk!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Splicer posted:

“we” “will” “make” “it” “away” “from” “you”

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

look, just that your money is "away" from you does not mean it's still not "your" money

having written this sentence and reread it i have no idea what it really means

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

divabot posted:

holy poo poo lol

feels like voyager's marketing what even more misleading than celsius and that's wild

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Booyah- posted:

holy poo poo lol

feels like voyager's marketing what even more misleading than celsius and that's wild

Well, the people at its subreddit are even dumber than the ones at celsius' and that's saying something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so i was coming up with a list of crypto businesses that might be the next one to fall and had a question: are there any crypto exchanges that are known to invest their cryptocurrency reserves? it would seem like "free money" if you're a crypto exchange - why not take all the crypto that you have waiting around for someone to redeem, put it in a rock-solid investment like celsius, and pocket the interest?

and then, you know, suddenly they have a shortfall. it seems like the sort of thing that would happen but do we know if it's happened?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

do none of these idiots understand fractional reserve banking?

it means all their money was stolen the moment they handed it over, because these crypto ponzis aren't banks, because banks don't promise double-digit interest on deposits

the very best bits lately are reading about what people think FDIC insurance is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VoyagerExc...utm_name=iossmf

divabot posted:

divabots got this. it’s amazing that now the rallying cry is ‘not your key not your crypto’ essentially ignoring all the systemic issues that created exchanges in the first place. it really is baby’s first finance speed run.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 2, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

the very best bits lately are reading about what people think FDIC insurance is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VoyagerExc...utm_name=iossmf

there's a similar slap fight happening in the bfc bad with money thread right now.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

HolHorsejob posted:

do none of these idiots understand fractional reserve banking?

it means all their money was stolen the moment they handed it over, because these crypto ponzis aren't banks, because banks don't promise double-digit interest on deposits

what’s wrong with 30% - 70% APR?
https://defirate.com/lend/

MKR and EOS huh? i wonder why bitfinex offers premium rates on those but not the other ones. a few days ago it was only 50% APR

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

crypto that you have waiting around for someone to redeem

i mean crypto is stupid as hell, but i dont think the point of an exchange is to have their own crypto just hanging out there. like ny stock exchange itself doesn't own stock either - they just make it possible to trade the stock and make their money from taking a cut from each sale. also its kind of important for an exchange to be impartial to whats being traded (this is not true for crypto of course)

that said, absolutely the people who run the exchanges are leveraged into this system, and hey many exchanges have their own token too that can be staked or whatever. and maybe the most insane example is the tether stablecoin that's curiously tied to some big and prominent crypto exchange but i forget which one and i am thankful because i dont need this poo poo clogging my brain

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
well the thing with bitcoin is it's bad, so in order to use an exchange you have to give them all of your money and hope they can give it back when you want to take it out

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Boxturret posted:

well the thing with bitcoin is it's bad, so in order to use an exchange you have to give them all of your money and hope they can give it back when you want to take it out

that's why it's called an exchange! you get nothing for something! win win!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

4lokos basilisk posted:

i mean crypto is stupid as hell, but i dont think the point of an exchange is to have their own crypto just hanging out there. like ny stock exchange itself doesn't own stock either - they just make it possible to trade the stock and make their money from taking a cut from each sale. also its kind of important for an exchange to be impartial to whats being traded (this is not true for crypto of course)

The traditional financial world separates exchanges and brokers, but in the crypto world they're conflated, so customers have accounts at exchanges that they need to load up with dollars/bitcoins before they can trade, and since it's a pita to actually move the money they often let it sit around after

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

there's a similar slap fight happening in the bfc bad with money thread right now.

it’s just someone trying real hard to not say “sheeple”

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
yeah actually moving crypto on the blockchain is a pain in the rear end and actually costs a lot in fees as well so i believe most exchanges hold customer's coins in giant wallets and you have to withdraw them explicitly to your own wallet if you want to get them off the exchange.

i believe some smaller ones already went tits up. there was one called "hoo" that i think stopped withdrawals, trying to remember if there were others.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

4lokos basilisk posted:

that said, absolutely the people who run the exchanges are leveraged into this system, and hey many exchanges have their own token too that can be staked or whatever. and maybe the most insane example is the tether stablecoin that's curiously tied to some big and prominent crypto exchange but i forget which one and i am thankful because i dont need this poo poo clogging my brain

no you misunderstand: the exchange loans the crypto you put on it without telling you and collects the interest for itself

it's not the point of an exchange but I feel like several had to have had that bright idea

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
linked from the previous david G article:

quote:

The Ethereum blockchain has been clogged to unusability since 2017, so you have to guess a high enough transaction fee to get your transaction through today. This NFT buyer’s transaction fee was low enough that the transaction took three days to go through — but at least it did eventually go through, and they secured ownership of their NFT.

The NFT and the ether they had left over from this exercise are sitting there in their Metamask. Moving the ether out would be another expensive transaction — today’s average fee is $20.71, it was $60 a couple of days ago [YCharts, archive] — so they’re just going to give the recipient the Metamask wallet, private keys and all. With some ether that’s too small a quantity to move out of the wallet.

If a normal person trying to use Ethereum guesses wrong about today’s transaction fee, the transaction fails and their fee literally goes up in smoke. If your Ethereum transaction fails, then the ETH or the NFT doesn’t move — but you still lose the fee. Because it’s a computation that failed.

So try again! But guess a bit higher or something.

it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

no you misunderstand: the exchange loans the crypto you put on it without telling you and collects the interest for itself

it's not the point of an exchange but I feel like several had to have had that bright idea

look pirateat40 promised me 8% returns and you'd have t ok be insane to not invest

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

https://twitter.com/coinfessions/status/1542871031936851975

At least you're getting in shape and you can run away from the crime scene faster.
Here comes the hotStepNer (murderer)
I'm the lyrical bitster (murderer)
Pick up the runs in-a de area (murderer)
Still rug pull like that (murderer)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone want to bet on a sharp holiday weekend dive tomorrow or Monday? I'm thinking Sunday night EDT.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

so i was coming up with a list of crypto businesses that might be the next one to fall and had a question: are there any crypto exchanges that are known to invest their cryptocurrency reserves? it would seem like "free money" if you're a crypto exchange - why not take all the crypto that you have waiting around for someone to redeem, put it in a rock-solid investment like celsius, and pocket the interest?

and then, you know, suddenly they have a shortfall. it seems like the sort of thing that would happen but do we know if it's happened?

Bitfinex's customer deposits are almost certainly a huge chunk of the "collateral" backing tether.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
so this is StepN:

quote:

STEPN is a Web3 lifestyle app with Social-Fi and Game-Fi elements. Users equipped with NFT Sneakers – walk, jog or run outdoors to earn tokens and NFTs. STEPN has a dual-token system.🏃🏾🏃‍♀️🏃🏻‍♂️ Player can choose to lease or trade their NFT Sneakers on the in-app Marketplace; users’ earnings are stored in the in-app Wallet, which has a built-in Swap function.🏃🏾🏃‍♀️🏃🏻‍♂️

words fail me

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I lease some expensive NFT sneakers to run faster.

I like the legendary Sneaker of Jordan (RoJ), which offers +1 to All Skills, +25% Mana, +1-12 Dribbling Damage and +20 Speed

Normally I slot them with perfect topazes for the +24% to magic find. But skulls are also fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trucutru posted:

Sometimes I lease some expensive NFT sneakers to run faster.

I like the legendary Sneaker of Jordan (RoJ), which offers +1 to All Skills, +25% Mana, +1-12 Dribbling Damage and +20 Speed

Normally I slot them with perfect topazes for the +24% to magic find. But skulls are also fine.

is this the one where you can have your shoes gently caress to make new shoes or was that some other idea. i can't keep this poo poo straight sometimes.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

trucutru posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dipping my jordans in slurp juice to make baby shoes versions of them