Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
12's mechanics genuinely feel like they thought of the gambit system first and then realized writing AI scripts is something you usually have to pay a person to do so they had to simplify basically every part of the game's mechanics to make it so people wouldn't realize what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

isn't FF9's ending just "guy gets girl" with a few where-are-they-now interludes on the way

star ocean 3 ended with the characters cogito-ergo-summing an entire universe out of nowhere, i don't see the comparison

Yeah I'm not following that one at all. FF9's ending was great!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really loved FFXII, warts and all, for what it’s worth. I understand why people might not like it but hey! Variety is the spice of life

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

isn't FF9's ending just "guy gets girl" with a few where-are-they-now interludes on the way

that cut together with Vivi's letter which made everyone cry

vivi is one of those guys who makes me think about how easy it is to gently caress up child party members in RPGs and how hard they are to get right

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The number of random battles that you had to wake up for in all the previous FF games is very very small and FF12 has them too. Much like it's predecessors they are in optional or late game areas. poo poo you had to fly a spaceship to a small island cut off from the world to fight them in ff8

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

The number of random battles that you had to wake up for in all the previous FF games is very very small and FF12 has them too. Much like it's predecessors they are in optional or late game areas. poo poo you had to fly a spaceship to a small island cut off from the world to fight them in ff8

*laughs in disintegrator*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

yeah even just canned quips like in FF7r
cloud: "keep your guard up"
tifa: "sure thing, coach"
adds something to running around killing mooks

Its such a small detail but even repeated little mini quips makes the party feel more like a party. Im not expecting you know 1,000 variations or whatever but like, come on SE, Bandai Namco has been stuffing 100+ skits into their games for decades you can do this with 5 times their budget.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Dignity posted:

'20% chance of appearing in the rare mild rain weather condition when the sign of Aries is waxing and the moons are in alignment'.

this is the kind of poo poo that would be cool if we lived in Tad Williams' Otherland and VR MMOs were basically alternate lives you lived in completely fleshed out realistic game worlds. Yeah, it'd be totally sick if you were restless one night and went for a walk in mild rain through some area outside your homestead and one minute you're looking up at the stars and moons just admiring them through cloudy patches, then you hear a snap and there's some rare monster skulking around that you've never seen or heard of before, and you've been through this area hundreds of times. Wow cool, you have a truly rare and unique experience by chance, makes the world feel a little bit more magical, personal, real.

We have nothing close to that and never will, and in this particular case it's a single-player game and these are basic quests anybody is gonna wanna get done and the requirements they set-up are all really pain-in-the-rear end chores mixed with RNG.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

9's ending is the culmination of every major theme in the game about finding joy in life and the acceptance of death as part of that and how we can leave the world better than we found it and every character arc that lead to that. It's a beautiful and concise thesis statement on what the game believes to be loving and hopeful aspect of the human spirit.

This is like saying the end of There Will Be Blood is just a guy getting mad about bowling.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mega64 posted:

If a game can be defined by bad minigames then the worst FF is 10.

I guess that makes VIII the best.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm at the point where trying to rank the FFs in any kind of sensible order is a fool's errand, since most of them have some kind of deeper personal attachment that isn't necessarily relatable to the game itself. Like FF4 is one of my earliest gaming memories, because I was 5 or 6 I went with my parents to the home of a friend of theirs, and they had an older son who had just picked up FF4 (2 at the time, of course) that day and was about to start a new game. I had never encountered a JRPG before. The closest thing I can think of that I had experienced prior was like, maybe, Legacy of the Wizard? Which isn't that close at all. But watching him fight the Mist Dragon was like a revelation, and most importantly, the battle music for the boss stuck hard in my head. When he got to the village of Mist and the package burst open and burned the town down I got absolutely terrified and started crying, and they had to take me away from the game or turn it off or something, because that was my last memory of it, but man, it made a huge impression on me. I forgot entirely what the game was called until a few years later when my friend was playing Super Mario RPG and got to the Culex fight, and when I heard that music it broke open the floodgates of memory and I suddenly made a larger connection between the notion of a publisher like Squaresoft referencing its own games and the concept of a broader "universe" of RPGs. I can't remember if I had played FF6 by this point or not, and I think I may have played Mystic Quest either just before or just after rediscovering FF4.

All that is to say that, obviously, FF4 has a huge personal thing for me from my childhood, so in terms of personal importance and general nostalgia I'd have to rank it high, even though I think that as a game it's probably in the bottom half of the FFs 1-10 golden age (I never played 12 or beyond, so I don't really think of ones beyond 10)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

that blue mage skill being OP to a ridiculous degree is points in ff8's favor

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Heath posted:

All that is to say that, obviously, FF4 has a huge personal thing for me from my childhood, so in terms of personal importance and general nostalgia I'd have to rank it high, even though I think that as a game it's probably in the bottom half of the FFs 1-10 golden age (I never played 12 or beyond, so I don't really think of ones beyond 10)

I learned to read to play FF4 but I don't think it's even top 10 at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

9's ending is the culmination of every major theme in the game about finding joy in life and the acceptance of death as part of that and how we can leave the world better than we found it and every character arc that lead to that. It's a beautiful and concise thesis statement on what the game believes to be loving and hopeful aspect of the human spirit.

This is like saying the end of There Will Be Blood is just a guy getting mad about bowling.

if you'll read the second half of my post, i was evaluating the two of them against each other in terms of scope and content, not theme (because star ocean loses that contest by default)

i'm aware of the angle ff9 takes, it's not like vivi alone doesn't make it clear enough

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

if you'll read the second half of my post, i was evaluating the two of them against each other in terms of scope and content, not theme (because star ocean loses that contest by default)

i'm aware of the angle ff9 takes, it's not like vivi alone doesn't make it clear enough

It's a stupid level of splitting hairs to split how the work is wrapping up its themes from the content of the ending, because that's what the content of endings is made to do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes and its completely ruined by how before this sweet post script you literally fight death after arguing with 2 dudes who gasp dislike death.

This is exactly as on the nose as that time SO was like "you aren't real" "our experiences are just as real as anything! *party becomes real because every body believed* "gently caress em up team!"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
As long as we can all come together to say Star Ocean sucks

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

thetoughestbean posted:

As long as we can all come together to say Star Ocean sucks

SO2 was alright, I think

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

zedprime posted:

Yes and its completely ruined by how before this sweet post script you literally fight death after arguing with 2 dudes who gasp dislike death.

This is exactly as on the nose as that time SO was like "you aren't real" "our experiences are just as real as anything! *party becomes real because every body believed* "gently caress em up team!"

nah

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I don't know how many people think Suddenly Necron is really good, but I'd say most people think of Kuja as the actually final boss wrt the story. Necron is more like okay let's see if you taught your people the rare resists from equips you got 40 hours ago

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

drat this fairy tale inspired game whose finale is set in the most fantastical dream realm ends on a fanciful manifestation of the theme. drat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I tried SO2 on PSP and I stalled out when I realized I was never gonna get my ocean of stars.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
necron is basically a universal reaper who comes to collect after kuja smashes the world-soul in a fit of pique. the party defeating him doesn't mean they're repudiating death, it means they'd prefer to live and die rather than just die

even necron doesn't seem that put out by it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

3PR is easily the best of the NES era and is just a rung below 5 and 6.

It takes obvious inspiration from Dragon Quest 3 with things like: multiple world maps, optional areas, optional bosses, and an involved job system. The aesthetic is a lot more interesting since they're not riffing off D&D or Star Wars this time. Its easy to see why XIV so heavily builds on it.

Combat has more flavor and the level design is far more merciful and linear.The PR version is the best port since it shaves off all the annoyances and has a staggering OST with hits like Eternal Wind, Aria, Doga & Unei, and Ending theme part 2.

The DS version was poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 2, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I played the fan translation of 3 as a teen and I loved it even then, and the PR really elevates it. The DS remake really is a disservice to the game in every respect

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I definitely used guides to get through the giant crystal and the Pharos Ascents, I have no loving clue how anyone would figure a lot of this poo poo out with out them. I also do not have a lot of the items guides suggest for these fights (Regen! Bubble Belts!)

Hashmal is mean but I still got him pretty low on my first attempt, so I am optimistic that I will beat him relatively quickly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i somehow got through Postgame Great Crystal 2: Crystal Harder and then decided enough was enough

and not just because i used all my megalixers on the boss

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

3PR is easily the best of the NES era and is just a rung below 5 and 6.

It takes obvious inspiration from Dragon Quest 3 with things like: multiple world maps, optional areas, optional bosses, and an involved job system. The aesthetic is a lot more interesting since they're not riffing off D&D or Star Wars this time. Its easy to see why XIV so heavily builds on it.

Combat has more flavor and the level design is far more merciful and linear.The PR version is the best port since it shaves off all the annoyances and has a staggering OST with hits like Eternal Wind, Aria, Doga & Unei, and Ending them part 2.

The DS version was poo poo.

FF3DS is a good game, actually. It’s much maligned because it tries to be difficult in annoying ways but if you’re good at video games like me it’s not a big deal.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its such a small detail but even repeated little mini quips makes the party feel more like a party. Im not expecting you know 1,000 variations or whatever but like, come on SE, Bandai Namco has been stuffing 100+ skits into their games for decades you can do this with 5 times their budget.

GloomMouse posted:

yeah even just canned quips like in FF7r
cloud: "keep your guard up"
tifa: "sure thing, coach"
adds something to running around killing mooks

This cannot be stressed enough. FFXII was so different for me when I first played it so that kept my interest. But I've played Dragon Age Origins since and it's better in every conceivable way. So now that FFXII isn't special, I just compare it to X or XIII, both of which put infinitely more effort into giving your party interactions and relationships and personality.

The soulless meandering of XII is unbearable. If it didn't have good music, it would be pure torture.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The soulless meandering of XII is unbearable. If it didn't have good music, it would be pure torture.

While I personally don't think it's that bad, it would have been lovely to get even like one lore bit when moving through an area. Then you could ruminate on it while doing the rpg mook slaughter.

Balthier: "You know in the past, the Urutan-Yensa were known as the Vath. There's a prophecy that one day some big birds and flying rats will teach them a silly dance"
Fran: "Balthier you're drunk"

Remembering the audio compression I don't know if they even had space for it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFXII had an open interconnected world, and was crammed into a single 4.7 gig ISO. Something had to give.

Maybe if was built for the PS3 in its original release it might have been smoother.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

GloomMouse posted:

While I personally don't think it's that bad, it would have been lovely to get even like one lore bit when moving through an area. Then you could ruminate on it while doing the rpg mook slaughter.

Balthier: "You know in the past, the Urutan-Yensa were known as the Vath. There's a prophecy that one day some big birds and flying rats will teach them a silly dance"
Fran: "Balthier you're drunk"

Remembering the audio compression I don't know if they even had space for it.

The important thing is that Fran should also be drunk here

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

FF3DS is a good game, actually. It’s much maligned because it tries to be difficult in annoying ways but if you’re good at video games like me it’s not a big deal.

Being good as in "Lucking out that that any give boss pass hour 4 didn't just roll randomly and decide to full wipe you no reaction possible."

It's dogshit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FFII is a game where roughly 75% of the rooms in dungeons are empty and identical squares you get teleported to the middle of so you have to fight a random battle on the way out as punishment for daring to look for treasure or anything remotely interesting

god I hate FFII

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cool secret in FF12: They built the entirety of FF11's endgame into it as an easter egg

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I definitely used guides to get through the giant crystal and the Pharos Ascents, I have no loving clue how anyone would figure a lot of this poo poo out with out them. I also do not have a lot of the items guides suggest for these fights (Regen! Bubble Belts!)

Hashmal is mean but I still got him pretty low on my first attempt, so I am optimistic that I will beat him relatively quickly.

But then I just summoned.... what's her name, the weird horse-esque lady and she melted Hashmal enough that a well-executed and lucky quickening chain deleted him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I beat the Zodiac Age with every mark defeated, and I still have no idea how quickenings work. Just a bunch of adults pretending to be Naruto, and the enemies die from witnessing second-hand embarrassment.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I beat the Zodiac Age with every mark defeated, and I still have no idea how quickenings work. Just a bunch of adults pretending to be Naruto, and the enemies die from witnessing second-hand embarrassment.

You’re playing a final fantasy video game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair there are a lot of games that are so easy or you can just out grind you never have to actually engage it’s mechanics.

I beat Xenoblade 1 and I only barely understand what that game was about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Quickenings are the absolute worst in every way but I especially hate them for clearly being elemental attacks but doing no elemental damage.