Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

and nobody ever really questions why an old lady living on her own in a bungalow has or needs 50k kicking around spare in a current account.

You are proposing we scam all the little old ladies out of their 50ks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

yes that seems like a measured interpretation of that quote

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No just a quarter of them.

https://twitter.com/MarkEHigginson/status/1542436091592163328

Convex posted:

Some great articles on BBC recently. I particularly enjoyed this one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-61495035

:shepicide:
Apocalypticism is just the flip side of messianism, both are mostly distractions from the hard work to be done.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No need to.

The grim reaper is the greatest scammer of them all.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

This is basically every new build in the past 20 years.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

This is the single worst policy this government could enact around housing. Instead of doing anything at all, they plan to make it so that a 1 million pound house is just barely affordable for above average earners instead of a 300,000 one. So £300,000 houses will rise to £1m because that's what affordable monthly payments will look like.

It is the ultimate pull up the ladder policy. It's a loving travesty

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/01/no-10-considers-50-year-mortgages-that-could-pass-down-generations

...it's a fairly fundamental legal position that you aren't liable for debts your parents or grandparents or anyone else run up. You are liable for your own debts, nobody else's (~handwaves a bit about marriage, which is also a legal contract you enter into as a consenting adult not by being born~). How the gently caress is this supposed to work?

(Also, do you have to contract to have <x> number of kids as part of this? I don't have any myself and don't plan to. Who's going to pay when I die?)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can inherit a property with obligations, that's a bit like 2019 Labour's Common Grounds Trust idea. This is just the Tory version where the obligation is to the bank and the end goal is homeowners who hate inheritance tax and want hereditary everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

...it's a fairly fundamental legal position that you aren't liable for debts your parents or grandparents or anyone else run up. You are liable for your own debts, nobody else's (~handwaves a bit about marriage, which is also a legal contract you enter into as a consenting adult not by being born~). How the gently caress is this supposed to work?

(Also, do you have to contract to have <x> number of kids as part of this? I don't have any myself and don't plan to. Who's going to pay when I die?)

1) They'll change the law so it works. Generational indenture is what they want.

2) If you don't have kids, you won't be offered the mortgage. Remember, this is not aimed at 20 year olds looking for their first home for a lifetime. It's aimed at people in their 30s and 40s who already have kids but could never get on the housing ladder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I assume the idea is that your children will have the option of inheriting the house with the mortgage or something, but considering the willingness of the kids to take that on is unknown it seems like a hilariously risky option for the mortgage lender.

Other option of course is you are literally allowed to use your kids as collateral for your mortgage lmao, what if finance worked on fey bargaining rules.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

2) If you don't have kids, you won't be offered the mortgage. Remember, this is not aimed at 20 year olds looking for their first home for a lifetime. It's aimed at people in their 30s and 40s who already have kids but could never get on the housing ladder.
Landlords. If it's a housing policy, it's aimed at landlords.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

You can't bind 3rd parties to a contract they did not sign so I am assuming it will be you and your kids all sign it as joint parties with them being allowed to keep the mortgage after you pop your clogs.

As landlords.

This is awful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you would think contracts would be unenforcable if children sign them and yet I still have student loans

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Japan enacted intergenerational mortgages in the 80s, now to take a big sip of coffee and look up what happened to Japan's economy in the early 90s.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They absolutely can, they just don't want to take the hit unless it gets traction. You'll notice whenever these stories about an innocent old lady getting scammed out of her husband's war pension start getting traction and someone like Martin Lewis (or Watchdog in the old days) gets involved, there'll suddenly be a grand gesture where they'll give it back 'as a gesture' (as a PR stunt), and nobody ever really questions why an old lady living on her own in a bungalow has or needs 50k kicking around spare in a current account.

I'm like extremely certain that in cases like that the bank just changes the number in your account and they don't actually give you any of their own money

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've mentioned youtuber Bald and Bankrupt being a PUA rapey sex tourist before. Someone has made a really well documented video about it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1NeQyqrUQ

It's definitely worth sharing far and wide, as Ben doesn't deserve the audience he has.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Already excited for parents grieving the loss of their child to get a letter from the bank foreclosing on their house due to a change in circumstances

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tired: Leaving 500 live worker termites in your landlord's house
Wired: Leaving your bank-owned house to 500 live worker termites as legatees in your will

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think Jaeluni has that much sitting around

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

Imagine trying to scam your way through all her spreadsheet defences? not worth it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I have a certain reputation obviously.

And you're right, my 26sqm flat which would undoubtedly be worth £3m in London is worth here in darkest south Wales the same as it was when sold 20 years ago (well below £100k) according to Zoopla or Rightmove. In fact I paid less than the previous owner. But at least I don't have a mortgage anymore to worry about just the service charges.

Good luck downsizing my dwelling and scamming me out of £50k. The last time I was scammed was in Cairo when I got conned into buying a £6 papyrus. I should have known better after living there so long.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rust Martialis posted:

Pretty sure she's not particularly little, either.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

fuctifino posted:

I've mentioned youtuber Bald and Bankrupt being a PUA rapey sex tourist before. Someone has made a really well documented video about it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1NeQyqrUQ

It's definitely worth sharing far and wide, as Ben doesn't deserve the audience he has.

loving hell this dude is gross. i know it's obvious but sometimes it just really boggles me that people can be like this

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Pretty sure she's not particularly little, either.

You're right there....

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I got conned into buying a £6 papyrus.

do you still have it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

do you still have it?

Can't remember. I might have donated it to a charity shop. I never took it out of the tube.
And it was probably banana leaves not papyrus anyway.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Deketh posted:

loving hell this dude is gross. i know it's obvious but sometimes it just really boggles me that people can be like this

He's a total piece of poo poo but god drat I find the places he goes fascinating and I often can't help myself spending twenty minutes watching a guy pick around some decaying old Soviet holiday camp or whatever.

His latest video where he goes around the UK is pretty illuminating though and gives an insight into how Eastern Europeans must feel watching his stuff. The guy is literally walking around a shopping centre in Easterhouse talking about it like he's in imminent danger for being English lmao. Pure safari garbage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These days...

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

ThomasPaine posted:

He's a total piece of poo poo but god drat I find the places he goes fascinating and I often can't help myself spending twenty minutes watching a guy pick around some decaying old Soviet holiday camp or whatever.

His latest video where he goes around the UK is pretty illuminating though and gives an insight into how Eastern Europeans must feel watching his stuff. The guy is literally walking around a shopping centre in Easterhouse talking about it like he's in imminent danger for being English lmao. Pure safari garbage.

I agree, those kind of decaying urban scapes are fascinating. I hope there are some yoududes out there that do this kinda stuff without being borderline (or maybe not even borderline) rapists though.

I'm gonna take a swing at Disco Elysium, I was inspired by the recent chat in this thread. I think I bounced off it pretty quickly when I first played it last year, I think I lack the attention span or focus for "serious" RPGs. I'm not far in but the writing so far is pretty great, and that tie is still eluding me

On a(nother) side note, has anyone even been assessed for adult ADHD? I've started things rolling but drat, apparently the waiting list is 18 months

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't remember. I might have donated it to a charity shop. I never took it out of the tube.
And it was probably banana leaves not papyrus anyway.

Well it sounds like it could have been worth £6 but you never checked :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well it sounds like it could have been worth £6 but you never checked :colbert:

I doubt it. They wrote my name in Arabic on the bottom. This is how they get you because British :decorum: dictates you are then compelled to purchase said item. Fortunately I can read Arabic writing (even if I don't understand the words) so I know they wrote my actual name on it not 'Dead Donkey' or some such.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I would spend £6 on some banana leaves with my name written on in Arabic, though this was presumably when £6 was like £600

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh no who could have predicted
https://mobile.twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1543280745422241793

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The entire remnants of the Labour left all get arrested while Johnson is already three scandals ahead with "yes I did bugger a 16 year old girl in my office but both parents were watching so to my knowledge it was legal" "ah we're not sure about that but it's probably not in the public interest to investigate."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That a mail on Sunday reporter would tweet something kind of pointlessly self evident? Why would the police ask a witness about something and not confirm they would be prepared to testify?

But equally, lol and lmao.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

"The witness, a Mr Res Stweeting..."

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

A boring man would never drink a beer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if he actually gets done for it I might actually die laughing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is this the face of a boring man? Huh??

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012