Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

this is every game of mahjong i watch ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkUFHP1iUg

watched a bunch of other clips after this. really cool art style, and cool mahjong drama too haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV:

Can you not turn off the tiny achievements notification thing showing up all the time
All I’ve found from googling is people from four years ago complaining about it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
speaking of blue mage, why is the blue mage class in ff14 a worthless joke sideclass thing, not something you can actually beat the main game with like other classes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vermain posted:

eternal also lets you completely ignore the entire plot if you want

maybe until you get to sentinel prime

that level is such a bad fit for a doom game that I'm really curious what happened in that pitch meeting

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Khanstant posted:

speaking of blue mage, why is the blue mage class in ff14 a worthless joke sideclass thing, not something you can actually beat the main game with like other classes.

Because then we wouldn't have the option to cheese old content with insta death and blowing up bosses in one hit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
put me in charge and you can do that to new content too >:)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

There's only ever been maybe 2 good Blue Mages in Final Fantasy and they're both on the SNES. You can count Catmancer from Bravely Second if you want.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Walla posted:

There's only ever been maybe 2 good Blue Mages in Final Fantasy and they're both on the SNES

This is Quina erasure

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

4 then. I'll budge no further.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quina FTW

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also it's not really a "blue mage" but e-skill is hilariously broken in vii

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
blue mage seems like it should be the default main character job.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God kimahri sucks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozC3-NzuZE

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 2, 2022

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Khanstant posted:

blue mage seems like it should be the default main character job.

I like this idea. I think it would solve a lot of the problems with Blue Magic if the character was always in the party.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

For reals, if they made Blue Mage a normal job say goodbye to learning spells from enemies besides quest rewards to keep the balance, also no fun weird spells like Self-destruct or Level 5 Death. If they kept the learning spells you'd be swarmed with people running content with only 1 spell or every optional spell would be boring because they can't keep core kit features optional.

But most importantly, if I lost my easy button for doing weeklies I'll make sure your favourite job gets simplified than an Endwalker Summonner.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
doing the old raids as blue mage for the various rewards they added is kind of neat. none of the blue mage setups are particularly hard to play exactly, but they're paced different and require some planning/pacing that isn't really part of the 'real' battle classes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://twitter.com/MasonLindroth/status/1487529446013812746?cxt=HHwWlICy6cuJ4qQpAAAA

Hylics dev doing a thing maybe

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chia rider

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hylics is my favourite game ive never played

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
first one takes less than three hours, surprisingly breezy

I couldn’t get through the sequel

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll only play turned based games on a handheld in bed, sorry Hylics guy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

watched a bunch of other clips after this. really cool art style, and cool mahjong drama too haha

noboyuki fukomoto has a really distinctive aesthetic that i love, and the adaptations of his work always manage to capture the over-the-top atmosphere of the manga. you might've seen his most popular work (kaiji) at some point, though i have a real soft spot for akagi because it perfectly captures the mood of a quiet mahjong parlor where it's both incredibly tense and incredibly calming at the same time. it's difficult to describe

haveblue posted:

maybe until you get to sentinel prime

that level is such a bad fit for a doom game that I'm really curious what happened in that pitch meeting

i think it's a good fit for what sentinel prime's purpose is, which is to introduce you to the game's core movement systems in a relatively safe, controlled environment. putting it in a fairly mellow setting is conducive to this, since you don't feel the usual sort of pressure of being stuck in hell and hemmed in by demons and can take your time to get used to the double dash, pole vaults, and more complicated level exploration the game starts getting into on map 3

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I went back home to Gridania cause they needed my help and my friends there were really happy to see me :3: Then I took my first run through the Deepcroft which was a neat bit of creepiness and at the end SURPRISE MIND FLAYER AAAAAA :supaburn: I now have a bunch of jobs around the 20 mark and now I'm off to Ul'dah to inevitably run the first dungeon there as well. In other news I got a chocobo and lol this is basically just Mario Kart. I came third in my first race which I don't think is too shabby :D

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jerusalem posted:

I finally got Doom Eternal and why are there cutscenes and a storyline about some ancient civilization and their king getting in the way of ♪ DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN, DUN DUN DUN DUNNNN! DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN, DUN DUN DILLA-LILLA-LILLA-LAH! ♪? :mad:

I wanted to throw my controller when I saw the cutscene where Doomguy loving kneeled in respect to some guy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I went back home to Gridania cause they needed my help and my friends there were really happy to see me :3: Then I took my first run through the Deepcroft which was a neat bit of creepiness and at the end SURPRISE MIND FLAYER AAAAAA :supaburn: I now have a bunch of jobs around the 20 mark and now I'm off to Ul'dah to inevitably run the first dungeon there as well. In other news I got a chocobo and lol this is basically just Mario Kart. I came third in my first race which I don't think is too shabby :D

Chocobo racing's a pretty neat lil minigame, though it turns more into one of those Japanese horse racing sims the deeper into the weeds you get. There's a bunch of different subsystems of breeding and pedigree you need to interact with to get to the highest possible rank if that sorta thing appeals to you.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
:frogsiren: code nerd rant :frogsiren:

I have spent the better part of two hours doing my best :psyduck: impression reading World of Horror's save/load code.

How? The Binding of Isaac was made in Flash produced less comprehensible decompiled code, yet there was a method to the madness. This is just someone made everything global as a quick hack while making the game, not considering the concept of needing to dump/reset state for saving/loading. Keeping this functional through iterations is nearly impossible.

I think it can be fixed, but this is gonna require identifying things the save code doesn't include, including them, and tediously manually remapping everything. Ugh.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vermain posted:

There's a bunch of different subsystems of breeding and pedigree you need to interact with to get to the highest possible rank if that sorta thing appeals to you.

I like how you say this like you don't already know the answer :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vermain posted:

i think it's a good fit for what sentinel prime's purpose is, which is to introduce you to the game's core movement systems in a relatively safe, controlled environment. putting it in a fairly mellow setting is conducive to this, since you don't feel the usual sort of pressure of being stuck in hell and hemmed in by demons and can take your time to get used to the double dash, pole vaults, and more complicated level exploration the game starts getting into on map 3

Are you thinking of a different level? Sentinel Prime is level 8 out of 13 and consists mostly of walking down corridors triggering cutscenes until the boss fight

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

noboyuki fukomoto has a really distinctive aesthetic that i love, and the adaptations of his work always manage to capture the over-the-top atmosphere of the manga. you might've seen his most popular work (kaiji) at some point, though i have a real soft spot for akagi because it perfectly captures the mood of a quiet mahjong parlor where it's both incredibly tense and incredibly calming at the same time. it's difficult to describe

i really wish i was a mahjong parlor person, or maybe just want to go to one? i have no idea what about that whole thing that clicks with me, or I think it clicks with me, I've literally never been. i still struggle to remember the symbols for the numbers of the man tiles, i still don't know how any scoring works, i don't get the wind, i don't know doras, i can barely remember the easiest yaku. is it wrong to want to sit somewhere and smoke indoors like in ancient times, while playing a game you barely know the rules to?

in this case i argue yes, because I would be ruining matches all the time, didn't even realize you HAD to pick from a specific spot on the wall tiles for drawing, to me, my instinct is gently caress that, that draw tile is cursed and I wanna grab one according to the heart of the tiles. But, reaching all over makes opportunity for sleight of hand cheatery, but so does having a predetermined tile draw spot! Plus I guess folks can cheat by the shuffle too. I don't even know the basic rules let alone how to cheat effectively.

I haven't seen Kaiji either, do the anime adaptions have dubs? Either way I'll peep around at the art, i love his goblin looking faces and all the other bumpy poky designs, fantastic.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the actual issue you will run into as that, as far as i understand, the chocobo breeding minigame is extremely expensive gil-wise and very demanding on your inventory space

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

very demanding on your inventory space

:negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

Are you thinking of a different level? Sentinel Prime is level 8 out of 13 and consists mostly of walking down corridors triggering cutscenes until the boss fight

oh yeah that's mb, i was thinking of exultia for some reason. sentinel prime's definitely the dullest of the bunch, and my assumption is that it's something that got shuffled around or axed from a greater scope level during development, sort of like how there's that weird moment at the start of mars core where you grab and equip a guy's plasma rifle, a weapon you obtained several missions ago

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

demanding on your inventory space

This is FFXIV in a nutshell.

Which is why SE sells extra retainers for $$$$

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Walla posted:

There's only ever been maybe 2 good Blue Mages in Final Fantasy and they're both on the SNES. You can count Catmancer from Bravely Second if you want.

Quina would like word with you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You unlock your bank after finishing the uldah dungeon!!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Great, turns out the PC is awesome in terms of performance... except it's completely missing the HDD it said it had, and 1TB is not enough from experience, and Wi-Fi is going like absolute poo poo and that's awful for downloading and FFXIV.

Man, a real dumper. Tecnically I could buy and add a drive and try to find a fix for the WiFi, but that's the hassle I wanted to avoid buying prebuilt :(:

If the seller actually fixes that stuff they're getting 5/5 stars on every review site from me.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Naka is on a posting spree

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1543065687467274240?s=21&t=ueUbMHq7VdiemFGAO6BWOQ

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Why would you pronounce it any other way? It's a city run by water power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Because hydross-ity sounds cooler.