Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Envomask website has a decent number of pics! https://envomask.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Beartaco posted:

Gotcha, sorry I'm deeply cynical and I believe that I will catch this awful virus at some point. I promise that I'll go out kicking and screaming, however.

The goal is to catch it as few times as possible, so you haven't failed if you get sick.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Does anyone use like, a permanent plastic kind of mask/respirator? Like what painters use or something? I don't want to get this again. I'd rather look like a big doofus.

I have one more agreed to speaking engagement and I'm strongly considering cancelling it. It would be a bad business move to cancel but jhc there's still a pandemic!

Goons who do a lot of speaking at work frequently recommend the Secure Click with speaking diaphragm. I use the 3M Rugged Comfort Quick Latch 6503 and the basic 6200 and I don’t feel like I’m hard to hear but if you’re doing a speaking engagement it’s probably a good idea to spring for the diaphragm.

Also make sure you buy the particulate filters, (they’re magenta) not the organic vapor filters.
For the Secure Click:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v100812054/
For the 6000 series:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000075275/

Trixie Hardcore posted:

3M Secure Click Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator with Speaking Diaphragm HF-802SD - the thread MVP for reusable respirators
3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 6200 - lightweight, inexpensive, reliable
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9210- the thread MVP for disposable respirators
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9205- same as the 9211 but with latex straps, easier to find
3M VFlex Particulate Respirator 9105- might be a better fit if you have a big goony head, looks like you have a duck bill
Gerson Duckbill 3230 N95 - another option if you have a big goony head, looks like you have a duck bill
3M™ Ultimate FUCKS FF-400 Full Face Respirator- full coverage for when you're completely done taking viral loads to the face.

Respirators for Canada goons:
3M Secure Click Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator HF-800 - link also stocks waterproof replacement filters
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9205 - unvalved

FFP3 Respirators for Euro goons:
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9330+ -unvalved
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9332+- valved

P2 Respirators for Aussie goons:
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9320A+ - unvalved
3M Aura Flat Fold Particulate Respirator 9422+ -valved

If you have any questions just ask the CSPAM thread.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

busalover posted:

Anime Expo in LA, day 1 opening. lol

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-02/covid-persistent-threat-in-california-thanks-to-ba-4-ba-5

quote:

As of data released Friday, California has recorded a 12% increase in coronavirus cases compared with mid-June, tallying an average of more than 16,900 per day over the last week, according to data compiled by The Times. On a per capita basis, that’s 303 cases a week for every 100,000 residents.

A rate of 100 or more cases a week for every 100,000 residents is considered a high rate of transmission

Los Angeles County is reporting nearly 5,300 cases a day, for a weekly rate of 367 cases per 100,000 residents. That‘s the highest case rate since early February and represents a 20% week-over-week increase in cases, erasing improvements in the case rate recorded in mid-June.

That still-potent spread can be chalked up to several factors, including residents who have largely abandoned infection-prevention measures and returned to pre-pandemic habits, the emergence of ever-more-contagious strains and the waning of virus immunity.
How could this happen to me?
I've made my mistakes
Got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They just want some of that Susser Tod.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

It's just to commemorate the fact that you beat the bug spread :)

I thought it was a pretty good Starship Troopers reference, personally!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

busalover posted:

And San Diego Comic Con is in two weeks!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

busalover posted:

I can smell that photo

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Charles Ford posted:

I thought it was a pretty good Starship Troopers reference, personally!

Yeah, and the one poster that suggested a brain bug, made me think that brain covid variant is deffo in the making.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

PITY BONER posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-02/covid-persistent-threat-in-california-thanks-to-ba-4-ba-5

I've made my mistakes
Got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream

The important thing is that no one could have predicted this becoming a super spreader event because they were following CDC guidelines.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

heavy liquid posted:

I can smell that photo

unlike most of the people in it!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Assuming my current infection is some version of Omicron, when I'm better I have very minor immunity to regular Omicron again and essentially zero immunity to BA4/BA5, with an exposure to one of those I could be sick again essentially within days. Is that right?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hellblazer187 posted:

Assuming my current infection is some version of Omicron, when I'm better I have very minor immunity to regular Omicron again and essentially zero immunity to BA4/BA5, with an exposure to one of those I could be sick again essentially within days. Is that right?
Everything is Omicron now.

A high percentage of cases are currently BA4/BA5. Upwards of 70% in some places. So, that may be what you have.

I don’t know if there’s any good data yet on how frequently a person can get reinfected by 4 or 5. Unfortunately, the situation is rapidly, uh, evolving, and by the time we know much about one variant, some new variant is taking over already.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm not in the US, I'm not sure if they're measuring the subvariants or not here. I can't find any news about it in the local press. I didn't really have a lot of respiratory issues, but that's not really decisive. In any event, I'm supposed to be giving a talk in front of a bunch of Americans in about 4 weeks. What's my immunity look like at that point? Essentially square one, right?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I don’t think anyone can tell you what your immunity will be in a month. It varies by individual, and one month is a timescale where reinfection is known to be possible, but you could also be totally fine. Your risk would be higher if you have some lineage of BA.2 since that would confer less immunity to 4&5, but without doing sequencing, who knows what you’ve got. There are lots of unknowns.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 3, 2022

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Zugzwang posted:

Everything is Omicron now.

A high percentage of cases are currently BA4/BA5. Upwards of 70% in some places. So, that may be what you have.

I don’t know if there’s any good data yet on how frequently a person can get reinfected by 4 or 5. Unfortunately, the situation is rapidly, uh, evolving, and by the time we know much about one variant, some new variant is taking over already.

Genuine question - are all the subvarients actually still “Omicron”, or did the WHO basically decide that burning through the Greek alphabet wasn’t working so now they’re just the BA nomenclature?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SgtScruffy posted:

Genuine question - are all the subvarients actually still “Omicron”, or did the WHO basically decide that burning through the Greek alphabet wasn’t working so now they’re just the BA nomenclature?

Wow that is an incredibly cynical take. What you're suggesting is that the government is running a propaganda campaign against its own citizen's health and well being in a vain short sighted plan to juice the economy to the benefit of the obscenely wealthy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hellblazer187 posted:

That is what the current (preliminary) data shows, yes.

SgtScruffy posted:

Right now it is actually both. Well, it’s more that the Biden regime convinced the WHO that people would stop worrying about new variants if they stopped giving them Greek letters more than it “wasn’t working” unless your view of “isn’t working” means “not open Biden.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SgtScruffy posted:

There are two difference naming schema involved here.

Scientists use a system called “Pangolin” to keep track of lineages of the virus. This is where names like B.1.1.7, which you probably first saw as “the British Variant”, later given the name “Alpha” by WHO, come from.

These names are comprehensive and somewhat automated. They numbers only go three levels deep. If a fourth level is needed, they loop around and start using letters. This is how Omicron variants get designations like BA.2.12 or BA.5. B.1.1.529 is already three numbers deep, so when it branches, the B.1.1.529 gets aliased to the next unused sequence of letters, BA, and new numbers can be affixed to that.

The alphabet has been gone through twice and we’re on the third. All the single letters are assigned, all the A<any letter> are assigned, and Omicron’s subvariants started the third run through.

Is this a mess? Yes. If scientists had known in 2020 what the phylogenetic structure looks like now, they probably would have tweaked the rules. And also freaked out.

WHO’s names, taken from the Greek alphabet (and later, they say, astronomy and mythology) are assigned by decree. B.1.617.2 received the name “Delta”. Its sibling B. 1.617.1 got the name “Kappa”.

There’s no reason that WHO could not say “‘Omicron’ is BA.1 only. BA.2 is ‘Pi’.”

They simply choose not to.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'm in San Diego now for a family reunion with my partner and it's been 3 days of unmasked eating, hugging, and more eating with people I don't know. Gotta say, Panamanians know how to cut loose and a white family reunion must be super lame. I can't imagine having a family this large.

Not so good at masking though lol I am so going to get covid . I'm basically resigned at this point. I'm gonna try to get a booster when we get back from our 10 hour drive but yeah, I'm screwed. This'll be my first time getting sick. My neck hurts so bad I want to get out of this loud VHW hall. Please kill me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

WHO’s names, taken from the Greek alphabet (and later, they say, astronomy and mythology) are assigned by decree. B.1.617.2 received the name “Delta”. Its sibling B. 1.617.1 got the name “Kappa”.

There’s no reason that WHO could not say “‘Omicron’ is BA.1 only. BA.2 is ‘Pi’.”

Also worth noting that a variant being named or not says nothing about how significant it will end up being in terms of cases/morbidity. Of the variants mentioned here, nobody gives a gently caress about Kappa (B.1.617.1), while Delta (B.1.617.2) was king of the world for a while. Additionally, a number of other named variants caused regional outbreaks at worst and never achieved anything like what Alpha, Delta, or Omicron did.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
A new study was just published indicating that vaccination reduces the odds of long Covid, with 2 doses reducing the odds by 75% and 3 doses reducing the odds by 84%.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1543376082337820674

Caveats include the relatively small sample size (2560 total patients, 739 with Covid, 229 with long Covid), and the fact that hospitalized patients were excluded from the analysis. It's also rather unfortunate they did not include a non-infected control group so we could have a baseline to compare against.

These numbers are very different than the 15% reported in a previously mentioned study and it's worth considering the reasons why:

1. The demographics are also very different. The previous study used VHA data which was predominantly male (90%), older (average age 67), and obese (average BMI 30). This study uses health care workers which were mostly female (75%), younger (average age 44), and in better shape (average BMI 24).
2. This study is based on weekly routine surveillance of health care workers which means they're going to capture more asymptomatic and mild cases in their Covid-positive group. The VHA study is based on health care records of people who visit VHA facilities so they're going to miss people who had asymptomatic or mild cases and did not seek care (also known as under-ascertainment and will make the numbers look worse than actuality).
3. This study explicitly excludes hospitalized patients whereas the VHA study includes both. It's not mentioned how many patients were excluded but the VHA study suggests the risk of long Covid goes up with hospitalization and even higher for the ICU so the numbers will probably look better than if they weren't excluded. Then again, these were health care workers who were required to be vaccinated early on so perhaps there weren't that many hospitalized in the first place.

Anyways, another data point and also a warning not to simply accept the results of any single study at face value considering differing methodology and demographics can have a big impact on results.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 3, 2022

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

surely if a virus really conferred ‘zero immunity’ to itself we’d be hearing about cases where someone got infected, spread it to a family member, recovered, and then got it again from the sick person? if that is even possible, i have no idea. i thought the record was like 20 days for reinfection and that was delta then omicron. i also thought that like south africa’s BA.4/5 wave was relatively short which seems to suggest some level of immunity

or is the answer just ‘who loving knows lol’

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This patient got a reinfection in nineteen days.

It’s noted as genetically distinct, so one might think it would be like “oh of course Delta and then Omicron”.

NOPE

This was in March of 2020. Variants were not antigenically distinct at that point. They were merely distinct enough to prove separate origin.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Platystemon posted:

There are two difference naming schema involved here.

Scientists use a system called “Pangolin” to keep track of lineages of the virus. This is where names like B.1.1.7, which you probably first saw as “the British Variant”, later given the name “Alpha” by WHO, come from.

These names are comprehensive and somewhat automated. They numbers only go three levels deep. If a fourth level is needed, they loop around and start using letters. This is how Omicron variants get designations like BA.2.12 or BA.5. B.1.1.529 is already three numbers deep, so when it branches, the B.1.1.529 gets aliased to the next unused sequence of letters, BA, and new numbers can be affixed to that.

The alphabet has been gone through twice and we’re on the third. All the single letters are assigned, all the A<any letter> are assigned, and Omicron’s subvariants started the third run through.

Is this a mess? Yes. If scientists had known in 2020 what the phylogenetic structure looks like now, they probably would have tweaked the rules. And also freaked out.

Thanks for the effort post - really helpful! I figured that was the case but interesting to see it alll spelled out

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I could have sworn I heard about a 13 day re-infection somewhere online, although when you get that low it's probably questionable whether it's just the same infection lingering.

I definitely have heard about 5 week re-infections.

At this point there's basically no solid data on infections for the vast, vast majority of people in the world, so the answer is probably in the who knows category no matter what.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

enki42 posted:

At this point there's basically no solid data on infections for the vast, vast majority of people in the world, so the answer is probably in the who knows category no matter what.

I know at one point you couldn't even get a PCR test within 90 days of a previous positive result, which is still true in some European countries and probably some US states.

New Zealand just changed their protocols a few days ago because of the high chance of reinfection with the current subvariants:

quote:

We are also updating our advice around reinfection and are now asking anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms 29 days or longer following their initial infection to test. Should they test positive they will need to isolate for 7 days.

“This is a change from earlier advice which was that people would not need to re-test if they had tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days and is based on the latest international evidence and the need to isolate quickly people with reinfections.
https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/new-measures-help-manage-covid-19-country-stays-orange

Also getting tested for monkeypox at the moment is super difficult if you don't fit the risk profile
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7115506679130623275

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

enki42 posted:

I could have sworn I heard about a 13 day re-infection somewhere online, although when you get that low it's probably questionable whether it's just the same infection lingering.

I definitely have heard about 5 week re-infections.

my niece popped pos in mid June, recovered after a few days, then tested positive again 12 days later. I'm assuming that the initial infection just didn't get cleared as you said.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I know at one point you couldn't even get a PCR test within 90 days of a previous positive result, which is still true in some European countries and probably some US states.

I mean in Ontario (and I think most of Canada) you can't get a PCR test flat out unless you fit in a few categories, so data on infections basically doesn't exist in any useful sense, let alone reinfections.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

enki42 posted:

I mean in Ontario (and I think most of Canada) you can't get a PCR test flat out unless you fit in a few categories, so data on infections basically doesn't exist in any useful sense, let alone reinfections.

It's just guesswork anyway unless they do genomic sequencing on both infections

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's just guesswork anyway unless they do genomic sequencing on both infections
The most you could hope for if they’re doing PCR is informing you whether your sample had S-gene target failure. Sometimes you can really crudely distinguish between subtypes that way. I don’t know whether any or all of the current BAs exhibit that though. And AFAIK the information about SGTF isn’t usually available.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This thread is literally the only place I've heard where anyone is saying that the new omicron variant's don't confer immunity against themselves. Articles I've read have said that they can escape antibodies from vaccines and previous, other Omicron infections but this notion of "you can get BA 4/5, recover, and get it again a day later" seems to be a Goon Diagnosis

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Riptor posted:

This thread is literally the only place I've heard where anyone is saying that the new omicron variant's don't confer immunity against themselves. Articles I've read have said that they can escape antibodies from vaccines and previous, other Omicron infections but this notion of "you can get BA 4/5, recover, and get it again a day later" seems to be a Goon Diagnosis

There isn't any peer reviewed science about these latest variants yet, they're too new.

Immunity is not black and white, but very complicated of course. You can have attenuated symptoms, lower risk of death, lower risk of re-infection and so on without being "immune" like in a video game.

Its indisputable that reinfections are happening and not just to people without immune systems. Its also indisputable to that immunity wanes over time after the vaccine, in the complicated way I described above. It's also indisputable that the virus is mutating rapidly to escape antibodies and that getting delta wont' protect you very well from omicron or from the latest varients than they refuse to name.

So start with this: in the last 2 years it's possible to have gotten covid at least 4 times for normal people who were in the wrong place wrong time.

If each one of those infections brings its own risk of long covid that would be very serious.

Actually the reality is worse than this because they've detected live virus in long covid patients and covid depletes t-cells, but even the mild version of what we see happening is very severe.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

enki42 posted:

Can confirm the same for BC. Ever since Omicron made infections explode, case number data has essentially been useless ever since it became "just assume you have it" and "self report (if you can figure out how)". Wastewater data is all we really have left, but that's only monitored in a handful of areas. It's dumb.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

There isn't any peer reviewed science about these latest variants yet, they're too new.

Exactly my point. It's good to be prudent and careful but you cannot speak with the certainty that a few posters in this thread have been doing as to the consequence of these infections. Anything is possible and I applaud the caution but we simply do not know

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Riptor posted:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq1841
It's a complicated picture and apparently particularly bad for those who were infected in the first wave.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Riptor posted:

Exactly my point. It's good to be prudent and careful but you cannot speak with the certainty that a few posters in this thread have been doing as to the consequence of these infections. Anything is possible and I applaud the caution but we simply do not know

Peer reviewed science is great but its also not flawless and doesn't replace the need to have common sense or basic survival skills. The peer review process happens slower than covid evolves, so if your requirement to act is peer review then you will never be ready to act.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Peer reviewed science is great but its also not flawless and doesn't replace the need to have common sense or basic survival skills. The peer review process happens slower than covid evolves, so if your requirement to act is peer review then you will never be ready to act.

I'm not saying anything about acting differently. I'm saying the degree of panic should be tempered

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I got COVID for the sixth time and I'm currently working through it :kheldragar:

This has been the worst infection I've had since OG by far. I started out feeling meh Thursday, on Friday I had so little energy I called off work early and basically shuttled between my bed and the couch, yesterday was fevertown and today it's a sore throat, mucus and coughing. It's basically been Wack-a-mole with symptoms: as soon as one gets knocked down another emerges

Oh and I've been up since 0230 eastern because I've had such violent coughing fits it kept me awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I mean, what more specifically is panic behavior? Wearing a mask to the grocery store? Ordering out instead of eating in? I think most people taking the pandemic seriously from a personal responsibility standpoint are striking a pretty healthy balance in finding safe activities and minimizing risk