Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

We've never seen what happens when she touches a person when transformed, have we? Just that she says it gets intense.

This might also be a good setup for her to try to do some long range OH NOOOO AAAAA WTF AAAAAA at the other MGs in the club she's practiced with.

We have, it's how she shared the memories of what happened during the cassidy fight with Kokoro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, right. So it can be like a full immersion memory.

On a different note, odds that in the next few pages we get an exterior shot of the city and the skyline is lit up by hundreds of flares?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

Still it is a hospital it sounds like they always keep healer girls on hand at the hospital i dunno maybe just make sure the patrol route always has a girl at the hospital
like i think its the one spot where i think they should go "ehhhh maybe we should do something here, specifically"
I think part of it is a shortage of actual MGs in the city and the barriers being largely functional at keeping out threats until a MG can arrive on the scene. Just about the only time we've seen a barrier breached it was Goops using a boss class monster correct?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Brought To You By posted:

I think part of it is a shortage of actual MGs in the city and the barriers being largely functional at keeping out threats until a MG can arrive on the scene. Just about the only time we've seen a barrier breached it was Goops using a boss class monster correct?

The chapter where Kokoro explains her mother's death goes into this a bit. It sounds like breaches are uncommon but usually fatal ("If it's civilians, they're likely already..."). It seems to have been the work of one human-sized monster.

Probably not a boss considering its size and the fact that Mingxing was able to take it out on her own with one arm (unless she had some kind of adrenaline powerboost). I'm guessing even the average monster is pretty dangerous and impossible for civilians to fight. It seems like even a light contact wound can knock someone unconscious and give them goopy nightmares.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-26

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Brought To You By posted:

Technically we also saw Kokoro breach the barrier when she missed her punch at Stressa. An interstial said that any monster can break the barrier if given enough time though, I guess the mini ones can't really pull it off unless they get most of the night to do it while the bigger ones can just smash through. Also the human sized one that killed Kokoro's mom had to get in there somehow. The interstials also mentioned that MGs can totes break the barrier too but we shouldn't worry about that yet, I am guess we have hit the "Yet" portion of the comic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

See also this page from chapter 1 and this page from chapter 15. Left to their own devices monsters will slowly wear holes in the barrier, and probably break through given enough time. Maybe the smallest ones don't have a hope of managing it in the four hours they're alive.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Speaking of four hours.

We've floated the question of how long the inner barrier has been around, and how anemone herself seems to be quite old, but something I kind of wonder is if...the outer barrier is weakning over time? 4 hours is such a small amount of time (and 10-2 in particular) that it makes me wonder if the barrier might have used to last longer and if things continue, anemone might have needed to keep doing it longer and longer. The current crop of magical girls seems to have the 4 hour block pretty well internalized so I don't think its anything recent just..kinda wonder if maybe anemone started with oh you know maybe an hour a night. then 2. then 3...

Girl In White is...prrrrrobably the thing keeping the barrier going (that'd further recontextualize Anemone's first interlude about "Do we even need the outer barrier?" especialyl when combined with wanting to see her again). And assumedly girl in white = the golden animals, and goops said directly to her "you're getting weaker" so one could lead to the other if we keep this thought train going.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

rannum posted:

Speaking of four hours.

We've floated the question of how long the inner barrier has been around, and how anemone herself seems to be quite old, but something I kind of wonder is if...the outer barrier is weakning over time? 4 hours is such a small amount of time (and 10-2 in particular) that it makes me wonder if the barrier might have used to last longer and if things continue, anemone might have needed to keep doing it longer and longer. The current crop of magical girls seems to have the 4 hour block pretty well internalized so I don't think its anything recent just..kinda wonder if maybe anemone started with oh you know maybe an hour a night. then 2. then 3...

Girl In White is...prrrrrobably the thing keeping the barrier going (that'd further recontextualize Anemone's first interlude about "Do we even need the outer barrier?" especialyl when combined with wanting to see her again). And assumedly girl in white = the golden animals, and goops said directly to her "you're getting weaker" so one could lead to the other if we keep this thought train going.

I suspect there's some reason Anemone can only be asleep four hours - because she clearly would like to get more sleep, and also there was an alt text mentioning that she's really the titular 'sleepless' character.
Maybe if she sleeps at other times, the monsters appear?
The problem with that is that it implies that monsters shouldn't appear while she's awake, which, idk, maybe so? We know magical girls have to 'clean up' the remaining monsters after a certain point.

It's all very unclear what happens now that Anemone's being attacked, is the main thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MikeJF posted:

On a different note, odds that in the next few pages we get an exterior shot of the city and the skyline is lit up by hundreds of flares?
I hope so, that'd make for a hell of a page to end a chapter on.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tiny Myers posted:

The chapter where Kokoro explains her mother's death goes into this a bit. It sounds like breaches are uncommon but usually fatal ("If it's civilians, they're likely already..."). It seems to have been the work of one human-sized monster.

It's possible that breaches are usually fatal for civilians because to be able to breach, a monster needs to be strong or stealthy enough to get through the barrier so it kinda skews the results in the more lethal direction.

With a lot of goop-focus on Anemone, a lot of the stronger monsters are already (hopefully) accounted for. Maybe the night will end with just a couple hundred traumatized people, instead of dead ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

Speaking of four hours.

Well Anemone has referred to the whole current status quo as "unsustainable" a couple of times, though granted that could mean a lot of things since she's talking about more than just the barriers in those comics. But yeah it wouldn't shock me if the barrier's getting weaker. The question is whether the inner barrier itself is specifically is an unsustainable status. Maybe Anemone literally can't extend the barrier much longer or make it more powerful? I mean she seems super powerful right now when she's in rainbow mode but I'm betting that making the barrier uses a lot of juice, so maybe she just straight up can't do it for much longer than 4 hours.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If it does, it would make sense why gooptessa is hitting her at the very tail end of things, too, when she's theoretically at her weakest from powering the barrier all night, but still incapacitated from doing so.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

I read it as more that Anemone can extend whatever protective power she has over the city, but has drawn all of it back to deal with a threat to her person.

People are gonna die because of it since the magical girls aren’t coordinated. Unless we’ve completely missed some disaster drill there isn’t even a plan to set up evacuation corridors and strongpoints. The closest thing to coordination we’ve seen has been the barrier messages talking about getting help vs the burgermonster. But that was probably Anemone and she’s too busy to do anything like that right now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's Vedika Time

Have I mentioned I love the nurse lady? Absolutely ready to go out there herself. Hardcore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is definitely all that foreshadowing about Vedika and the monsters paying off.

What're the odds she finds out about Stressa/Contessa?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is all leading to the shocking reveal that all this time, Vedika was actually capable of telekinesis in addition to telepathy and she just starts smashing monsters together like a whirlwind of destruction.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The downside is that the two are linked, and it turns out being brain bonded with something while you launch it through a wall kinda sucks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

New update: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com

Last few panels feel odd. He’s giving her additional flares, which we saw last page, so it’s kinda weird because it’s easy to assume she just took all three. I guess the number she has will be relevant :ohdear:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

New update: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com

Last few panels feel odd. He’s giving her additional flares, which we saw last page, so it’s kinda weird because it’s easy to assume she just took all three. I guess the number she has will be relevant :ohdear:

to be fair the previous page speifically shows only loading up one of the flares and then she just picks up the loaded flare gun.

The idea was probably just fire it off once and maybe save the other rounds for other flares

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Having one flare is to signal for help, having multiple flares is for using it as a weapon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Didn't you read the alt text? They're push pops! :j:

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
New page.

This is a great plan, I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love the mental image of the rat not quite noticing the door is open until she fires off the flare.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cue Jakety Sax

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

girl dick energy posted:

I love the mental image of the rat not quite noticing the door is open until she fires off the flare.

The way it looks in panel 1 she had to shove that thing out of the way.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

She's a good kid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

…oh no.

That grim determination on her face. She’s not going to stand and wait and watch a kid die. If Vedika gets in over her head, Nurse Badass is gonna try to jump on the metaphorical grenade. She’s sending the other nurse away so she won’t try to stop her.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

but the point of the page is that vedika is leading it away from the building, so she'd have to chase after them to do that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

girl dick energy posted:

…oh no.

That grim determination on her face. She’s not going to stand and wait and watch a kid die. If Vedika gets in over her head, Nurse Badass is gonna try to jump on the metaphorical grenade. She’s sending the other nurse away so she won’t try to stop her.

Pretty sure the nurse being sent away is a he. They called them Dev. Likely a Devin.

But yeah that’s a pretty plausible theory

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

…oh no.

A few pages ago she was totally ready to go out and fire the flare herself until Vedika volunteered, too.
Folks on the Discord are wondering if she's a former magical girl herself. She's got that sense of having been through the wars a bit.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Oh wait, what if Vedika turns out to be able to have some copy ability, and mimics the nurse's (hypothetical) former magical girl powers in an attempt to drag her off the monster to stop it from killing her?

Or monster power copying, or monster control (like Pokemon or something).

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Copy power seems like kind of a stretch from telepathy. Maybe monster control? The capacity for some kind of mental attack seems pretty likely.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

The ability to talk a monster through their problems leaving them a productive, well adjusted, and happy member of society.

I have been replaying psychonauts 2

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Twibbit posted:

The ability to talk a monster through their problems leaving them a productive, well adjusted, and happy member of society.

I have been replaying psychonauts 2

the ability to go full psychonauts would be amazing

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-14

Gooptessa is dead. Everyone go home.

Also, apparently one of Mary Cagel's cats got into some Ibuprofen and is in the vet having her kidneys being monitored, so spare a good thought if you can.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Unlucky7 posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-14

Gooptessa is dead. Everyone go home.

Also, apparently one of Mary Cagel's cats got into some Ibuprofen and is in the vet having her kidneys being monitored, so spare a good thought if you can.

Pls be okay kitty :ohdear:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Those were Gooptessa's monsters behind Anemone. I think Anemone dealt with them without turning her back on Gooptessa

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Meta though, funny alt text normally isn't present when Goops is on scene

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No Anemone, don't power down until the main enemy is gone! That's like rule #1!

Twibbit posted:

Meta though, funny alt text normally isn't present when Goops is on scene

Well she isn't in frame I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The alt text has been showing up the whole time Goops and Tessa have been fused - looks like that gets around that 'rule'.