Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

quote:

Temple of the Frog is an adventure in which the player characters must save a baroness held captive in the evil Temple of the Frog, located deep within the Great Dismal Swamp.

The entrance to Temple of the Frog is beneath Groverhaus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

coolusername posted:

Fun fact: the fashion is accurate for each region we’ll visit, but each family inside that region also has its own style quirks and embroidery patterns. Right now we’re in Uzbekistan near the Aral Sea: Pay attention to the women in this chapter, and you’ll see that Tileke’s close family use a circular pattern on their headband and wear the veil loose and long. Amir, who married in from a Kazahk tribe living near the Caucasus mountains, she has triangle patterns on her headband and wears the veil folded and pinned - and the great grandmother, who also was originally from that tribal region, also has a similar triangular headband pattern and pinned up veil (just a lot more veil pinned up.) Pariya, the girl with braids earlier from a different family? She wears her veil in a bow and has flower patterns on her headband instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

drat dude you are shredding the artist with your sharp wit and pointed critique

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
it's funny

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Can goons not be weird about manga/anime for one minute

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
no

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

thetoughestbean posted:

agreed, getting defensive about a light ribbing is pretty weird

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

thetoughestbean posted:

Famous last words.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

World Famous W posted:

agreed, getting defensive about a light ribbing is pretty weird

It’s a dumb critique! Almost none of the posted comics itt have very detailed faces. It’s just focusing on the manga because some goons have never gotten over their knee-jerk dislike of anime from the 2000s

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Eh, I knew it was a bad fit for the thread going in hence why I was just posting some nice short sequences initially. It’s a slow paced manga that spends entire volumes on stuff like embroidery and how 19th century food markets work, so it’s not really a match for the action-packed or comedy comics otherwise posted here. And the last post is a fine page to leave it at, anyways, since there’s no cliffhanger; If you’ve liked the art, please check it out in bookstores! It’s got an extra sized hardback edition and the art is super crisp in it with the bigger panels.

There’s a couple of shorter western webcomics which are also very much about the art style but are a bit punchier I was thinking of posting (the moon and me, or lady of the shard) so I’ll be back with one of those sometime.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s a dumb critique! Almost none of the posted comics itt have very detailed faces. It’s just focusing on the manga because some goons have never gotten over their knee-jerk dislike of anime from the 2000s

Basically this

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

thetoughestbean posted:

Most of them aint hyper detailed outside the faces though. Which is the joke

The comics still a fine fit for the thread

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Don't let the grognards get you down! A Bride's Tale is drat fine comics.

I will never understand the criticism of 'simple face'. Realistically detailed faces are not inherently the best art! Shorthand for expressing emotion exists for a reason!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You don't want a hyper-detailed face, they look like poo poo. Work is clearly put into the faces there - look at those eyelashes! - but with no colours and minimal shading they're as good as it's possible to make them look.

Unless you just don't like big anime eyes, but that's not a detail level thing, that's a comics thing.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 07: 37-42 of 42

Qualia the Purple
Episode 08: 1-12 of 32

Our mysterious transfer student finally arrives!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto—Battlefield Kanto Part 4: Silver Standard
Chapter 34: Power Surge

So, the exhibition match gets mentioned for the second time here. It'll never actually be explained in what's left of the comic, but I do actually remember what it was about from being in the IRC channel where the comic was being planned back in the day—a televised exhibition match between a young Sabrina Red and a young Whitney (I don't remember exactly what ages they were, might have been while they were still kids), in which Sabrina Red whupped Whitney so badly that Whitney openly cried on national TV. So she does not want her current day girlfriend to know about that!

EDIT: Turns out I misremembered, it was Red and not Sabrina who gave Whitney whatfor!

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jul 4, 2022

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Woah woah woah...did you just post some MANGOS¿¡!?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fragile Anime Defender

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Heathcliff is so good

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 08: 1-12 of 32
Our mysterious transfer student finally arrives!

I feel like this author doesn't understand how research mathematics works.

Although to be fair I don't think most people do really. If you go by how maths in school is it's easy to assume at university you just keep solving harder and harder equations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How many comics aren't just doing technobabble? Can't be many.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
weirdly, this last Qualia update is the one that comes closest to breaking my suspension of disbelief, with the absurdly over-the-top qualifications of "genius" that it feels like we're meant to take at face value (why the gently caress would anybody graduate from multiple universities, Ivy League or otherwise?), along with:

...she said, making a super-distinctively-Japanese expression

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Tenebrais posted:

You don't want a hyper-detailed face, they look like poo poo. Work is clearly put into the faces there - look at those eyelashes! - but with no colours and minimal shading they're as good as it's possible to make them look.

Unless you just don't like big anime eyes, but that's not a detail level thing, that's a comics thing.

Lol the artist clearly has the ability to draw a real face but didn't because manga is a known marketable style with an automatic audience.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

coolusername posted:

Eh, I knew it was a bad fit for the thread going in hence why I was just posting some nice short sequences initially. It’s a slow paced manga that spends entire volumes on stuff like embroidery and how 19th century food markets work, so it’s not really a match for the action-packed or comedy comics otherwise posted here. And the last post is a fine page to leave it at, anyways, since there’s no cliffhanger; If you’ve liked the art, please check it out in bookstores! It’s got an extra sized hardback edition and the art is super crisp in it with the bigger panels.

There’s a couple of shorter western webcomics which are also very much about the art style but are a bit punchier I was thinking of posting (the moon and me, or lady of the shard) so I’ll be back with one of those sometime.

No I liked it! Ignore the haters. I have goon face-blindness anyway.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:cthulhu:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cheer up, the right Æon will come and the stars will be right!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Gah, look at the the faces on those sailors. Sloppy

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Occultatio posted:

...she said, making a super-distinctively-Japanese expression

If you want to properly insult someone you’ve gotta use the local versions. Just doesn’t have the same impact. I’d laugh if someone showed the sole of their shoe to me thinking they were trying to insult me, might cause a fight elsewhere in the world.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

How many comics aren't just doing technobabble? Can't be many.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: n/m

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why are her hands so small

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
they're just very far away

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why are her hands so small

Do you find something comical about her hands?
They were the largest hands she could afford.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Splicer posted:

I was talking about a completely different spaceship! *looks it up* wait temple of frog is just a regular temple that a spaceman filled with lasers and cyborgs

Also Temple of Frog is apparently the first ever D&D module? I didn't know that. Neat.

goddammit, I was thinking of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

yeah, TotF is an Arneson original jazzed up for publication

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

coolusername posted:

Nah man keep postin, Bride's Story looks sick AF. I just think it's hilarious that the artist spends twelve hours getting a fold in a character's intricate clothing just right, and then their mouth is literally a circle with a line through it for teeth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

coolusername posted:

Ignore the idiots. It's some of the best content that's ever been posted in this thread. I'd look at Chubbycheckers posts before thinking it's a good idea to listen to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
realistic faces would distract from the insanely detailed needlework. most manga and anime just uses super stylized faces because they're lazy hack jobs but Bride's Story just wants to make it obvious at a glance what the comic is about, since the title is so misleading