Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am not sure why you'd ever want to use the merc whistle for its mechanical benefit

Shez's dash is the most powerful move bar none as is

The shadow dash is incredibly, incredibly good but it's not on par with the SSS tier stuff like Lorenz. "Extremely good mobility to continue combos" is a useful tool but it doesn't stack up to "brainlessly invincible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am not sure why you'd ever want to use the merc whistle for its mechanical benefit

Shez's dash is the most powerful move bar none as is

I dont know if i agree. Its fun and cute and all to get around the map or close the distance after a combo. But some of these skills are just better. If i need to be at another place i can order one of my characters over there while I'm fighting on the other side with Shez.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kanos posted:

The shadow dash is incredibly, incredibly good but it's not on par with the SSS tier stuff like Lorenz. "Extremely good mobility to continue combos" is a useful tool but it doesn't stack up to "brainlessly invincible".

Doesn't it also give a chance to instakill mobs? I find that + the mobility vital for S ranking from what I've played. On harder stages I'd guess not dying is probably more important though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Giving Shez Sylvain's ability + Asura is ridiculous, particularly on maps where you need to clear 1800+ enemies for the S Rank. It just turns Shez into the human lawnmower with infinity range who can step into a stronghold and kill everything in it while standing still.

Just about to finish GW and not sure who I'm giving the whistle to. Probably gonna be Lorentz I guess for his ridiculous invincibility gimmick.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Currently on GW so no, haven't seen it yet.

https://twitter.com/edwardsabavo/status/1541215841466949632?s=21&t=gart8tumky-8Fo2s3glFvQ

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
femboys winning!!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

"gently caress pretty boys."

-Yoko Taro

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Could be wrong but something tells me the game would be significantly less gay if the localization had been handled by Treehouse like Three Houses instead of 8-4.

Please give this localization team more FE games going forward, NoA.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Much like Thyrsus, Lysithea uses Lorenz's ability better than him. Shez doesn't need invincibility but she sure as poo poo does.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sydin posted:

Could be wrong but something tells me the game would be significantly less gay if the localization had been handled by Treehouse like Three Houses instead of 8-4.

Please give this localization team more FE games going forward, NoA.

I’m curious if the writing is just as gay in Japan

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m curious if the writing is just as gay in Japan

In Three Houses because of Treehouse, the Japanese script was much gayer than the English.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
8-4 has done fire emblem games before, they were just usually busy with other stuff. Like they didn't do Fates because they were hired instead to do Xenoblade Chronicles X which was releasing around the same year. And they were doing a lot of live service mobile games like Draglia Lost and Twisted Wonderland during the Three Hopes launch.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Playing halfway through Golden Wildfire and all this game does is make me want to play through Three Houses again.

It's pretty good though! I dig how much more fleshed out the world is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Doesn't it also give a chance to instakill mobs? I find that + the mobility vital for S ranking from what I've played. On harder stages I'd guess not dying is probably more important though.

It produces random slashes that instakill mobs, but Shez's unique classes(or any cav) have such ludicrously huge attack ranges that it's extremely easy to keep everything in front of you in a combo for another second or two until they're dead.

Lorenz's ability goes beyond simply not dying, too - enemy characters who attack into it and trigger the auto-guard will flinch back and lose their own guard so you can start hurting them/picking them up in your combo vacuum cleaner, meaning that with his ability active the best approach to enemy characters is to Just Keep Swinging.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

Much like Thyrsus, Lysithea uses Lorenz's ability better than him. Shez doesn't need invincibility but she sure as poo poo does.

That'd mean giving up Lysithea's "make everything loving explode and flock together for free every couple of seconds" ability and who needs to be invincibile when you literally melt everything constantly?

Her ability isn't super great on a mage but if you make her a swordperson it is absurdly loving good because you have a like 3 second cooldown low-durability cost spammable dark-oriented (and MAG-based before you get her unique ability) attack for like five seconds effort. You need to try to even take damage as her even on harder difficulty modes.

Honestly that's kind of my biggest complaint about the game. Once you get past a certain durability threshold it becomes way more effective to just use combat arts over and over instead of actually playing characters. Lysithea is just the queen of that because she can wield the absurdly powerful magic sword that reduces all combat art cooldowns.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I fairly unsurprisingly rate Rose Guard lower than Careful Study because the former makes you invincible but the latter allows absolutely anyone to kill everything in a fifty mile radius if they get it.

I put that thing on a loving swordmaster Lysithea and she just mowed through a stage. Got like 300 kills inside 2 minutes easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I fairly unsurprisingly rate Rose Guard lower than Careful Study because the former makes you invincible but the latter allows absolutely anyone to kill everything in a fifty mile radius if they get it.

I put that thing on a loving swordmaster Lysithea and she just mowed through a stage. Got like 300 kills inside 2 minutes easy.

Careful Study was my choice for Shez because turning into a human buzzsaw goes a loooooong way with her.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Dark Knight Hubert is up there too. Using Dark Lance juiced up with a mage staff and buffs from Dark Mage/Bishop will cover every enemy on screen with his maxed out spikes. Once he gets the actual Dark Spikes spell, instantly executing any cavalry unit he comes across is also very doable

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've hit that point in a Warriors Hard Mode difficulty curve when you stop struggling and start winning. S-ranks can still be tight but everything feels way too easy on Normal now. Couple of +15 weapons, targeting super-effective against units, things melt. I have Felix as a Dark Mage with an armor/cavalry-targeting tome and all I have to do it point him at a target and it's time to pick another. Which is great because in this chapter 3/4 of every map seems to be armor and cavalry.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ugh. Missed the window for the Edelgard+Ferdinand support by not using Ferdinand enough. I hate it when they make it easy to do that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Another thing about Lorenz's Rose thing is whether you have it on shez or lysithea or whoever you can run all the life-drain/low hp skills along with it and not have to worry about the downside whatsoever

And don't downplay the actual offensive ability of the tornados it makes, its as serviceable of a crowd control tool/juggle extender as anything else

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If you are not giving the whistle to Byleth so you can give ZA WARUDO to whoever needs it I don’t know what to tell you

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So this is interesting. I just got Lorenz and Constance's C support after doing their paralogue and Lorenz actually references their competition in dialogue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Another thing about Lorenz's Rose thing is whether you have it on shez or lysithea or whoever you can run all the life-drain/low hp skills along with it and not have to worry about the downside whatsoever

And don't downplay the actual offensive ability of the tornados it makes, its as serviceable of a crowd control tool/juggle extender as anything else

Yeah, this is another really important benefit of being invincible. You can freely stack literally every "do more damage but take more damage/take damage when you swing/do more damage when at low hp" stuff with zero fear.

Clawtopsy posted:

If you are not giving the whistle to Byleth so you can give ZA WARUDO to whoever needs it I don’t know what to tell you

I saved my whistle for the entire game to see what Byleth had to offer, got Byleth, went "that looks cool as gently caress!", then used Byleth's skill a bunch and went "well, somehow they managed to make a time freeze skill weak rear end garbage, that's disappointing", and gave my whistle to Holst.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you either give Felix Yuri's crest item, or give Yuri Felix's whistle item, and then make them a dancer, all three attack and movement speed buffs stack and you become sanic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also you get to make Felix a dancer

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Smh at people giving whistles for gameplay rather than for love since they're the closest thing the game has to it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah Lorenz and Sylvain may be OP but they will never get my platonic friendship whistle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Smh at people giving whistles for gameplay rather than for love since they're the closest thing the game has to it.

Holst and Lorenz are two of my favorite characters in the entire game, so I'm not seeing a downside.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kanos posted:

Holst and Lorenz are two of my favorite characters in the entire game, so I'm not seeing a downside.

Oh yeah, as a Holst fan 0 objections to people picking for love that also happen to be OP. Best of both worlds!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Theres dancers in the game??????

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mabels big day posted:

Theres dancers in the game??????

I never unlocked them on AG but very late game in GW it was a reward for completing a side area.

There's tons of stuff that's not only hidden but hidden in a weird way that doesn't make sense. Like getting Blutgang has nothing to do with Marianne at all, you get it by S-ranking a late game story mission in GW. :psyduck:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp GW down, some thoughts: way better than AG at least, even if I don't like that it also ends inconclusively. Still this one managed to have Dimitri and Edelgard both come out unscathed while Claude actually got to be the character everybody said he was back in Three Houses. Also funnily enough for "Golden Wildfire" the epilogue crawl implies that there is potential for this to be sort of a golden ending: all the lords are alive, Rhea is dead and the central church is toast, and Claude is trying to broker a peace. I gave my whistle to Holst and his ending letter also talks about how the world is now in an age of societal revolution and he's excited to help build the new world. That said the slithers were not fully addressed this go around so they will presumably continue to gently caress things up.

Good stuff, left a way better taste in my mouth and now I'm hyped to play SB.

e. Also I did F!Shez in AG and M!Shez in GW, and unlike Houses where I thought both Byleths were good in their own way here lady Shez is miles better and it's not even close. His voice acting isn't bad, but the way it sounds combined with his design makes him come off as a massive dweeb, as opposed to F!Shez's cool but sassy.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 3, 2022

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Finished up SB today, I'm trying to choose whether to get Eagles over with since it's my least favorite house or to do Team Claude.

Something I really appreciate is just how good the load times are, I've played plenty of games that have camps with fast travel where load times mean you might as well just walk to where you're going but it's near instantaneous in Hopes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Male Shez has solid VA imo. Dude seems chill.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamn Holst vs. Bergliez at the end of GW chapter 7 is so good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Small touch I didn't notice while playing the demo but do appreciate is that the reason Edelgard trusts Shez even though they have slither powers is because Shez helped her bust Monica out, when any actual slither plant would have tried to stop her. It makes a lot more sense than Dimitri and Claude just kinda shrugging like "eh no biggie."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Goddamn Holst vs. Bergliez at the end of GW chapter 7 is so good.

:hmmyes:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Male Shez has solid VA imo. Dude seems chill.

Yeah like I said the voice is fine, it's just got a bit less of an edge to it than Shez's female VA and combined with the male Shez design looking like a budget WSJ protag I have trouble taking him seriously.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
"The female model has an actual character design and the male model looks like an unfinished background NPC" is a problem in a loooot of games and I have no clue why it's so prevalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No matter how you feel about Shez's design I don't think anyone thinks he looks like a background npc.