Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anothergod posted:

My work gave me an i9 2019 Macbook Pro. It is so incredibly loud and hot doing almost nothing. What a weird machine.

Apparently it's actually an improvement over the years prior. I was offered the chance to refresh my 2017 i7 with a 2019 earlier this year, and I decided to ignore it and go to the back of the line because one year with this thing (shot battery, defective keyboard and all) before likely getting issued an Mx Pro next year is far preferable to 3-4 years with a 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Y'all either have some hosed up machines or this is goon hyperbole in overdrive. My 16" i9 is perfectly fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 16 i9 literalely burned off my nuts and now I can't pee

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My 16" is really only a 13" 🤫

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Luceo posted:

Y'all either have some hosed up machines or this is goon hyperbole in overdrive. My 16" i9 is perfectly fine.

Eh I just swapped an 8 core i9 for a M1 machine and it’s not totally hyperbole. My usual workflow (AE, PS, Davinci) and hobby apps would make the i9 loving howl often. The M1 occasionally registers a light sigh of discontent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Luceo posted:

or your standards are just warped by your loud oven computer

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Luceo posted:

It’s fine. Just battery is dog poo poo and it doesn’t take much to make the fans go crazy and it’s still hot as hell.

It beats the poo poo out of the previous 15 on keyboard alone but that wasn’t a hard bar to clear.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

or your standards are just warped by your loud oven computer

Nah, also according to this thread, this 16" is also too heavy and large to be used as a laptop, when to me, it's just laptop-sized. The fruit processors are great and I'll get one eventually, but this still does what I need it to do. My only real complaint is the touchbar's existence and lack of magsafe.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Luceo posted:

Nah, also according to this thread, this 16" is also too heavy and large to be used as a laptop, when to me, it's just laptop-sized. The fruit processors are great and I'll get one eventually, but this still does what I need it to do. My only real complaint is the touchbar's existence and lack of magsafe.

I love my 16 inch M1. It’s not the size. You just don’t know better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I love my hot loud curvy computer and I don’t care who knows

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I have two 13 inch MBPs one Intel 2020 and the other one an M1. The Intel one is my work one as I need to still use windows in a VM for a few things.

I have to run the fan at a higher speed constantly so the temps don’t get to like the 90’s just doing basic things. The M1 I’ve never heard the fan running even when doing video encodes for ages.

At some point I should just get a compact windows desktop and shove it somewhere so I can ditch the Intel MBP

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've been editing again and doing some basic audio/visual work on my 2016 15" MBP. It's brutally hot and slow but I know once I get a 14" M2 Pro/Max (even if it's early next year), I'm going to actually feel a massive generation leap and I can't wait.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I've been holding on to my 2014 15" MBP for almost 8 years now. Saving up to buy an M1/M2 16" Max. Possibly the biggest thing I'm excited about is being able to use my laptop without needing to have a pillow/blanket/some sort of object between me and the bottom of the laptop to prevent from scalding myself all day every day.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Why are people who do basically nothing w/ their laptops waiting to buy a MacBook Pro?

Like, get the Macbook Air for $1000 right now. Or wait for the vanity of an M2 MBA. What will the MBP do for you that the Air won't?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The active cooling is good to have even if it doesn’t seem like it does much and having a few actual ports is a fun bonus,The screen is also real nice. Plus If you’re gonna put 16GB of RAM in the air the pro is only like $200 more it’s not as cut and dry as it should be

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

anothergod posted:

My work gave me an i9 2019 Macbook Pro. It is so incredibly loud and hot doing almost nothing. What a weird machine.

The i9 mbps especially are desk only machines imo

I have a 2018 and it’s the same way. Boot into bootcamp if you want to see how bad it gets. It’s basically 100% fans 100% of the time

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of the intel Macs, they got real bad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That's basically because Apple doesn't see the need to integrate better cooling drivers into a competing OS

My 2013/2014 rMBPs are literally huffing and puffing trying to keep up with Big Sur / Monterey so I think maybe I'll wait until September October and then pick up an M2 Air, get used to not hearing any fans or having the outline of my laptop literally burned onto my legs by a red hot branding iron.

Then maybe trade it in when the 14/16 inch M2 Pros show up

Having MagSafe 3 will make so much of a difference over just two measly ports that I can't wait..

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

hatty posted:

The active cooling is good to have even if it doesn’t seem like it does much and having a few actual ports is a fun bonus,The screen is also real nice. Plus If you’re gonna put 16GB of RAM in the air the pro is only like $200 more it’s not as cut and dry as it should be

Why is this thread so interested in wasting money?

Base MBAs cost $1000 and will do all basic computing tasks just fine for the next 5 years. Even if you increase the RAM *AND* the storage to MBP levels, you're looking at $1400. And and and then if you bump that up to an M2 you're still $300 shy of a MBP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

anothergod posted:

It’s the Mac hardware thread.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

anothergod posted:

Base MBAs cost $1000 and will do all basic computing tasks just fine for the next 5 years. Even if you increase the RAM *AND* the storage to MBP levels, you're looking at $1400. And and and then if you bump that up to an M2 you're still $300 shy of a MBP.

https://twitter.com/VadimYuryev/status/1542188250697039872

A 13" M2 Pro is perfectly able to reach meltdown temperatures with a fan, the MBA doesn't even have that so it will start throttling sooner.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I would simply not export 8K Canon RAW on my M2 MacBook Air, but maybe I’m built different.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Luceo posted:

Yeah the i9 16” isn’t awful, it does what’s asked but it is loud and hot under load. The 16” M1 is better tho in every measurable way.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thinking of picking up a macbook air for glorified chromebookery. If I'm planning on keeping it its entire useful life, should I go for the ram upgrade?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Thinking of picking up a macbook air for glorified chromebookery. If I'm planning on keeping it its entire useful life, should I go for the ram upgrade?

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn’t buy an 8GB machine in 2022, and it’s ridiculous that Apple offers them at boutique pricing.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah the i9 16” isn’t awful, it does what’s asked but it is loud and hot under load. The 16” M1 is better tho in every measurable way.

I'm sure it is, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't need a new computer right now. I rarely, if ever use it literally on my lap, though, so perhaps I don't notice the heat, but I really don't get the noise complaint. I only notice that when I've got WoW or something like that running and I've still got sharp hearing for my age. :corsair: The new thing being quieter doesn't automatically make the old thing a jet engine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Luceo posted:

but I really don't get the noise complaint. I only notice that when I've got WoW or something like that running and I've still got sharp hearing for my age. :corsair: The new thing being quieter doesn't automatically make the old thing a jet engine.

What do you use it for? Most of my everyday work tasks send the fans spinning.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn’t buy an 8GB machine in 2022, and it’s ridiculous that Apple offers them at boutique pricing.

alternatively, i have the 8gb air and its absolutely 100% enough for glorified chromebookery.

also i regularly run safari, logic and final cut at the same time with no problems

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Mia Wasikowska posted:

alternatively, i have the 8gb air and its absolutely 100% enough for glorified chromebookery.

also i regularly run safari, logic and final cut at the same time with no problems

Same. Add loving around in Terminal and Photos as well as the odd itch.io or Steam game too.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Luceo posted:

I'm sure it is, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't need a new computer right now. I rarely, if ever use it literally on my lap, though, so perhaps I don't notice the heat, but I really don't get the noise complaint. I only notice that when I've got WoW or something like that running and I've still got sharp hearing for my age. :corsair: The new thing being quieter doesn't automatically make the old thing a jet engine.

Yeah I get that, buy what you need when you need it. I just traded an 8 core i9 for a M1 Max and I could hear the i9 loudly like all the time. I got noise canceling headphones for my office because it was that loud no joke. This is with a photoshop/ after effects/ davinci workflow. The M1 is mostly silent under the same loads and faster to boot.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 2, 2022

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Mia Wasikowska posted:

For financial reasons (and dead laptop reasons) I just spent 3 years in the Macless wilderness of an 8GB i5 Asus Vivobook, but just got a great deal on an 8GB M1 Air after the M2 was announced; I don't know what kind of 'gigabytes' they are putting in taiwanese budget laptops but holy smokes this is a different kettle of fish.

Maybe I've just had my expectations lowered but I have like 7-8 apps open at a time and it feels smooth as butter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

https://twitter.com/VadimYuryev/status/1542188250697039872

A 13" M2 Pro is perfectly able to reach meltdown temperatures with a fan, the MBA doesn't even have that so it will start throttling sooner.

https://twitter.com/VadimYuryev/status/1542509828622299147

Like, the guy even admits that this is the most punishing test he could think of for this machine. This is not the type of tasks you run on an MBA

Different tools for different jobs

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like I'd recommend the air over the 13 pro specifically because it doesn't have active cooling, as in vents and cooling fins to get clogged up with dust, and another moving part/point of failure with the fan (regardless of whether you can hear it).

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I have a touch bar M1Pro and I use it mostly for YouTube, a bit of cities skylines, Illustrator/photoshop/indesign, and Logic Pro with some plugins for recording boring shoegaze and post metal riffery and it literally never spins up the fans. Wife has an M1 MBA and uses it as a facebook cruiser and a bit of discord/docker/FE work and it literally doesn’t hiccup. For standard use outside of people who are Extremely Online these machines are (for practical purposes) limitless.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Jeherrin posted:

I have a touch bar M1Pro and I use it mostly for YouTube, a bit of cities skylines, Illustrator/photoshop/indesign, and Logic Pro with some plugins for recording boring shoegaze and post metal riffery and it literally never spins up the fans. Wife has an M1 MBA and uses it as a facebook cruiser and a bit of discord/docker/FE work and it literally doesn’t hiccup. For standard use outside of people who are Extremely Online these machines are (for practical purposes) limitless.

How big an impediment is the Touch Bar in your day to day use?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

For the record my wife as an M1 13" Pro and she loves the touchbar. She uses it every day, loves the volume slider and all the context aware buttons that pop up.

People who really hate the touchbar seem to mostly be people who touch-type function keys a good portion of their day.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It probably wouldn't bug me if I had to have one as long as the Esc, power, and volume keys were real.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FCKGW posted:

For the record my wife as an M1 13" Pro and she loves the touchbar. She uses it every day, loves the volume slider and all the context aware buttons that pop up.

People who really hate the touchbar seem to mostly be people who touch-type function keys a good portion of their day.

It's the escape key. A good portion of computer touchers regularly use the escape key and the touchbar is horrible at being an escape key. Sure, you could rebind it and re-learn, but every keyboard since the teletype days has had an escape key until the touchbar, why should we rebind it?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's the escape key. A good portion of computer touchers regularly use the escape key and the touchbar is horrible at being an escape key. Sure, you could rebind it and re-learn, but every keyboard since the teletype days has had an escape key until the touchbar, why should we rebind it?

because caps lock is an infinitely better place for esc if you use it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Spime Wrangler posted:

because caps lock is an infinitely better place for esc if you use it a lot

I WILL NEVER REBIND CAPS LOCK