Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Best Limit Break mechanics in a FF game:

Final Fantasy 8
Basically replaces your regular attacks if you're willing to run at 'low' health and reroll a couple of times. Usually feels really cool, is incredibly powerful, trivial to get. Only downside is that they render everything that isn't a LB mediocre.

Final FantasY X
Absurdly powerful attacks that break a ton of rules and past a certain point can be used almost every single turn. Same problems as FF8, just a hair harder to get running.

Final Fantasy 14
Super cool with a lot of great animations and thanks to their general design they can actually be worked into combat in cool ways which leads to awesome moments where you are rushing to kick rear end so you can make a giant wall of dark energy to stop a super attack. Downside is that they are limited and shared by the party.

Final Fantasy 7
Cool character-defining attacks which come up relatively often. Turned into actual attacks in Remake for the most part. The iconic Limit Break

Final Fantasy 11
Lots of cool techniques but they're more like renamed regular techniques. Lacking the punch of other Limit Breaks

Final Fantasy XV
Armiger Mode is pretty neat looking but like the rest of FFXV's combat system feels a bit half baked. At least has some cool story usages.

Final Fantasy 13
Depends on what you count (ATB Skills or the summon super modes) but in either case they look cool and can be extremely useful but don't really feel like Limit Breaks and their usefulness is heavily varied.

Final Fantasy 12
Quickenings are a load of weird nonsense. Was the only way to break damage limit in original FF12 which also sucked. They are technically very powerful but incredibly poorly implemented

Final Fantasy 6
The easiest game in the series has limit breaks that only appear randomly if you attack while at low health, despite most of the party having literally anything better to do than attack in that situation. Sucks and is only not the worst because

Final Fantasy 9
Huge wastes of time that can't be controlled and are likely to pop exactly when you don't want them to. Technically more useful than FF6's but feel worse when some rando snake hits you for 3 damage just before the end of a fight and it pisses Zidane off enough to go Super Saiyan right before Vivi kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hate that they aren't duck-themed Quackenings.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy 9
Huge wastes of time that can't be controlled and are likely to pop exactly when you don't want them to. Technically more useful than FF6's but feel worse when some rando snake hits you for 3 damage just before the end of a fight and it pisses Zidane off enough to go Super Saiyan right before Vivi kills it.

Rofl. I think I was about 80-20 on Trance popping at bad times vs times that were helpful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IX they're actually useful, and if you can let go of not having full control of them they're pretty fun. It's like getting a bonus instead of considering it part of your plan. 6 is worse because I never saw them once and they didn't seem useful when I read about them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's a couple videos of people beating FF9 with only Trance.

Let that insanity sink in...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

IX they're actually useful, and if you can let go of not having full control of them they're pretty fun. It's like getting a bonus instead of considering it part of your plan. 6 is worse because I never saw them once and they didn't seem useful when I read about them

That's sort of the problem I have though, they're powerful but when you pop one while fighting some random battle you'll effortlessly win it feels way worse than if you just hadn't gotten anything at all because it makes you feel like you wasted something cool.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

There's a couple videos of people beating FF9 with only Trance.

Let that insanity sink in...

I am someone who is obsessive enough to have done the "Grind Seifer's level up in Dollet" thing, and even I am in awe of the ability to put up with tedium that would take.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if trance would be cooler if they hid the meter

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 3, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Awww yeah time for the Battle of Endor

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That's sort of the problem I have though, they're powerful but when you pop one while fighting some random battle you'll effortlessly win it feels way worse than if you just hadn't gotten anything at all because it makes you feel like you wasted something cool.

I just don't have that mentality, I didn't waste anything. I got a bonus that wasn't useful.

Out of curiosity then, do you think if the system remained exactly the same, but the bar was hidden you'd like it better? Theoretically it would reduce the anxiety in hoping that trance will pop in the big fights instead of against mooks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if trance be cooler if they hid the meter

I think that would probably just drive people nuts trying to figure out how it was triggering.

Which you can find out just by paying $19.95 for the Official Final Fantasy IX Strategy Guide and then go to page 38 for the PLAYONLINE code that will take you to the page for it!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Awww yeah time for the Battle of Endor

The science-fantasy tech in FF12 is my favorite part of it and I think I loaded my save to watch the air battle scene at the end of 12 like four times back in the day.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The FFIX remake better not keep the same Trance poo poo

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
What if they made a good final fantasy?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They did, and it released recently as well

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Numlock posted:

It will never eclipse Final Fantasy Tactics.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Agents are GO! posted:

This is literally the thread for nerding out about Final Fantasy games, and I, for one, would like to see some evidence for your interpretation. Nerd away, Merrill.

Alright, but I warned you! It's long and has spoilers, so I'm going to try containing it to an LP test post

More XII Venat nonsense

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Numlock posted:

Jack is right there.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

No save crystals once you get on board the second Death Star Sky Fortress? Ouch. This is gonna be rough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The final bosses aren't that hard and TZA might even have autosave to back you up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if trance be cooler if they hid the meter

this sounds dumb but it kinda worked in dq11

though that had a bunch of QOL additions like bring able to save it by hotswapping the party member out

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Numlock posted:

they did and it’s coming out next summer

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gaius Marius posted:

It did something like 3200 damage. By that point, I had Ice 2 and rods to break. It will kill something, then almost never proc again. Might be a way to make it work.

Trance does get more uses the more levels you have, but every turn uses one up. You may have to hold off on it for that character.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2022

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

There are no bad Final Fantasys, actually

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Eight-Six posted:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this sounds dumb but it kinda worked in dq11

though that had a bunch of QOL additions like bring able to save it by hotswapping the party member out

And you could buy skills to increase the chance for them to trigger and even without said skills they would still trigger more often.
Also you can eventually get items to pep up immediately

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I killed the act 2 final boss in DQ11 with the four party member super-pep move which seemed like such a perfect coincidence that I wonder if it was scripted

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There's also that some of the FF9 trances are bad even if you don't do game-breaking stuff like grind for max Thievery or get Excalibur. Freya's, Quina's, and Dagger's trances all kinda suck.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the final fantasy with the best ending is final fantasy 7 because it just ends and until advent children no one knew if humanity survived or if holy killed everyone except for Red XII and his two kids 500 years into the future lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 3, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the final fantasy with the best ending is final fantasy 7 because it just ends and until advent children no one knew if humanity survived or if holy killed everyone except for Red XII who now has two kids lol

The Earth purged itself of the human cancer.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jokes posted:

It will never eclipse Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tactics A2 exists though???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That was the best ending because you got cute red xiii puppies

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

"My guess is that the manufacted Nethicite allows Venat influence or control of a host, but probably only if the host is extremely susceptible to mist (like Mjrn), or is accepting of Venat's influence (which would explain Bergan, Cid, and Vayne)."

you're entire thing is just that you've got a feeling in your water that ghost is up to something

you still have Bergan, Cid, and Vayne as being influenced by ghost possession when there is no evidence in their actions to support it. Please by all means explain how you think the Bergan scene would play out sans mindcontrol/ indoctrination/ whateverthefuck. Bergan is the big one because it's next on your list after the bun. He doesn't just fail to do the slightest thing to suggest that your pet theory is true, he responds to it and refutes it. Was he just *acting* like a murderous rear end in a top hat right up to that point and was going to give them the death star plans? Because the answer is going to be Judge Bergan was going to do exactly what he did because he's a dick. why didn't Venat turn the rear end in a top hat into a monster? why not the bun? why not Cid? when Venat was going to protect Cid and he said naw ghosty i'm good, Venat is like well okay.

in conclusion, my joke about sandwich revenge makes more sense than all that. Or everything you said is right and ff12 is actually an Airbud prequel. that's right: Venat is possessing Buddy the golden retriever, and this fits perfectly with ff14

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Eight-Six posted:

Only bad Final Fantasy players.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

in conclusion, my joke about sandwich revenge makes more sense than all that. Or everything you said is right and ff12 is actually an Airbud prequel. that's right: Venat is possessing Buddy the golden retriever, and this fits perfectly with ff14

nothing in the rules that says a dog can't murder the gods and topple their thrones

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

All Dogs Go To (War With) Heaven

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well, Vayne Solidor was very easy. Vayne Novus, AKA Vayne Liquidor and Goku-Superman-Conan was also not bad. The Undying, AKA Vayne Gasidor I actually legit, seriously this time, am probably too under levelled to beat and the fact that there's no save crystal to heal and recharge Mist Charges and MP at is really unfortunate.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

nothing in the rules that says a dog can't murder the gods and topple their thrones

Only when fired out of an arm-crossbow though

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

GloomMouse posted:

"My guess is that the manufacted Nethicite allows Venat influence or control of a host, but probably only if the host is extremely susceptible to mist (like Mjrn), or is accepting of Venat's influence (which would explain Bergan, Cid, and Vayne)."

you're entire thing is just that you've got a feeling in your water that ghost is up to something

you still have Bergan, Cid, and Vayne as being influenced by ghost possession when there is no evidence in their actions to support it. Please by all means explain how you think the Bergan scene would play out sans mindcontrol/ indoctrination/ whateverthefuck. Bergan is the big one because it's next on your list after the bun. He doesn't just fail to do the slightest thing to suggest that your pet theory is true, he responds to it and refutes it. Was he just *acting* like a murderous rear end in a top hat right up to that point and was going to give them the death star plans? Because the answer is going to be Judge Bergan was going to do exactly what he did because he's a dick. why didn't Venat turn the rear end in a top hat into a monster? why not the bun? why not Cid? when Venat was going to protect Cid and he said naw ghosty i'm good, Venat is like well okay.

I mean, there's evidence of Vayne being possessed because that's the final boss. It happens in-game. And you haven't really provided a better alternate theory for why the game keeps having Venat pop out of people's bodies that have the nethicite, after the game specifically establishes:
1. They were doing experiments on Mjrnn to see how the manufacted nethicite would influence her, resulting in Venat being inside her
2. The party goes "oh poo poo, did you see what that manufacted nethicite did to Mjrnn? That's bad poo poo and we need to get rid of it"
3. Venat keeps popping out of people and the party goes "poo poo, they're being controlled by mist ghosts too." (Bergan saying "nuh uh" doesn't necessarily refute this).
4. The game literally concludes with Venat possessing Vayne after all this setup.
Like the plot goes out of its way to emphasize this stuff. It's literally the final boss of the game, and you're just going "nah, it's nothing."

Bergann was probably always an rear end in a top hat, but he gets to the point where he's picking other judges up by the neck and throwing them around, and murdering pacifists and poo poo. Maybe that's not normal!

And fine, even if you say all those scenes don't mean anything, the rest of the post about Venat totally backing the Empire in its militant conquest actions is still right there. Venat didn't just show up to free mankind from the Occuria and otherwise be neutral.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The simple answer is Venat is needed for the implants to work. And how thing works says gently caress all about secret motivations. You have also added "and also body jacking, and mind control is happening all the time too... maybe I guess? ...it's possible?!"
1 isn't being disputed at all
2 and 3 are the same point: a party of people who don't have any information about crystal implants or ghosts comes up with an idea: the ghost is controlling them! The scene with Bergan sets them straight: No blaming ghosts for the bad poo poo the humes are doing, this goes for good ol' Science Dad too. You will of course have noted that Good Son is not trying to save his dad from that mean ol body snatcher. He at least got the message.
4 the set up was so that the final boss fight wasn't out of left field, and Vayne was dying, and you still have jack poo poo for mind control except the bun can't remember the traumatic science experiment

Can't think of how that Bergan thing would play out different huh? Or why Venat is both protective of, and respectful of, Cid at Pharos? Or why Evil Venat even bothers with talking to Vayne after he gets beat down? Or why your secret evil body snatcher is bothering with most of this? This is your Big Idea after all