Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea it's great. Now watch Fallen Angels and In the Mood For Love. And Happy Together. And 2046. And...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

Last of the Mohicans (1992): hell yes this movie kicks rear end. Incredible score, incredible Daniel Day Lewis. Magua is an all time antagonist. Need to rewatch this on a bigger screen and better sound system as soon as possible to better appreciate those Mann action scenes.

It's so good. Every time someone mentions it I want to go fire it up and watch it from start to finish. That last 10 minutes or so up on the trail near the cliff face is one of my favourite sequences in cinema.

I watched Cha Cha Real Smooth tonight and really enjoyed it. Dakota Johnson absolutely carries it but I did appreciate the lack of cynicism in Raiff's writing, and his slightly uneven performance actually worked for his character. It's nothing that hasn't been done before but the whole thing just felt...healthier than a lot of college-aged creator pieces.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Just watched elvis and it was fine? I know very little about the true story but his manager did not seem to be the greatest dude. The theatre was full of very old people and they seemed to enjoy it. Felt a little all over the place tonally and editing wise. The last scene where they used real footage of his last performance was pretty powerful I'm not going to lie. Poor dude especially at the end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
In typical Baz fashion it’d be twice the movie at half the length. For its run time, the whole thing feels like a synopsis montage of his life and the movie just kinda happens around him, with a lot of time and narrative dedicated to the manager character which was incredibly misplaced. Lead actor was impressive though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Nada is one of my all-time favorite movie heroes just for his reaction upon finding out secret aliens rule the planet:

"It figures it'd be something like this."

The story the movie is based on is only 6 pages long and is worth a read.

https://pvto.weebly.com/uploads/9/1/5/0/91508780/eight_o%E2%80%99clock_in_the_morning-nelson.pdf

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
just rewatched The Hudsucker Proxy, I didn't really remember much other than I saw it once as a tween and I liked it. It's soooooo much a loving Raimi film, no wonder he co-wrote it with the Coens and was 2nd unit director...it's the perfect marriage of their creative inclinations and makes me sad they didn't do like 10 films together. I love the classic Hollywood style, I love Tim Robbins as a physical comedian, I love Jennifer Jason Leigh's Mid-Atlantic accent, I love Paul Newman chewing scenery and cigars...it's just got a great cast (John Mahoney, Bruce Campbell, Bill Cobbs, and Charles Durning also get a decent amount of screentime to have fun) full of awesome cameos (John Goodman doing some voice work, Steve Buscemi as a beatnik bartender, also 1994 Anna Nicole Smith outta nowhere). Not ashamed to say it's like a better less creepy Brazil.
Bizarre that even critics panned it when it came out. imo it's in both the Coens and Raimi's top three but also somehow one of their most overlooked works.

By the time it ends in a loving cosmic fistfight and angelic intervention, I was already smiling big and charmed as gently caress

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2022

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Huducker Proxy, Burn After Reading and A Serious Man are the perfect three Coen comedies for me. Just love every single bit of all three of them and rewatching only cements them further.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Just watched Cow. Truly heart breaking. The constant milking routines and the inevitability of the ending all being shot quite matter-of-factly really added to the immersion. Hard to put in words how I’m feeling an hour or so after watching it, but it’s positive. Recommended.

(Its 90mins of a cow doin cow things.)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Re-watching the original Top Gun. Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis have no chemistry in this and their relationship could have been dropped without hurting the movie.

This one and its sequel are really the love story between Mav and Goose more than anything else.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Automat when the movie starts it starts with Mel Brooks asking the director why she's making the documentary, I don't think the doc provides that answer. As someone whose never eaten at one I've always been fascinated with the whole concept since seeing old footage of one in a British Pathé YouTube. And there's some interesting things in the doc that I didn't know, but they focus so much on poo poo interviews with celebs like Mel Brooks, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and Colin Powell. They've got one of the head engineers for horn and hardart on but the man is so old that it's hard to get much out of him. Personally I would've preferred a longer doc that got into the real financial and mechanical aspects of operations regather than a bunch of "Yeah eating there was cool"

Also they bring out Howard Schultz to bloviate about how Starbucks is the modern automat, first off gently caress off secondly get the gently caress off my screen you stupid gently caress

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 2, 2022

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
John Carpenter's Vampires

Well, at least the title did not lie. Very John Carpenter, but in a bad way. Why do vampire-hunting squads always consist of one super-competent person and half a dozen morons who are too stupid to live? I think casting Laura Palmer was a mistake, no disrespect to the actress, because I can't not see the character as Laura Palmer behaving like Laura Palmer just Laura Palmer-ing it up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I enjoyed Vampires more the second time around, going in knowing that there's not a single likeable character. These morons going into action with their stupid stake launchers instead of just burning the house down.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Buttchocks posted:

John Carpenter's Vampires

Well, at least the title did not lie. Very John Carpenter, but in a bad way. Why do vampire-hunting squads always consist of one super-competent person and half a dozen morons who are too stupid to live? I think casting Laura Palmer was a mistake, no disrespect to the actress, because I can't not see the character as Laura Palmer behaving like Laura Palmer just Laura Palmer-ing it up.

I feel like I have enjoyed vampires more because I never watched any twin peaks..

Agreed that all the characters are horrible, according to the commentary track James woods improvised a lot of his dialogue so you're probably seeing the real him as it were.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed it as a kind of spaghetti western approach were everyone’s a bastard (though I suppose Carpenter may have been aiming more for Peckinpah.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edge of Tomorrow just as good as the people recing it to me said it was. The only flaw is how Incredibly dark(brightness wise) the last third was. Secret MVP of the movie was just what a slimy piece of poo poo Cruise is at the start.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Edge of Tomorrow just as good as the people recing it to me said it was. The only flaw is how Incredibly dark(brightness wise) the last third was. Secret MVP of the movie was just what a slimy piece of poo poo Cruise is at the start.

They really wimped out on the titles for that one. The book it's based on is All You Need Is Kill and the tagline on the poster was "Live. Die. Repeat." Either of those is way more evocative.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I gotta copy of the book around. I do think Edge of Tomorrow is a clever title, but Live Die Repeat is clearly the best title.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They been teasing a sequel for like a decade. Where is it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After Top Gun I'd say the chances it happens are greater than ever. Assuming Blunt isn't doing much

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Watched The Hunters (1958) and The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954).

The 50s really were groping for a justification for the Korean War, being hold the Communists to the ante-bellum status quo must have a been a hard pill to swallow.

Still, great looking movies in Technicolor, like watching Top Gun except in the early Cold War rather than the Reagan Era.

Also, Robert Mitchum and William Holden definitely hosed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Gaius Marius posted:

Edge of Tomorrow just as good as the people recing it to me said it was. The only flaw is how Incredibly dark(brightness wise) the last third was.

I said this exact same thing earlier in the thread. I couldn’t tell if it was my TV or the movie but the entire climax of the movie was nearly impossible to see. Makes me wish I had seen it in the theater way back when. Real “The Long Night” from s8 of Game of Thrones vibes. That’s my only complaint though because it’s a great movie. I don’t think anyone but Tom Cruise could’ve ever played that character.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I stumbled across Split Second (1992) on amazon and saw it had Rutger Hauer so I had to watch it. In the first five minutes he lights a cigar with a torch, wears tiny round sunglasses at night and attempts to interrogate a dog. I was hooked when the police captain chews Hauer out while dropping like 50 fucks but the movie really hits it's stride when an encounter with the mysterious killer turns hauers nebbish serial killer psychologist partner into a copy of hauers insane paranoid gun obsessed slovenly character over the course of one scene. Excellent good bad movie

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

I stumbled across Split Second (1992) on amazon and saw it had Rutger Hauer so I had to watch it. In the first five minutes he lights a cigar with a torch, wears tiny round sunglasses at night and attempts to interrogate a dog. I was hooked when the police captain chews Hauer out while dropping like 50 fucks but the movie really hits it's stride when an encounter with the mysterious killer turns hauers nebbish serial killer psychologist partner into a copy of hauers insane paranoid gun obsessed slovenly character over the course of one scene. Excellent good bad movie

Hauer really lays it on thick in this movie and it's half the reason to watch. still looking for that blu ray release to not be $30 but alas

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Red Notice. I fell asleep through the middle third and didn't realize I'd missed anything. I think that's a problem with a movie that changes location every 10 minutes but has the exact same conflict in every scene. Also when everyone is constantly double-crossing each other, you know that everything is a lie and are just waiting for the next twist that you know is coming. It's like having 20 jump scares in a row. It just gets annoying. I was surprised that there were some funny jokes, but it could have used about 90% less smarm.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Tenant I don't think I've ever felt such sympathy in a movie, I'm of course referring towards the tenants because I would also like Polanski either dead or gone.

Gotta say it wasn't the movie I thought it was going to be. I figured it would be about the tenants gaslighting him into killing himself, not him gaslighting himself. Adjani is absolutely wasted on this flick, and knowing Polanski he probably only casted her so he could gently caress her. It was slickly shot though, some of the shots in tervolkyan delirium were perfect, with the multiplied staircases and larger than life furniture.

Je T'aime, Je T'aime A heartbreaking story of the guy from La Jetée dating Catherine from Jules and Jim. The best portrayal of how frustrating and depressing it is to be in a relationship with someone with severe depression. And the time machine looks like a namekian ship

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 6, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Took my mom to see Top Gun: Maverick as a birthday gift. Don't know if I ever sat down and watched the original all the way through but I don't think I missed anything anyways. Pretty fun plane movie. 7/10.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thor: Love and Thunder - Was fun but they packed in way too many jokes and Russell Crows accent was a bit too much. Felt like an incredibly sugery drink, which i was down for. 7/10

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 6, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jenny Agutter posted:

Watched this today, really enjoyed it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toute la memoire du monde Fantastic little documentary on the French National Library, but also a rumination on memory and knowledge and its purpose in human existence. After having been disappointed in so many documentary films I've seen it's fantastic to see one shot well, and with an interesting premise and ideas. Its framing of the building as a fortress where humanity fiercely guards its past or as a prison to hold the annals is far, far cry from the pointless celebrity talking heads of the average American doc. And its distinction in universal and personal knowledge is quite the thing to ponder. Highly recommended if you've got twenty minutes and a Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRwZtIajGpE

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bob le flambeur, one of the most unexpected endings I've ever encountered. It works as a heist movie, but in truth the real interest is in the window into Pigalleian nightlife and in the character study of Bob, his protege, and their love interest.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Man Police Story makes no sense as a story but the action is fun as hell. I love that they showed the big mall stunt 3 times from different angles!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jackie Chan nearly died doing that scene, what a champ.

Anyways I'm nearly watching Colossal (2016) and it's boring and doesn't have any fun with it's premise. 5/10

e: how did she know the monster thing would work in reverse? how did she know where jason sudeikas was in relation to the monster at the end when before she needed live camera footage to see the monster in seoul? none of this works third act doesn't make any sense at all, changing it to a 3/10.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 9, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Thor 4 was just ok. MCU Phase 4 most mid, except Dr. Strange 2 and that was mostly Raimi's doing. Funny but forgettable. Christian Bale was the best thing about it and he's barely in the drat thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Irma Vep The whole crew were insufferable. They make fun of Vidal for being a has been making bad movies currently, but they're all so wrapped up in their own bullshit they've got no vision for what they're working on. The guy walking Maggie through her hypnotization scene has no ability to work with actors. The whole film felt like a hypercritical look at the state of the French Cinema of the time. Either you're a young person too wrapped up in Van Damme and Arnie movies to create anything good, or your an elder statesmen of cinema who vacillates between making movies that nobody wants to see, or making movies to sleep with the stars.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Night Of The Living Dead (1968) since I'm kinda addicted to playing Project Zomboid. Incredible to think that the entire zombie genre came from this movie and much of what follow borrowed from it. Wonder what it was like watching it for the first time back then? Barbra was very annoying and the beginning of the movie suffered for it but after the rest of the cast show up things improve by a lot. What the gently caress so they just straight up shot Ben without even checking if he was a zombie or not. Not so subtle commentary on racism perhaps? If they had stayed in the cellar since the beginning they would have probably survived.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Conversation Hackman playing against type and he nailed it. His character is such an awkward poorly socialized paranoid individual it's hard to imagine the same man played Popeye Doyle. Even in Night Moves where he's playing in a similar space, he comes off as this masculine powerful force who might gently caress up but is also a force of change who can impact his environment. In this film he's far more competent, but utterly impotent. He manages to impact nothing in the plot except losing his only friends and his girlfriend. He doesn't prevent the murder, he doesn't even call the police. He sits in a room and just listens.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Night Of The Living Dead (1968) since I'm kinda addicted to playing Project Zomboid. Incredible to think that the entire zombie genre came from this movie and much of what follow borrowed from it. Wonder what it was like watching it for the first time back then? Barbra was very annoying and the beginning of the movie suffered for it but after the rest of the cast show up things improve by a lot. What the gently caress so they just straight up shot Ben without even checking if he was a zombie or not. Not so subtle commentary on racism perhaps? If they had stayed in the cellar since the beginning they would have probably survived.

Romero's whole thing is unsubtle (wonderful and fiery) big themes so you are right on the money. Dawn of the Dead is his magnum opus imo and I highly recommend it if you are interested in the foundations of the zombie genre.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Famethrowa posted:

Romero's whole thing is unsubtle (wonderful and fiery) big themes so you are right on the money. Dawn of the Dead is his magnum opus imo and I highly recommend it if you are interested in the foundations of the zombie genre.

I plan on watching it yeah, I'll check out all of his zombie movies eventually.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Dawn of the Dead (1978) is an immensely entertaining movie, I had a huge grin on my face throughout most of it while watching. It's great to see how (mostly) genre-savvy the characters are already when it's the second movie in the franchise. Now I know where Dead Rising stole its setting from. Hell, they even use the ducts like they do in this movie! There's a lot of humor in the movie too like early on when they were taunting the zombies to distract them, and the scene where the raiders are just having fun with the zombies and throwing pies in their faces was hilarious and it's totally something you'd see someone come up with nowadays. The characters were great too and now the female lead is actually more proactive! Though I wonder why Roger just started acting like a goddamn lunatic, it's like he had a death wish or something after that close-encounter with a group of zombies in the truck. Maybe the blood infected him somewhat? Or maybe it was just shock? In any case, always remember: overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. Stephen turning into one of them and going into their own hideout was both terrifying and sad. And not sure why Peter had to wait until the last moment to get into da choppah but otherwise everything they did made a lot of sense. They even actually secured the mall! Good thing it wasn't as infested as it could have been or it would have been a nightmare. The gore was great too! In the first movie I wondered what color the zombies were since I watched it in black and white but I didn't expect them to be blue-ish.

Also:

dat rear end.

EDIT: WHAT THE gently caress THE ACTOR WHO PLAYED PETER ALSO PLAYS KENAN'S FATHER IN KENAN & KEL

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Scary Owl posted:

Dawn of the Dead (1978) is an immensely entertaining movie, I had a huge grin on my face throughout most of it while watching. It's great to see how (mostly) genre-savvy the characters are already when it's the second movie in the franchise. Now I know where Dead Rising stole its setting from. Hell, they even use the ducts like they do in this movie! There's a lot of humor in the movie too like early on when they were taunting the zombies to distract them, and the scene where the raiders are just having fun with the zombies and throwing pies in their faces was hilarious and it's totally something you'd see someone come up with nowadays. The characters were great too and now the female lead is actually more proactive! Though I wonder why Roger just started acting like a goddamn lunatic, it's like he had a death wish or something after that close-encounter with a group of zombies in the truck. Maybe the blood infected him somewhat? Or maybe it was just shock? In any case, always remember: overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. Stephen turning into one of them and going into their own hideout was both terrifying and sad. And not sure why Peter had to wait until the last moment to get into da choppah but otherwise everything they did made a lot of sense. They even actually secured the mall! Good thing it wasn't as infested as it could have been or it would have been a nightmare. The gore was great too! In the first movie I wondered what color the zombies were since I watched it in black and white but I didn't expect them to be blue-ish.

Also:

dat rear end.

EDIT: WHAT THE gently caress THE ACTOR WHO PLAYED PETER ALSO PLAYS KENAN'S FATHER IN KENAN & KEL

Also the actor who played Roger later discovered he was obscure European royalty and is now hella rich