Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
played a credit of turtles in time snes just now and forgot how to throw dudes. which is like 90% of what you do in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

mycophobia posted:

played a credit of turtles in time snes just now and forgot how to throw dudes. which is like 90% of what you do in that game
you hit them so they're stunned then step forward a bit and press attack again

if you're holding a direction, you'll throw them, if not you'll do the multi-slam

when I was a kid I thought it was to do with positioning your body over theirs, but now that I'm thinking about it it might just be a command grab. punch forward punch

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yeah i eventually remembered by the end of the first stage lol. "why am i not grabbing these guys. how do you grab. i cant remember. is it a button? no of course it isnt. gently caress. oh you don't grab in this game" this is a game ive probably put a few dozen hours into, and not even that long ago

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

press throw to throw

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

press throw to throw

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

16) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

A lot of fun with a surprisingly brutal final boss and an even more surprisingly nice story. Will take the postgame a lot more slowly, I kinda blew through the whole story in 2 or 3 days

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[32] Metal Gear (NES) 7/2/22

Review:
I know it isn't as good as the MSX version, but I still really like this version. This was the first Metal Gear game I played when I was 6 or 7 on the NES and I always was fond of the game. I remember sitting down with my dad and us following a walkthrough from Nintendo Power or something and beating the game over the course of many weeks. The music is great, the graphics and gameplay are great and translate well from the MSX version even if there are a lot of cuts to things, including the ending sadly. Overall I do think this is a great port outside of a few things and especially the translation, which leaves a lot to be desired. The bosses are pretty unique, if easy, and this time I only got stuck on the secret wall bullshit at the end and had to look it up. Also, the trap floor poo poo killed me because I'm getting too old for my reactions.

8/10

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

astro boy omega factor - fun bosses, bad levels. classic treasure.
metal warriors - solid a-tier multiplayer, d-tier story mode
the looker - really funny witness parody, thank you imp zone for telling me about it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
elden ring : goty 2022 maybe? just so unbelievably good, and after so much hype. took the ranni ending obviously. dunno if ill do ng+ or just roll a new guy

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1. Tell Me Why
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
  4. Elden Ring
  5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Forgot to post when I beat Elden Ring. It's a 5/5, nothing more to say since everyone knows.

Wrapped up my D3 Witch Doctor run at lvl69. It was really fun, gonna get him to 70 in adventure mode then swap to Xenoblade 2.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Beat the Touryst

Reminded me a lot of the flash games on Newgrounds where you'd just wander around an rpg style town doing fetch quests and playing really easy minigames. This is kinda like an upscaled version of that, it's weirdly nostalgic. That being said there's more style here than substance, and it's not particularly stylish.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Metal Gear (MSX)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

finished heavily modded Fallout New vegas and all the dlcs with the ncr ending and probably made everyone's lives worse isntead of helping cesar or just killing everyone. focused on speech and guns for the early game since those are always the best skills in fallout. cool game, much better than fallout 2. kind of want to replay fallout 1 for the millionth time now. thanks. should have realized that lonesome road, dead money, and old world blues dlcs were written by Christ "Chris" Avellone because no one will shut the gently caress up or stop delivering monologues.

i also finished Suzuki Bakuhatsu aka "Suzuki Explosion." you are suzuki and you navigate a series of mostly still photos with the circle button until you find a bomb. can you help suzuki disassemble oranges, motors, the moon, and the human soul to deactivate the bombs inside?

my overall suzuki level was a C tho and i didn't get the puzzle where you disassemble a not-gundam.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mega Man Zero. Great game, stages generally were fairly easy and early bosses were tough although the refights were extremely easy once you figure out each boss’s weakness. Wish the camera was zoomed out a little more but the pixel art was great. Looking forward to playing the rest

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Trails in the sky SC: really good. Really like the battle system and materia. The formulaic bits (visiting each region in turn) dragged just a little after having just played FC, but that's the only minor complaint. Only 1000 more hours of trails to play :letsgo:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I beat the four routes in the game between its 2019 release and early last year, but this was my first time replaying one, to refresh myself of the story and characters before playing Three Hopes. I did Silver Snow this time since that was the first one I did when I first played the game. I've posted enough words about this game in the various Games Beat threads the last 4 times I beat it so I'll keep it short and just say that it's still a fantastic game and one of my all-time favorites, love the gameplay, love the story, love the characters (except that prick Hubert). A little annoying having to deal with weapon durability again after it didn't exist in any of the Fates games or what I played of Shadows of Valentia. It was nice playing again with the knowledge of the story's other perspectives, which made a few things click into place better than they did the first time. Really looking forward to where the series goes from here, hopefully we're not too far from an announcement.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I beat the four routes in the game between its 2019 release and early last year, but this was my first time replaying one, to refresh myself of the story and characters before playing Three Hopes. I did Silver Snow this time since that was the first one I did when I first played the game. I've posted enough words about this game in the various Games Beat threads the last 4 times I beat it so I'll keep it short and just say that it's still a fantastic game and one of my all-time favorites, love the gameplay, love the story, love the characters (except that prick Hubert). A little annoying having to deal with weapon durability again after it didn't exist in any of the Fates games or what I played of Shadows of Valentia. It was nice playing again with the knowledge of the story's other perspectives, which made a few things click into place better than they did the first time. Really looking forward to where the series goes from here, hopefully we're not too far from an announcement.

GL with 3 Hopes! I’m gonna do a playthrough of houses before jumping into that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

fadam posted:

GL with 3 Hopes! I’m gonna do a playthrough of houses before jumping into that.

:cheerdoge: I'm really looking forward to it, based on the demo it's both a really good at being a musou and at capturing the feel of Three Houses' world and characters

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3
3) Detroit: Become Human
4) A Legionary's Life
5) Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
6) Armoured Commander II
7) DEADBOLT

Pretty fun game! Kinda reminds me of Gunpoint, but longer and harder. Very fun little game with some challenging levels - I'll probably come back to it now and again, just to blast away at some undead

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
mirrors edge: all hidden bags
i figured out how to make each dlc time trial map have different times, but theyll share it with at least one main level each. idc about speedrunning the main game so ill do this later

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

10. Carrion

i mentioned in the Friday Night thread that it seemed like a game where the main draw could wear thin quickly. thankfully that wasn't the case, partly because it's a pretty drat short game (took me about five hours), and partly because the upgrades you accumulate let you strategize to take down enemies in different ways. being a bloodthirsty abomination and tearing through a research facility and its various outposts was pretty fun. it did get a bit annoying toward the end having to backtrack to "deposit biomass," i.e. shed a layer of yourself so you could use certain abilities exclusive to that form. was also weird to never have a map as far as i'm aware? the game's pretty linear though and i got lost or stuck maybe three times max. i don't think i'd spend $20 for it but i was gifted it and had a good time, so i can't complain.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[33] Snake's Revenge (NES) 7/4/22

Review:
Probably one of the most overall difficult NES games I've ever played. I know I played this a lot as a kid, and remember certain bosses and parts, but I'm unsure I ever beat it. The bosses are very unfair and difficult, but still fun to try and figure out. The music is absolutely great, some truly great tunes. Good graphics as well for 1990. The level design is frankly, much better than Metal Gear and a little more linear with distinct stages. The side scrolling parts are a challenge, and I don't really like them, but they do break up the stages and mechanics. I have a soft spot for this game as the ugly stepchild in the series but I think they did their best making a sequel to MG that Kojima didn't want to make until he saw this. It's also a better Metal Gear game than MGSV. The worst parts of this game are how often you will die and have to backtrack and collect items, but the checkpoints are somewhat generous for a NES game.

7/10

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
22. Avatar for the Xbox 360 (Na'vi Ending, Max Avatar Level)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Mamkute posted:

22. Avatar for the Xbox 360 (Na'vi Ending, Max Avatar Level)

https://i.imgur.com/LqACDlR.mp4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Omori: it was great, the final slideshow of Mari and sunny growing up got me good :negative:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring
5. Rolling Gunner Overpower
6. Sekiro
7. Blazing Chrome
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. RimWorld
11. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
13. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel

Konami used to make really good games.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 6, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

11. Superliminal

it got trippy by the end and the puzzles were mind-bendy, but it felt a lot more like a tech demo than a $20 game when i beat it in one sitting, and the narrative ending with (paraphrasing) "we can tackle many of our problems by just thinking outside the box" felt like it came right from a kid's cartoon. there's several other modes you unlock once you beat the main game but i don't really feel an urge to check them out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Metal Gear (PS2 port of the MSX version). Code-name: "Deer." Occasionally frustrating but still a lot of fun. It was really interesting to see the germ of a lot of ideas and moments that get revisited later on in the MGS series. My first time finishing the game, might be fun to revisit later to try and beat my time but for now I'm going to move on to MG2.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

31) My Friend Pedro

A very cathartic experience of backflipping off walls, kicking skateboards into peoples faces and mowing down thousands of mooks otherwise ruined by some terrible levels towards the end. Last two bosses were great, but those levels leading up to them were some serious dogshit

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

17) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (FOXHOUND rank)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Evil Eagle posted:

17) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (FOXHOUND rank)

o7

I’ve beat mgs3 probably ten times but never on euro extreme and never foxhounded. I think game club is the time to master one of my favorite games.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I think I like this a lot more than 1. It feels really good to get a good fusion combo to chain attack going and spread a boss's cheeks by doing most or all of their health bar. I don't mind the affinity+trust system that much since 10m merc missions and pouch items make that mostly moot and there's too many drat blades already for me to worry about maxing all of it. The blade pull rng sucks but pretty much all of the story blades save Dromarch are decent and Poppi is a monster if you play tiger tiger even a little bit.

Final area has that sad empty sci fi masoleum vibe that I adore in JRPGs. Here I'm mainly thinking of the tower of salvation from tales of symphonia, or for not towers the bunker from nier automata and great silver shrine from skies of arcadia.

Between this and Elden Ring (though in a very different way) this has been an insane year for maximalist rpgs for me, and it looks like XC3 is shaping up to have an even more more involved combat system. I'm excited for it but until then I'll work on Torna and postgame / new game +.

-----
Best field themes: Tantal Day/Night, Mor Ardain day, World Tree
Best blade: Poppi 3rd
Best driver: Zeke

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

o7

I’ve beat mgs3 probably ten times but never on euro extreme and never foxhounded. I think game club is the time to master one of my favorite games.

Good luck imp. The hardest part is skipping most of the cutscenes

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 6, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Eastward

Pretty good game packaged with a really weird and frustrating story.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Hitman trilogy, all base missions and DLC done at least twice on Professional. Probably the best stealth game I've ever played. Not done yet tho, beginning the Master difficulty run of every mission start to finish, then I'm going to knock out the sniper and SASO challenges. The ray tracing makes every map look amazing and it's a great game for it, worth the wait

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SASO runs bring an entirely new level of appreciation to their level design, it's master class poo poo top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1. Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster
2. Monster Hunter Rise (first credits)
3. Elden Ring
4. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Hard Mode (all main missions)
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo - hard, all side missions, all yokai
6. Chrono Trigger - All Sidequests
7. Death Stranding
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 4p co-op (Michelangelo)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

There's a decent amount of stuff in this game that drives me nuts, but on the whole I think it's the best open world game ever made. I love games where you can use a bunch of broadly applicable tools to find neat, non-obvious solutions to puzzles (I think everyone had the moment in the electricity shrine where you realize your metal weapons pass current so you can bypass a ton of the actual shrine's mechanics), an d this might be second only to Deus Ex in how creative you can get.

Based on Nintendo's track record for first party sequels I'm certain BotW 2 is going to be the best game ever made.