Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well I guess NASA solved the problem of how to make room for the two Russian hitchhikers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bawfuls posted:

It is a curious sort of straddling this show has taken, where overall the message is very clear that the survival of the Soviet Union has been very good for world history, but the Soviets are still portrayed largely as a menacing, mysterious, reckless force in space.

Isn't that partly due to the simple fact that the show is illustrated through Ed an American point of view? From the Soviet side of things, the Americans must seem menacing and mysterious, since the Cold War part of the show means that both sides are secretive and paranoid.

And as posted above, the show has directly shown US forces be reckless and stupid in space. The fear of the Cold War was that either side could ignite a huge, civilization-ending conflict by some jerk (Ed) doing something stupid that seemed sensible to the jerk at the time.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Also, Chekhov’s North Korean rocket!

There's definitely going to be some loving weird North Korean poo poo happening. It's twice they've put it in as a throwaway line now. The first time caused the initial incident in episode 1. I have 0 doubt that this one is going to cause some fuckery.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Helios ship goes back and rescues everyone but is unable to get any fuel or supplies and they have to take a long and hungry trip back to earth without touching Mars.

Then the North Koreans land their little probe and to the shock of the world someone climbs out of it and plants a North Korean flag and falls over dead.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Mokotow posted:

Calling it now - all three crews end up on one ship heading to Mars, resulting in a huge slap fight about who gets to walk the planet first.

They will all end up on the Helios ship, argue about who gets to set foot on Mars first before agreeing to all do it at the same time. They'll get to Mars though and discover North Korea/China has already beaten them all.

I was hoping they'd incorporate the communications delay, but how did NASA

a) have a real time feed of what the Russian ship's engine temperature was and
b) have no delay in seeing that but a 5 minute delay in radio comms

or am I misreading the scene and that temperature readout was on a 5 minute delay too so by the time NASA saw it was an issue it would have already been too late?

edit: I thought the Russian ship was gonna be armed and that whole radio warning to Kelly was just before they launched missiles or something.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 2, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

nexus6 posted:

I was hoping they'd incorporate the communications delay, but how did NASA

a) have a real time feed of what the Russian ship's engine temperature was and
b) have no delay in seeing that but a 5 minute delay in radio comms

or am I misreading the scene and that temperature readout was on a 5 minute delay too so by the time NASA saw it was an issue it would have already been too late?

absolutely nothing indicated they were getting the russian engine temperature faster than light, did a character need to mention the 5 minute delay in regards to every individual thing?

"The Russian engines started overheating 5 minutes ago!"
"Why didn't you tell me 5 minutes ago!?"
"Due to the 5 minute delay we just found out."

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

TIP posted:

absolutely nothing indicated they were getting the russian engine temperature faster than light, did a character need to mention the 5 minute delay in regards to every individual thing?

"The Russian engines started overheating 5 minutes ago!"
"Why didn't you tell me 5 minutes ago!?"
"Due to the 5 minute delay we just found out."

I guess I misinterpreted it then.

"poo poo, the Russian engines are overheating now. I'll send a warning!"
"They won't get the warning for 5 minutes"

not

"Those readings are 5 minutes old, they won't get the warning until too late"

Still don't understand why Houston is receiving readings from the Russian spacecraft though.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If it’s a close copy of the American engine, being able to get unwitting tech support from the original designers seems like a win. Doubly so if it’s bilateral feed sharing and the Russians can collect performance data on the competition.

Alternatively NASA could be eavesdropping and decrypting Russian comms.

What’s the bet the North Korean probe will be intercepted and stripped for parts/fuel?

Welsper fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 2, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

nexus6 posted:

I guess I misinterpreted it then.

"poo poo, the Russian engines are overheating now. I'll send a warning!"
"They won't get the warning for 5 minutes"

not

"Those readings are 5 minutes old, they won't get the warning until too late"

Still don't understand why Houston is receiving readings from the Russian spacecraft though.

It wasn't just you, that was handled a little clunky.

I'll spoiler this since it's my dumb fan theory:
The close up footage of the Russian engines ends up revealing that the Russians had access to US designs, either by itself or in combination with Margo sometimes saying things out loud that she probably shouldn't know about Russian systems.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 2, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
lol that this season keeps using unmoored cabling the same way a slasher movie uses a serial killer villain.

Scene was cool, and felt more brutal than a lot of other television airing right now, e.g. The Boys, Stranger Things, even though I know it's probably not -- a classic case of less being more, I guess.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ivan cooking alive in his suit was pretty nuts. I enjoy that the show doesn’t shy away from spaces ability to gently caress you up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget the guy whose tether threw him directly into engine exhaust. This show has brutal deaths.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Ivan cooking alive in his suit was pretty nuts. I enjoy that the show doesn’t shy away from spaces ability to gently caress you up.

One of my favorite aspects of this show is it never forgets space is extremely hostile to human life.

Is the smooshed astronaut embedded into one of the shuttles or is there a human pancake floating around?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TIP posted:

The Helios ship goes back and rescues everyone but is unable to get any fuel or supplies and they have to take a long and hungry trip back to earth without touching Mars.

Then the North Koreans land their little probe and to the shock of the world someone climbs out of it and plants a North Korean flag and falls over dead.

Yeah it's gonna turn out they laika'ed some poor rear end in a top hat and NK is def the only ones getting to the surface (with no plan for extraction)

Spacebump posted:

Is the smooshed astronaut embedded into one of the shuttles or is there a human pancake floating around?

I think there is plenty of... adhesive, so what's left will be sticking to the ship(s) at least until they burn.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spacebump posted:

One of my favorite aspects of this show is it never forgets space is extremely hostile to human life.

The pancake is still (partially) contained in a suit, which is still tethered to Sojourner.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah, if the suit ruptured, which I'd assume it did, I would think the new "adhesive" would freeze to the surface of the ship. Or, wait, would it boil/sublimate?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I hope this ends up like Avenue 5's poop cloud except with squashed astronaut gibs.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
It looks like NASA is interested in building NERVA engines again:

https://usnc.com/ultra-safe-nuclear-technologies-delivers-advanced-nuclear-thermal-propulsion-design-to-nasa/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just got caught up with S3 and the tech really continues to feel a decade too early for me. I know it's an alternate timeline, but it's still only 25 years since Apollo 11. I really miss the retro feeling of the earlier seasons, with the name dropping of Aliens it makes me wish their ships were all decked out instead with CRTs and the like.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Just got caught up with S3 and the tech really continues to feel a decade too early for me. I know it's an alternate timeline, but it's still only 25 years since Apollo 11. I really miss the retro feeling of the earlier seasons, with the name dropping of Aliens it makes me wish their ships were all decked out instead with CRTs and the like.

I just feel like that’s what happens when you fund NASA instead of bullshit wars in the Middle East.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it's probably not super surprising that with how much funding NASA has (plus their revenue with the helium 3 stuff) that they would be able to dump money into research and create modern LCDs 20 years ahead of time.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

nexus6 posted:

All the spacecraft would be transmitting telemetry back to Earth. If you can receive data from all three, why not keep an eye on the competition?

Historically, the United States did plenty of eavesdropping on Soviet rocket telemetry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And Soviets did the same--one of the many arguments against the moon landing hoax idiots is the Soviets monitored the missions as well and sure as poo poo would've said something if they were fake.

Even if the telemetry were encrypted, by the point we see the feed in NASA they were in contact with the Soviets about it and presumably were allowing NASA to see what was going on so they could help rescue the crew.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Re: tech, someone upthread was laughing about iPods being available in 1994 but that's only 7 years earlier than they actually came out. To us, 1994->2001 feels like ages apart but if there was the funding and will to get things done just a bit sooner, starting in the late 1960s, a 7 year jump on things like iPods seems extremely reasonable

And with regard to CRTs, flatscreens make a ton of sense as to something they'd put tons of effort and funding into developing- not only does the form factor make sense on spaceships but the difference in mass and the lack of a potentially hazardous vacuum tube are all enormous pluses

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Plus this world seems a lot more environmentally conscious than ours, LCDs aren't great but they're a hell of a lot better than a glass tube filled with poison

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Riptor posted:

Re: tech, someone upthread was laughing about iPods being available in 1994 but that's only 7 years earlier than they actually came out. To us, 1994->2001 feels like ages apart but if there was the funding and will to get things done just a bit sooner, starting in the late 1960s, a 7 year jump on things like iPods seems extremely reasonable

And with regard to CRTs, flatscreens make a ton of sense as to something they'd put tons of effort and funding into developing- not only does the form factor make sense on spaceships but the difference in mass and the lack of a potentially hazardous vacuum tube are all enormous pluses

The real what about ipods is Steve that wouldn’t be at Apple at that time. I mean I guess in this timeline maybe he didn’t get ousted but he would still be Steve and I feel like getting his dick stepped on is what made the return work out the way it did.

The real answer is the show is on Apple + and they aren’t gonna show no generic MP3 player.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
If the engines are considered the back/stern of the Sojourner 1, then Mars-94 was off the right/starboard side of Sojourner 1 during the rescue. When things started going wrong, Danielle commanded "Everybody clear the port side." Then, "All hands, clear to starboard."

Starboard was where the danger was, Danni. There was nothing but deep space off the port side. You killed them all. And you fancy yourself a pirate. :sad:

Edit: Unless they were flying inverted, I guess.

Curly Shuffle fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 3, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This fuckin show is quickly making its way into my top 10 of all time. Like a rocket ship.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: this moon conspiracy.

It's been a while since last season, but a) most everything everyone's talking about in this episode is incorrect, and b) there actually was something dodgy involving the base's reactor, right?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The dodgy thing was the Pentagon hid a secret second reactor in the base for making weapons-grade plutonium.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The marines lied about there being weapons in the case the Russians had too when the one cosmonaut got roasted alive in his suit.
Didn't they?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Open Source Idiom posted:

Re: this moon conspiracy.

It's been a while since last season, but a) most everything everyone's talking about in this episode is incorrect, and b) there actually was something dodgy involving the base's reactor, right?

Yeah what jackhunter said. The conspiracy largely seemed to be based off “it has to be a coverup because my hero American friend couldn’t have been killed by a ruski”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy also said that the reactor had a back up cooling loop, which was true. The second, secret reactor was not on the backup loop.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh right, we have a thread for this show! Love how quickly season 3 is moving.

Steamrollered cosmonaut was an impressively brutal gore-less death scene.

Ed is the only outright villain of the show for not reciprocating a Hi Bob.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I get that they need to create drama and tension on a boring journey somehow, but the ~secret~ solar sail was super contrived. Would a tiny sail like that even create any significant force with such a massive ship?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I get that they need to create drama and tension on a boring journey somehow, but the ~secret~ solar sail was super contrived. Would a tiny sail like that even create any significant force with such a massive ship?

It's a long journey and the acceleration is constant so even a tiny amount would easily get them to first place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Probably not, though it was a lot bigger than solar sails usually are in TV so I appreciated the attempt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol they made the Space Race an actual "fast and furious" race complete with danger to manifold.

Good episode, the show doesn't have to be 100% space shenanigans but when it's just earth drama it can get pretty boring.

Why did they make the defector guy receive the russkies? It's like the most awkward role possible for him, could've easily been filming the valves.

teacup posted:

Just wanna say I told ya so anyone who thought this poo poo would idolise musk
Looks like he made the right call after all :smugbert:

Riptor posted:

1998:

I get that things could theoretically develop faster (and LCD monitors were a thing in mid 90s) but it's just disappointing from a set design point of view. It's just kind of boring, especially Hooli Helios offices last episode were clearly just filmed in an actual 2022 tech office instead of some weird retro-futuristic mix.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mobby_6kl posted:

Why did they make the defector guy receive the russkies? It's like the most awkward role possible for him, could've easily been filming the valves.

Speaks Russian the best, doesn't have any other uniquely helpful skills for the ridiculous mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mobby_6kl posted:

I get that things could theoretically develop faster (and LCD monitors were a thing in mid 90s) but it's just disappointing from a set design point of view. It's just kind of boring, especially Hooli Helios offices last episode were clearly just filmed in an actual 2022 tech office instead of some weird retro-futuristic mix.

Severance has really spoiled me, but I have to remind myself that really most of the alt-tech design in that show is very self-contained in a small area and they leaned a lot on real-world retro-futuristic locations like that Bell Labs research center in NJ. It probably would have been fuggin' expensive to do that pervasive a level of design for a FAM alt-history that blends present-day and 1980s and weird-skewed-unstuck-in-time-aesthetic-we-can't-even-really-imagine-because-it's-a-different-timeline, and would have to be evident in the entire world from cars to spacecraft to phones to TVs and everything else, not just certain self-contained scenes.