Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Flytrap posted:

"The female model has an actual character design and the male model looks like an unfinished background NPC" is a problem in a loooot of games and I have no clue why it's so prevalent.

I mean usually it's a case of the dude is the self-insert and the lady is the character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No matter how you feel about Shez's design I don't think anyone thinks he looks like a background npc.

Yeah. That applies way more to Byleth. Disliking Shez's design is just regular disliking a design.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. That applies way more to Byleth. Disliking Shez's design is just regular disliking a design.

I mean, I think it's definitely accurate that nearly every character in the game has a very expressive design that tells you something about them:
  • Ferdinand's design tells you that he's more self-confident than a human has a right to be.
  • Marianne's design tells you that she's five minutes away from a serious nervous breakdown.
  • Hilda's design tells you that she will absolutely complain about how you got your blood all over her while she was killing you.
  • Hubert's design tells you that he was raised from birth to be an evil vizier.

By comparison, Shez' design really only communicates that he's a Nice Guy with Protagonist Hair.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I actually like male Byleth's academic regalia crossed with armor design, but it definitely looks more like something the Church would give him over what he would be wearing as a normal mercenary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can see male or female Byleth as the protagonist but Shez is lady or nothing else. I can't picture half the scenes with the dude design.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I think it's definitely accurate that nearly every character in the game has a very expressive design that tells you something about them:
  • Ferdinand's design tells you that he's more self-confident than a human has a right to be.
  • Marianne's design tells you that she's five minutes away from a serious nervous breakdown.
  • Hilda's design tells you that she will absolutely complain about how you got your blood all over her while she was killing you.
  • Hubert's design tells you that he was raised from birth to be an evil vizier.

By comparison, Shez' design really only communicates that he's a Nice Guy with Protagonist Hair.

Shez's design has a lot more than that going on, even if you don't like it.

The one eye covered thing says "mysterious past", the armor has enough coverage to say professional while being messy enough to suggest a merc rather than a member of a formal army, the spiky hair says shonen protagonist of the dumb-but-weirdly-capable school... even the scarf is an obvious Kamen Rider callback, which is appropriate for reasons I shouldn't need to explain.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You need to play Fem Shez in Blue Lions though unless you wanna play with an army of dudes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am a bit sad they didn't backport Shez as a bonus character to Three Houses though. It'd be kinda fun to have them show up as a recruitable mercenary or something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I forgot awakening was a thing until just now in chapter 6 or w/e of Eagles

That said is there a Zelda-esque adventure mode kinda deal? Just curious if this has any post game or if it's just the 3 routes and that's kinda it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
HW's adventure mode was a one-off that I desperately want them to come back to some day but they persist in not doing so

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

I can see male or female Byleth as the protagonist but Shez is lady or nothing else. I can't picture half the scenes with the dude design.

I think the scenes are fine with either, they just take slightly different connotations. M.Shez feels a lot like generically friendly shonen protag while F.Shez has slightly more sass.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Ferdinand's design tells you that he's more self-confident than a human has a right to be.
Marianne's design tells you that she's five minutes away from a serious nervous breakdown.
Hilda's design tells you that she will absolutely complain about how you got your blood all over her while she was killing you.

In all three of these, you're backfilling knowledge you already have. I don't feel their designs tell you these things at all. What, is pink meant to tell you she'll go EW?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think the supports might be different for the different Shezes because I have to assume that “Flayn and Shez go shopping and then become concerned that Seteth might take issue with Flayn being alone with a man” would probably not work with female Shez

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What's with those "gonna find a lost item in the stronghold" side quests? Am I supposed to just waste time standing there or what? What does failing side missions even do?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How does NG+ treat class levels if you change Shez's gender? Do the points in Warmaster just get translated to Falcon Knight?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So... I got bored and tried turning Iggy into a thief and the result is incredible.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tired Moritz posted:

What's with those "gonna find a lost item in the stronghold" side quests? Am I supposed to just waste time standing there or what? What does failing side missions even do?

Anything that's a "find the X" just requires you to send anyone to each stronghold with a green box around it, the instant anyone sets foot in it you'll get a popup of "Your faction army is searching X stronghold" and it'll either complete or not (or trigger an event spawn of some sort)

afaik the only result of completing (or not) the side quests are:
- in-the-moment rewards or penalties (helpful NPC spawns/buffs or detrimental enemy spawns/buffs)
- A flat post-level 20% increase to reward gold if you completed (or didn't fail?) all available sidequests, I think-- I honestly haven't paid close enough attention to the "sidequest" percent on the post-battle score screen to tell that for sure

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I can't picture a lot of the scenes in this game involving Byleth with lady Byleth. F Byleth's general design doesn't really feel suited at all to the cold emotionless death robot + darth vader/lu bu schtick Byleth has going on for most of the game, while male Byleth feels natural to me.

I think it's a combination of face design - F Byleth's face is a lot more wide-eyed and expressive than M Byleth's - and outfit design, where M Byleth's outfit can easily be taken to be a knockoff Sith robe while F Byleth has the short sleeves and wild leggings thing going on which reads way more "protagonist" to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I can't picture a lot of the scenes in this game involving Byleth with lady Byleth. F Byleth's general design doesn't really feel suited at all to the cold emotionless death robot + darth vader/lu bu schtick Byleth has going on for most of the game, while male Byleth feels natural to me.

I think it's a combination of face design - F Byleth's face is a lot more wide-eyed and expressive than M Byleth's - and outfit design, where M Byleth's outfit can easily be taken to be a knockoff Sith robe while F Byleth has the short sleeves and wild leggings thing going on which reads way more "protagonist" to me.

I feel the exact opposite. F Byleth excels at being cold and emotionless exactly because of those things. The weird flatness she has stands out a whole lot more on a face that looks like it should be emoting more than it is. It's actually better here than in TH because Byleth is her own character with dialogue and cutscenes so it becomes very clear that Byleth isn't evil or a robot but just extremely loving offputting. The generic male design doesn't come close to capturing the same feel.

I think that's important to making Byleth interesting because they're not evil or cruel. They are just flat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Anything that's a "find the X" just requires you to send anyone to each stronghold with a green box around it, the instant anyone sets foot in it you'll get a popup of "Your faction army is searching X stronghold" and it'll either complete or not (or trigger an event spawn of some sort)

afaik the only result of completing (or not) the side quests are:
- in-the-moment rewards or penalties (helpful NPC spawns/buffs or detrimental enemy spawns/buffs)
- A flat post-level 20% increase to reward gold if you completed (or didn't fail?) all available sidequests, I think-- I honestly haven't paid close enough attention to the "sidequest" percent on the post-battle score screen to tell that for sure

Its +10% for each completed sidequest

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I feel the exact opposite. F Byleth excels at being cold and emotionless exactly because of those things. The weird flatness she has stands out a whole lot more on a face that looks like it should be emoting more than it is. It's actually better here than in TH because Byleth is her own character with dialogue and cutscenes so it becomes very clear that Byleth isn't evil or a robot but just extremely loving offputting. The generic male design doesn't come close to capturing the same feel.

I think that's important to making Byleth interesting because they're not evil or cruel. They are just flat.

I think the fact that M Byleth looks like a Kylo Ren cosplayer plays into these themes a lot, though. He's dressed and looks like an evil emotionless villain and isn't either of those things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
F!Blyeth's stockings are still so bad 3 years later

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tae posted:

F!Blyeth's stockings are still so bad 3 years later

I'm curious where F!Byleth got her fashion sense from since Jeralt doesn't dress in anything crazy.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How does NG+ treat class levels if you change Shez's gender? Do the points in Warmaster just get translated to Falcon Knight?

I switched from FShez to MShez and the points in Gremory are just not visible, but he can equip the ability she got from it, so pretty much the same as in Three Houses. I'm slightly regretting my choice because FShez sounds way cooler, but I'm also doing Blue Lions, so apparently that feeling won't go away any time soon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm curious where F!Byleth got her fashion sense from since Jeralt doesn't dress in anything crazy.

You never know if Jeralt was full-on Joseph Joestar in his youth

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

Small touch I didn't notice while playing the demo but do appreciate is that the reason Edelgard trusts Shez even though they have slither powers is because Shez helped her bust Monica out, when any actual slither plant would have tried to stop her. It makes a lot more sense than Dimitri and Claude just kinda shrugging like "eh no biggie."

I actually liked Dimitri's demo response best; power is power, all that matters is how you use it. You saved our lives, ergo your power cannot be evil. He's a simple lad and sometimes that works out in his favor.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You keep the points and skills, but cannot use the class. If you went pegasus knight -> paladin, you can still make Hez a paladin because you've got the class unlocked even though you no longer have a prerequisite.

I'm doing a playthrough with male Shez chiefly to unlock the male-exclusive skills on them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ImpAtom posted:

I am a bit sad they didn't backport Shez as a bonus character to Three Houses though. It'd be kinda fun to have them show up as a recruitable mercenary or something.

I'm pretty sure the implication is that in Three Houses Byleth kills Shez instead of sparing them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Either that or 6 months later Shez gets even more lost on the way to Remire and is napping under a bush when the 3 Lords run by.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Judge Tesla posted:

Jeralt can barely raise Byleth so I am assuming he just bought a bunch of women's clothes and told her to pick what she liked, because he had no idea what to do. Byleth being Byleth, rolled around in the pile and kept wearing whatever she came put with.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

There's a secret triangle attack if you have three pegs in a zone

This game

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's cool as hell. I wish the class wasn't basically "weaker cavalry, except you're also vulnerable to more common enemies and your combo chains are way more awkward".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Eimi posted:

Jeralt can barely raise Byleth so I am assuming he just bought a bunch of women's clothes and told her to pick what she liked, because he had no idea what to do. Byleth being Byleth, rolled around in the pile and kept wearing whatever she came put with.

Except leggings/stockings with that kind of patterning would have to be custom-made. They're too complex and ornate to be some rush job or throw-out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

looted off some dead nobles, simple explanation

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It makes a lot more sense in Hopes where even pre-Sothis awakening Byleth clearly has a personality and autonomy, they just don't emote much.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah thank god, byleths stockings discourse. I must have time travelled to 2018 i can warn the world about covid

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lucina time travelled into Fódlan and gave Byleth the stockings

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Think of what sort of women a traveling mercenary company would interact with and suddenly Byleth wearing sexy leggings makes sense.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ImpAtom posted:

the fight scenes between byleth and shez are so charged with lesbian energy i cant imagine either of them as anything but women

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

That's cool as hell. I wish the class wasn't basically "weaker cavalry, except you're also vulnerable to more common enemies and your combo chains are way more awkward".

there will be a game where peg knights aren't trash

one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Blaziken386 posted:

the fight scenes between byleth and shez are so charged with lesbian energy i cant imagine either of them as anything but women

the sexual tension doesnt go away if you change either or both of their genders tbh