Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

hobocrunch posted:

I'm not talking about real realism, I'm talking realism within the IPs terms- Also known as feeling immersed. which is pretty important honestly. A "real world" is just another way of saying "I want to feel like I live in the world, exist in it."

In the biz, we call that verisimilitude. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

In the biz, we call that verisimilitude. :eng101:

Actually like that word, thanks.

What do we think of the updated Race/Class Matrix: (Also I realise no one really cares right now just making something to talk about)

+Halfling Direlord
- Halfling Warrior
+Elf Cleric
+Elf Paladin
+Dark Myr Shaman
+Dark Myr Paladin
- Dark Myr Druid
+Skar Ranger
+Archai Summoner

Might be missing one.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If they actually are pulling back on mimicking EQ, would that mean your race won't affect your class at all?

I always felt that was a huge design mistake. You should never be exiled from the end-game because of an opaque, innocent decision made at the very start of the game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

EQ had race restrictions for class. EQ had some of the most profound gameplay impacting racial characteristics of any MMO, really, when you consider the good/evil system and racial cities. An Ogre Shaman would have a very different experience - and less access to certain important places absent disguise spells or a crazy grind - than a Barbarian.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I take issue with the Human Shaman.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
NINE races?! What are these people loving smoking? That's more than wow launched with, are they doing everquest style equipment where it's usually just a texture or are they actually rigging 9 versions of a lot of equipment?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

NINE races?! What are these people loving smoking? That's more than wow launched with, are they doing everquest style equipment where it's usually just a texture or are they actually rigging 9 versions of a lot of equipment?

The bigger issue is the races look samey.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Taking a month to create a single piece of equipment will result in some pretty samey characters.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Pantheon went way too far down the road of graphical fidelity and it still looks pretty mediocre.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ogres don't look nearly as dumb enough.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cmdrk posted:

I take issue with the Human Shaman.

I take issue with non-human Monks.

Node posted:

Ogres don't look nearly as dumb enough.

They'll make up for it with the ogre idle animation as it takes an uncomfortably long time picking its own butthole.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Frog Act posted:

EQ had race restrictions for class. EQ had some of the most profound gameplay impacting racial characteristics of any MMO, really, when you consider the good/evil system and racial cities. An Ogre Shaman would have a very different experience - and less access to certain important places absent disguise spells or a crazy grind - than a Barbarian.

Even if you picked the right race, you could still get got it you picked an odd religion. Or you run into situations like how certain gnome class religion combos were more or less tolerated basically in all cities.

Off the top of my head, I think Veeshan worshiping bards got a big leg up with skyshrine faction in Velious.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Most of that race/religion in EQ didn't matter in Kunark and none of it mattered in Velious. The only race/class combos of any consequence that actually impacted gameplay long term were iksar necros/shaman had the best innate hp regen which made them ideal and ogre warriors/shamans/SKs were ideal because they could not be stunned by melee attacks from the front. Everything else was relatively inconsequential once you played long enough. I know people who purposefully made gnomes when they came back to the game because they didn't want to worry about using shrink clickies on raids.

Off the top of my head, the only religion faction things that were remotely consequential were troll shamans who followed innoruuk could get the clicky snare necklace, Tunare clerics got the clicky haste necklace, Tunare paladins got the dope 2hs from PoGrowth (which became obsolete shortly into Ssra), non-Cazic players had a significant penalty that was almost too much to overcome if they wanted to walk around in Cabilis (which also impacted the chance to do iksar progression quests like Shaman cudgel and Monk shackles, which were obsolete in late Velious/Luclin), and Veeshan followers got a little faction bump that lowered the grind with CoV dragons. The deity based armor people could make was really good for certain combos to play catch up but it was a money pit.

imo, the fixed race/class thing doesn't make sense unless you're purposefully making a game where there are defined and/or subtextual racial tensions that exist in the world, which kinda sucks and is played out. People say it adds immersion to the world or consequences to decisions, but it really just limits players from being creative with their character choices and ability to role play. I get where people don't like "every race can be every class," because the games currently on the market did it by throwing it on as an afterthought even though their world initially had those racial tensions. But that's a fault of the designers not following the rules of the world they created and not a fault of the idea that maybe players shouldn't be limited in the character they want to play.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I killed so many orcs as a Troll SK just to get dubious with North Freeport so I could have easy bank access when dealing in the East Commonlands tunnel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I liked how only certain races could be certain classes.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

imo, the fixed race/class thing doesn't make sense unless you're purposefully making a game where there are defined and/or subtextual racial tensions that exist in the world, which kinda sucks and is played out. People say it adds immersion to the world or consequences to decisions, but it really just limits players from being creative with their character choices and ability to role play. I get where people don't like "every race can be every class," because the games currently on the market did it by throwing it on as an afterthought even though their world initially had those racial tensions. But that's a fault of the designers not following the rules of the world they created and not a fault of the idea that maybe players shouldn't be limited in the character they want to play.

This could be a terrible idea, but here goes: If you want a more cosmopolitan-style fantasy world while still having factional conflict, and want to drop the uncomfortable racism stuff, then make players choose race, deity, class, and culture. Culture determines your starting city and initial faction alignment. Play a Wood Elf with an evil culture, start in Neriak, and be KOS in Kelethin.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 1, 2022

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Seems interesting. Doesn't feel too different from D&D where you choose alignment on character creation.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I liked how only certain races could be certain classes.

Any reason in particular or just like how it feels? I did like the feel of how EQ did it until they added stuff like halfling paladins. Always felt like a weird combo to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vinestalk posted:

Any reason in particular or just like how it feels? I did like the feel of how EQ did it until they added stuff like halfling paladins. Always felt like a weird combo to me.

The feel - it helped flavor the world as the class/race picks made sense internally and there's a flatness when everyone can be everything.

I think they made gnomes able to be shadow knights too later on which was weird.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I agreed with the gnome SK and halfling paladin. SK was a hybrid of warrior and necromancer, both playable by gnome. Same deal with paladin: warrior and cleric both playable by halfling. Plus I love small races and this discussion is making me want to go play on EQ test server with a lil gnome SK

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mostly just hate the shorties.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mostly just hate the shorties.

team short best team :colbert:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Memories of my Human Necromancer of Bertoxxulous (or was it Innoruuk?) being KoS to one single random NPC in my home city but "dubious" or "apprehensive" to everyone else except for my fellow evil-god-worshipping-NPCs

EDIT: I also remember I bought the Ruins of Kunark strategy guide and it said that no one was KoS to Halflings. Took a Troll to Rivervale once and discovered this is a complete lie.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FrostyPox posted:

Memories of my Human Necromancer of Bertoxxulous (or was it Innoruuk?) being KoS to one single random NPC in my home city but "dubious" or "apprehensive" to everyone else except for my fellow evil-god-worshipping-NPCs

EDIT: I also remember I bought the Ruins of Kunark strategy guide and it said that no one was KoS to Halflings. Took a Troll to Rivervale once and discovered this is a complete lie.

It was Innoruuk most likely. Got one shot by a dwarf the other day running around on my lowbie Necro.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
every race/class combo you dont allow (assuming all races start in distinct towns) is another bunch of race/class quest content you dont have to write, program and polish.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

team short best team :colbert:

I kid I kid I always thought halflings and gnomes being warriors was weird too because only dwarves struck me as a martial race among the little ones. Gnomes feel/felt like magic users and rogues and halflings felt like healers/nature magic/rogues to me.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dire lord had better be this games shadowknight because if it ever comes out i'm just rebuilding my old everquest main and i don't see sk on the chart

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

blatman posted:

dire lord had better be this games shadowknight because if it ever comes out i'm just rebuilding my old everquest main and i don't see sk on the chart

Unless they've changed it, a dire lord is basically a shadowknight, but they only wear up to chain armor. No plate for them.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Node posted:

Unless they've changed it, a dire lord is basically a shadowknight, but they only wear up to chain armor. No plate for them.

thats perfect because then i can re-live my experience of when my sk had poo poo gear

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blatman posted:

thats perfect because then i can re-live my experience of when my sk had poo poo gear

You cannot. The game is never coming out.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The game is never coming out.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Groovelord Neato posted:

You cannot. The game is never coming out.

this is perfect because it also lets me re-live that time in my life where my sk had poo poo gear and i also couldn't afford a subscription

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
This thread is sad. I can't imagine wanting to relive something from 1999

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Six AM posted:

The 90s owned dude.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Six AM posted:

Me neither, everything's so much better nowadays. In every way.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Six AM posted:

it would own actually because now we all have high speed internet instead of dial up so u dont get disconnected mid-group because someone is calling ur parents and you can stream reruns of star trek on a second monitor with little to no performance loss

you can mitigate wife aggro by either getting her hooked or by not being married / getting a divorce idk i'm gonna just sort of wing this step

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

Me neither, everything's so much better nowadays. In every way.

I think lore was better back then- and because lore was better you had an attention to detail that was better. Such as specific towns acting specific ways rather than just some quest designers whim for that day.
But apart from that yeah, I see the entire Pantheon community asking for slow combat (because they're in their 60's now) and I sit here and wonder how they're going to like playing a video game that's dead in a week because no one wants to play a game where it takes several minutes of auto attacking to kill an enemy... :cough: shroud of the avatar :cough

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Node posted:

The 90s owned dude.
They most empathically did not. I nearly died in '95.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Sounds like it was all uphill from there

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They most empathically did not. I nearly died in '95.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/two-decades-since-hakkinen-nearly-died/

Holy poo poo are you Mika Hakkinen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

30.5 Days posted:

Sounds like it was all uphill from there

Not really, I lost 100% of my hearing in both ears :v:
Nope, just a random dipshit from Texas.