Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Looking forward to seeing Greg in every Trials roulette for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

YoshiP gonna lock out the relic quests to anyone who put the twins' mom in the 2B pants.
I like how much loving stupid hand wringing there was about this before the patch. "Oh my god, will they allow us to glamour her, what if someone makes her wear something innapropriate :ohdear:"

Meanwhile, in reality, she literally asks you to give her a slutty transmog so she can make Fourchenault squirm.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

moms are tough

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bold of the fandom to assume that the woman who force feeds carrots to her husband and plays around Rowena like a fiddle wouldn't be totally down to wear sexy glamours.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Are there any pics of guy fieri and hillary next to each other?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Consummate Professional posted:

Are there any pics of guy fieri and hillary next to each other?

i don't know about that but

https://twitter.com/bobacupcake/status/1337917477947314177

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Selane posted:

I like how much loving stupid hand wringing there was about this before the patch. "Oh my god, will they allow us to glamour her, what if someone makes her wear something innapropriate :ohdear:"

Meanwhile, in reality, she literally asks you to give her a slutty transmog so she can make Fourchenault squirm.

lol I need to complete her custom deliveries that rules.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

don't dress ameliance

let amelaince dress you

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was about to say that I'd pay a minigame about being glammed by NPCs, but I guess that's just Fashion Report

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
You can't even see what other players are dressing Ameliance up as. It's the biggest non-issue. At least the people getting mad about limsa catgirls might have to actually look at it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I have not seen a single person actually say anything bad about dressing Ameliance. I have seen about a billion jokes about it though. I assume these squares are on reddit or the forums or something? I stuck her in the most recent valentiones outfit because her tales of forchenault are extremely cute.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I finally walked the drat End, I don’t have to worry about dodging spoilers anymore.

Zenos insisting on yet one more fight was a little annoying tho. It wasn’t even very hard for the most part but dude just cannot take a hint. I’m not even sure what the overall idea in bringing him back was, he feels bolted on to the story.

I did like the dragon however.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I finally walked the drat End, I don’t have to worry about dodging spoilers anymore.

Zenos insisting on yet one more fight was a little annoying tho. It wasn’t even very hard for the most part but dude just cannot take a hint. I’m not even sure what the overall idea in bringing him back was, he feels bolted on to the story.

That character arc wound up being one of the wildest dark horse moments in the story for me. And I'm glad you liked that bit though, he gets possibly the best line in the entire msq and it's buckwild in the moment.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It does kinda feel like a pro wrestling angle- “I just need to keep fighting you in specific, I’ll even help you get rid of this other idiot so we can do this.”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The most romantic thing ever said comes from Zenos

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Macaluso posted:

The most romantic thing ever said comes from Zenos

"a test of your reflexes!" :swoon:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It does kinda feel like a pro wrestling angle- “I just need to keep fighting you in specific, I’ll even help you get rid of this other idiot so we can do this.”
I think some of the idea here is Zenos embraces, for want of a better term, positive nihilism - he has realized, truly and profoundly, what he wants, and he responds to Alisaie's challenge with self-reflection and a determined and deliberate choice. Now he himself wants to have another climax super-stylish battle with you, the Warrior of Light, and not anything else. So he immediately takes the route that facilitates him achieving that goal in the most straightforward and reasonable way. Which turns out to be profoundly helpful instead of interfering, if with a cost AFTER you've saved the cosmos. Literally nothing else matters to him. But he's doing the same kind of thing you're doing - in the face of despair, you and the other Scions are basically like, 'nah, I still find meaning.'

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Maxwell Lord posted:

it is specifically calling out the player, with a litany of blood and violence behind you as you have saved the world, one of the few times a meta commentary moment really hits in a game:

you fought your way to this point and endwalker ends with a fight against the last standing deuteragonist - the development team - challenging you to one last brawl in their arc before the new story begins with a clear power level cap. it is brilliant.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

now i'm imagining the final battle being crushingly difficult but after a number of defeats you're given the option to call upon the help of your fellow warriors of light. with their help you finally prevail but now you have a choice to make...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Some interesting interpretations to be sure.

Proud of myself for only dying once in the last trial and it was only because I fell off the disc.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

how the gently caress am i just learning that there's a "materia extraction" menu from a year old youtube video what the gently caress

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

it is specifically calling out the player, with a litany of blood and violence behind you as you have saved the world, one of the few times a meta commentary moment really hits in a game:

you fought your way to this point and endwalker ends with a fight against the last standing deuteragonist - the development team - challenging you to one last brawl in their arc before the new story begins with a clear power level cap. it is brilliant.

It didn't hit for me at all cause he's just a tiresome sociopath projecting his hosed up motivations on me/my character because he can't conceive of how else anyone could be strong enough to kick his plot armored rear end. He's been an albatross around the story's neck since stormblood, and if they really are bringing him back in some form yet again I honestly might lose interest in the story.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Telarra posted:

It didn't hit for me at all cause he's just a tiresome sociopath projecting his hosed up motivations on me/my character because he can't conceive of how else anyone could be strong enough to kick his plot armored rear end. He's been an albatross around the story's neck since stormblood, and if they really are bringing him back in some form yet again I honestly might lose interest in the story.

Mood.

And don’t hit me with the well don’t you play the game for the fights????? Because yeah duh but me enjoying my rhythm game with a side of bullet hell is different from my character’s motivation and how I feel about the plot and characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

But thou must!

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Telarra posted:

learn to read dumbass lol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nessus posted:

I think some of the idea here is Zenos embraces, for want of a better term, positive nihilism - he has realized, truly and profoundly, what he wants, and he responds to Alisaie's challenge with self-reflection and a determined and deliberate choice. Now he himself wants to have another climax super-stylish battle with you, the Warrior of Light, and not anything else. So he immediately takes the route that facilitates him achieving that goal in the most straightforward and reasonable way. Which turns out to be profoundly helpful instead of interfering, if with a cost AFTER you've saved the cosmos. Literally nothing else matters to him. But he's doing the same kind of thing you're doing - in the face of despair, you and the other Scions are basically like, 'nah, I still find meaning.'

It also feels like (spoilers all the way through 6.0, natch) a further refutation of everything Solus/Emet-Selch and the Ascians in general were working for, and the idea of sundered humans as mindless pawns to be manipulated in pursuit of Rejoinings. Zenos is a monster, created via literal generations of Ascian manipulation to be a killing machine/tool of conquest/chaos engine, and he never really becomes any better than that as a person -- but he becomes a person in the sense of pursuing his own autonomy and desires, starting with active cooperation with Fandaniel (instead of being toyed with by Emet and Elidibus) and then purely on his own. He's still a monster, but he's an uncaged monster in a way Emet-Selch clearly didn't believe he or any sundered human could be. I was never a Zenos fan, but I appreciated that arc, and the similar little moment Asahi gets in the 89 MSQ where even he, maybe the most pathetic worm-man of a recurring antagonist the game gives us, gets to say "gently caress you" to his Ascian puppeteer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I get that not everyone views their personal WoL in the same way, but for me the Zenos stuff worked perfectly. It's not just oh, you're playing a game about fighting, so this is all fun to you!!! it's more the culmination of every little moment where our character is obviously a god-tier badass superhero compared to a bunch of normies, and we're always being super nice because we want the best for everyone but also we're constantly being inconvenienced and slightly annoyed by silly fetch quests etc. until our character is like "damnit I just wanna punch some stuff!" It's an acknowledgement of how, on a significant level, the WoL can never truly relate to the normal characters in the story, so it's nice, albeit hosed up, for Zenos to be able to reach us. I think there's a similar underlying feeling in the part where Alisaie gets all embarrassed and frustrated by the WoL trying to encourage her about fighting; for all the shipping and "she's in love with the main character" stuff, that idea fundamentally doesn't work because our character is basically a god.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zenos chat The post-fight cutscene where you're having a heart to heart as you both bleed out and it dawns on him that he wasted his life right as he dies is fantastic too. That he's a weirdo sociopath who could only find meaning through the tiniest fraction of his experiences is entirely the point of the character!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One thing I really like about that stuff is the fact that instead of calling you a ravenous beast like himself as he did in Stormblood, he calls you what you really are: Adventurer.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah when (6.0 spoilers) Zenos appears in Garlemald II: Solo Duty, he pretty explicitly shows up and says hello, I now understand 90% of the themes of this expansion: "Yet you would ask me why. Ask any creature of this star and those above* for answers, and they will tell you what suits their fancy. And they would be right to do so. What meaning there is to be found in the petty vicissitudes of your existence must be gleaned by you and you alone." It takes him until you've already flown across the universe to realize the fuller truth (that by working together to help each other pursue and achieve meaning we can collectively build something greater and more resilient than we can alone), but he does get there.

And if you're willing to play along, the game's framing of it—the idea that the WoL takes a bit of a cue from Zenos and pursues their own joy (end of the universe dynamis throwdown) in a way that is both extremely reckless and more than a little selfish now that their job is done, only to be granted the ability to have their cake and eat it too by the fact that everyone around them at the time is wishing for their happiness—is pretty fun, and reaffirms the themes of the expansion while also inaugurating the era of newfound adventure by letting the WoL do something purely because they want to, rather than for duty or morality or honor or because a friend is going to get themselves killed. It doesn't work if you've constructed a headcanon in which your WoL thinks and feels much differently than the game indicates, but unlike with most other such things they give you a pretty explicit out to say "actually, i do not agree and you suck," which is the imo only real way to handle that kind of incongruity that still lets you try to do character writing for the WoL without generating a ton of additional work in alternate routes, and it's one they have only very rarely given us the option for. you can't really repudiate Venat or Emet directly and be like "that actually sucks, I'm going to kill you", even though the writers premise a fair amount of thematic and narrative material on the idea that you feel a particular way about those characters.

*hey why does everyone in this expansion go "anyways aliens are real but honestly that's not a huge deal, the important thing is what they think about existentialism." just a very funny choice. obviously there were already aliens in the game but both zenos and hermes are pretty nonchalant about like "oh well if you asked an ALIEN about the meaning of life--".

Valentin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 3, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Oneiros posted:

how the gently caress am i just learning that there's a "materia extraction" menu from a year old youtube video what the gently caress

do you know about the desynth menu too? it doesn't lock out gear sets like the GC turn in so can be a little dangerous to mash your way through

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

learn to read dumbass lol

Sorry I don't like the thing you like I guess?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
apology accepted

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

(EW) Meteion's arc asks, "Should you live, even in the face of pointlessness?" (yes), and Zenos' arc follows that up with the equally-necessary question of, "How should you live?" He's your antithesis - someone who lives for themselves versus someone who lives for others - and the battle at the literal edge of the universe is a transmutation of that abstract philosophical conflict into a physical one due to this being a video game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is 100% a pro wrestling angle and it rules.

It's the Royal Rumble and the new monster heel is on a rampage. Everybody has been ejected from the ring except the top face, who is now on the ropes. Just then JR blurts out "Bah gawd that's Zenos' music!" and our hero's rival runs to the ring, exchanges a look with the hero, and the two team up to toss out the monster heel. They immediately proceed to have their big showdown right then and there to finish out the PPV.

The only other time I gave an actual pro wrestling pop for boss music in this game was at the end of the Twinning.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zenos’s rematch brings us full circle to how we began our story as an adventurer setting out into the world for the thrill of it, but then over time found something much more meaningful through the people we met along the way. Zenos only ever thought about himself but in his dying moments he ends up finally caring about someone else. He genuinely wants to know if the WoL found the joy and fulfillment in their life that always eluded him, and its implied that the teleportation device came back because of Zenos’s dying wish: a genuine desire for his rival to live on and be happy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

Zenos’s rematch brings us full circle to how we began our story as an adventurer setting out into the world for the thrill of it, but then over time found something much more meaningful through the people we met along the way. Zenos only ever thought about himself but in his dying moments he ends up finally caring about someone else. He genuinely wants to know if the WoL found the joy and fulfillment in their life that always eluded him, and its implied that the teleportation device came back because of Zenos’s dying wish: a genuine desire for his rival to live on and be happy

It's good. Ishikawa does it again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Telarra posted:

Sorry I don't like the thing you like I guess?

I believe it's more this bit " if they really are bringing him back in some form yet again " which is...not what the story is doing at all there's literally nothing to think this is happening.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I believe it's more this bit " if they really are bringing him back in some form yet again " which is...not what the story is doing at all there's literally nothing to think this is happening.

Didn't Zenos' reaper voidsent appear with his resonant eyes, if not his whole body, in a cutscene in 6.1? It's not Zenos in there, yet again, but from what I've seen in the Reaper job quests his body might get involved somewhere along the line. I just hope the real Zenos stays down this time, I loved the ending he got and it deserves to be final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think there's too much to worry about, when Nidhogg's eyes came back into play after 3.3 it wasn't to bring him back yet again, it was to set up the next thing. That seems like what they're doing now?