Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I'd been a tactile devotee for my entire mechanical keyboard life, but recently something made me want to try a medium-weight linear. Behold, my 62g-Bobagummed Mode SixtyFive:

My mouth waters a bit looking at this. I feel like I can taste that powdery sweetness of inexpensive bubblegum in my mind's mouth.

Previously, I had 62g Zilent v1s in it, but somehow after a while it started feeling heavy to type on for extended periods of time. With these Bobagums, it feels a bit lighter but still with a bit of weight, though I think I am typing a little faster on these. The board is significantly quieter, too. I can definitely notice a lot less keycap wobble. The housing tolerances must be pretty tight, and this seems to somehow translate into a shorter-feeling keystroke. Maybe that's also helping me type faster?

Anyway, this SixtyFive is definitely the best keyboard purchase I've ever made, and it continues to bring me new joy :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

init
Jun 20, 2021

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Behold, my 62g-Bobagummed Mode SixtyFive:

I just love how that looks. So much pink!

Speaking of pink switches, I recently bought Kailh Box Silent Pink switches (linear) and tried them on two different hotswap keyboards. Quite underrated switches IMO.

They feel really nice and smooth, but they are also definitely quiet enough for my cubicle in the office. My Planck with plate foam and silent pinks is quieter than most of the membrane keyboards around me in the office, which is ironic.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I want to replace the knob on my Keychron Q5 with a knurled brass one, has anyone tried replacing theirs? (I assume it's the same across the other Q models) GMMK sells them but I'm not sure that it will fit, and I'm seeing conflicting posts on Reddit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’ve set up my Sinc but since I have only kind of garbage keycap sets for normal applications I’m currently using a 2.25 and a 2.75u shift key for the space bars. Any recommendations on somewhere to find small size space bars in cherry profile? Color scheme is grey/black/red. Is aliexpress my best bet? I’d prefer something a little quicker even if there’s a small premium.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

People with more than one keyboard: do you swap your keyboards out depending on what you're doing?

Ie: time to game, let me swap my keyboard out, okay time for typing an essay, going to use my essay keyboard, etc.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I basically just swap to another for fun when it's time to strip the caps off and throw them in the dishwasher.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

VelociBacon posted:

People with more than one keyboard: do you swap your keyboards out depending on what you're doing?

Ie: time to game, let me swap my keyboard out, okay time for typing an essay, going to use my essay keyboard, etc.

Not really. I have a cheap wireless scissor switch keyboard I use in the rare cases I feel like playing a WASD heavy game (Stardew or Valheim usually), it's the Model M for everything else.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, I use the Sofle at home if I'm not doing work, the Sinc if I'm needed to work.

Mainly I'm more comfortable with the Sofle, but I write/code about 50/50 at work so the Sinc is better for that

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Yep. Larger boards i.e. 1800s and TKLs for productivity/work, 75%, 65% for gaming where I want more mouse space.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

apologies, all i have is bad phone camera photos in bad lighting, but my switches and piles of random keycaps came in and i finally finished the job and soldered the millmax sockets in place and i have a finished murphpad! playing with qmk configurations now, will be taking it to work to begin to train my left hand on tomorrow. also i didn't think i'd like the rgb but there is an awesome amount of customizability and i actually like a dim subtle glow that matches my keycap colours. will play with different keycap layouts too, just tried a couple sets to get it working for now

now it's time to think about a 60-75% board build :twisted:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

VelociBacon posted:

Not really. I mean I usually have 2-3 in the office anyways and sometimes I'll just get tired of 12u and swap for a minivan or something I can type faster on or has a more comfortable layout I guess...
But like usually the boards that go with me to meetings are all very compact in size (not just layout) and pretty lightweight for obvious reasons.

Beyond that, I just switch out for funsies.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/S0lll0s/status/1543664256494850050

:mildpanic: I keep telling myself to not spend all my money and then there's this??

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks it it would be uncomfortable to type on and because illuminated wall art exists that isn't confined by having to be a sort of functional keyboard, I wonder how much I'd want to use that.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
My GMK Amethysts finally arrived!

seventeen months later sweet christ

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Edwardly posted:

https://twitter.com/S0lll0s/status/1543664256494850050

:mildpanic: I keep telling myself to not spend all my money and then there's this??

God I love hexagons, I can't imagine typing on this but the idea of having it as like, a display piece, is very cute

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

death cob for cutie posted:

God I love hexagons, I can't imagine typing on this but the idea of having it as like, a display piece, is very cute

If it helps, I'm pretty sure it's a MIDI and not like a typing keyboard. Still very A E S T H E T I C, though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's just qbert isn't it? Does nobody else see that and think it's like TRON and Qbert had a baby?

I still think it's cool as a light sculpture but if it didn't have the restriction of having to be a keyboard it probably could look way more interesting.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Hi thread! When I was sent to work from home in early 2020 I started to use my own keyboard (TKL) for work and the lack of a numpad quickly became really annoying. I shopped around and discovered that 96% keyboards exist. I eventually chose the Keychron K4 (v2) and modded it a bit (foam mod, holee stab mod, lubed glorious pandas and a set of Akko PBT keycaps). Problem is, I'm only 90% satisfied with the keyboard. I LOVE the 90% that I love, but I absolutely HATE the 10% that I hate.

- First and worst, the loving cable plugs into the left side of the board. While it's not too bad with the cable it comes with because it comes with a 90 degree elbow, it makes any 3rd party cable plug in really awkardly.
- The bluetooth connection to my computer is complete garbage. This is very probably my computer's fault because it works fairly well with my work laptop, but my old keyboard used to have a 2.4ghz dongle for my PC and use BT for work and I wish that was still an option with this keyboard.
- The battery is weird. I don't know if I messed something up when I modded the keyboard, but it seems to me that the battery drains really fast (although this is my first time using a backlit BT keyboard from 9 to 5), but regardless of the actual quality of the battery, the battery level indicator is crap. Windows can't tell me the battery level; the only way to know is to press function+b to make the backlight go green/blue/red, but it seems like green means anywhere between 100% and 25%, blue means 24% to 1% and red is a myth.
- If the battery runs out, even if I plug it in immediately it won't work wirelessly. I have to turn it off, wait 5-10 minutes and turn it back on again. Not a huge issue by itself, but coupled with the fact that it's very inconvenient to know the actual battery level, it becomes very annoying.
- It's non-programmable and one of the, like, 4 keys missing is Print Screen, which is very useful for work.

It's a very weird feeling because I love so much about it that I can't go back to "regular" keyboards (i.e. anything but 96 compact), but I'm so annoyed by it that I'm seriously considering a switch, which would be a very stupid idea.

Right now, I'm looking at the iQunix F97. Same form factor but the cable is placed somewhere a human would put it and it has a 2.4ghz dongle. The battery is worse on paper but if people aren't complaining about it it's probably at least as good in actual use. [EDIT: Same capacity battery]

I haven't pulled the plug yet because I know that it's stupid to buy a 300$ keyboard only to fix minor annoyances, especially considering I don't need switches or caps. On the other hand after the switch I could sell a custom Keychron K4 with TTC switches and doubleshot PBT caps...

Do you guys know of a 96% kit that would fit my insane criteria? I'm this close to just ordering the drat keyboard.

EDIT: OH NO IT'S IN MY CART I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 8, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm trying to put together a guide for a friend on how to build a mechanical keyboard for gaming that's under $100, what are some good, cheap barebones boards to look into? I'm going to suggest the $24 70-pack of Gateron milky yellow switches but that's all that I'm set on so far. Unfortunately the GAMAKAY LK67 board with a knob that I like seems to have gone up in price to $69.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

Hi thread! When I was sent to work from home in early 2020 I started to use my own keyboard (TKL) for work and the lack of a numpad quickly became really annoying. I shopped around and discovered that 96% keyboards exist. I eventually chose the Keychron K4 (v2) and modded it a bit (foam mod, holee stab mod, lubed glorious pandas and a set of Akko PBT keycaps). Problem is, I'm only 90% satisfied with the keyboard. I LOVE the 90% that I love, but I absolutely HATE the 10% that I hate.

- First and worst, the loving cable plugs into the left side of the board. While it's not too bad with the cable it comes with because it comes with a 90 degree elbow, it makes any 3rd party cable plug in really awkardly.
- The bluetooth connection to my computer is complete garbage. This is very probably my computer's fault because it works fairly well with my work laptop, but my old keyboard used to have a 2.4ghz dongle for my PC and use BT for work and I wish that was still an option with this keyboard.
- The battery is weird. I don't know if I messed something up when I modded the keyboard, but it seems to me that the battery drains really fast (although this is my first time using a backlit BT keyboard from 9 to 5), but regardless of the actual quality of the battery, the battery level indicator is crap. Windows can't tell me the battery level; the only way to know is to press function+b to make the backlight go green/blue/red, but it seems like green means anywhere between 100% and 25%, blue means 24% to 1% and red is a myth.
- If the battery runs out, even if I plug it in immediately it won't work wirelessly. I have to turn it off, wait 5-10 minutes and turn it back on again. Not a huge issue by itself, but coupled with the fact that it's very inconvenient to know the actual battery level, it becomes very annoying.
- It's non-programmable and one of the, like, 4 keys missing is Print Screen, which is very useful for work.

It's a very weird feeling because I love so much about it that I can't go back to "regular" keyboards (i.e. anything but 96 compact), but I'm so annoyed by it that I'm seriously considering a switch, which would be a very stupid idea.

Right now, I'm looking at the iQunix F97. Same form factor but the cable is placed somewhere a human would put it and it has a 2.4ghz dongle. The battery is worse on paper but if people aren't complaining about it it's probably at least as good in actual use. [EDIT: Same capacity battery]

I haven't pulled the plug yet because I know that it's stupid to buy a 300$ keyboard only to fix minor annoyances, especially considering I don't need switches or caps. On the other hand after the switch I could sell a custom Keychron K4 with TTC switches and doubleshot PBT caps...

Do you guys know of a 96% kit that would fit my insane criteria? I'm this close to just ordering the drat keyboard.

EDIT: OH NO IT'S IN MY CART I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epomaker/epomaker-th96-qmk-via-gasket-mounted-mechanical-keyboard

I'm not sure how the wireless is going to work but I think this covers all your requirements.

change my name posted:

I'm trying to put together a guide for a friend on how to build a mechanical keyboard for gaming that's under $100, what are some good, cheap barebones boards to look into? I'm going to suggest the $24 70-pack of Gateron milky yellow switches but that's all that I'm set on so far. Unfortunately the GAMAKAY LK67 board with a knob that I like seems to have gone up in price to $69.

https://epomaker.com/collections/65-keyboards/products/epomaker-th66?variant=40062804099145

I think this covers what you want. I don't know anything about the included switches though.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epomaker/epomaker-th96-qmk-via-gasket-mounted-mechanical-keyboard

I'm not sure how the wireless is going to work but I think this covers all your requirements.

Thanks! I'm really in love with the compact form factor of the K4/F97, but a knob + south facing LEDs + gasket-mounting + a 6000 mAh battery... I'll definitely think about it. At the very least it's cooled me down from impulse-buying the F97.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A few years back, I bought a cheap-as-poo poo Aukey mechanical keyboard to use for hobby writing stuff and it has lasted a surprising amount of time but now feels a bit crappy to use. I'd like to get my first good mechanical keyboard and some cool keycaps, but it's kind of overwhelming to get into this. What's a good place to start? I don't have any real opinions on what I want at this point, other than a lot of the random cool-looking keycaps I've come across have specifically said they're for Cherry MX switches. This would primarily be for longer stretches of novel writing, I likely wouldn't ever need a keyboard with a ten key.

edit: budget-wise I don't even know what the baseline is for a "good" mechanical keyboard, I could do around $100 or a little more but probably not double that, for example.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 12, 2022

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MockingQuantum posted:

A few years back, I bought a cheap-as-poo poo Aukey mechanical keyboard to use for hobby writing stuff and it has lasted a surprising amount of time but now feels a bit crappy to use. I'd like to get my first good mechanical keyboard and some cool keycaps, but it's kind of overwhelming to get into this. What's a good place to start? I don't have any real opinions on what I want at this point, other than a lot of the random cool-looking keycaps I've come across have specifically said they're for Cherry MX switches. This would primarily be for longer stretches of novel writing, I likely wouldn't ever need a keyboard with a ten key.

edit: budget-wise I don't even know what the baseline is for a "good" mechanical keyboard, I could do around $100 or a little more but probably not double that, for example.
It's kinda tough to recommend something to someone who has no preference in a hobby that is entirely about preference. I could make a lot of suggestions but really I have no idea what your priorities are or what things you'll like.
If you just want a nice keyboard then that's pretty easy. Just go buy something like a keychron k-whatever or Durgod or some Amazon prime-day deal

I would say if you have a real strong urge to just buy something immediately to whet your appetite, but you also know that you're going to wind up going deep down the rabbit hole of custom keyboards then there's plenty of things you can pick up from keyboard vendors like Cannonkeys or Novelkeys that are in-stock.

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/keyboard-kits
https://novelkeys.com/collections/keyboards

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's kinda tough to recommend something to someone who has no preference in a hobby that is entirely about preference. I could make a lot of suggestions but really I have no idea what your priorities are or what things you'll like.
If you just want a nice keyboard then that's pretty easy. Just go buy something like a keychron k-whatever or Durgod or some Amazon prime-day deal

I would say if you have a real strong urge to just buy something immediately to whet your appetite, but you also know that you're going to wind up going deep down the rabbit hole of custom keyboards then there's plenty of things you can pick up from keyboard vendors like Cannonkeys or Novelkeys that are in-stock.

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/keyboard-kits
https://novelkeys.com/collections/keyboards

Honestly this is mostly what I needed, there's so many options out there that without some guidance it's hard to know what's just fine and what is utter, overpriced crap. At this point I mostly want to just find something decent to try, basically just a good "starter" keyboard that would be relatively easy to swap out the keycaps so if I find I do like typing with one, I can customize it down the line. The appeal for me is largely having something that feels better to type on than my laptop keyboard or the crappy Aukey that's slowly dying, but it's also the idea of being able to customize the look of the keyboard, so I guess that makes me likely to be rabbit hole material? I don't just want to buy something bland and boring but nice and call it a day.

I'll dig around on Cannonkeys and Novelkeys and see if I can wrap my head around what's out there, and maybe come back with specific questions.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MockingQuantum posted:

Honestly this is mostly what I needed, there's so many options out there that without some guidance it's hard to know what's just fine and what is utter, overpriced crap. At this point I mostly want to just find something decent to try, basically just a good "starter" keyboard that would be relatively easy to swap out the keycaps so if I find I do like typing with one, I can customize it down the line. The appeal for me is largely having something that feels better to type on than my laptop keyboard or the crappy Aukey that's slowly dying, but it's also the idea of being able to customize the look of the keyboard, so I guess that makes me likely to be rabbit hole material? I don't just want to buy something bland and boring but nice and call it a day.

I'll dig around on Cannonkeys and Novelkeys and see if I can wrap my head around what's out there, and maybe come back with specific questions.

Yeah I mean "utter crap" is also pretty subjective. IMO there's not a thing that is in stock that I am really interested in.

But... there have to be some cheap vintage boards out there that will at least give you a chance to try MX switches and swap out the keycaps if that's really the only thing you're after. Check DeskAuthority and eBay to see if you can find some inexpensive used board that has MX switches to at least have a point of reference?
Or if aesthetics is really your goal then just go shopping for what looks cool to you and post that poo poo in here before you actually buy anything.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Everyone gave you good links, and as much as I've talked poo poo the Keychrons are good in your price range. I write novels for a living, and personally for me it's the switches that matter most. I don't recommend Cherry MX. If you like linear, go Gateron Yellow to start. If you like tactile, go Boba u4t's. If you like click.... is box jades the recommend here?

My personal builds are a GMMK PRO with XDA keycaps and Boba's, and a Keychron Q2 with XDA keycaps and penguin key switches. At some point I'll switch out the penguin's (which are still very solid) for more Boba's, but when I built it they were out of stock everywhere. And again, both are tax write off's for me, and other than upgrading the board on my main office desk down the road (maybe a Mode Sonnet, maybe a 80 something) I think i've entered endgame more or less.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 12, 2022

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Just FYI, if your idea of customization is just keycaps, you can do that with pretty much any mechanical keyboard. The real customization rabbit hole starts with switches (see above) and stabilizers and goes much deeper from there. If you only care about changing keycaps, I'd think you'd be satisfied with simply a nice TKL from Varmilo or Leopold or something. A Keychron would be/feel a bit cheaper by default but would provide an entrance to said rabbit hole via hot-swap switches.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

apologies, all i have is bad phone camera photos in bad lighting, but my switches and piles of random keycaps came in and i finally finished the job and soldered the millmax sockets in place and i have a finished murphpad! playing with qmk configurations now, will be taking it to work to begin to train my left hand on tomorrow. also i didn't think i'd like the rgb but there is an awesome amount of customizability and i actually like a dim subtle glow that matches my keycap colours. will play with different keycap layouts too, just tried a couple sets to get it working for now

now it's time to think about a 60-75% board build :twisted:

okay i want to replace my main board now too. i like this thing: https://mechwild.com/product/mercutio/ but i'm afraid of not enough keys. i can use layers i guess to give me numbers and the few bits of missing punctuation but maybe a 60% would be better for me. are there any reasonably priced kits out there for something like this? i love the aesthetic of the exposed circuitry, like my murphpad. i also had fun soldering and i'd like to do that again

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

okay i want to replace my main board now too. i like this thing: https://mechwild.com/product/mercutio/ but i'm afraid of not enough keys. i can use layers i guess to give me numbers and the few bits of missing punctuation but maybe a 60% would be better for me. are there any reasonably priced kits out there for something like this? i love the aesthetic of the exposed circuitry, like my murphpad. i also had fun soldering and i'd like to do that again
How about the Nibble 65%?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

runawayturtles posted:

Just FYI, if your idea of customization is just keycaps, you can do that with pretty much any mechanical keyboard. The real customization rabbit hole starts with switches (see above) and stabilizers and goes much deeper from there. If you only care about changing keycaps, I'd think you'd be satisfied with simply a nice TKL from Varmilo or Leopold or something. A Keychron would be/feel a bit cheaper by default but would provide an entrance to said rabbit hole via hot-swap switches.

What's the advantage to being able to swap switches, just to get a different feel/response without having a second board available? And I assume when you say "hot-swap" you mean there's no resoldering or anything involved?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the advantage to being able to swap switches, just to get a different feel/response without having a second board available? And I assume when you say "hot-swap" you mean there's no resoldering or anything involved?

Yes. It's like lego's. Just pull out and then pop right a new switch right in. switches make a huge, huge difference. (Like, solved my minor RSI so I can use a regular keyboard different).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Yes. It's like lego's. Just pull out and then pop right a new switch right in. switches make a huge, huge difference. (Like, solved my minor RSI so I can use a regular keyboard different).

Gotcha. Well then yeah, I think that's the way that will make the most sense for me to get an affordable board and experiment with switches or something, then upgrade whatever when I kind of hit a point where I want something better.

I mean, I post in the fountain pen and synthesizer threads, this kind of customization rabbit hole is, uh, not unfamiliar to me

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Gotcha. Well then yeah, I think that's the way that will make the most sense for me to get an affordable board and experiment with switches or something, then upgrade whatever when I kind of hit a point where I want something better.

I mean, I post in the fountain pen and synthesizer threads, this kind of customization rabbit hole is, uh, not unfamiliar to me

fountain pen and mechanical keyboard hobbies have major, major amounts of overlap.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LionArcher posted:

fountain pen and mechanical keyboard hobbies have major, major amounts of overlap.

:wave:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

LionArcher posted:

I don't like being called out like this

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I spent a hell of a lot less on fountain pens, and found my favourite like ten years ago (Lamy 2000).

But that said if I was feeling rich, I've had my eyes on a Sailor Realo...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You could get the small GMMK board with some decent but basic switches (I’d probably pick gateron browns out of the available options as a nice budget tactile switch) and ABS key caps for like 65 bucks. Then over time you could swap switches and caps.

It’s not the greatest board of all time but it’s a decent entry point.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Okay, I've done some looking and I have a few questions:

When I'm looking at different switches like Gaterons, Gazzews, Kailh, all the different varieties of switches on Niftykeys, etc. those are all Cherry MX clones, right? As in any keycaps that say they're for Cherry MX will fit on just about anything I come across? I know there are a couple of other types/shapes/formats of switches, but will it be pretty obvious if they take a different kind of keycap?

Is there a reasonably affordable way to try a bunch of different switches? Are switch testers worth it?

If I know I'd likely go the high-customization route, am I best off putting most of my budget into a nicer board, or is there some other element I should not skimp on?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Llamadeus posted:

How about the Nibble 65%?

this looks like exactly what i want, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

this looks like exactly what i want, thanks!

I've been eyeing that one as well. Let me know what you think of it if you pull the trigger