Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If you give Vecna a Snickers, does he turn back into 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So here's a theory.

The upside down can be shaped by minds. So when Will was there for so long, he actually left an impression on it and changed some things. Maybe not in a large degree, but it kind of explains why it's stuck in a certain time, and why all the monsters are equivalent to Dungeons and Dragons monsters with strengths and weaknesses.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Codependent Poster posted:

So here's a theory.

The upside down can be shaped by minds. So when Will was there for so long, he actually left an impression on it and changed some things. Maybe not in a large degree, but it kind of explains why it's stuck in a certain time, and why all the monsters are equivalent to Dungeons and Dragons monsters with strengths and weaknesses.

they're not though, none of the monsters are anything like their D&D equivalents. demogorgon is a wacky-rear end demon lord with baboon heads, the mindflayer is a guy with an octopus for a face, and vecna is an evil wizard (check) and a missing eye and hand (NO check :argh:)

i mean look at this goofy mfer

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Really great finale.

Just a couple thoughts:

-I really liked that for once El used her powers to give life. Ever since the beginning her powers have been destructive but this season she learned to pull from her happy memories for her powers and finally decided to use them to bring Max back to life.

-It always sucks when they take El away from the group but they do an amazing job of dramatic arrivals just in the knick of time. Her showing up in the Snow Ball to mind-grab Vecna was great. Holding him in mid-air and turning him around just like he did to her in the rainbow room.

-Great use of music.

-Poor Will doesn’t get enough to do but had two great emotional scenes.

-Dustin’s warrior outfit was adorable.

-Nancy is badass

-The Nevada pizza shop guy was credited as “Argyle 2.0”

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like how the rear end in a top hat b ball capn just unceremoniously gets ripped in half like out of nowhere in a horrible as gently caress way that nobody notices cuz poo poo is hitting the fan

will's actor is good a crying on screen, props.

Bruteman posted:

I've really enjoyed the show's OST over the last few seasons (I'm surprised by how much they still use a LOT of the cues from S1 OST through the show), but man, that last bit at the end of episode 9 where they do the main theme with the orchestra/strings building under it throughout was :discourse:

agreed, one of my main criticism of season 2, and probably 3, was that the great synth score took a hard back seat to nostalgic 80s hits

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 3, 2022

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

runaway dog posted:

will's actor is good a crying on screen, props.

Lucas' actor too. When he was holding a dying Max and screaming for Erica to get help. loving brutal, dude.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sebmojo posted:

they're not though, none of the monsters are anything like their D&D equivalents. demogorgon is a wacky-rear end demon lord with baboon heads, the mindflayer is a guy with an octopus for a face, and vecna is an evil wizard (check) and a missing eye and hand (NO check :argh:)

i mean look at this goofy mfer

Well I mean not a one to one equivalent, but influenced so they fit some of their D&D characteristics.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
So, the D&D monster for Season 5 will be a Modron, right? Gotta bring the universes back into order.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gonna be a Terrasque and Murray will kill it with Quivering Palm

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's gonna be a zombie Billy or Jason as Kas the Bloody Handed

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 3, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Very good season. I love that wormy little Will grew up into a dreamy hunk and now they have a hard time squaring Will with rest of the cast.

I refuse to believe Eddie is gone. You kill a Dungeon Master in Hell and that fucker will just comeback stronger.

Since we’re getting into the cosmology of Hawkins and the Upside Down, here’s my working theory.

Hawkins is naturally one of those places were the veil between planes over lap. Maybe this means the veil is more permeable here or that this causes a “gully” where weird poo poo collects. The Demogorgans might be able to create small portals or locate naturally occurring portals here easily and use it as a sporadic hunting grown.

By chance or destiny, Papa sets up his taxpayer funded childhood trauma factory in Hawkins and gets to work making the veil even thinner. He’s got 12 or so numinous WMDs doing a lot of astral projection and remote viewing protocols everyday, pushing them to their limits. This is making the barrier very permeable and the Upside Down ecosystem is very aware of us.

1983 comes along and 11 makes psychic contact with the very alien, very animal brain of the local Demogorgan and freaks the gently caress out. In her moment of absolute terror, she fractures the already riddled barrier, creating a permanent portal and somehow bringing a flash copy of that exact moment in the Prime Material into existence in the Upside Down.

That’s the general narrative I’ve had going since the first season. On a purely conjecture level…we’ll, I’m too tired and high to get into my Gnostic bullshit. I also often wonder how much of the DND alignment compass applies to the rules of the shows reality. In 2E the alignment chart wasn’t there just to stymie your players. Law, Chaos, Good, and Evil where as much constant forces of the universe as gravity and magnetism. The Upside Down is a plane with non law and no goodness. It is a place of intrinsic entropy and decay. The Upside Down version of Hawkins exists only to rot and decay. That Hawkins literally has no future.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
does anyone speak Russian? I know they probably wanted the actor for Jaqen Hagar because Jaqen Hagar but I speak neither Russian nor German and I swear he speaks Russian with a German accent

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chieves posted:

My pet theory is that somehow (end of season speculation) Max and Will somehow end up with 11-style powers, though perhaps not as strong. They've been hit hardest by the Upside-Down, plus I think it would be fantastic payoff for Will constantly being a wizard in D&D and for being poo poo on across 4 seasons.

At this point though, I'm confident that the final season will put a bow on this nicely. The Duffers aren't masters of the craft or anything, but they sure deliver on promises and basic storytelling. Season 2 seems more and more like an aberration at this point.

Lol they did that with her in the mobile app game. That would be a fortnite emperor moment

Spacebump posted:

If you give Vecna a Snickers, does he turn back into 1?

you wouldn't know it but his song is actually Machine Gun Kelly - Emo Girl

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
How did Henry get his powers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Noob Saibot posted:

I don't know if this is a question that needs an answer tbh.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Noob Saibot posted:

born with them, I think. I suspect a side effect to whatever poo poo his dad did or took in the war, like hopper/agent orange caused cancer in his daughter.

Papa discovered him and designated him 001, and then looked for others. Kali 008 was taken as a toddler (I think she was 4 when this happened?) so I'm guessing the first set were discoveries, and the latter baby ones like El were home cooked with Papas batter and some drugs.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

In season 1 they pretty clearly show Eleven creating the gate/rift in the lab basement by touching the demogorgon while in the sensory deprivation tank, and then immediately saying to Will that she created the gate and therefore is the monster. But clearly they also had another earlier gate since before this she shoved Vecna into it?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dante posted:

In season 1 they pretty clearly show Eleven creating the gate/rift in the lab basement by touching the demogorgon while in the sensory deprivation tank, and then immediately saying to Will that she created the gate and therefore is the monster. But clearly they also had another earlier gate since before this she shoved Vecna into it?

I mean they kind of get around that by the fact that El doesn't remember the earlier events in S1, and Brenner has almost certainly been giving her bad information to keep her under his thumb. El did also seem to seal the gate that she shoved 001 through, so it seems likely that she was probably right about what Brenner was having her do in those experiments we saw in S1 also: while taking $$$ from the US government for remote sensing against Soviet targets, what he was really interested in was finding 001 and getting another gate open.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

A friend of mine is slowly working through season 4 and doesn't want to hear spoilers. But they keep saying that they hate Eleven now because she killed all those children. They don't want to watch the rest of the season and it's like, what do I say?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

LiterallyATomato posted:

A friend of mine is slowly working through season 4 and doesn't want to hear spoilers. But they keep saying that they hate Eleven now because she killed all those children. They don't want to watch the rest of the season and it's like, what do I say?

Their loss.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

My biggest complaint about this season is how inconsistent guns are treated and used overall.
:goonsay:

Sawing off the end of a shotgun doesn't make it demon hell canon, it makes it harder to conceal (which is why they are illegal). 12g buckshot should turn a person into a red mist at close range. 7.62×39mm is enough to cut a dog sized creature in half in full auto. One combat group advancing behind two shields can advance on a group in a defensive position while walking straight down a hallway.

It just kind of takes me out of suspense of disbelief for a moment. Kind of a nitpick I admit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

did you ever consider that demogorgons get bonuses to piercing and blunt force damage but not slashing damage? Or that they've retrofitted their skin into their riot shields?

where DID the sword come from, seriously? did I miss something or was it literally just a completely random thing lying on the ground for Hopper to grab?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

where DID the sword come from, seriously? did I miss something or was it literally just a completely random thing lying on the ground for Hopper to grab?

The guards were playing Thunderdome with the prisoners. I assume someone brought the sword in as a sick gag.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Phenotype posted:

The Russian prisoners grabbed weapons right before the demagorgon came out.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

ultimateforce posted:

My biggest complaint about this season is how inconsistent guns are treated and used overall.

Sawing off the end of a shotgun doesn't make it demon hell canon, it makes it harder to conceal (which is why they are illegal). 12g buckshot should turn a person into a red mist at close range. 7.62×39mm is enough to cut a dog sized creature in half in full auto. One combat group advancing behind two shields can advance on a group in a defensive position while walking straight down a hallway.

It just kind of takes me out of suspense of disbelief for a moment. Kind of a nitpick I admit.

People have mentioned this one but, ventilating a car with AK-47s? A cinderblock wall won't save you its over for everyone in that car.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Cinema cars and people absorb bullets but stops them from passing through due to movie magic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ultimateforce posted:

She sawed it off because the jock guy warned her someone could grab it, not to make it a Doom weapon. Vecna isn't a "person", he's got something else going on. The demodogs have tough skin :shrug:

I agree on your last point though. I wish they came up with some other method of them breaching the lab, but whatever. I know I can't use "it would've worked in an 80's movie" as an excuse for every nitpick in Stranger Things, but it would've worked in an 80's movie.

Everyone complaining about Hopper's final fight scene neglects to mention that the Demogorgon was basically cooked well-done by a flamethrower beforehand; of course it's going to be slower and its natural armor weaker. And the one he "mercy-killed" was cut open (probably by a blowtorch or superheated something or other) and had its guts exposed as an easy target.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I can’t see the video without thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8ffB9JU64

Chieves posted:

I'm fully on board for Separate Ways unseating Don't Stop Believing as the white people party Journey song of choice at this point

:hmmyes: also don’t sleep on Only The Young.

LiterallyATomato posted:

If they don’t want to hear spoilers, there isn’t a lot you can say without giving much away, other than they’re missing out on a lot depending on what episode they stopped on. Like, if they stopped at episode 6, tell they need to at least finish Volume I with episode 7, but if they gave up after just an episode or two, gently caress it, spoil that poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have to admit that until just now, I thought when people were talking about sawed-off guns, they meant shortening the stock and not the barrel. And this despite me having seen Army of Darkness, which I guess gets a visual nod when Nancy cuts the barrel in episode 8 despite being 1990s media.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mulva posted:

1 ate her mind, that's what he does, that's why her mind is completely empty when 11 goes into it. There's literally nothing there. It's not a 'dangling thread'.

Yeah I gotta agree with this. Max's survival is probably the worst thing El could've done, but it was necessary to stop the gates from opening. She saved her body but lost her soul. Now there's an empty body in the real world just waiting for Vecna or the Mind Flayer to inhabit. And they can't kill the body because if she dies the gates split the town again and open up the world to the Upside-Down so her body gets to sit and rot in a coma until they figure out how to fix that (and if she is possessed they can't kill her body for the same reason). For those wanting more horror in their Stranger Things that definitely delivered. I bet it'll be fun as hell to play for the actress, though.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 3, 2022

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have to admit that until just now, I thought when people were talking about sawed-off guns, they meant shortening the stock and not the barrel. And this despite me having seen Army of Darkness, which I guess gets a visual nod when Nancy cuts the barrel in episode 8 despite being 1990s media.

To be fair, Reese saws the stock off a shotgun in Terminator, so that's maybe what you were thinking of. Of course, Red Dawn has a scene of them sawing the barrel off a shotgun which then gets used a bit there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LifeLynx posted:

Everyone complaining about Hopper's final fight scene neglects to mention that the Demogorgon was basically cooked well-done by a flamethrower beforehand; of course it's going to be slower and its natural armor weaker. And the one he "mercy-killed" was cut open (probably by a blowtorch or superheated something or other) and had its guts exposed as an easy target.

The mercy killing there, I just accepted that demogorgons seem to have tough outer skin but are just as vulnerable inside as any other creature. So you shoot it in its open mouth, point-blank, it's gonna die. It's just that they don't usually just let people take shots right down their gullets because they're too fast.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Nancy says, upon sawing off the barrel, that now she can't miss. It's been a long held gun trope that sawing the barrel off a shotgun makes it spray shot in a wide enough cone to clear an entire room. The pattern spread is real with a shorter barrel but not to the degree it's described.

For those who are curious in the state I live in Florida, the statute defines short barreled shotguns are shotguns with a barrel length less than 18 inches or a shotgun modified or altered to be less than 26 inches overall.

This means the very video game looking Mossberg Maverick is legal because overall length is 26 inches. Gun laws are insane, everyone.

Like I said, I admit it really doesn't matter to the story I'm just complaining because I wish they didn't use guns at all in the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Master of Puppets was kinda perfect wasn't it?

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 3, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, both lyrically and because there were some other songs I had in mind when they were starting but then I realized they wouldn't sound as good it if was JUST the lead guitar and nothing else, so they really did have the perfect song in every way.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Chieves posted:

I'm fully on board for Separate Ways unseating Don't Stop Believing as the white people party Journey song of choice at this point

on one hand, I'm so above and beyond sick of hearing Don't Stop Believin, on the other, Separate Ways is the only journey song I can still stand to listen to these days, so I'm torn on that statement.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

It was and I say that as someone who normally doesn’t like Metallica.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The most unrealistic thing in the show has to be Teenagers going into a gun shop and buying a bunch of weapons and poo poo. They're under age how are they buying this poo poo

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
thatsbait.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Oracle posted:

Yeah I gotta agree with this. Max's survival is probably the worst thing El could've done, but it was necessary to stop the gates from opening. She saved her body but lost her soul. Now there's an empty body in the real world just waiting for Vecna or the Mind Flayer to inhabit. And they can't kill the body because if she dies the gates split the town again and open up the world to the Upside-Down so her body gets to sit and rot in a coma until they figure out how to fix that (and if she is possessed they can't kill her body for the same reason). For those wanting more horror in their Stranger Things that definitely delivered. I bet it'll be fun as hell to play for the actress, though.

Did you watch the very end? The gates are definitely open

Hollismason posted:

The most unrealistic thing in the show has to be Teenagers going into a gun shop and buying a bunch of weapons and poo poo. They're under age how are they buying this poo poo

It's rural Indiana. Things are much different in rural areas.

Speculation:
There must always be a Lich King since 001 shaped the Mind Flayer. One of them will have to remain there to keep everything in check.