Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chris Knight posted:

Tin whiskers and Brits are coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the humming
six channels in Ohio

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we also had five channels

except on very clear days with static we got a trinity broadcasting network repeater somewhere deep in tennessee

afaik you still can't get cable there unless you want to pay some like five figures in the 90s cost to run the line out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in my hometown MTV was not available on the cable system because the churches banded together and threatened a mass boycott unless they banned the Satan Hedonism Music Channel so all i had growing up was VH1

this is absolutely not a joke

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sniep posted:

i got an FM radio modulator off ebay that's rated for 24/7 duty cycle that i was thinking of putting rabbit ears on as a household radio station, then piping the last 2-3 episodes of YKS automatically on a raspi to feed it

my own 24/7 YKS station with the latest eps going i could tune in for bed any time i wanted

i just do this with a raspberry pi rebroadcasting somafm through a gpio pin. you dont need to go hard with a modulator really

https://github.com/ChristopheJacquet/PiFmRds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

i just do this with a raspberry pi rebroadcasting somafm through a gpio pin. you dont need to go hard with a modulator really

https://github.com/ChristopheJacquet/PiFmRds

if sniep ever does anything he overengineers it and buys surplus commercial gear

i'm jealous of his micro FM setup tbh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chris Knight posted:

Tin whiskers and Brits are coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the humming
six channels in Ohio

holy moley

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm jealous of his micro FM setup tbh

i mean, me too if im being honest

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also sniep hit me with some search terms for an upgrade, i wanna see how much it'd cost. blonder tongue modulators to do tv broadcast are liek $100-$150 shipped, im hoping an fm doodad would be cheaper (and then i could just pipe audio out to it rather than my hacky pifmrds deal, that poo poo has so much splatter)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah sure those are words

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Diorama posted:

when we got a fifth channel it was a big event, the spice girls were on hand to launch it.

our house was in a bit of a valley and didn't get the signal for Channel 5, but it was all anyone was talking about in the playground the next day

You didn't miss anything
Night fever with suggs
Whittle with tim vine

But remember when they showed a weekly soft core late night film or uncensored "documentary" about nudist colonies at 8pm

Good times

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i guess i got lucky? we had wcbs, wnbc, wnyw, wabc, wwor, wpix and wnet

thats still just 7 but they were good i guess

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Achmed Jones posted:

also sniep hit me with some search terms for an upgrade, i wanna see how much it'd cost. blonder tongue modulators to do tv broadcast are liek $100-$150 shipped, im hoping an fm doodad would be cheaper (and then i could just pipe audio out to it rather than my hacky pifmrds deal, that poo poo has so much splatter)

its literally a blonder tongue fm agile modulator, was like 140 bux shipped

pardon my mess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol sick, thanks!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
tripp lite makes a good power plug

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Silver Alicorn posted:

tripp lite makes a good power plug

all of my power strips are tripp lite isobar

it took me a while to replace them one at a time but now anything important is on one

e: or a APC smart-ups

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Was not expecting to see RF modulators and QAM encoders in this thread but i'm loving it.

Post itt if you know what a time base corrector is.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

in my hometown MTV was not available on the cable system because the churches banded together and threatened a mass boycott unless they banned the Satan Hedonism Music Channel so all i had growing up was VH1

this is absolutely not a joke

mtv didn’t have pop up video so clearly this worked out

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Sniep posted:

i got an FM radio modulator off ebay that's rated for 24/7 duty cycle that i was thinking of putting rabbit ears on as a household radio station, then piping the last 2-3 episodes of YKS automatically on a raspi to feed it

my own 24/7 YKS station with the latest eps going i could tune in for bed any time i wanted

that reminds me, which one of you jokers called in for episode 219?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

susan b buffering posted:

that reminds me, which one of you jokers called in for episode 219?

wait what

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Sniep posted:

this sounds loving awesome

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rufus Ping posted:

You didn't miss anything
Night fever with suggs
Whittle with tim vine

But remember when they showed a weekly soft core late night film or uncensored "documentary" about nudist colonies at 8pm

Good times

early days of channel five when they had no loving idea what they were doing were fascinating. yeah sure put on a nudist gameshow with keith chegwin (rip) why not

and now they’re just boring and do corporate marketing documentaries

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it's july 1st where is the macbook air m2 sales page timb!?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

champagne posting posted:

it's july 1st where is the macbook air m2 sales page timb!?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think the make your own tv channel stuff is what might finally get me to put in the time to set up a NAS.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

yoooo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

frogbs posted:

Was not expecting to see RF modulators and QAM encoders in this thread but i'm loving it.

sadly,

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

I’ve done a lot of random jobs but I never felt more like a real engineer than when I was helping design and build cable system headends

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

frogbs posted:

:wave:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
timb rear end corrector

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u can get a highly illegal chinese fm transmitter for like $100 on amazon. i use one at work. real FCC approved ones new are like 2 grand lol. 1/4 watt vs 1 watt i think idk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
was a revelation when i discovered i could do trick speakers in theatrical settings and also control my outside, lobby, and etc speakers by simply attaching lovely fm receivers to the aux jack of bluetooth speakers lol. extremely cheap solution to being too lazy to run cable

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sometimes, on rare atmosphereic (i assume) occasions, a radio station from san luis obisbo will cut in and replace my muzak with ranchero music

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah part 15 owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

where do you live smythe?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

where do you live smythe?

los angeles

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i was a little kid my dad had a huge rack of esoteric, discarded enterprise cabletv boxes in the basement. some kind of amplifier and other poo poo. no idea what the hell that stuff did but i assume it had something to do with routing a single decoder to multiple tvs around the house. he also taught me how to use the coax crimper which was hard for my child hands. thanks dad.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
another interesting radio thing that happened to me is i was running some stage monitors a while ago right. so i had this loooong piece of unshielded speaker zip wire running from the phones out of a mixing board to a lovely amp that went to 2 speakers on stage right. anyways the speakers would pick up a weird, subtle ratio station despite no antenna being attached. i think this was due to the huge strand of wire just picking it up or something. it was so weird. you could only hear it if you were really close to the speaker. it was like 300 feet over 2 stories. pretty neat and a little spooky.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Hed posted:

I’ve done a lot of random jobs but I never felt more like a real engineer than when I was helping design and build cable system headends

I worked on the transmission side for a small cable channel for a time, right as the switch from RF over coax to fiber was happening. That was a lot of fun.

Smythe posted:

sometimes, on rare atmosphereic (i assume) occasions, a radio station from san luis obisbo will cut in and replace my muzak with ranchero music

Yeah you're probably right, IIRC dense low cloud cover will make AM/FM signals travel further

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shaggar posted:

mobile "games" are a blight

yahtzee sums this up pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30qZSEnI9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

los angeles

ah ok cool. i bet i could get that station too then sometimes, im between slo and you