Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Quoting myself from the Board Games thread, I wonder if this thread would be interested in this sort of topic.
Richard Nixon did run for office, and he even won it, twice. Trying to engage with his mind-set might be interesting, but it doesn't look like that game tries to emulate it very hard, maybe I'm judging it too harshly though.

I don't think board games (or other games for that matter) that engage with a horrible topic need to be about misinformation, although they can be. But look at a game like Twilight Struggle. Some of the effects of the cards (in the game you play with cards that feature historical events and people) don't necessarily make historical sense, but in the grander scheme of the game itself, you as the player are constantly afraid of triggering a nuclear war, which seems like a good lesson to learn.

On the whole, it falls on the shoulders of the game designer to be at least somewhat faithful to history and the events they are trying to portray. I'm vaguely aware that, for a counter-example of sorts, there's a contingent of Warhammer players who think the "Imperium of Man" is actually really super cool and wicked awesome, where it is obviously a fascist murder regime ruled by a dead? god-emperor. Warhammer is fiction, but I don't know if you can entirely avoid, say, wargamers who will think that the Wehrmacht was pretty awesome at making war and don't think too hard about the war crimes and crimes against humanity aspect. Of course it is easier in a sense to just make your wargame about furry forest creatures and avoid this whole debacle, but you as the game designer are still making an entertainment product about mass murder. Or mass death, if we don't consider killing owls and rabbits as murder in the technical sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is that even during the bad times the Imperium of Man was never presented as anything but an utter clusterfuck at every single level. Waging war is basically the only thing it's semi good at mostly due to sheer enthusiasm, and even then it's an empire long past its prime that is decaying from the inside, its responses to the problems it does recognise are ham-fistedly counterproductive, and the few reasonable and competent people in any positions of authority have to work extremely carefully to not get shot by the fascist lunatics who consider any sign of actual humanity to be weakness. Like there's entire genres of jokes and memes about how disparate and schizophrenic every aspect of it is culturally, governmentally and technologically, with an overwhelmed and incomprehensible bureaucracy and entire planets get lost in rounding errors. Technology and science are controlled by a literally religious monopoly enforced militantly and who enforce stagnant doctrine that regards innovation as literal heresy. It's a libertarian's worst fever dreams of Big Government incompetence and tyranny. And probably most realistically fascist in that way.

Like the whole joke with the Tau is that they are the faction who, mentally and socially, are most similar to 21st century humans, who have actual science, rational thinking and pragmatic doctrine of warfare and material conditions, and they see the Imperium as bizarre and frequently insane, even though individual humans can be quite pleasant and even reasonable.

Of course, the short version is something that needs to be repeated a lot to online critics: there's absolutely no point in trying to make your work not appeal to an imagined fascist audience looking for validation, because fascists are dumb as poo poo and will find it anywhere they want to find it.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 2, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fascism in tabletop games deserves WW2 wargames being mentioned. Even now they still really like having the RKKA being mindless zerg rush horde and the SS being ultra disciplined super soldiers. That's a talking point direct from nazis poached after surrender, and in the real war even the Wehrmacht viewed the Waffen-SS as suicidal and incompetent.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Rappaport posted:

Richard Nixon did run for office, and he even won it, twice. Trying to engage with his mind-set might be interesting, but it doesn't look like that game tries to emulate it very hard, maybe I'm judging it too harshly though.

I don't think board games (or other games for that matter) that engage with a horrible topic need to be about misinformation, although they can be.

Yeah, the one good example that commonly gets brought up at lot in this context is Freedom: The Underground Railroad, which I also haven't played. As you might imagine from the name, it is a game about the efforts of abolitionist to attempting fight the institution of slavery to get slaves from the pre-Civil War US to Canada, which is probably about as serious as most board games ever get. The primary difference here is it is full cooperative. All players are fighting against tyranny; no one has to be the tyrant. That has to be a big part about making this subject matter considerably more palatable.

While thinking about ACW games, there is a game that serves as a counter example to my concern that playing a side is an endorsement. It's a less well known example by Amabel Holland called This Guilty Land, which I also haven't played. This game is also about the political struggle over slavery in the Unites States, but it is not a cooperative game against 'the system' like Freedom. However, there can be little mistaking the game's message: one player plays Justice, the other plays Oppression, while a third non-player force called Compromise attempts to maintain the status quo. The game is quite explicitly not endorsing slavery. Of course, having an anti-slavery message might be considered a safe and obvious opinion over a century after the war was won. However, the publisher has a deeper explicit message in this game. They are quoted describing it thusly:

Hollandspiele posted:

When the game ends, the American Civil War begins: the game's argument is that the Civil War was both inevitable and necessary, and through its mechanisms, the game seeks to illustrate why that is the case while still providing a deep and engaging play experience.

This also makes sense considering the source of the title, taken from abolitionist John Brown's final speech before his execution.

John Brown posted:

I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed, it might be done.

So, I would normally say that with adequate gravity and consideration given, it's unlikely one could accidentally construed to be endorsing something terrible, but then again:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

fascists are dumb as poo poo

There is likely only so far we can go to prevent intentional willful misinterpretation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's like that old chestnut about how satire needs clarity of message and purpose, otherwise it's going to be mistaken for what it's satirizing, plus as a game, it also has to be an engaging, otherwise nobody's going to play it. Not necessarily fun, I'd never describe This War of Mine as fun, but it sure as hell is engaging.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fascism in tabletop games deserves WW2 wargames being mentioned. Even now they still really like having the RKKA being mindless zerg rush horde and the SS being ultra disciplined super soldiers. That's a talking point direct from nazis poached after surrender, and in the real war even the Wehrmacht viewed the Waffen-SS as suicidal and incompetent.

WW2 also seems to cultivate the most "what ifs" games that revolve around the Time Life Books commercial mythologies of what if the Nazis had super weapons that worked, or the rumors of Werewolf supersoldiers were real or if magick was real. I always felt the pitch meetings went, "Haha guys, that certainly would be terrible if they did that... unless?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

WW2 also seems to cultivate the most "what ifs" games that revolve around the Time Life Books commercial mythologies of what if the Nazis had super weapons that worked, or the rumors of Werewolf supersoldiers were real or if magick was real. I always felt the pitch meetings went, "Haha guys, that certainly would be terrible if they did that... unless?"

The Nazis were also famously into weird science bullshit and occultism, but really not like the rest weren't? Look up Operation Fairy Flag, and then of course it's the US who invented a brand new superweapon that changed the entire idea of war.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Nazis were also famously into weird science bullshit and occultism, but really not like the rest weren't? Look up Operation Fairy Flag, and then of course it's the US who invented a brand new superweapon that changed the entire idea of war.

Yeah. We can laugh at the crazy poo poo people were coming up with to try to win a war that was at a global scale, but the US had bombs small enough to be carried by a B-52 bomber that was strong enough to devistate entire cities, and even after Hiroshima, Japan's command were basically saying "Okay, sure, they had a super weapon, but it's not like they have more, right?"

Weird science bullshit is only weird science bullshit until it works, is what I'm saying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And yet in wargaming models, the Ratte (nazi land battleship of which 0 were built, would have demolished every bridge and field in Europe, piece of poo poo idea, they never even managed to get Panthers or Tigers working properly) exists in larger numbers than any allied dumbshit weapon. Where's my soviet flying tanks or my british iceberg carriers?

It all feeds the idea of fascism producing hardened elites when our best two examples of fascism, Germany and Italy, produced backstabbing clownshows while the likes of USSR, USA, and UK utterly defeated them in the real world. The T-34 didn't ever even get a turret basket. The loader had to scooby doo around the tank's floor grabbing shells as the turret rotated around him. It still killed vastly more nazi tanks than killed it. Turns out your cool tank with a broke rear end final drive and turret that direct enemy shells into the heads of the unfortunate driver and bow gunner (with their own ammo stored between their loving seats) is not that cool.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 2, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nazi "esoteric science" seems like an area where it's really easy for the Wehraboos to just slap a swastika on Germany, give them a +5 modifier in science and a research tree that is mechanically easier to deal with than, say, the Soviets. It's video games, not table top, sorry, but the Wolfenstein games at least tried to show off "weird Nazi science and occultism poo poo" and make the player think this was all really bad and evil.

Say what you will about the game-play of Half-Life one 2 decades after its launch, but that feels like a good example of a game showing, not telling, through the game-play that the US military-industrial complex is really, really messed up and horrible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The new Wolfenstein games at least made a point that the Nazis stole all their weird science poo poo. (which has its own issues mind)

Though oddly enough, comic books are actually pretty good for 'everyone in WW2 had crazy superweapon poo poo going on', or at least the US and Nazi Germany anyway. Captain America vs the Red Skull and all.

Now I'm picturing a story where a bunch of time travelling nazis are going back to WW2 to try to give the Third Reich superweapons to win the war, but because they're all Nazis they're still a clownshow of delusions and backstabbing sabotating themselves constantly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think it’s worth noting that Twilight Struggle is serious in tone but overtly satirical in design, which is a delicate balance but I think it pulls it off really well.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it’s worth noting that Twilight Struggle is serious in tone but overtly satirical in design, which is a delicate balance but I think it pulls it off really well.
Yeah, TS's whole thing is that it's the Cold War as imagined by the RAND Corporation (and George Kennan and NSC-68 and Henry Kissinger and etc.). Only two players of importance, a perfectly zero-sum contest, constant need to demonstrate toughness, the domino effect is real - it pretty much tries to embody the thinking of the Cold War into its design (and does it brilliantly).

Labyrinth tried to do the same thing except using Thomas Friedman's NYT op-eds about bringing good governance to Islamic countries (at gunpoint, if necessary) as its base modeling assumption and that was much less successful.

A Cold War game built around contemporary Soviet assumptions about what they were doing and why would be incredibly interesting.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 2, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that the political dimension is replaced by superhero fiat, but rather that superhero fiat is an analogy for the political dimension.

Like, ultra powerful entities that we sort of have to work around with ritual and contracts in order to survive in this world already exist. That's any given bureaucracy.

From Miracleman # 16

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

From Miracleman # 16

eat poo poo maggie

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing a story where a bunch of time travelling nazis are going back to WW2 to try to give the Third Reich superweapons to win the war, but because they're all Nazis they're still a clownshow of delusions and backstabbing sabotating themselves constantly.

Harry Turtledove did this but it's pro-apartheid safricans giving kalashnikovs to the CSA

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Twilight Struggle literally makes the world a board with marker chits for you and the opponent, and as a Finn I must say we are woefully underrepresented!, but I'm not sure it's so much a political statement for mister Kissinger as it is trying to make the idea of global thermonuclear war a tangible, game-play reality. Which is what the thread has been discussing. Things like the Vietnam and Korean wars are, essentially, abstracted away into points one side or the other can gain as "gently caress you" moves. This does not represent the reality of these conflicts.

That said, the way their abstraction is portrayed still makes it clear that these are Bad Things you, the player, are doing, but the game mechanics force you into. Which simulates the I suppose Randian view of the Cold War. It is a game of dealing with one crisis after another, and trying to make the best of it. It's easier to win it in the early war with the Soviets by taking over the world with wars of aggression. I don't mean it is a portrayal of world politics as they were, or how they "should have been", just that it makes it clear to the player that it is annihilation by a nuclear storm that is at stake, and the player as the agent should perform accordingly. And it encapsulates that sense of complete, absolute dread and how each turn ticking down makes the player more desperate.

I suppose at its heart it is a game meant to make you hate your opponent, but the same could be said of chess.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One thing that I always thought was pretty hosed up was in HoI4 (don't know if this is true in the current version) if played the USSR and deliberately avoided doing the purges and curbed/replaced Stalin, then right when Germany was about to declare war on you, Trotskyist launch an armed coup. Giving the implication that Stalin was right to do the purges.

Like imagine if they did the same thing with Germany? "Oh, you got rid of Hitler? Well, all your neighbors declare war on you at once while the Jews steal your treasury. I guess you should of done those genocides!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They've patched it sense, so Stalin's paranoia is portrayed more like, well, paranoia. You can get a coup and civil war by Trotsky or Bukharin but you have to actually choose that.

You can, of course, also choose a resurgent White Russia because it's a HoI game, of course you can.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SirPhoebos posted:

One thing that I always thought was pretty hosed up was in HoI4 (don't know if this is true in the current version) if played the USSR and deliberately avoided doing the purges and curbed/replaced Stalin, then right when Germany was about to declare war on you, Trotskyist launch an armed coup. Giving the implication that Stalin was right to do the purges.

Like imagine if they did the same thing with Germany? "Oh, you got rid of Hitler? Well, all your neighbors declare war on you at once while the Jews steal your treasury. I guess you should of done those genocides!"

Its been patched, you can go multiple routes, including a bloodless coup of Stalin if you do the right things

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SirPhoebos posted:

"HoI4... let's see... Lead Designer, Jeff Stalin?!??!"

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a Czech film from the 70s called Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself With Tea which is about a cabal of elderly Nazis using a time machine to go back and help Hitler, but they keep accidentally killing him or psychologically destroying him with knowledge from the future. It's pretty good.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 3, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Slantedfloors posted:

There's a Czech film from the 70s called Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scaled Myself With Tea which is about a cabal of elderly Nazis using a time machine to go back and help Hitler, but they keep accidentally killing him or psychologically destroying him with knowledge from the future. It's pretty good.

Man, I wish I watched that old foreign time travel movie in film class instead of La Jetée (which is good, but this sounds hilarious).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I don't know how it's been since the reboot, but Legends of the Five Rings has some really hosed up politics, not just from the narrative and mechanics but also (at least in early editions) how the writers wanted you to play it.

"Feudalism and Xenophobia are metaphysically endorsed and trying to dismantle this faux fantasy Japan puts you on the side of actual Hell. But if you go along with it the GM is encouraged to emphasize what horrible people your characters are for being the tools of oppression." It's like a game that's meant to make you feel bad for playing it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Debate and Discussion: John Wick Has Some Weird Politics.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
while i'm not inclined to give John Wick in particular the benefit of the doubt, how would you best implement a game where the players are supposed to be people "of their era" in some genuinely uncomfortable context and discourage players from trying to pseudo-isekai their way to modernity, at least as a default state of play? like, we've obviously seen the bad way, what's the good one?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

while i'm not inclined to give John Wick in particular the benefit of the doubt, how would you best implement a game where the players are supposed to be people "of their era" in some genuinely uncomfortable context and discourage players from trying to pseudo-isekai their way to modernity, at least as a default state of play? like, we've obviously seen the bad way, what's the good one?

Besides the Glorantha method of having the setting being self-reinforcing?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it starts with a close examination of who the players are supposed to be playing, and what these characters are trying to achieve and what the central struggle is. Then make sure that the mechanics of the game are central to that struggle. And if you have the resources to create a published adventure, make sure that it aligns with the message you are trying to get across. All of this, of course, requires that you not be in love with the smell of your own farts.

There probably is an RPG out there that would be good for playing minor nobility dealing with being complicit in the injustices of society, and then trying to correct them from a position of privilege, balancing doing what is right against jeopardizing all they've ever known. It could even be fun to play, but such a game probably would not have complicated combat systems with a dozen sword styles to pick from, and doesn't devote lots of text to explaining why one noble house hates the other.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't know how it's been since the reboot, but Legends of the Five Rings has some really hosed up politics, not just from the narrative and mechanics but also (at least in early editions) how the writers wanted you to play it.

"Feudalism and Xenophobia are metaphysically endorsed and trying to dismantle this faux fantasy Japan puts you on the side of actual Hell. But if you go along with it the GM is encouraged to emphasize what horrible people your characters are for being the tools of oppression." It's like a game that's meant to make you feel bad for playing it.
As someone who played a lot of the RPG but barely touched the card game, the answer was always there at the fringes and made downright explicit by the end of the line (the setting evolutions the turboweeb fandom hated and got reverted by the new edition): embrace it, really play up the Forgotten Realms-like “the gods are all malevolent and living under their rule is intolerable for a hero” aspects. Even the earliest stuff was very clear that the Rokugani were not alone in the world, and the Celestial Order didn’t apply outside of their borders. Later developments made it explicit, with stuff like “oh, replacing the psychopathic evil moon god removed ‘lunacy’ as a literally true concept in-setting” and “oh if we stop trying to He Who Should Not Be Named-ing our god of corruption, we can change the terms of the Shadowlands from ‘completely uncontrolled’ to ‘must be willingly accepted’, tight”, along w/ the PROMISE of the Spider Clan (stop treating untouchables like trash and they’ll stop beelining towards blood cults as their only source of power - yes I’m aware what actually happened).

L5R in general makes much more sense when you think of the Kami as a deliberately Regressive force.

[Edit: The Ivory Kingdoms box was among my favorite of all things put out in the setting, including the in-character diary of a noble sent there and quickly realizing her old way of life sucks rear end and slowly warming to the freedoms and customs of this new land.]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 3, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh is it time to talk about how religion in the FR makes sense and is perfectly fine but people don’t like it for nonsense reasons in this thread

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Arivia posted:

Oh is it time to talk about how religion in the FR makes sense and is perfectly fine but people don’t like it for nonsense reasons in this thread
The setting where deities themselves intervene and murder anyone who disturbs their Funko pop case by inventing or changing things is not, in fact, “fine”

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 3, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Look, Helm can take a steaming dump into the nearest heap and watch (get it) me not giving a poo poo (get it?).

The deities in FR don't make any sense at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

The setting where deities themselves intervene and murder anyone who disturbs their Funko pop case by inventing or changing things is not, in fact, “fine”

I genuinely have no idea what you’re complaining about. It’s obvious it’s not about the Wall of the Faithless but beyond that you’ve lost me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The gods of the forgotten realms drat well know my demands for supporting them. Just pop on over when Elminster next raids Ed's beer fridge and do me a polymorph, and I'll devote my life to realmslore, simple as.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Arivia posted:

I genuinely have no idea what you’re complaining about. It’s obvious it’s not about the Wall of the Faithless but beyond that you’ve lost me.

If only you would open your mind and read the Cyrinishad, you would understand.

Bony-Eared Assfish fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 4, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Besides the Glorantha method of having the setting being self-reinforcing?

Having a world where the laws of physics just don't work is a pretty good way to prevent modernization, yeah.

I've seen one thing where a trash plane of existence made out of a bunch of shards of other planes of existence normally has people just powering through with magic, but one scientist had to figure out how to deal with the shifting laws of physics in order to compete.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Discworld at least has the gods be recognised as petty, childish assholes who literally treat the Disc as a game board.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Discworld at least has the gods be recognised as petty, childish assholes who literally treat the Disc as a game board.

And get regularly semi dunked on. I also liked Offler, who had been around so long that he'd changed the rules of his faith to be more human friendly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rappaport posted:

Twilight Struggle literally makes the world a board with marker chits for you and the opponent, and as a Finn I must say we are woefully underrepresented!, but I'm not sure it's so much a political statement for mister Kissinger as it is trying to make the idea of global thermonuclear war a tangible, game-play reality. Which is what the thread has been discussing. Things like the Vietnam and Korean wars are, essentially, abstracted away into points one side or the other can gain as "gently caress you" moves. This does not represent the reality of these conflicts.

That said, the way their abstraction is portrayed still makes it clear that these are Bad Things you, the player, are doing, but the game mechanics force you into. Which simulates the I suppose Randian view of the Cold War. It is a game of dealing with one crisis after another, and trying to make the best of it. It's easier to win it in the early war with the Soviets by taking over the world with wars of aggression. I don't mean it is a portrayal of world politics as they were, or how they "should have been", just that it makes it clear to the player that it is annihilation by a nuclear storm that is at stake, and the player as the agent should perform accordingly. And it encapsulates that sense of complete, absolute dread and how each turn ticking down makes the player more desperate.

I suppose at its heart it is a game meant to make you hate your opponent, but the same could be said of chess.

The Designer's Notes for Twilight Struggle are worth a read.

quote:

Twilight Struggle does not reach beyond its means. Wherever there were compromises to make between realism and playability, we sided with playability. We want to evoke the feel of the Cold War, we hope people get a few insights they didn’t possess, but we have no pretensions that a game of this scope or length could pretend to be a simulation.

Also important for players to understand is that the game has a very definite point of view. Twilight Struggle basically accepts all of the internal logic of the Cold War as true—even those parts of it that are demonstrably false. Therefore, the only relationships that matter in this game are those between a nation and the superpowers. The world provides a convenient chess board for US and Soviet ambitions, but all other nations are mere pawns (with perhaps the occasional bishop) in that game. Even China is abstracted down to a card that is passed between the two countries. Furthermore, not only does the domino theory work, it is a prerequisite for extending influence into a region. Historians would rightly dispute all of these assumptions, but in keeping with the design philosophy, we think they make a better game.

One very notable difference between Twilight Struggle and other Cold War games is that we assume nuclear war would be a bad thing. Many other designs make the whole idea of letting the nuclear genie out the bottle irresistible. From our vantage point of hindsight, nuclear war was unthinkable, and that is why it did not happen. Yes, we came close, but we believe that rational actors would veer away from the button. Once the button was pushed, nuclear war would have taken on a grim logic of its own, and human extinction might have been the result.

There's more in there but that's probably the most relevant part for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

AmiYumi posted:

L5R in general makes much more sense when you think of the Kami as a deliberately Regressive force.

Mantis clan is about respectability politics, and Yoritomo did nothing wrong. I stopped playing at scorpion clan coup and will assume the storyline continued with no wild swerves.