Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fezball posted:

Screamer 2 maybe? It's a little older than what you asked for, but it sure has some blocky brown canyons.

I came here to suggest this. I played the poo poo out of this game. The sound of the wheels on the cobble road :kiss

A video to possibly help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkyuVjsv3U

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I came here to suggest this. I played the poo poo out of this game. The sound of the wheels on the cobble road :kiss

A video to possibly help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkyuVjsv3U

OH, it was also open world and way newer than that. Plus tuner cars

Sininu fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 24, 2022

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Sininu posted:

OH, it was also open world and way newer than that. Plus tuner cars

I'm not much of a racing fan, but open-world should narrow it down a lot when talking 2007-ish. Burnout Paradise or Fuel maybe?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

fezball posted:

I'm not much of a racing fan, but open-world should narrow it down a lot when talking 2007-ish. Burnout Paradise or Fuel maybe?
Tuner cars. Those games are too new and did Fuel have a big city like NFS games?

First Juiced seems closest so far, I even had a copy that I never even got to install when I was little. It has tuner cars, day and nighttime, city. But I don't know if it had areas outside city that had brown canyon walls or if it was open world. The game I played must've been open world because I remember driving around with no pressure.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 24, 2022

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I know for a fact this isn't the game you are talking about, but it reminded me I used to love playing a game on my friends pc in the early 90s called Vette!

The canyon bit reminded me of when you went across the Golden Gate Bridge. :xd:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Probably too well known, but just in case I'll throw in Midtown Madness 2. I don't remember the map layout but it definitely had freeroam mode.

Edit: It does have cops but you can shut them off on the screen where you set time of day and weather and stuff.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 24, 2022

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Brown canyons and playing on a CRT made me think of Big Red Racing

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Could it be LA Rush? Released 2005, looks to have a really brown canyon, as seen in the early seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIqUt_Knens

It does seem to have cops tho so that might not be it

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Test Drive Unlimited?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fake Name posted:

Brown canyons and playing on a CRT made me think of Big Red Racing

I feel like you and I are the only people who have ever heard of and/or played this game.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Big Red Racing and Midtown Madness are too old, LA Rush and TDU are completely lacking the tuner car element. Late 90's, early 2000's tuner cars are very important to this memory!!! Juiced and NFS: Underground give me good vibes of that game, but aren't it. I think it must've been released between 2000 and 2006 now after seeing bunch of games.
It's still possible that it was Juiced and I misremember the missing elements...

Definitely not. The canyons were actual vertical walls and game had visual quality much closer or matching Juiced and NFS:U.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 24, 2022

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Street Legal Racing: Redline?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
There was one published by Sierra and I think it was based on a certain model but I don't remember the name of it. Only played the demo but I think it matches from memory.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Dip Viscous posted:

Probably too well known, but just in case I'll throw in Midtown Madness 2. I don't remember the map layout but it definitely had freeroam mode.

Edit: It does have cops but you can shut them off on the screen where you set time of day and weather and stuff.

i loved the midtown/motocross madness games, so much fun

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JPrime posted:

i loved the midtown/motocross madness games, so much fun

I remember being freaked out by the UFO easter egg in Motocross Madness... 2?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I feel like you and I are the only people who have ever heard of and/or played this game.

Nah, my brother and I would split screen drive around for hours, sharing the keyboard, in the demo on the PC Gamer CD

"This track is wet and wild... like me"

I will say that it doesn't hold up on revisit because it leans REAL hard into racist caricature

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

It was an mmo style game, but Motor City Online?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Custard Undies posted:

It was an mmo style game, but Motor City Online?

anyone ever play this? i bought it when it was still new and never got to actually play it online

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not true! I played it a lot back in the day.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

ALFbrot posted:

Nah, my brother and I would split screen drive around for hours, sharing the keyboard, in the demo on the PC Gamer CD

"This track is wet and wild... like me"

I will say that it doesn't hold up on revisit because it leans REAL hard into racist caricature

What was the timeframe? There's probably an archive of PC Gamer CDs somewhere, that should help.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That was re: Big Red Racing

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm trying to remember a game.

It's a top down space shooter that let you go in any direction you want.
It's for the PC and I want to say it was released in the early 2000's
A major gameplay element was a space station, I seem to remember you had to protect and maybe upgrade it.
It was fairly story heavy with a fair bit of dialogue.
The character portraits were 2d and colourful, I can't remember if they were anime influenced by they were cartoony.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Is it Starscape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZybT_l5lTFI

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yes, that's it exactly, thank you!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Not a singular game, but growing up on my lovely PC I had a disk with a handful of Sega genesis games on it. I remember Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles, Kid Chameleon, Shining Force 1, and a platformer where you played as sone kinda orb guy and shot sparklies at enemies. I wanna say it had more games on it but thats all I remember for sure.

E: Oh, and some beat em up that had a strong comic aesthetic to it

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

BrightWing posted:

Not a singular game, but growing up on my lovely PC I had a disk with a handful of Sega genesis games on it. I remember Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles, Kid Chameleon, Shining Force 1, and a platformer where you played as sone kinda orb guy and shot sparklies at enemies. I wanna say it had more games on it but thats all I remember for sure.

The first game sounds like Vectorman.

The other game is Comix Zone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BrightWing posted:

Last one is probably Comix Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azIZwsCGjW0

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BrightWing posted:

The orb guy game is Vectorman and the beat ‘em up is probably Comix Zone. Not sure which exact compilation it is, Sega did a bunch of them

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Test one-two.... SEEEEEgaaaaa

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maybe Sega Smash Pack 2? It had Sonic 2, Kid Chameleon, Shining Force, Vectorman 2 and Comix Zone

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sega_Smash_Pack_2

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm trying to figure out a game I played decades ago at my uncle's house. I think it was mac exclusive or at least playable on one. It was a 2D puzzle adventure game where all the characters were shapes and spoke with weird q bert voices. I think the games might have actually taken place inside the computer but that might just be conflating another game with it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zaggitz posted:

I'm trying to figure out a game I played decades ago at my uncle's house. I think it was mac exclusive or at least playable on one. It was a 2D puzzle adventure game where all the characters were shapes and spoke with weird q bert voices. I think the games might have actually taken place inside the computer but that might just be conflating another game with it.

System's Twilight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcln72yqO0s

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy poo poo it's real. That's the one, thanks!!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Maybe Sega Smash Pack 2? It had Sonic 2, Kid Chameleon, Shining Force, Vectorman 2 and Comix Zone

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sega_Smash_Pack_2

You know, I think this is it! Thank you so much guys!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Trying to remember an arcade game from maybe the mid-90s. Side-scrolling platform action where the player was a tiny little ninja. You could see their big eyes in their ninja hood. I recall it being named "JT-109" but Google gives me no hits on that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

IMJack posted:

Trying to remember an arcade game from maybe the mid-90s. Side-scrolling platform action where the player was a tiny little ninja. You could see their big eyes in their ninja hood. I recall it being named "JT-109" but Google gives me no hits on that.

One of the Ninja Jajamaru-kun games?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Shiiiiit this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5MeBSmWDlM

Thank you! That's been bugging me off and on for years.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
For my last question, it actually was Anno 1404, I thought i'd spot that mechanic by the time of writing a post but didn't. Sorry :ohdear:

And now another pair , very easy, questions:

Two pretty well-known arcade (as in actual arcade coin-ops) beat-em ups from the 90s:

Game A: 4 players, they could get mech "mounts" during the game. One was a military-ish hero (possibly Captain Something), another was a mummy fighting with twin daggers, and another was a baby piloting a mech (yes, you could have a mech piloted by another mech piloted by a baby)

Game B: Possibly Neo-Geo?, player characters were robots and could swap body parts (arms, legs for tracks, etc.) during the game, by salvaging them from killed enemies etc.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pierzak posted:

Game A: 4 players, they could get mech "mounts" during the game. One was a military-ish hero (possibly Captain Something), another was a mummy fighting with twin daggers, and another was a baby piloting a mech (yes, you could have a mech piloted by another mech piloted by a baby)

Captain Commando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Pierzak posted:

Game B: Possibly Neo-Geo?, player characters were robots and could swap body parts (arms, legs for tracks, etc.) during the game, by salvaging them from killed enemies etc.

Sounds like Cyborg Justice for the Megadrive?