Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bayham Badger posted:

the russians used a pencil

this comment needs more love.

Funny story. So one day I walk in to my FOH job at the German bistro I work at and notice that the 6 pan that usually holds flat leaf parsley for schnitzel garnish contains cilantro instead. We do not use cilantro for anything. I tell the expo, "hey, that's not parsley, it's cilantro." He replies, "it's parsley." Okay... So I mention it to another server, who looks up parsley on her phone and helpfully shows me a picture: "see, it's parsley!" No, it's not. So I tell the chef/GM, who should know the loving difference. HE tells me, "oh no, that's just flat leaf parsley!" and then tastes some. "See, it's parsley!" Ten seconds later he's like "no, wait... you're right, I'm sorry, this is cilantro."

We still used it.

The purveyor had mislabeled it as parsley.

"Go to culinary school, "they said. "You'll be respected as a chef" they said...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
That was close. German food would have accidentally tasted good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Always loved having anything butternut. Butt Nut 7/17

That's my son's birthday, I have a new nickname for him thanks

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Must be a coincidence when menus have butternut specials the week of June 9th.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Butter cream gets labled "butt cream" and I laugh because I am 5 years old.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Democratic Pirate posted:

Must be a coincidence when menus have butternut specials the week of June 9th.

Packed at 4:20pm

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

You're mostly right, except that it's the same person doing each step. You aren't seriously demonstrating the efficiency of the method as evidence of its inefficiency are you? You're better than that.

I'm not commenting on this anymore.

Haha no just poking fun, but thank you

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The Maestro posted:

The most efficient is to have one person rolling the tape out, one person following behind and writing on it, one person following behind to cut it, and the first person loops back around to place the tape. Meanwhile someone is supervising and someone else is asking how long until tape is up.

Oompa loompa doompity do...

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
We went from awesome (but prolly expensive) stickers that washed off easily to a janky sticker printer that leaves a gnarly residue if you don't remove the sticker before washing (which half the time dishers don't do lol)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oh no, not residue on the outside of the containers

Using a sticker printer would be the "chaotic evil" square of the alignment chart for labeling vs the various masking tape/writing directly on the container methods as far as wasting time goes lmao

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 4, 2022

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

FFT posted:

oh no, not residue on the outside of the containers

Using a sticker printer would be the "chaotic evil" square of the alignment chart for labeling vs the various masking tape/writing directly on the container methods as far as wasting time goes lmao

Huge waste of time, nobody likes it, must be Another Great Idea From Corporate!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

nudejedi posted:

Huge waste of time, nobody likes it, must be Another Great Idea From Corporate!
You're right, it's clearly Lawful Evil

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

nudejedi posted:

We went from awesome (but prolly expensive) stickers that washed off easily to a janky sticker printer that leaves a gnarly residue if you don't remove the sticker before washing (which half the time dishers don't do lol)

Ngl i wouldnt either lol, aint no dishwasher paid enough to care about the stickers

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ngl i wouldnt either lol, aint no dishwasher paid enough to care about the stickers
Having washed a dish or twelve million in my life, yeah I hear that.

nudejedi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 4, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Why has no one mentioned the puns or toxic sex jokes or funny names that you are supposed to write on labels? Like "pork lion" with a doodle of a pig with a mane or "garlick my balls" or "simple sizzurp".

Buncha try hard fancy pants ~fine dining~ assholes here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I dunno, i don't tend to tolerate toxic sex jokes in kitchens I run :shrug:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

Why has no one mentioned the puns or toxic sex jokes or funny names that you are supposed to write on labels? Like "pork lion" with a doodle of a pig with a mane or "garlick my balls" or "simple sizzurp".

Buncha try hard fancy pants ~fine dining~ assholes here.
Noted for the Landerig square when I update the chart

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The toxic sexiness of “garlick my balls”

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

oh relax you do it too

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

parthenocarpy posted:

oh relax you do it too

Butt nut is funny and harmless. Labeling creme fraiche "cum" or whatever is not. Don't project

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What projecting? If you find it inconceivable that "nut" and "butt" exclusively paired could be construed as a sexual joke, hats off to you and the toxic-free kitchens you run

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

parthenocarpy posted:

What projecting? If you find it inconceivable that "nut" and "butt" exclusively paired could be construed as a sexual joke, hats off to you and the toxic-free kitchens you run

o.k.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I like writing Boogers on the burgers

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only way to use masking tape labels wrong is by not folding in one of the corners for easy removal before it hits the pit.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Non toxic sex jokes only here too

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
a pickup order today had the name analisia

does that count as a sex joke

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother posted:

I don't know if he's dyslexic or doesn't really know English or what, but my buddy seems to forget how to spell Provolone about halfway through writing it, so it ends up being a Strong Bad word like "pormalobo."

Provolone

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The Maestro posted:

The most efficient is to have one person rolling the tape out, one person following behind and writing on it, one person following behind to cut it, and the first person loops back around to place the tape. Meanwhile someone is supervising and someone else is asking how long until tape is up.

One man labels, the second man follows. When the first man falls, the second man picks up the roll of tape.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

One man labels, the second man follows. When the first man falls, the second man picks up the roll of tape.

And there was only one set of footprints in the kitchen

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Imagine four rolls of masking tape on the edge of a prep table...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

One of the restaurants I washed dishes in had two crying stations. One where you could cry alone, and one where you could cry with/be comforted by others. We'd frequently find servers who held no promise of rising beyond that status in the public spot by themselves for dumb infractions, anticipating a soothing voice from people too busy to care, so you'd only see close friends congregating there. The dedicated solo weeping pit behind the ice machine was rarely occupied and only by sommeliers or managers after a gently caress up imagined to be worse than it usually was. The visits were mostly short because it was next to a wine glass polishing station, just one person polishing glasses for a full shift, typically the least competent FOH person around, and so you'd cry sort of around the corner from an untalented coworker for however long that took.

My prop bet buddy Teal was talking with one of our talented servers for a good length of time at the dish pit entry. Teal was a good listener and he loved to give advice on everything. He got along with everybody. With the roar of the ecolab next to me, I didn't clearly hear anything they were saying most of the two minute conversation, but I fully witnessed the end of it.

"gently caress you Teal, don't tell me how to shape my loving face. Ever. Or any other woman."

She leaves, the dishwasher is now silent, and Teal is looking at me slack jawed. I asked him, "what did you say?"

"Nothing, I didn't say anything, I said she should smile more."

"Teal, that's like telling a woman she should wear more makeup," I said

And, unconvinced that he made a mistake, Teal began asking everyone who dropped a dirty dish or brought us food what was so wrong with telling a woman to smile more. Literally. Every. Person.

I'd shut off the machine to hear these exchanges because people were becoming horrified. They loved him, and couldn't imagine he was talking about something at work.

"No, teal, you did not say that here. You told your girlfriend? Who?"
"Women should smile more? Anything else? How are my shoes, my hair?"

And because he was quizzing everyone, it didn't take long for those people to figure out a reliable server was utilizing the cramped single crying station after receiving beauty tips from a dishwasher.

Teal extended his inquiries ("is it bad if you tell a girl to smile more") to all the contacts on his phone, and the mixed results from fellow paroles kept him guessing. All the women in his life who replied gave nothing but good Baptist style truth to keep his loving mouth shut. It was around here that he started catching real poo poo from the FOH staff, dozens of whom would encircle this woman if she didn't want to be alone.

I had to know if Teal asked his mom the same question, and he said yes, but she hadn't replied. This was a golden opportunity for me.

"Twenty says she calls you nuts."

"Deal," my degenerate gambler pal says. "I know what my mama's gonna say."

Months earlier, Teal confided to me he was born to a freebase cocaine addict mother had little involvement in his life until his teenage years. "They separated us at birth," he explained to me once, "crack addicted baby, crack addicted mama. But we were a team back then smoking that crack, we're a team on everything."

And, by God, Teal's mother replied

"Oh I always said you should smile more. I think its good advice for anyone. Especially those that don't."

So that's the dumbest 20 I've lost in a kitchen

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 11, 2022

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

parthenocarpy posted:

One of the restaurants I washed dishes in had two crying stations.

This whole thing is loving poetry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel like "smile more" is something almost every female server (and a good chunk of male ones) has heard from management. It doesn't make it less hosed up, but they expect you to show up to a table with the energy that literally the only thing you could possibly ever want to do is make sure this individual customer has the best dining experience of their life.

Edit: when my dad was working in phone tech support decades ago, management gave everyone a fridge magnet with a mirror on it and roughly the phrase "Remember, the customer can hear your smile."

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 11, 2022

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I feel like "smile more" is something almost every female server (and a good chunk of male ones) has heard from management. It doesn't make it less hosed up, but they expect you to show up to a table with the energy that literally the only thing you could possibly ever want to do is make sure this individual customer has the best dining experience of their life.

It’s…it’s also the mask off “your value here (literally your wages) is directly tied to how your appearance makes me/us/them feel” that robs a person of their agency and makes the service/servitude continuum collapse. While not restricted to women, it’s uh, pretty pervasive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's still advice given out to people interviewing for jobs and whatnot to make recruiters like you.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I feel like there's a difference between the general advice of smile more being given to everyone on the team, and being told individually that you, yes you, need to smile more

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i immediately assume anyone that demands someone else smile for them is some kind of pervert

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Goast posted:

i immediately assume anyone that demands someone else smile for them is some kind of pervert

Smile for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
https://youtu.be/WDXr-Z854OY